The boos for Jim Buss
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject:

And Jim Buss has been successful though not perfect. They rebuilt a team in a couple of years, that isn't common in today's game. Jerry Buss went almost a decade without winning a title, but that is seldom remembered. Time erases most bad memories. And erasing the fact that guys like Nixon and Cooper were Lakers before Dr. Buss was.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

If Jim Buss builds a championship contender I will be in his boat and a supporter. He has gotten off to a really rough start though I will admit deciding to rebuild would have been a very difficult decision.

The Lakers never sunk to the depths of futility under Dr Buss that they have under Jerry and I think he has been incredibly lucky with the ping pong balls.

He is in charge now and it does look like we may have a chance a rebuilding into a contending team. If we complete the rebuild and become contenders again I will give him credit. I still think he made a bunch of bad decisions and has been slow to recognize the changes in the game. But if we start winning he should get the credit.

I want nothing more than to be able to cheer for Jim Buss and I hope he and the Lakers do great and I am very optimistic about the future. People do get better at their jobs so maybe he has improved.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Interesting how many "old" Laker fans remember the past with such a jaded memory. They act like everything was perfect under Dr. Buss when in reality it wasn't, things were up and down, as they have been in the past decade.

Perfect no but very successful. You had the Magic and Kareem Era with stars like Wilkes, Nixon, Worthy, Scott and Cooper and then you had the Shaq and Kobe and then Shaq and Gasol. Those were all under Dr. Buss and they were great times. He also got some great coaches in Riley and Jackson. During the time he was alive and owning the Lakers they were the most successful franchise in all of sports.

Were things perfect no but they were darn good. I wish the Dodgers and Rams could have the same level of success.

Yeah Dr. Buss and West sure did a great job making sure their franchise player didn't tear his Achilles. IDK what Jim and Mitch were thinking.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Interesting how many "old" Laker fans remember the past with such a jaded memory. They act like everything was perfect under Dr. Buss when in reality it wasn't, things were up and down, as they have been in the past decade.

Perfect no but very successful. You had the Magic and Kareem Era with stars like Wilkes, Nixon, Worthy, Scott and Cooper and then you had the Shaq and Kobe and then Shaq and Gasol. Those were all under Dr. Buss and they were great times. He also got some great coaches in Riley and Jackson. During the time he was alive and owning the Lakers they were the most successful franchise in all of sports.

Were things perfect no but they were darn good. I wish the Dodgers and Rams could have the same level of success.

Yeah Dr. Buss and West sure did a great job making sure their franchise player didn't tear his Achilles. IDK what Jim and Mitch were thinking.

Magic Johnson's HIV was more of a devastating blow the franchise than Kobe's achilles tear yet Dr Buss only missed the playoffs once as the owner of the Lakers.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
tox wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Magic Johnson's HIV was more of a devastating blow the franchise than Kobe's achilles tear yet Dr Buss only missed the playoffs once as the owner of the Lakers.

It was twice, but who is counting. Oh yeah, you are. And the personnel rules now are nothing like what they were in 1990. We couldn't make the moves now that we did in the 90's. You have to rebuild from a different angle.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
And Jim Buss has been successful though not perfect. They rebuilt a team in a couple of years, that isn't common in today's game. Jerry Buss went almost a decade without winning a title, but that is seldom remembered. Time erases most bad memories. And erasing the fact that guys like Nixon and Cooper were Lakers before Dr. Buss was.

Yeah, but the Lakers under Dr. Buss did not miss the playoffs three years in a row either. He set a high standard for this team, and Jim has his work cut out for him.
Boldarblood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:

Coaching Choices: Bring back Phil would have been a smart thing to do but they made bad coaching decisions and implemented a system that almost certainly drove Howard out of town. Phil was proven and could have been an asset in bring in Free Agents. This seems like a Jim Buss type of decision and it really hurt the team.

Putting together a team based on Nash, Howard and Kobe for a last hurrah versus not rebuilding the team.

This was on Dr Jerry Buss, he did not want to bring Phil back.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/phil-jackson-details-talks-lakers-unraveled-autobiography-update-article-1.1869987

Several weeks later, the story came out that Dr. Buss, not Jimmy, had made the decision to go with D’Antoni

There are a ton of article based on this. Blaming Jim for this is incorrect by Lakers fans.
Boldarblood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah, but the Lakers under Dr. Buss did not miss the playoffs three years in a row either. He set a high standard for this team, and Jim has his work cut out for him.

compltetly different eras of basketball. Just like you can not compare players of different eras, you can not compare ownership. When Dr Buss and West were running the team just had to outbid everyone. This doesnt work anymore. it is absolutely fantasy land to think that Dr Buss would have the same success today, that is fans being delusional about modern day NBA.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Boldarblood wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

compltetly different eras of basketball. Just like you can not compare players of different eras, you can not compare ownership. When Dr Buss and West were running the team just had to outbid everyone. This doesnt work anymore. it is absolutely fantasy land to think that Dr Buss would have the same success today, that is fans being delusional about modern day NBA.

Who exactly did they outbid to get who the year after they missed the playoffs?
rak617
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Jim Buss did not achieve any significant thing yet. So if we are comparing his total tenure to only Dr. Buss' failure seasons, then now is the time Jim Buss matches Dr. Buss' successful seasons. We can't just say Dr. Buss has also had bad seasons, so it's OK for Jim Buss to fail.

We failed to go to playoffs last few seasons and with this rookie team, there is a good possibility we will miss playoffs next couple of seasons also (Hope I am wrong). So Jim Buss awful resume has not ended yet. Hope he does not do anything stupid before we are ready to have a breakout season.

I am happy about this upcoming season but this not any credit to Jim Buss. We had bad years and NBA rewarded us with lottery picks

I give credit to Jim for Luke's hire though.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
tox wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I didn't realize Magic was taking 40% of the cap while being a net negative player (when he did play).

Pardon my ignorance.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah because of liberal FA rules then, you only had to out spend to sign players. He sure wouldn't be doing that today.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah because of liberal FA rules then, you only had to out spend to sign players. He sure wouldn't be doing that today.

Considering the Lakers had cap space the last few years, they could have done that. Only problem was the FAs did not want to come to the team or they were signed by other teams.

But what's done is done. All I am saying is that Jim needs to prove himself from this point forward.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Agree, though he also had a hand in our last repeat championship, so there is some things to be positive about. Including the trade they worked out for CP3 that the league killed, and even though I was no Dwight Howard fan, bringing in him and Nash to get Kobe and Dr. Buss one more ring was a good plan.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Agree, though he also had a hand in our last repeat championship, so there is some things to be positive about. Including the trade they worked out for CP3 that the league killed, and even though I was no Dwight Howard fan, bringing in him and Nash to get Kobe and Dr. Buss one more ring was a good plan.

I understand why they did it but in hindsight it was terrible. I really hated the Nash trade when it happened. The Howard trade would have been okay if he had stayed. My bigger fault with the Howard situation is going to a coaching change that effectively drove Howard away. We should have been courting him all season. If we had kept Howard and Gasol and not made the Nash trade we could have been a playoff team and would not have mortgaged the future.

Jim Buss has gotten lucky but so did Jerry Buss. The Ford deal and the Goodrich compensation sure worked out well and really created the first era of success. Lets hope the current group can develop into a 6-8 year consistent contender.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

is this an april fools comment? are we supposed to laugh at the comment jim buss has been successful? thanks for the laugh!
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

is this an april fools comment? are we supposed to laugh at the comment jim buss has been successful? thanks for the laugh!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You had to post that gem twice?
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He's being dead serious. Same with Steve Nash. He said Nash was a good pickup because he was tutoring the young players and he still was playing in most of the games after we got him. So that was checked off as a good move on Jim's part. Even after the fact when he got hurt or didn't fit in the offense, or didn't play well.

He even predicted "at least" a WCF visit after we got D12, then did his whole "I told you so" act after we bombed that season.

Take whatever he says with a grain of salt. Maybe even less than that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19
Jump to: