Larry Bird on FA: "I couldn't imagine going to the Lakers and playing w/ Magic Johnson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
I've already stated my case for why RINGZ aren't all the same.

I'm sure you have and I'm sure any fan can come up with any reason why someone's championship means less than someone else's. Fans love to play those games. You have already set the bar for Durant at breaking just about every conceivable record and have it be not impressive. We'll see how you feel in a few years if they win a title.

<Conveniently ignore that the argument was solely in the frame of "THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS RINGZ" which was your own original argument, to which I was responding.>
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Like I said, it's an 'era' thing but not on the "it was more competitive" front.

The way the league was built, there was none of that 'big time free agency' drama back then in Bird and Magic's time. When you were drafted to a team that was the team you were usually and most likely with for your career unless they let you go.

That effectively destroys any THOUGHT that these guys are gonna play together on the same team unless drafted there.

So back then the thought of "oh we could play together someday" never came up in their minds cause it wasn't worth considering as it was near impossible.

In THIS era that doesn't exist, contracts, free agency, etc is handled much differently.

Now if in THIS era it was near impossible for guys to leave the team they'r drafted to like it was in the 80s the 'rivalries' would still be around, because you knew you were a lifer at that team regardless so things are built that way both in mind and upbringing in that sport.

It just isn't like that today because the league is no longer built like that and players have a lot more freedom to decide where to go than they used to back then. That's a big a reason as any.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

I'm sure you have and I'm sure any fan can come up with any reason why someone's championship means less than someone else's. Fans love to play those games. You have already set the bar for Durant at breaking just about every conceivable record and have it be not impressive. We'll see how you feel in a few years if they win a title.

<Conveniently ignore that the argument was solely in the frame of "THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS RINGZ" which was your own original argument, to which I was responding.>

It wasn't my argument. It's the general fan argument. Not sure if you're listening.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

It wasn't my argument. It's the general fan argument. Not sure if you're listening.

I understand that. But when I originally posted my argument of the Warriors going 75-7 and 16-1 not meaning much, I didn't know that, and so it was a direct response to the RINGZ argument.

I am not saying in general being part of the greatest team ever isn't something to be proud of.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: