The boos for Jim Buss
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gomur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject:

The rationale behind MDA made sense at the time. Nash would drive the offense and who better to manage the team than his most successful coach? If health permitted, then maybe we would've seen Dwight skying for lobs like Amare. People love to criticize after the fact, but I remember the dizzying high Lakerland experienced that summer before the season.

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
He's actually right.

Coming from one of the more interesting and entertaining posters I am not surprised to hear you voice your opinion on that side. The fact is that the choice to hire MDA over Phil was a minor blip and anyone who agreed with it currently has the patience to endure a rebuild. Even if PJ fans are too stubborn or stupid to believe it.

Fixed.

Last edited by Gomur on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
He's actually right.

Coming from one of the biggest MDA apologists I am not surprised to hear you voice your opinion on that side. The fact is that the choice to hire MDA over Phil was a huge mistake and anyone who agreed with it currently has egg all over their face. Even if they are too stubborn or stupid to believe it.

That's your stock in trade, aggressive orthogonal accusations to deflect from the facts. We disagree on how good a coach mda is, and that's fine. But the facts don't change, and they are that Jim was willing to bring Phil back (and I supported that btw), and Jerry was having none of it.

Do you prefer the too stupid or too stubborn label because we both know this is a complete fabrication.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
akk7 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Gomur wrote:
Little background: I became a Lakers fan back in '92. Watching Vlade, Elden Campbell, Cedric Ceballos, Eddie Jones, and Nick Van Exel. So I've seen my share of ups and downs as a Lakers fan.

Hearing the boos sent Jim Buss's way made me embarrassed for the Lakers fan base. Clearly too many of us digest and regurgitate all we hear on talk radio and "expert" analysts and Monday morning quarterbacks.

I trust my eyes and ears.

What Jim and company did to assemble Dwight and Nash felt so right, a grand slam swing that everyone applauded to win titles now. That injuries occurred and chemistry didn't work shouldn't stain a bold attempt. The recovery period afterwards was worth the risk. Complicated further by Kobe's retirement. And recover we have.

We are in a great position financially and with young talent that shows promise. You don't have to like Jim Buss, but you he didn't deserve the boos. Made me sick. Those same fans cheering the young players somehow think Jim had nothing to do with that? So many words I'd use to describe them.

A grand slam swing when he chose to go with Mike freaking D'Antoni over Phil Jackson? Anyone who really believes MDA was the better choice does not have a rational bone in his body. We need to get Jim Buss out of the FO before he screws up this chance we have been given

Didn't Phil Jackson even came out and said that was the old man's call?
He said, "kind of" and said it from his deathbed. It was also said that Jim recommended MDA over Phil Jackson. When a guy is on his deathbed and has named his son as successor, he is not going to go against his sons decision.

Again we see a case of the pro Jim Buss entourage wanting to give Jim all the credit for the good, yet none of the credit for the bad. Ridiculous.

In this situation it always comes down to who you want to believe. Many people, including people within LG who have connections with the Laker brass (Luca Brasi) have said it was Dr. Buss' call, while others have said he was way too sick to even make that decision.

However straight from Jeanie, she said the person who suggested Phil was her brother. Supposedly her brother asked her if Phil would be interested in coming back. I find this to be the oddest part of the saga. Why would a guy who didn't want Phil even suggest for his return?

Strong delusion.

Have a good night

Jim said it was Jerry's call.

Phil said it was Jerry's call.

Jeanie never said it wasn't Jerry's call, and wrote in her book that MDA was who Jerry wanted.

She also wrote in her book that bringing back Phil was Jim's idea in the first place.

But that guy is one who is delusional??

Alright, if you want to say it was Jerry's call I can't disagree with you. But I also know how much fathers who are in charge want to allow their sons who are next in line to make calls.

Do you honestly believe, in your most rational mind that Jim Buss preferred Phil Jackson to MDA, or do you believe he preferred MDA to Phil Jackson?
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
He's actually right.

Coming from one of the biggest MDA apologists I am not surprised to hear you voice your opinion on that side. The fact is that the choice to hire MDA over Phil was a huge mistake and anyone who agreed with it currently has egg all over their face. Even if they are too stubborn or stupid to believe it.

That's your stock in trade, aggressive orthogonal accusations to deflect from the facts. We disagree on how good a coach mda is, and that's fine. But the facts don't change, and they are that Jim was willing to bring Phil back (and I supported that btw), and Jerry was having none of it.

Do you prefer the too stupid or too stubborn label because we both know this is a complete fabrication.

I personally wouldn't go as far to say that Jerry was having none of it because I simply don't know.

But your statement of too stubborn or too stupid is too ironic because you're being the stubborn one. You have yet to even acknowledge the information about Jeanie herself saying her brother was the first person to bring up and ask about Phil wanting the job. What's your take on that? If what Jeanie said is true, why would the person bringing up Phil not want him as the coach? Was it some power play to mess with Phil? Possibly.

Just know what I'm saying is 100% truth in regards to Jeanir. She said it herself even if you don't want to believe it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
He's actually right.

I prefer knowing to believing, but you do you man.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
He's actually right.

I personally wouldn't go as far to say that Jerry was having none of it because I simply don't know.

But your statement of too stubborn or too stupid is too ironic because you're being the stubborn one. You have yet to even acknowledge the information about Jeanie herself saying her brother was the first person to bring up and ask about Phil wanting the job. What's your take on that? If what Jeanie said is true, why would the person bringing up Phil not want him as the coach? Was it some power play to mess with Phil? Possibly.

Just know what I'm saying is 100% truth in regards to Jeanir. She said it herself even if you don't want to believe it.

Umm, other than 20,000 fans chanting "we want Phil" night after night? Not much. Even if he was the first one to ask about Phil, it doesn't change much. It makes sense that he would be the one to ask Jeannie if Phil was serious if he had the most influential opinion. But after that asking of Jeannie if Phil was really interested, after the interview with Phil where he asked for a few days to think about, and when the Lakers chose to hire MDA while Phil had his agent on a red eye flight to Los angeles, do you really believe Jim preferred Phil to MDA at that point in time? He did not. He asked about Phil because he was doing his due diligence, but in the end her preferred MDA.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
akk7 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Gomur wrote:
Little background: I became a Lakers fan back in '92. Watching Vlade, Elden Campbell, Cedric Ceballos, Eddie Jones, and Nick Van Exel. So I've seen my share of ups and downs as a Lakers fan.

Hearing the boos sent Jim Buss's way made me embarrassed for the Lakers fan base. Clearly too many of us digest and regurgitate all we hear on talk radio and "expert" analysts and Monday morning quarterbacks.

What Jim and company did to assemble Dwight and Nash felt so right, a grand slam swing that everyone applauded to win titles now. That injuries occurred and chemistry didn't work shouldn't stain a bold attempt. The recovery period afterwards was worth the risk. Complicated further by Kobe's retirement. And recover we have.

We are in a great position financially and with young talent that shows promise. You don't have to like Jim Buss, but you he didn't deserve the boos. Made me sick. Those same fans cheering the young players somehow think Jim had nothing to do with that? So many words I'd use to describe them.

A grand slam swing when he chose to go with Mike freaking D'Antoni over Phil Jackson? Anyone who really believes MDA was the better choice does not have a rational bone in his body. We need to get Jim Buss out of the FO before he screws up this chance we have been given

He said, "kind of" and said it from his deathbed. It was also said that Jim recommended MDA over Phil Jackson. When a guy is on his deathbed and has named his son as successor, he is not going to go against his sons decision.

Again we see a case of the pro Jim Buss entourage wanting to give Jim all the credit for the good, yet none of the credit for the bad. Ridiculous.

In this situation it always comes down to who you want to believe. Many people, including people within LG who have connections with the Laker brass (Luca Brasi) have said it was Dr. Buss' call, while others have said he was way too sick to even make that decision.

However straight from Jeanie, she said the person who suggested Phil was her brother. Supposedly her brother asked her if Phil would be interested in coming back. I find this to be the oddest part of the saga. Why would a guy who didn't want Phil even suggest for his return?

Strong delusion.

Have a good night

Jeanie never said it wasn't Jerry's call, and wrote in her book that MDA was who Jerry wanted.

She also wrote in her book that bringing back Phil was Jim's idea in the first place.

Are you sure Jeanie never said it wasn't Jerry's call? I never read her book so I don't know, but from her media runs I feel like she has said it wasn't her dad's call, he was too sick, and even if it was her dad's call she never got any indication of that. I could be misremembering.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
He's actually right.

Right...And what exactly do you know? What a joke. You don't know a damn thing.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The same people who were cheering what he built were booing him. Bunch of dumbasses.

Don't usually agree with you much but yeah, this.

We have an awesome young core going into this season that will kick ass and take names, and wreck havoc to the league a year or two and they (bleep) on him for it?

Morons. TMZ/BSPN sheeple.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
He's actually right.

Well, I know what the people closest to it say, and I know what your one note shtick is.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
akk7 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Gomur wrote:

Strong delusion.

Have a good night

Are you sure Jeanie never said it wasn't Jerry's call? I never read her book so I don't know, but from her media runs I feel like she has said it wasn't her dad's call, he was too sick, and even if it was her dad's call she never got any indication of that. I could be misremembering.

She initially disputed it, but backtracked later.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
He's actually right.

Well, I know what the people closest to it say, and I know what your one note shtick is.

Like who? You got a source saying Jim preferred Phil? Your response looks like a non answer. Strong evasion. Strong response. I can't believe you really think Phil was Jim's preference over MDA. You know better, you just don't want to admit it. It would go against your agenda.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject:

*gets popcorn*
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
He's actually right.

I appreciate your restraint here Omar, surprised he hasn't been suspended yet.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject:

She never outright denied that it was Jerry's call. She made some insinuations that were kind of weak and also hedged by saying he was sick so even if he did want it that they shouldn't have listened to him.

I do need to correct something though. She never admitted that Jerry wanted MDA. I read that part wrong.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject:

Who gives a (bleep)? That's long past, even if hiring MDA was the worst decision in the history of the world, it was 4 years ago. It's time to move on. The FO has done well starting at ground zero in the summer of 2013 (in before "decreasing wins each season").

Maybe Buss improved as a decision maker? Maybe he's delegating more? Whatever the problem is, I have a hard time understanding why people complain about the MDA hire in 2012 when they finally made a good coaching hire in 2016. Bad coaching is in the past, folks. Get with the times.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject:

I think we can all agree: jeannie needs to shut up
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject:

Wasn't there also previously a side plot of Jim Buss getting rid of Phil Jackson's people in the organization after he left, which included Brian Shaw. Didn't seem like that grudge lasted very long.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
He's actually right.

Like who? You got a source saying Jim preferred Phil? Your response looks like a non answer. Strong evasion. Strong response. I can't believe you really think Phil was Jim's preference over MDA. You know better, you just don't want to admit it. It would go against your agenda.

Multiple sources. Like Jim, Jeanie, and Phil. You keep talking about my agenda. I thought and agreed with the idea it was going to be Phil. I also respected why Jerry said no. You're letting your dislike of mda and Jim create the agenda that something other than what all the players in the deal admit is true happened.

Like I said, we disagree on mda and Jim, and that's cool. But you disagree with everyone who actually knows what happened, including Jeanie herself, who admits going to Phil was Jim's idea, and after disputing that her dad made the call initially, even she has backed off to the position that hE was too sick to make the call. Everyone else connected to it says it was Jerry's call, and explains why (he didn't want Phil in the organization)
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject:

The Buss kids need to shut up and get it together. But Mitch and Jim etc, scouting department seem to be right on.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject:

It's certainly an interesting dynamic for the crowd to enthusiastically cheer for how awesome the kids are playing and then boo the guy that drafted them.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
With Jim Buss on a 1 year deadline he has every incentive to trade away all we have built over the last few years in a desperate attempt to save his job.

Jim and Mitch don't seem to feel there is a deadline, it's Jeanie who took a statement and went public with it to apply the pressure. Nothing they have done this summer would indicate they are a team desperate to trade away their young assets to try to meet a deadline. So long as they make progress, it's hard to imagine the rest of his family voting him off the island.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject:

I thought it was cheesy with that dick head tom Penn next to him laughing at him. Penn seems to have some vendetta against the Lakers organization.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject:

The Lakers FO has a plan and it's working.
We have a very good young coach. We have a fantastic core of young talent.

Let the man work.
FlyingSpur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Jim Buss basked in it. But seriously, I love watching these young guys, and the seasons would be enjoyable to watch even if we aren't making the playoffs and we get to see the young guys develop. With Jim Buss on a 1 year deadline he has every incentive to trade away all we have built over the last few years in a desperate attempt to save his job.

He needs to be fired NOW before he does something stupid.

I think even he's learned from the Howard / Nash deals that you cant cheat the rebuild process.

It has to happen sooner or later (OKC / GSW style)

He's sticking to the young guns and is going to let them go through the growing pains.

to be fair it wasn't his fault. the league changed the CBA with plenty of rules to acquire assets like before. and that caught the lakers at the wrong time with fat payrolls.

nobody knew at that time what the new CBA will look like to adjust ahead of time.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 3 of 19
Jump to: