"I own Phil Jackson" - Mark Cuban
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAKERLVR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject:

bthanos wrote:
I admire Mark Cuban. I think he is a fricken genious. Im a Laker fan, but I really like the way he attacked Phil's comments. Here is a guy who is a billionaire and pretty much succeeds in whatever he does. He has so many other things going on yet he takes the time to respond to Phil's obvious psycological tactics. Anyone who does not have respect for what this guy has accomplished is blind. The guy is a prodigy.

Mark Cuban, is that you?
bthanos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
LAKERLVR wrote:
DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
I wish we had Mark as our owner he speaks his mind unlike some of our people in the Organization.

Who cares? The guy is unprofessional and a joke. Not to mention he's produced 0 championships and 0 finals appearances, only a crap load of salary cap burning is what he does.

He also transformed Dallas from a joke to a team almost any player in the league would want to play for. He has invested in his city, and in making the players and staff feel valued. He led the charge in demanding accountability from ref's - something that has become trendy since.

He's a good owner and good for the NBA, I wish there were more like him, though I'm very happy with Buss over the years. Who cares what Cuban says, it's just fodder for the press and to entertain the fans. Cuban knows very much what he is doing when he posts to his blog, it's not just a random gloat. And besides, PJ has taken so many jabs at him, it's only fair for him to jab back.

I admire Mark Cuban. I think he is a fricken genious. Im a Laker fan, but I really like the way he attacked Phil's comments. Here is a guy who is a billionaire and pretty much succeeds in whatever he does. He has so many other things going on yet he takes the time to respond to Phil's obvious psycological tactics. Anyone who does not have respect for what this guy has accomplished is blind. The guy is a prodigy.
LAKERLVR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:

bthanos wrote:
Socks wrote:
LAKERLVR wrote:
DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
I wish we had Mark as our owner he speaks his mind unlike some of our people in the Organization.

Who cares? The guy is unprofessional and a joke. Not to mention he's produced 0 championships and 0 finals appearances, only a crap load of salary cap burning is what he does.

He also transformed Dallas from a joke to a team almost any player in the league would want to play for. He has invested in his city, and in making the players and staff feel valued. He led the charge in demanding accountability from ref's - something that has become trendy since.

He's a good owner and good for the NBA, I wish there were more like him, though I'm very happy with Buss over the years. Who cares what Cuban says, it's just fodder for the press and to entertain the fans. Cuban knows very much what he is doing when he posts to his blog, it's not just a random gloat. And besides, PJ has taken so many jabs at him, it's only fair for him to jab back.

You just wrote that. Mark Cuban, that is you!
bthanos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject:

LAKERLVR wrote:
bthanos wrote:
Socks wrote:
LAKERLVR wrote:
DaggerInTheHeart wrote:

You just wrote that. Mark Cuban, that is you!

Nope. Just forgot to cut and paste the other comments. My bad.
FerrisVille
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Cuban is great for the NBA. These kinds of remarks are just poking fun like Phil does at him. It's like "yo mamma" rounds in the playground. Harmless fun for the entertainment of the fans.
IM sorry Cuban is everything that is wrong in the NBA. Owners should barely be seen and only heard when raising banners and signing Key acquisitions. This is a professional sport not a circus with Cuban the entertainer running around. I find the guy to be a blemish in the NBA.
bthanos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject:

gp5 wrote:
Socks wrote:
Cuban is great for the NBA. These kinds of remarks are just poking fun like Phil does at him. It's like "yo mamma" rounds in the playground. Harmless fun for the entertainment of the fans.
IM sorry Cuban is everything that is wrong in the NBA. Owners should barely be seen and only heard when raising banners and signing Key acquisitions. This is a professional sport not a circus with Cuban the entertainer running around. I find the guy to be a blemish in the NBA.

What's wrong with taking over a struggling franchise and turning it around? He has increased attendance and TV ratings. He has put Dallas on the map as far as NBA basketball goes. He has made them an entertaining franchise. This is great for the NBA.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject:

gp5 wrote:
Socks wrote:

You also gotta wonder if his constant interfering with his players and team, affects them when it counts the most. I know the year before Nash left, his players were really growing tired of him - they were claiming he'd promise one thing and do another. The Mavs are huge chokers and always have been. I can't imagine having the owner so deeply in your jock wouldn't put more pressure on you.

After all, for all his spending and "speaking of his mind", the Mavs still haven't won't squat.
bthanos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
gp5 wrote:
Socks wrote:

You also gotta wonder if his constant interfering with his players and team, affects them when it counts the most. I know the year before Nash left, his players were really growing tired of him - they were claiming he'd promise one thing and do another. The Mavs are huge chokers and always have been. I can't imagine having the owner so deeply in your jock wouldn't put more pressure on you.

After all, for all his spending and "speaking of his mind", the Mavs still haven't won't squat.

Dude, the guy turned the franchise around on a dime. He has owned the team for a relativley short period of time. Maybe they have not won a championship, but they win 50-60 games per year. You have to give the man some credit.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Exactly, what is this franchise doing at this point? last year we wen't to the lottery and this year we're heading to that direction again.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject:

gp5 wrote:
Socks wrote:

I disagree completely. Cuban has really turned his franchise around and he needs to get a lot of credit for that. Yeah, he hasn't won a championship, but his team is doing very well right now and has a great young core to be in the hunt for a long time, and I would argue Dallas is in a better position to win a championship over the next 5 years than the Lakers are.

As far as how in your face he is, I can see how that might get annoying, and yeah he takes it overboard sometimes, but all in all, if you don't want to see him, just turn off the channel. If you don't want to hear from him, don't read the article or push the mute button. You'll notice when he's obtrusive it generally comes down to the refs. The other owners in the NBA have been trying to get the league to look at reffing issues for YEARS by going about it quietly and have had zero effect. Cuban is taking a different route and has at least brought the issue to the forefront even if we haven't seen huge changes yet. He's been more effectual there than all of the other owners combined over the last 10 years.

I also can't blame him for his presence at games. How many other owners sit in their high and mighty box seats and seem to pay no attention to the fans? This guys sits with the fans and cheers for his team. That helps get the community energized and supporting their team and gives the team that homecourt advantage. He is legendary for being available and answering 1000's of emails from joe blow fan about how they don't like the hotdogs or there is too much gum under the seats and works to fix that to provide a great product to fans.

All of those things are things I would applaud, not degradate.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I don't wish Cuban owned the Lakers, but I think he's a fantastic owner and great for the NBA. I especially love hearing his opinion when it contains Laker Hate. That always makes me warm and fuzzy.

You wanna talk ownage, Mark? Ok, here goes.
Lakers versus Mavs:
Head-to-head: 84-23
Championships: 14-0, 7-0 since Dallas joined the league.
Playoff appearances: 52-11, 23-11 since Dallas joined the league.

Since you've been owner:
Head-to-head: 19-8
Championships: 3-0
Playoff record: Lakers 64-30, Dallas 25-31
62 points in 3 quarters, (bleep).

It's actually 22-8 for the head-to-head through the 6.5 seasons you've owned the team, but I was nice enough not to count the first 3 games in the 99-00 season since you didn't take over until February. In other words, Cuban is JACKSOWNED!
heineken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Cuban is a Joke. A total anything for a buck sell out.
Prostitution basketball at it's finest.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject:

heineken wrote:

Says the guy named "heineken" with the "it's all about the beer" sig
bthanos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:

heineken wrote:

I dont see anything wrong with trying to make a buck. The man has reenergized a franchise which was literally dead.

Besides, I think Dr. Buss also likes to make a buck or two dont you?
El Ocho
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:

who is this geek?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject:

this is the same guy who said kobe's rape trial was good for the nba. no need to lend any credence to what this clown says.
heineken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
heineken wrote:

What's wrong with the sig? Is anything I stated untrue. Do you not think that Cuban would do anything for a buck?
heineken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject:

bthanos wrote:
heineken wrote:

I dont see anything wrong with trying to make a buck. The man has reenergized a franchise which was literally dead.

I don't want to argue with you right now Mr. Cuban. You are a great guy. and are not literally a sell out. Paleeeeaaassse..... Mark Cuban's fan club can sign off now. He is the same guy that had to work at dairy queen because of statements made regarding the officiating. He is the same thing that said Kobe's rape trial was just good publicity for the NBA.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject:

heineken wrote:
Socks wrote:
heineken wrote:

What's wrong with the sig? Is anything I stated untrue. Do you not think that Cuban would do anything for a buck?

I was just pointing out that it's ironic that you accuse Cuban of selling out when your name and sig are selling out to a beer.

Of course Cuban would do anything for a buck, he's a businessman. Just because people do things for money does not always make it wrong, that's oversimplification. In this case, Cuban is doing things that are ultimately good for his franchise and good for the NBA. It's in an owner's best interests to provide a great product for fans, because then they make money. That's what he's doing with the Mav's - producing a good product that the people of Dallas want to consume. It's also in his best interest to do what's best for the NBA, or else there wouldn't be a Mavs team.

It's great that it makes him money while he's doing it. I think we would all be happy to be getting paid for doing good work for something we love. We're all fooling ourselves if we think other owners aren't concerned about the bottom line.

Last edited by Socks on Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
bthanos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject:

heineken wrote:
bthanos wrote:
heineken wrote:

I don't want to argue with you right now Mr. Cuban. You are a great guy. and are not literally a sell out. Paleeeeaaassse..... Mark Cuban's fan club can sign off now. He is the same guy that had to work at dairy queen because of statements made regarding the officiating. He is the same thing that said Kobe's rape trial was just good publicity for the NBA.

You almost forgot... He is also the same guy who sold his company, Broadcast.com for several billion dollars when the Nasdaq was at its peak in the late 90's. You are correct. I am a Mark Cuban fan.
heineken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
heineken wrote:
Socks wrote:
heineken wrote:

I was just pointing out that it's ironic that you accuse Cuban of selling out when you're name and sig are selling out to a beer.

Of course Cuban would do anything for a buck, he's a businessman. Just because people do things for money does not always make it wrong, that's oversimplification. In this case, Cuban is doing things that are ultimately good for his franchise and good for the NBA. It's in an owner's best interests to provide a great product for fans, because then they make money. That's what he's doing with the Mav's - producing a good product that the people of Dallas want to consume. It's also in his best interest to do what's best for the NBA, or else there wouldn't be a Mavs team.

It's great that it makes him money while he's doing it. I think we would all be happy to be getting paid for doing good work for something we love. We're all fooling ourselves if we think other owners aren't concerned about the bottom line.

Cuban is the epitomy of sell out. He should't be the focal point his team should be the focal point. I'm glad you like Cuban aparently as much as I like Heineken. However, he is always over the top with everything he does and says. Including this ridiculous article about Phil Jackson. Mark Cuban might have so much money he has forgotten what he owns.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject:

heineken wrote:
Socks wrote:
heineken wrote:
Socks wrote:
heineken wrote:

I was just pointing out that it's ironic that you accuse Cuban of selling out when you're name and sig are selling out to a beer.

Cuban is the epitomy of sell out. He should't be the focal point his team should be the focal point. I'm glad you like Cuban aparently as much as I like Heineken. However, he is always over the top with everything he does and says. Including this ridiculous article about Phil Jackson. Mark Cuban might have so much money he has forgotten what he owns.

When sports casters and fans talk about the Mavs they generally talk about:

- The win streak
- Their great players
- The new focus on defense
- How they could challenge for a championship
- The good job Avery Johnson is doing

I don't hear much about Cuban. Sure you see more about him than other owners, but that's because he's making noise to get rules changed rather than sitting on his hands. It's because he's reaching out to the fans to get them excited about his team. Again, there's nothing wrong with those things and I applaud him for doing them. It doesn't mean I don't like Buss and his style, but you're looking at things in black and white if you're just calling him bad without recognizing all the good he does. You might not like his style, but 'cmon, the guy's doing a better job than most owners out there, especially since he hasn't owned the team all that long.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Mark Cuban is a "genius"? He succeeds at everything he does? I like Mark Cuban, I think he's funny. He makes me laugh sometimes. But I wouldn't call him a genius. I would call him the luckiest man on the planet.

Here is a guy who took a company called broadcast.com...and sold it to Yahoo at the very top of the .com bubble, and was able to cash out right before it crashed. If he had been unfortunate enough to have sold his company a few months later, we wouldn't even know who Mark Cuban is.

He was in the right place at the right time. Go to Broadcast.com now and see how lucky he was. (I'll save you the trouble, it goes straight to yahoo.com.) Yahoo wasn't even able to figure out what to do with Cubans "brilliant" creation.

Of course...I guess it goes to show it's better to be lucky than it is to be brilliant.
heineken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
heineken wrote:
Socks wrote:
heineken wrote:
Socks wrote:
heineken wrote:

When sports casters and fans talk about the Mavs they generally talk about:

- The win streak
- Their great players
- The new focus on defense
- How they could challenge for a championship
- The good job Avery Johnson is doing

I don't hear much about Cuban. Sure you see more about him than other owners, but that's because he's making noise to get rules changed rather than sitting on his hands. It's because he's reaching out to the fans to get them excited about his team. Again, there's nothing wrong with those things and I applaud him for doing them. It doesn't mean I don't like Buss and his style, but you're looking at things in black and white if you're just calling him bad without recognizing all the good he does. You might not like his style, but 'cmon, the guy's doing a better job than most owners out there, especially since he hasn't owned the team all that long.

I never said Cuban was bad. Just a joke. A complete I'll sell my grandma for a buck joke. I'm glad you like him. It doesn't matter to me. He is all about himself and his publicity. If you want my personal opinion I find him humorous. I laugh mostly at him but still he makes me laugh.
bthanos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Mark Cuban is a "genius"? He succeeds at everything he does? I like Mark Cuban, I think he's funny. He makes me laugh sometimes. But I wouldn't call him a genius. I would call him the luckiest man on the planet.

Here is a guy who took a company called broadcast.com...and sold it to Yahoo at the very top of the .com bubble, and was able to cash out right before it crashed. If he had been unfortunate enough to have sold his company a few months later, we wouldn't even know who Mark Cuban is.

He was in the right place at the right time. Go to Broadcast.com now and see how lucky he was. (I'll save you the trouble, it goes straight to yahoo.com.) Yahoo wasn't even able to figure out what to do with Cubans "brilliant" creation.

Of course...I guess it goes to show it's better to be lucky than it is to be brilliant.

He recognized that we were in a bubble. Yes, he was at the right place at the right time, but that is the way in works my man. He is def smarter than the average bear.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: