"I own Phil Jackson" - Mark Cuban
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAKERLVR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: "I own Phil Jackson" - Mark Cuban

The Cuban "Geek" Blog
http://blogmaverick.com/

Not literally of course. That thrill belongs to the smartest businesswoman in professional sports, Jeannie Buss. Figuratively however, the coach formerly known as the Zen Master must now be considered my bucket boy.

This wasnt an acquisition I proactively pursued. There wasnt an official competition that I won, thereby confirming my dominance of his psyche. Instead Phil has initiated an ongoing commentary about me that started in his previous stint with the Lakers and was reinstated this year with his return, that proves that I own the guy.

For whatever reason, I have gotten to Phil so completely and thoroughly that every time he comes to Dallas he has to offer unsolicited comments about me to the media. I wonder if he dreams about me the nights he spends here in Dallas. Ok, I dont wonder. Im curious about it.

How can the NBA coach with so many championship rings find me so intimidating ? I really dont know, but he said as much in December when he called me an “intimidating force” to the LA Times

”consider a place like Dallas, where the owner runs around, pumps up the volume, intimidates the referees and … has announcers as hired cheerleaders, which is an intimidating force.”

Then of course last night he again took the initiative to comment to the media about how I am such a presence in the NBA, that i turn the officials into “nervous nellies”. Implying that I can have more influence on the outcome of a game than his coaching skills. I wish. But if Phil wants to think so. Im fine with that. Thats what happens when you own someone, they cant get you out of their head, and they dont often think , speak or act rationally.

I guess Phil was so overwhelmed that it caused him to take back to back delay of game penalties and the technical foul that comes with it, rather than send his team out to the court at the conclusion of a timeout in the 4th quarter.

Of course the officials werent intimidated. At least no more than the other officials who have given Kobe technical fouls to the tune of a league leading 11. Maybe, instead of being so concerned with Mark Cuban, Phil should be worried about the new rule in place that causes a player to be suspended a game after he gets his 16th technical foul of the season. And if I remember correctly, every technical after 16 results in a 1 game suspension as well. Cant wait to hear what he has to say when that happens….

Of course I dont truly believe that I own Phil. But that wont prevent me from walking up to him and saying “Boo” to see if he jumps, just to find out for sure
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Cuban needs to talk when he gets his first ring.

At that point, he'll only be 8 behind Phil.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Wow - that's one helluva gloat for a guy whose team has 1 victory vs 3 losses.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Cuban, you can try to own Phil, but your Mavs haven't even touched a ring yet... oh wait, your Mavs? I meant Kobe's Mavs.

Quote:
Of course the officials werent intimidated. At least no more than the other officials who have given Kobe technical fouls to the tune of a league leading 11. Maybe, instead of being so concerned with Mark Cuban, Phil should be worried about the new rule in place that causes a player to be suspended a game after he gets his 16th technical foul of the season. And if I remember correctly, every technical after 16 results in a 1 game suspension as well. Cant wait to hear what he has to say when that happens….

Well that's a BS rule.

Last edited by tgf5 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject:

phil is not intimidated by you mark, he's just in awe of how utterly obnoxious you are.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Wow,.. I did not realize Kobe is leading the league in T's....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject:

I wish we had Mark as our owner he speaks his mind unlike some of our people in the Organization.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject:

kobe is also leading the league in calls that should have been made but weren't.

but the 16 tech rule is scary, I have to admit.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Cuban is great for the NBA. These kinds of remarks are just poking fun like Phil does at him. It's like "yo mamma" rounds in the playground. Harmless fun for the entertainment of the fans.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:

I have.

He's picked up a ton.

Kobe seems to let the refs get to him too. A lot guys knocked me when I said it wasn'y just Lamar who let the refs get to him, that I saw Kobe sit there and argue with the ref instead of playing D too.

It's just a waste of time. For both of them.

But I actually blame Phil more than Kobe on this. The one thing he was really good at in his previous tenure was arguing with refs.

This season - I have seen him do it very little. I loved what he did last game. It's about damn time he sent a message to refs.

In previous years, Phil would get kicked out of games atleast twice a year and then watch his team win games. It was great motivational ploy, I thought IMO.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:

kobe has a temper...he's also the only guy on the team who will argue other teammates clalls.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject:

it's funny. if mark cuban "owned" phil jackson maybe the mavs could make it to the nba finals sometime.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
I wish we had Mark as our owner he speaks his mind unlike some of our people in the Organization.

What a freakin ingrate. We only have the best owner in all of sports who has been so committed to winning, that he's given us mutliple dynasties in different eras to honor our city.

And this is the crap attitude he gets for it? Go be a Mavs fan.

___

[Why was my post deleted in certain spots? I didn't curse.]

Last edited by LakerJam on Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
LAKERLVR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:

Who cares? The guy is unprofessional and a joke. Not to mention he's produced 0 championships and 0 finals appearances, only a crap load of salary cap burning is what he does.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
DaggerInTheHeart wrote:

What a [DELETED]. We only have the best owner in all of sports who has been so committed to winning, that he's given us mutliple dynasties in different eras to honor our city.

And this is the crap attitude he gets for it? [DELETED]. Go be a Mavs fan.
What he said.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
[DELETED]. We only have the best owner in all of sports who has been so committed to winning, that he's given us mutliple dynasties in different eras to honor our city.

And this is the crap attitude he gets for it? [DELETED]. Go be a Mavs fan.

I never said anything about Buss, but i like how Mark speaks his mind we don't have that in our Organization only Phil has it.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject:

LAKERLVR wrote:
DaggerInTheHeart wrote:

Who cares? The guy is unprofessional and a joke. Not to mention he's produced 0 championships and 0 finals appearances, only a crap load of salary cap burning is what he does.

He also transformed Dallas from a joke to a team almost any player in the league would want to play for. He has invested in his city, and in making the players and staff feel valued. He led the charge in demanding accountability from ref's - something that has become trendy since.

He's a good owner and good for the NBA, I wish there were more like him, though I'm very happy with Buss over the years. Who cares what Cuban says, it's just fodder for the press and to entertain the fans. Cuban knows very much what he is doing when he posts to his blog, it's not just a random gloat. And besides, PJ has taken so many jabs at him, it's only fair for him to jab back.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:

Buss is the winningest owner in sports and you would rather have Cuban because he speaks his mind?

That might be the dumbest thing ever written on this board.
LAKERLVR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:

He also transformed Dallas from a joke to a team almost any player in the league would want to play for.

It doesn't take a flamboyant owner to do that. It takes money. I.e. one of the worst financially managed teams in the league and they are paying for mistakes the "Cuban administration" made. Case in point, the Kobe Bryant dollars Michael Finley is making.
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:

My favorite Mark Cuban moments were in the game where LA came back from 27 points in the 4th quarter against the Mavs. They showed Cuban near the end of the first half sticking his tounge out and pumping his fists as the Mavs made one three point play after the next. Then they interviewed him near the end of the third quarter and he talked about how excited he was about the Mavs finally beating the Lakers...

And then the look on his face when the Lakers came back! Oh man, he looked more worried than anyone I've ever seen. You wanna talk about a "Nervous Nellie". Wow. I may have to dig up a screen shot of that look later tonight. It was truly priceless

PS - I didn't know about the 16 T rule. Kobe better get his act together quick. We can't afford for him to be missing a lot of games due to that nonsense.

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
LAKERLVR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Walter Sobchak wrote:
My favorite Mark Cuban moments were in the game where LA came back from 27 points in the 4th quarter against the Mavs. They showed Cuban near the end of the first half sticking his tounge out and pumping his fists as the Mavs made one three point play after the next. Then they interviewed him near the end of the third quarter and he talked about how excited he was about the Mavs finally beating the Lakers...

And then the look on his face when the Lakers came back! Oh man, he looked more worried than anyone I've ever seen. You wanna talk about a "Nervous Nellie". Wow. I may have to dig up a screen shot of that look later tonight. It was truly priceless

PS - I didn't know about the 16 T rule. Kobe better get his act together quick. We can't afford for him to be missing a lot of games due to that nonsense.

I would like to see that too.
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:

MVP! MVP! MVP!

Seriously, though. Kobe'd better watch it.

On a related note, this guy's reply to Cuban was great:

Your freelance interpretation of “owning” someone makes me think he owns you. The Zen Master plays all kinds of games to get into the head of an opponent. He knew the Lakers had lost that game and his new objective was to put pressure and attention back onto the Mavs and officiating crew. Certainly a warranted strategy if you’re potentially looking at your future first round opponent. Assuming the Mavs don’t choke themselves right out of contention for the Western Conference’s 1st overall playoff seed. Again, will the Mavs and officiating crew be concentrating of the game next time around or the comments of one Phil Jackson?
bthanos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject:

I admire Mark Cuban. I think he is a fricken genious. Im a Laker fan, but I really like the way he attacked Phil's comments. Here is a guy who is a billionaire and pretty much succeeds in whatever he does. He has so many other things going on yet he takes the time to respond to Phil's obvious psycological tactics. Anyone who does not have respect for what this guy has accomplished is blind. The guy is a prodigy.
AutoShackMotorSports
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
LAKERLVR wrote:
DaggerInTheHeart wrote:

He also transformed Dallas from a joke to a team almost any player in the league would want to play for. He has invested in his city, and in making the players and staff feel valued. He led the charge in demanding accountability from ref's - something that has become trendy since.

He's a good owner and good for the NBA, I wish there were more like him, though I'm very happy with Buss over the years. Who cares what Cuban says, it's just fodder for the press and to entertain the fans. Cuban knows very much what he is doing when he posts to his blog, it's not just a random gloat. And besides, PJ has taken so many jabs at him, it's only fair for him to jab back.

joke - lost Nash to the Suns.

joke - Never won a championship much less a Finals appearance.

joke - Made into Kobe's prostidude.

joke - picked up Dampier (nuff said)

joke - Gave up Finley (who's now playing for the rivals)

joke - Puts too much emphasis on the refs which I'm pretty sure puts a lot of pressure on them to not make a wrong call against Dallas (Hey Cuban, you're not the only person in the world who owns a team)

joke - 62 in three quarters

joke - Franchise player is a softie

joke - Phil is so intimidated, he just settles on beating this Dallas team (anyone have the overall record?)

joke - Cuban intimidates me like the Raptors intimidate Kobe.

Anymore jokes?
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Forget Cuban..........he is a windbag full of low class jealous hate....

What I am concerned about is the total of "T's"......Kobe has.....I know why he is getting them,but the total of 16 and you get suspended is of concern to me.......He is getting about one in four games on average......that means by about game 68 or so he will have #16.....that means suspension for a game.....And more suspensions with any other T's after that......And if we are actually still in the hunt for a playoff spot,any time missed from Kobe is major.......

Kobe has to now start watching every word,and with this losing streak showing no signs of ending,and these tripls and traps draped all over him,I think he will become even more angry and frustrated.......

Last edited by Tarzan008 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: