Can this team as currently assembled win 41 games?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject:

41 wins is tough. Strictly on roster. I don't think we're a league average team. We have more potential than most teams. But our guys are still young and dumb.
And if you ignore roster. We're playing in the best division, in the best conference in the league. So our schedule won't do us any favors.

It's not like we're in the Weakstern conference.

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
41 wins is tough. Strictly on roster. I don't think we're a league average team. We have more potential than most teams. But our guys are still young and dumb.
And if you ignore roster. We're playing in the best division, in the best conference in the league.

I have faith that Mozgov and Deng are gonna help us win unlike the other vets we signed or acquired the last couple of years.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
kikanga wrote:
And if you ignore roster. We're playing in the best division, in the best conference in the league.

I have faith that Mozgov and Deng are gonna help us win unlike the other vets we signed or acquired the last couple of years.

You misspelled it. It's Mozgod!
Deng is a league average SF. And an above average stretch 4.
But I don't know if Mozgov is a league average starting center. We'll see.
We have soo much potential. I just think our young guys lack reps/experience. And the NBA is a man's league. No Boys Allowed.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
kikanga wrote:

We have soo much potential. I just think our young guys lack reps/experience. And the NBA is a man's league. No Boys Allowed.

I still think we can be competitive, especially if the young guys come back Improved.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I still think we can be competitive, especially if the young guys come back Improved.

Ya sure. We'll have alot of good, close games.
In terms of wins. We'll go as far as our defense takes us.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Ya sure. We'll have alot of good, close games.
In terms of wins. We'll go as far as our defense takes us.

Yep.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject:

We might crack 40 wins next season. There is a very low probability of it happening this season. Way too much inexperience. Even our coach is inexperienced.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject:

Last season we had just a couple of players above league average and one of them is not with us anymore.

Clarkson had above average numbers before his injury and with one more offseason training I have him as a lock to be above average.

Russell, Randle and Nance were not far apart and from what I've seen in summer league they all have potential to elevate their games to this level on the second season.

How many wins can a team with average players across the board win? I'd like to see some historical stats.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject:

Anything over 30 wins is a very good thing; as assembled, I'll say we win 34 games, doubling our win total from last season, and moving in a forward direction.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Anything over 30 wins is a very good thing; as assembled, I'll say we win 34 games, doubling our win total from last season, and moving in a forward direction.

Yeah. It would be a great step in the right direction. I predicted 33 wins but I still think I'am being optimistic. We'll see.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject:

I think 28-32 is about right.

I think that shoots upwards depending on the improvement of our young guys (DLO/JC/Randle/Nance/Black/Brown) and our rookies.

I think we have a decent sense of what Deng/Moz/Calderon will bring to the table.

I'm hoping we can be more of a 35-40 win team, but as of now, 28-32 seems more appropriate.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
“The expectations, to me, aren’t going to be wins and losses, right now at least. The expectations are going to be the way we play,” said Walton. “It’s about having an edge when you play, it’s about competing every single time on offense and defense, it’s about playing the right way.”

I really like that Walton quote. People who expects a high number of wins or hope for playoffs are gonna be disappointed. Just look at where we were last season. A chaotic circus act with no direction. One step a time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Quote:
“The expectations, to me, aren’t going to be wins and losses, right now at least. The expectations are going to be the way we play,” said Walton. “It’s about having an edge when you play, it’s about competing every single time on offense and defense, it’s about playing the right way.”

I really like that Walton quote. People who expects a high number of wins or hope for playoffs are gonna be disappointed. Just look at where we were last season. A chaotic circus act with no direction. One step a time.

And quotes like this confirm to me that the team won't be tanking, i.e. deliberately aiming to lose for purposes of a higher draft lotto position. They are going to be setting up a framework this year that will make the Lakers more attractive to FAs in 2017.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think 28-32 is about right.

I think that shoots upwards depending on the improvement of our young guys (DLO/JC/Randle/Nance/Black/Brown) and our rookies.

I think we have a decent sense of what Deng/Moz/Calderon will bring to the table.

I'm hoping we can be more of a 35-40 win team, but as of now, 28-32 seems more appropriate.

I agree with your assessment, we need 1 more piece but as of now I will take 30 wins.
Gomur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject:

ESPN forecasts an 8-game improvement (25-57) and bottom finish in the Western Conference.

15. Los Angeles Lakers
Proj. record: 25-57
Last season: 17-65

The 2016-17 season will be the first since 1995-96 without Kobe Bryant in a Lakers uniform. Kobe's retirement might not help ticket sales, but it will give D'Angelo Russell and Brandon Ingram a chance to shine in L.A.'s spotlight. That should allow the Lakers a chance to improve on a franchise-worst 17 wins last season.

Here's the link for the full conference rundown:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17131591/2016-summer-forecast-west-standings
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

Gomur wrote:
ESPN forecasts an 8-game improvement (25-57) and bottom finish in the Western Conference.

15. Los Angeles Lakers

The 2016-17 season will be the first since 1995-96 without Kobe Bryant in a Lakers uniform. Kobe's retirement might not help ticket sales, but it will give D'Angelo Russell and Brandon Ingram a chance to shine in L.A.'s spotlight. That should allow the Lakers a chance to improve on a franchise-worst 17 wins last season.

The lives on. What is dead may never die!
They have us with the 3rd worst record in the league. Think the pick is top 3 protected too. Should be interesting.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Gomur wrote:

15. Los Angeles Lakers

They have us with the 3rd worst record in the league. Think the pick is top 3 protected too. Should be interesting.

Nah. Again, it may be a matter of semantics, but I don't see the Lakers intentionally looking to torpedo the team just get a more favorable draft position.

We may organically end up losing and being a bottom 5 team, but based on Luke's comments and the overall vibe of the team, they are going to compete every night.

Hate to say it but our luck of top 3 picks IMO has run out with DLO/Ingram...which is an amazing haul.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject:

Hard to say. Depends on how we start the season. Assuming that kids play better with more experience... if we start on or around .500, then i think so. But if we start slowly and need to catch up, it will be tough.

Clarkson, Randle, DLO and Nance have been through a season now so I expect them to make a big leap. Deng, Mosgov, Calderon and Lou... you know what you're going to get. Ingram, Zubac and Black are the big unknowns. Ingram in particular needs to have a ROY type season for us to be on or around 41 wins.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Gomur wrote:

15. Los Angeles Lakers

Nah. Again, it may be a matter of semantics, but I don't see the Lakers intentionally looking to torpedo the team just get a more favorable draft position.

We may organically end up losing and being a bottom 5 team, but based on Luke's comments and the overall vibe of the team, they are going to compete every night.

Hate to say it but our luck of top 3 picks IMO has run out with DLO/Ingram...which is an amazing haul.

Like the last few seasons. I'm not rooting for a tank job.
We have enough young prospects.
But like the last few seasons. If things go really south ... I won't mind getting a top 3 pick for our troubles. It can always be used as a valuable trade asset.

Just want to be clear. Not rooting for the tank. Just saying I will take a top 3 pick consolation prize, if that's where things end up.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject:

Gomur wrote:

15. Los Angeles Lakers

They have been accurate the last 2 or so years. I think a half-way decent coach could have gotten us to 25 wins last year. Kobe wasn't the same Kobe. Those were just two factors. Luke and Deng are definitely upgrades. I see more than an 8 game improvement, IMO.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Quote:

Yes, just like we weren't going to fill every hole in one offseason, we won't build a contender that quick either. Using yinoma's range (which I agree with) winning 30 games would almost double our output from last season. A similar jump in 2017-2018 would mean we would be in the playoff hunt.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Gomur wrote:

15. Los Angeles Lakers

They have been accurate the last 2 or so years. I think a half-way decent coach could have gotten us to 25 wins last year. Kobe wasn't the same Kobe. Those were just two factors. Luke and Deng are definitely upgrades. I see more than an 8 game improvement, IMO.

Once again it depends how fast the young players grow.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Quote:

Yes, just like we weren't going to fill every hole in one offseason, we won't build a contender that quick either. Using yinoma's range (which I agree with) winning 30 games would almost double our output from last season. A similar jump in 2017-2018 would mean we would be in the playoff hunt.

28-32 wins is my range for 2016, and am hoping we def beat that mark.

Then in 2017, I'd be shooting for mid 40s.
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject:

As difficult as it is to win 73 games its pretty easy to win more than 17 games, this 10 game improvement is either slick reverse marketing or a total lack of reality by some know it all ESPN analyst that wears too much make up, there is no way we dont win atleast 30 games
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Quote:

And quotes like this confirm to me that the team won't be tanking, i.e. deliberately aiming to lose for purposes of a higher draft lotto position. They are going to be setting up a framework this year that will make the Lakers more attractive to FAs in 2017.

Are these quotes different from what Byron Scott said?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11
Jump to: