Larry Bird on FA: "I couldn't imagine going to the Lakers and playing w/ Magic Johnson
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Larry Bird on FA: "I couldn't imagine going to the Lakers and playing w/ Magic Johnson

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/07/09/larry-bird-on-free-agency-i-couldnt-imagine-going-to-the-lakers-and-playing-with-magic-johnson/

Quote:
Larry Bird on free agency: “I couldn’t imagine going to the Lakers and playing with Magic Johnson”

Do you want to know the biggest reason Larry Bird never left the Boston Celtics in his prime?

He couldn’t.

Free agency as we understand it didn’t exist until 1988, that was after Bird had won his MVPs and titles. Before 1988, even if your contract was up, you could only leave your team if they let you and the team signing you sent them compensation (more of a trade than free agency). Good teams didn’t have to let their best players leave, so they didn’t. We’ll never know how Bird (or Magic or any superstar pre-Jordan) would have handled true free agency as it exists today.

Of course, that’s not how Bird remembers it. No doubt he’s as competitive as anyone who ever played the game, and in speaking with on “SiriusXM NBA Radio” with hosts Mark Boyle and Chris Spatola Bird compared his era with this one and what Kevin Durant did in free agency.

“Well, it’s hard, Mark, because when these players get together and go play it just makes them a lot stronger. But that’s why we have free agency. If they stay within the rules I have no problem with it and I’m happy for them but you like to be on a team where you can be competitive. I know back in the day I couldn’t imagine going to the Lakers and playing with Magic Johnson. I’d rather try to beat him. But, you know, these guys are different and I understand a lot of it and it’s within the rules so they can do whatever they do. I can remember years ago we were fighting, when I played, for free agency, you know, pure free agency so there’d be more movement. But I could never imagine myself going and joining another team with great players because I had great players and I was in a great situation.”

This will be fuel for the “Durant took the easy way out” crowd, even though with this move Durant put more pressure on himself. Durant had earned the right to choose his working environment, and the same people who will judge him on how many rings he won now complain he took the best route to getting himself those rings — which makes these people hypocrites. Welcome to the Internet.

We’ll never know how Bird and Magic’s careers might have been different — and how the super teams they were lucky enough to be drafted into and were built around them would have changed — in the kind of free agency we have now. Different eras in the NBA are hard to compare for those reasons. But take to the comments and tell me how I’m wrong and everything used to be better back when you were younger — “Make the NBA Great Again
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Having Bird on the other side made our title runs much better.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Old school.
klee1113
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject:

well if durant was winning rings in OKC he wouldnt leave either.. wtf Burd
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject:

He sounds pretty neutral about it saying he had great players and was in a great situation. Even Isiah Thomas said that he would have loved Bird at Pistons while weakening Celtics at the same time. Anyways, the whole landscape has changed. I don't think Pippen earned close to what Jordon got from Bulls. Right now both could get max contracts. Staying at Indiana as their franchise guy probably made more sense financially for Reggie. Now, it's easier to form super teams and get paid the same.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject:

klee1113 wrote:
well if durant was winning rings in OKC he wouldnt leave either.. what the heck Burd

If Durant played like he should have, he might have a ring from this season. It cuts both ways.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject:

The league was more contracted with about 23/24 teams in the 80's. Celtics had a bunch of stars, but had to because the Lakers had a bunch of stars. Even still, the amazing thing was that both team's talents were home-grown. Magic had a hand in making Worthy better as did Bird with Mchale. The thing about Durant's failue in OKC is that his team was stacked like it was in the contracted 80's. OKC should have been a dynasty in this league. It is as Stephen A puts it, the weakest move ever by a super star.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
klee1113 wrote:
well if durant was winning rings in OKC he wouldnt leave either.. what the heck Burd

If Durant played like he should have, he might have a ring from this season. It cuts both ways.

if the Thunder organization had kept the team together and not picked Kendrick Perkins over James Harden and paid Jeff Green then they'd have rings.

They would have had

Russell Westbrook
James Harden
Kevin Durant
Serge Ibaka

in their starting squad, and Jeff Green off the bench. All home grown and all with bird's rights.

That's all their rings they left on the table. Golden State didn't make that mistake, and thus they benefitted. OKC decided to be cheap, and they pay for it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject:

That was the mentality before NBA players became so soft. Do you ever think that MJ would have joined the Pistons after they beat his Bulls? Or Kobe join the Spurs after they eliminated the Lakers? Heck no. Instead of being dominant and doing all he could to lead the Thunder over the Warriors, KD took the easy way out and joined them. Soft.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Is this really thread worthy?
I Bleed P&G
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:

That is debatable. But it definitely doesn't belong in the lounge.
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject:

I Bleed P&G wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:

Get LB out of my Laker Lounge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject:

We wouldn't have taken you, Larry.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject:

I Bleed P&G wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:

I was about to say the same but maybe the mere mention of Magic Johnson makes it lounge worthy, I don't know

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
That was the mentality before NBA players became so soft. Do you ever think that MJ would have joined the Pistons after they beat his Bulls? Or Kobe join the Spurs after they eliminated the Lakers? Heck no. Instead of being dominant and doing all he could to lead the Thunder over the Warriors, KD took the easy way out and joined them. Soft.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject:

I Bleed P&G wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:

The reason I say that is because what he said, goes without saying. Every legend will say this.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:

Like heck we wouldn't have

You really think if Larry Bird ever came to Jerry Buss and said "I want to be a Laker" and we could do it while keeping our core that Jerry would have said no?

Seriously.. Michael Jordan wanted to be a Laker and throughout high school would dream about the MJ to MJ connection, even had a reference to it on his license plate.

Imagine if Jordan had left College his first year and the Lakers drafted him instead of James Worthy....

Anyway. The way the NBA was back then, players couldn't leave those teams, they were essentially lifers unless their team let them go. It wasn't an era of big free agency where the players had the kind of pull they have now.

One thing's for sure. If it WAS the same as today back then and something crazy and unforseen like Isaiah Thomas leaving Detroit in Free Agency to join the Bulls, you'd see similar backlash but it'd get mass attention as well. But if Chicago put together a superteam in the East consisting of Jordan, Pippen, Isaiah and Rodman.

You'd be sure as freaking heck that if the Lakers had a chance at Larry if it meant beating THEM that they'd take it.

Wanna know the funny thing? 3 of those "Superteam" members of the Bulls DID wind up on the same team together, and they broke the NBA salary rules in order to do so.. but it wasn't reinforced because MJ was the biggest thing in the NBA at the moment so of course rules would be 'bent' for a team he's on. But that's another debate entirely.

The thing is the culture was different back then because of NOT just competitive nature but you go into the league understanding that the top players on other teams have little to no chance of playing with each other unless drafted there or let go of by their team.

So you enter the league if you're Magic KNOWING there's no chance you'll ever be on the same team as Larry Bird.

When that reality sets in it's much easier to form rivalries that seem so 'genuine' because it was ALWAYS more often than not going to be 'you' vs 'them'. Nowadays the possibility of guys drafted playing together is possible after 4 years in the least and 7 years at the most when they enter free agency the first time. and THAT type of reality and world creates different player relationships.

HECK even with as competitive as Kobe was, he was trying to recruit KG here, you know, the former league MVP who got it when Kobe should have, and the guy whom the Lakers constantly were knocking out of the playoffs, and KG was strongly entertaining it.

Now where was the media questioning KD's drive and determination for wanting to pair up with Kobe Bryant and the Lakers? the team that was constantly knocking them out of the playoffs just 2 years prior?

And you can sure as HECK bet that if KG was a free agent around the last time we knocked the T'Wolves out of the playoffs if we knew we had the space going into the next season we'd have been all over it. We'd have been like "Sorry for knocking you out of the playoffs again KG...see you here next year though!"

But we were all pissed when KG went and formed with Allen and Pierce. Why? Cause we were an 8th seed team at best(we thought) and they were better than us. This is another factor in what pissed Kobe off and had him saying he'd rather play on Pluto than here.

Luckily for us, Bynum started his coming out party that year and we were a winning team on our way to the WCF we felt. Then when he went down, we felt 'well here we go again..' then we got Gasol... and the rest is history.
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Math wrote:

You really think if Larry Bird ever came to Jerry Buss and said "I want to be a Laker" that Jerry would have said no?

Seriously.. Michael Jordan wanted to be a Laker and throughout high school would dream about the MJ to MJ connection, even had a reference to it on his license plate.

Imagine if Jordan had left College his first year and the Lakers drafted him instead of James Worthy....

Anyway. The way the NBA was back then, players couldn't leave those teams, they were essentially lifers unless their team let them go. It wasn't an era of big free agency where the players had the kind of pull they have now.

One thing's for sure. If it WAS the same as today back then and something crazy and unforseen like Isaiah Thomas leaving Detroit in Free Agency to join the Bulls, you'd see similar backlash but it'd get mass attention as well. But if Chicago put together a superteam in the East consisting of Jordan, Pippen, Isaiah and Rodman.

You'd be sure as freaking heck that if the Lakers had a chance at Larry if it meant beating THEM that they'd take it.

Wanna know the funny thing? 3 of those "Superteam" members of the Bulls DID wind up on the same team together, and they broke the NBA salary rules in order to do so.. but it wasn't reinforced because MJ was the biggest thing in the NBA at the moment so of course rules would be 'bent' for a team he's on. But that's another debate entirely.

The thing is the culture was different back then because of NOT just competitive nature but you go into the league understanding that the top players on other teams have little to no chance of playing with each other unless drafted there or let go of by their team.

So you enter the league if you're Magic KNOWING there's no chance you'll ever be on the same team as Larry Bird.

When that reality sets in it's much easier to form rivalries that seem so 'genuine' because it was ALWAYS more often than not going to be 'you' vs 'them'. Nowadays the possibility of guys drafted playing together is possible after 4 years in the least and 7 years at the most when they enter free agency the first time. and THAT type of reality and world creates different player relationships.

HECK even with as competitive as Kobe was, he was trying to recruit KG here, you know, the former league MVP who got it when Kobe should have, and the guy whom the Lakers constantly were knocking out of the playoffs, and KG was strongly entertaining it.

Now where was the media questioning KD's drive and determination for wanting to pair up with Kobe Bryant and the Lakers? the team that was constantly knocking them out of the playoffs just 2 years prior?

And you can sure as HECK bet that if KG was a free agent around the last time we knocked the T'Wolves out of the playoffs if we knew we had the space going into the next season we'd have been all over it. We'd have been like "Sorry for knocking you out of the playoffs again KG...see you here next year though!"

But we were all pissed when KG went and formed with Allen and Pierce. Why? Cause we were an 8th seed team at best(we thought) and they were better than us. This is another factor in what pissed Kobe off and had him saying he'd rather play on Pluto than here.

Luckily for us, Bynum started his coming out party that year and we were a winning team on our way to the WCF we felt. Then when he went down, we felt 'well here we go again..' then we got Gasol... and the rest is history.

Wait? What? Are you saying we would have taken LB, MJ wanted to be a Laker, it's different now . . .

The thought remains, Green and Forum Blue don't mix. Get this thread outta here!
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Larry Bird: blah blah blah.

When we were young, we were better than you.

Blah blah blah.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Math wrote:

You really think if Larry Bird ever came to Jerry Buss and said "I want to be a Laker" and we could do it while keeping our core that Jerry would have said no?

I really do.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject:

I Bleed P&G wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:

I was going to put it in the GB Discussion but it mentioned Lakers so I thought you guys would want it there

Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject:

"I can remember years ago we were fighting, when I played, for free agency, you know, pure free agency so there’d be more movement. But I could never imagine myself going and joining another team with great players because I had great players and I was in a great situation.”

Not really that controversial when you see this quote. He's saying they were fighting for the ability to do what these guys are doing now but he personally didn't need to because he was already in a great situation.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
if the Thunder organization had kept the team together and not picked Kendrick Perkins over James Harden and paid Jeff Green then they'd have rings.

They would have had

Russell Westbrook
James Harden
Kevin Durant
Serge Ibaka

in their starting squad, and Jeff Green off the bench. All home grown and all with bird's rights.

That's all their rings they left on the table. Golden State didn't make that mistake, and thus they benefitted. OKC decided to be cheap, and they pay for it.

Golden State was smart, but they also benefited from some luck. If Stephen Curry doesn't get injured and sign his current below-market contract, would they have the money to fit the rest of their players?

I can't fault Durant for wanting to grab a ring with the best possible team he can join. I wish these rules were around for the Lakers best squad. Imagine the kind of super talent the Shaq-Kobe teams would've had with the current salary cap in place.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:
MJST wrote:
Math wrote:

I really do.

No way. Jerry Buss was all about winning titles. Plus, to screw the Celtics in the process? He'd do that in a millisecond.
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject:

I hate the Celtics but i love this from Bird respect!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: