LAKERS -VS- PELICANS – 7-9-16 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -VS- PELICANS – 7-9-16 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Summer League!… Long day. I left work around noon. My son and I picked up my wife and daughter right after they finished a play and we hit the road for Vegas. Traffic started off horrible and I didn’t think I’d be making it on schedule. But I made up some serious time with some high-speed driving. Got to Vegas, dropped off the family at the in-laws and then drove over to catch the game.

I got in my seat just a few minutes before the game and had to relax and shift into hoop mode. No detailed notes here, just the thoughts I could put together when I got back to the house after the game.

I’ve seen a lot of summer league games over the years. The first game is always a mess. Of all the years through triangle action and through Byron’s cluster(bleep) offense last summer, this was one of the more fluidly put together games by a team I can remember. They had all kinds of issues, of course, but comparing to other first games of the summer league…it was much smoother than I expected. Credit to Luke and his coaches. Also credit to the Lakers players (and D’Angelo who was floor generaling). They dominated from the start on their way to the 85-65 win.

Some comments…

Russell -- -- He was clearly the leader out there. He was vocal on and off the floor. On the sidelines he was pumping up teammates as they break from the huddle. On the floor, he was trying to organize the offense. They kept things fairly simple, but the summer league is going to be a huge advantage to the guys playing on it. Clarkson/Randle are going to have some catching up to do. They ran some motion weak, which those guys are used to, but they had some different variations of other sets. To start the game, Russell struggled a bit forcing it into space that wasn’t there as they were a bit confused. Last year, we did this all game long for several games. It was awful. Horribly coached. This year, so much better. After those early hiccups, Russell went into the post in the second quarter. He looked for and drew fouls. Then, had defenders worried about that and schooled them with some counters. He got to the rim on some drives and had 15 points by halftime to lead the team. In the second half, he didn’t call his number in the post as he wanted to run some different action. He picked up a few assists, had a steal and breakaway dunk and also hit the boards well. Like any first game of the summer league, there was a lot of thinking out there and timing issues. I can see him dialing back the scoring some to try to get the offense clicking more as that seems to be his priority…trying to lead and be and extension of the coaches. He was on a triple-double pace. He scored 20 points on 7-12 shooting (1-1 from three, 5-5 from the line) to go with 11 boards (3 offensive), 6 assists, 3 steals, 5 turnovers and 3 fouls in 29 minutes. He was a +23.

Ingram -- -- The buzz from the crowd was pretty evident whenever Ingram got the ball. He showed his perimeter abilities with the jumper, but also a couple of great drives and finishes at the rim that had the crowd roaring. It seemed like he was feeling things out a bit. He didn’t force the issue, just played his game. The Lakers played him at both the SG and SF spots. His frame will likely have the coaches doing that this year. Either position, he has a huge advantage with that length. He had a nice bounce back up after a miss on a drive to tip in the follow. On another baseline attack, he got hammered and sent to the floor. Defensively, his length is extremely disruptive. He tracked down and rejected one drive into the stands, but he also had several other very good challenges. I mentioned it before, but this is a very underrated part of his game. He surprises guys with his closeouts. The Lakers length with Zubac, Nance and Ingram caused all kinds of issues for the Pelicans. Throw Ingram for some small stretches at the SG this season and the lineups could have some crazy length on it. I think his lone assist in this game was a nice drive to the rim where he kicked out to Russell for a three when the D converged, if I recall. Some nice chemistry there in the making. He struggled with his freethrow shooting last year in college. I suspect that will be an issue for him this year, as well. He scored 12 points on 5-9 shooting (0-2 from three, 2-4 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 2 blocks in 25 minutes. He was a +15.

Zubac -- -- He kind of stole the show. I thought he looked a little nervous at tipoff but after a quick offensive board and feed to Nance for a near And-1, that ended after a few seconds. I’ve mentioned it a few times on the board, but I’ll repeat it again. He has massive tree trunks for legs, just huge. He was much bigger than anyone else out there. Offensively, that meant he could manhandle guys in the post. He was backing them down with ease. You don’t typically see a rookie big with such a strong base and he used it well. He had a nice And-1 jumphook absorbing the foul without issue. He showed a soft touch on his jumper and was money on his freethrows. He looked extremely comfortable shooting from the line. He’s got a few weapons on that end of the floor. What I really appreciated…he can set screens. He’d be one of our best screen setters if he was on the floor last year. He takes up space with his size and is willing screen setter. Huge for this offense. He had one moving screen call on the perimeter, but was very sound throughout the game. We’ve got some work to do, of course, still on building the chemistry on the two-man game but it will come. Defensively, if he hadn’t won the crowd over with his first touch or two, he would have for certain with the shot blocks. Not sure how he only had 3. Felt like a lot more. He showed excellent timing on the help D. On one sequence, he had multiple blocks. Just a huge presence in the paint. On glass, sound fundamentally…he was always looking to box out when the ball was up. I think he had one play where he gave a putback tip in and was disappointed with himself, but it was his only lapse in that regard throughout the game. He was always seeking out a big and putting a body on him. I could see him working very well with Randle in this regard as Zubac walls off teammates and Randle is quick to the ball. If there is one concern (and I think it’s a big one), it will be Zubac’s footspeed on D. The Pelicans didn’t really expose it (maybe once, but they never went after it like you could). But at the next level when they get him on that island as Stu would say, he’s going to have some issues. He did a very good job plugging the paint and measuring the distance with some of those perimeter help situations, so there really weren’t any issues this game, but this will an area to work on. Oh, and the Lakers got a steal in the second round. It was mentioned on draft night that Zubac fell, maybe because teams with multiple picks wanted to draft and stash…but whatever the reason, the Lakers pounced and got a player. His impact was bigger than these stats. He scored 11 points on 3-4 shooting (5-5 from the line) to go with 5 boards (3 offensive), 1 assist, 3 blocks, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 28 minutes. He was a +19.

Nance -- -- The biggest difference for me watching Nance was his confidence. He wasn’t second guessing anything. He had that vet feel and confidence to him out there. What that does is help him impose his will and strengths on the game. He showed the three ball, draining one of those as well as a 15-footer off the two-man game. So that’s going to be a noticeable difference and weapon this season that will fit the offense well. As we saw in the practice videos, Luke is having both Randle and Nance push up the boards. Nance did that this game when he had the opportunities. Defensively, his hops and length were disruptive. He volleyball spiked a shot out of bounds on help D with some swagger. We played him at PF across Zubac, but also as the C when Zubac sat. When the two were on the floor, we saw some passing sequences between the two that weren’t always clean, but will improve as they build chemistry. They were running some horns sequences that the Warriors do. If this all comes together like it should this year, he’s going to have a great season. He had 11 points on 4-8 shooting (1-2 from three, 2-4 from the line) to go with 9 boards, 1 steal, 2 blocks and 2 turnovers in 32 minutes. He was a +22.

Quickly on these others:
A. Brown -- -- Good game defensively. The whole group of starters are all willing defenders. There was no slacking off, guys always rotated and looked to cover for each other. Nice effort on that end. I was waiting for Hield to light things up but he couldn’t get off nor shake some of our D for stretches, going 1-8 from three and 5-20 for the night for his 13 points (he'll be better). Brown had 7 points, but still struggled to show that dead eye three shooting, going 1-5.

J. Brown -- -- Good job not forcing the issue. I think he’ll do better if we ever get that Warrior’s like ball movement going where it gets back to Jabari for open looks from three. He’ll kill on that. He made 2-3 he took tonight.

Auguste -- -- Good job running the floor tonight. He also had a couple sequences where he was non-stop hustle. He led the bench with 9 points and ran at the PF. Our two-man game wasn’t quite clicking tonight with everyone, but I think once we get a little more time together, we should see a little more from him here with the guards.

Misc. -- -- Jim Buss was boo’d when put on the big screen. When he finally noticed he raised his hands in a “yeah, yeah, sheesh” kind of gesture. Later, when the crowd was going “Luuuuuuuuuke” when he was on the big screen I saw Buss remark on that. I think he thought they were booing him again at first…. Great crowd tonight. They were amped up from the first few seconds. Loud cheers every time Zubac was checking in…. Laker staff had the young guys complete attention throughout the game and in huddles. You can tell they’ve bought in to everything and are extremely coachable. They are definitely installing the Warriors offense. Everything was stuff the Warriors have run, even if it wasn’t run well… They had set plays for both Nance and Zubac out of timeouts…

Programming note: I probably won't be able to comment after the next game. At least not until Sunday...

Last edited by DancingBarry on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Whoo hoo, DB's T&R's back!
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Basketball season is definitely BACK!
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Len
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Promising start
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -VS- PELICANS – 7-9-16 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
Programming note: I probably won't be able to comment after the next game. At least not until Sunday...

ARRRRGGGGHHHH
It really stings not being there
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -VS- PELICANS – 7-9-16 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:

What a slacker. Somebody ship his ass out!
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the write up DB!

Love how Zubac has the most characters here.
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Even though its just a Summer game, I was pretty excited about logging in and reading your post.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. a nice night cap after a super feel good game. ahhh, soak it in.

I thought Russell looked better physically. Of course with his strength in the post, but then showing the ability to elevate and finish. kid is evolving.

Ingram showed and spoke of the benefits of having more spacing on the NBA floor. some suuuuuper promising iso/moves off the dribble. That was a main area I wanted to see what he was working with in SL ---- that and defense!
Length on the court is suchh a bolstering advantage. Buddy Hield mentioned our length and athleticism in his post game interview -- feels good to hear!!

Nance had as promising of flashes as i could hope he's growing a skillset that we can all love. first play he pushes the ball up the court , then he's draining a 3. Luke is unleashing him. The blocks were sick. Can't wait to see what he develops into.

Zubac was probably the biggest surprise. Kid looks good getting up and down the court, not plodding there at all. a bit below average feet in the halfcourt, but that can be worked on for sure imo. Who knew he would get his Robert Upshaw on blocking shots. And his touch below the FT is GREAT. Also great touch at the charity stripe. He even made a jumper just after a whistle.
He could be the starting Center that Luke wants in a couple years, could be. That's a steal.

Lastly, I've watched 3 Ingram post-game interviews, and he's giving a lot of praise to DLo in each one. Saying how he made the game easier for him on the court.
Gomur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject:

Can't wait to see Jordan Clarkson and Julius Randle play with these guys. How these young players gel together will make for a very entertaining and interesting season.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject:

Wow just when I think it couldn't get any better we get the return of DB's T&Rs!!

Thanks DB!
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject:

Awesome! I missed these.

Haven't had this much fun watching a Laker game since... ok well Kobe's farewell game.

But it was sure a ton of fun! I had a goofy grin on my face for its entirety
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject:

NICE! I wasn't sure if you'd do one. Love it!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Thanks DB. a nice night cap after a super feel good game. ahhh, soak it in.

I thought Russell looked better physically. Of course with his strength in the post, but then showing the ability to elevate and finish. kid is evolving.

Ingram showed and spoke of the benefits of having more spacing on the NBA floor. some suuuuuper promising iso/moves off the dribble. That was a main area I wanted to see what he was working with in SL ---- that and defense!
Length on the court is suchh a bolstering advantage. Buddy Hield mentioned our length and athleticism in his post game interview -- feels good to hear!!

Nance had as promising of flashes as i could hope he's growing a skillset that we can all love. first play he pushes the ball up the court , then he's draining a 3. Luke is unleashing him. The blocks were sick. Can't wait to see what he develops into.

Zubac was probably the biggest surprise. Kid looks good getting up and down the court, not plodding there at all. a bit below average feet in the halfcourt, but that can be worked on for sure imo. Who knew he would get his Robert Upshaw on blocking shots. And his touch below the FT is GREAT. Also great touch at the charity stripe. He even made a jumper just after a whistle.
He could be the starting Center that Luke wants in a couple years, could be. That's a steal.

Lastly, I've watched 3 Ingram post-game interviews, and he's giving a lot of praise to DLo in each one. Saying how he made the game easier for him on the court.

Interesting observation - looks to me like we just got our Robert Upshaw, and then some. Seriously - what I saw from Zubac tonight was everything I could have hoped for had Upshaw stayed clean, and more. From an even bigger guy than Upshaw.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
NICE! I wasn't sure if you'd do one. Love it!
Totally AGREE

Giving Zuboc tapes of Marc Gasol defending the perimeter might be helpful and useful comparison

Teaching Luke's defensive principals has already shown fruits
lakerhaterhater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject:

1st hand, grade account from the Gaffer, nice.
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject:

Great game, loved it. It was nice to see a good defense for a change. That was what I loved the most about the game and Zubac's impact of course.
Arbitrary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject:

LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -VS- PELICANS – 7-9-16 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:

Zubac -- -- He kind of stole the show. I thought he looked a little nervous at tipoff but after a quick offensive board and feed to Nance for a near And-1, that ended after a few seconds. I’ve mentioned it a few times on the board, but I’ll repeat it again. He has massive tree trunks for legs, just huge. He was much bigger than anyone else out there. Offensively, that meant he could manhandle guys in the post. He was backing them down with ease. You don’t typically see a rookie big with such a strong base and he used it well. He had a nice And-1 jumphook absorbing the foul without issue. He showed a soft touch on his jumper and was money on his freethrows. He looked extremely comfortable shooting from the line. He’s got a few weapons on that end of the floor. What I really appreciated…he can set screens. He’d be one of our best screen setters if he was on the floor last year. He takes up space with his size and is willing screen setter. Huge for this offense. He had one moving screen call on the perimeter, but was very sound throughout the game. We’ve got some work to do, of course, still on building the chemistry on the two-man game but it will come. Defensively, if he hadn’t won the crowd over with his first touch or two, he would have for certain with the shot blocks. Not sure how he only had 3. Felt like a lot more. He showed excellent timing on the help D. On one sequence, he had multiple blocks. Just a huge presence in the paint. On glass, sound fundamentally…he was always looking to box out when the ball was up. I think he had one play where he gave a putback tip in and was disappointed with himself, but it was his only lapse in that regard throughout the game. He was always seeking out a big and putting a body on him. I could see him working very well with Randle in this regard as Zubac walls off teammates and Randle is quick to the ball. If there is one concern (and I think it’s a big one), it will be Zubac’s footspeed on D. The Pelicans didn’t really expose it (maybe once, but they never went after it like you could). But at the next level when they get him on that island as Stu would say, he’s going to have some issues. He did a very good job plugging the paint and measuring the distance with some of those perimeter help situations, so there really weren’t any issues this game, but this will an area to work on. Oh, and the Lakers got a steal in the second round. It was mentioned on draft night that Zubac fell, maybe because teams with multiple picks wanted to draft and stash…but whatever the reason, the Lakers pounced and got a player. His impact was bigger than these stats. He scored 11 points on 3-4 shooting (5-5 from the line) to go with 5 boards (3 offensive), 1 assist, 3 blocks, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 28 minutes. He was a +19.

I watched five games of the Croatia 2015 U19 games, and got the same concern. His D outside the paint is an issue. An old school center who needs to adjust to the modern game. Not a coincidence his worst two games were against team USA.

Zubac needs to expand offensive range too but somehow I feel comfortable he will develop it. Defensive range is a more pressing concern. Otherwise, "centers" like Tristan Thompson will be able to neutralize his size advantage.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject:

Glad it's DB review time again!
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! All good stuff. Nance is going to FORCE Luke to start him. He is going to be a beast.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject:

Woo hoo! A Laker team that's fun to watch, a Laker win and a DB in-person Thoughts & Ratings!!!!
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! I really appreciate your write-ups and enjoy reading them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: