EuroBasket 2017

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: EuroBasket 2017

As usual I am watching EuroBasket to try and maintain my sanity as I await the start of the NBA season. Turkey is apparently the host and their team gave somewhat of a fight but Spain ended up rolling over them as usual. Not sure I expect any upsets to happen in the EuroBasket LOL. Probably the most notable thing is Ricky Rubio's homeless chic look he has going on right now.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Both games today were fun.

Spain vs Germany; Marc Gasol went OFF. Homeless Rubio continues to play well (as did Pau, but it was The Marc Show this game).

Schröder (Ger) played well but he was basically by himself.

Kristaps PorUnicorn played well for Latvia, but Goran Dragic and some guy I've never heard of before (Doncic) went off for Slovenia.

As their reward, Slovenia next plays Spain. We'll see if Dragic and a bunch of unknown euro-guys can beat the defending Eurobasket champs (which is pretty much an NBA team).
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:

Spain vs Germany; Marc Gasol went OFF. Homeless Rubio continues to play well (as did Pau, but it was The Marc Show this game).

Kristaps PorUnicorn played well for Latvia, but Goran Dragic and some guy I've never heard of before (Doncic) went off for Slovenia.

As their reward, Slovenia next plays Spain. We'll see if Dragic and a bunch of unknown euro-guys can beat the defending Eurobasket champs (which is pretty much an NBA team).

You haven't heard of Luka Doncic?

Still too early for clarity on the 2018 Draft, but he should at a minimum be in the top 10. Depending on how things go, he might even be in consideration as a top 3 pick.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
TDRock wrote:

Still too early for clarity on the 2018 Draft, but he should at a minimum be in the top 10. Depending on how things go, he might even be in consideration as a top 3 pick.

No I hadn't heard of him before today. But I can believe he'd be a top draft pick b/c he sho nuff threw down today.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
TDRock wrote:

No I hadn't heard of him before today. But I can believe he'd be a top draft pick b/c he sho nuff threw down today.

Look here: http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=182631

The guy is one of the core players one one of the best teams in Europe (Real Madrid) and is playing at an unbelievable level for our national team. Born in 1999. I'm no expert and I don't watch college ball (although I would dare to say that strongest European leagues are far superior to NCAA, considering you have to play grown men there) but I'd be surprised if he doesn't go top 3. One of the greatest talents in recent memory.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
TDRock wrote:

Look here: http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=182631

The guy is one of the core players one one of the best teams in Europe (Real Madrid) and is playing at an unbelievable level for our national team. Born in 1999. I'm no expert and I don't watch college ball (although I would dare to say that strongest European leagues are far superior to NCAA, considering you have to play grown men there) but I'd be surprised if he doesn't go top 3. One of the greatest talents in recent memory.

Wow that's crazy. And isn't dude like 5 y/o?! (Not literally but you know what I mean)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Luka may go #1 or top 3.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

WOW! Slovenia is currently beating the crap out of Spain! Did not expect this at all (going into Eurobasket, after I saw Slovenia the other day I was like "oh werd?! 🤔").
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Nice Slovenia!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Luka Doncic is the real deal.

http://www.fiba.basketball/eurobasket/2017/news/luka-doncic-the-kid-who-has-made-defying-belief-a-habit
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Okay, this is probably the greatest victory in our country's history (at least team sports wise). Was Spain ever beaten so badly? Wow, no words can describe the euphoria here.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
Okay, this is probably the greatest victory in our country's history (at least team sports wise). Was Spain ever beaten so badly? Wow, no words can describe the euphoria here.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Congrats!

I missed the games yesterday but both the 3rd place (ESP vs RUS) and the Finals games (SLO vs SRB) should be good. I hope they aren't on at some completely crazy time so I can catch them lol
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Anthony Randolph representing Slovenia...
Yes, I know it's a stupid FIBA rule allowing for a nationalized player.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject:

Hmmm 🤔. Injuring Marc did not prove to be an effective strategy LOL. The guy didn't really do it on purpose but it made Pau rise up for the remainder of that first half and now Marc is back for the second half and he has resumed stomping on people. I did not realize that Mozzy is taller than Pau. Not that it's made a difference.

EDIT: Mozzy did not appreciate my last comment and just dunked on Marc LOL
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:

Alright well...awwwww Marc's daughter is SO CUTE!!!

Anyway Russia managed to come back and make it a game so that was cool but in the end Spain prevailed. I saw some article on the Ringer talking about the Hernangomez brothers as the future of the Spanish national team - and they are talented to be sure - but that was a whole lot of GASOL I saw just now. Marc came back from injury I think to be the top scorer and Pau threw down old man style with a double double (24/10, I think. Either 24 or 26). Oh and this was Juan Carlos Navarro's final game apparently. Anyway Fun. Now lets see how the Slovenia juggernaut does in the Finals.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Wow HELLA game. Dragic went nuclear. Aww some young player on the Serbia team was starting to tear up. Anyway yeah. This was a Finals game. Congrats Slovenia and Nobody!
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

MVP! MVP! MVP! I've always liked Dragic. Did they say this was his last game for his Nat'l team?! How old is he? Maybe I heard that wrong.

Pau was also selected for the Top Five of EuroBasket so if this is his last he went out on the good foot yet again.

OK I think I'm done. That was super fun and that's enough to hopefully keep me together for these last painful two weeks until the preseason starts lol Go Lakers!
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so after we beat Spain, the whole country frantically searched for ways to get to Istanbul (roughly 1500 km from our capital city). The airlines and travel agencies scrambeled, they supposedly received 2 or 3 thousand calls in a matter of hours (on a Friday, no less).

Me, my father and my friend were semi-interested in going, but the prices were too high (500 EUR for a chartered flight - there and back in the same day - and game tickets). Luckily for me, they got more and more interested as the day went by and before you knew it we were on some sort of a waiting list. They confirmed our reservation late Friday night and told us the details late Saturday night.

After 4 hours of sleep, we went to the airport (6 AM), made the flight to Istanbul (11 chartered flights, 2.400 fans total, 44 local buses), strolled around until 7 PM and then went to the Arena.

The ambient was incredible, there were 7.000 Slovenian fans in the arena (the second biggest Slovenian fan "exodus" ever - EURO 2000 (football) holds the record still with 10.000 fans). The rest is already history - the biggest collective sports achievement for our tiny country (total population of 2 million). With Dragic putting on a Kobe-esque performance, along with the "too tired to even hit the front of the rim" finish, where he was completely gassed, cramped and dead-tired but still tried to will us to victory. And in the end the B-squad (no Doncic who badly sprained his ankle late in the 3rd) held the fort down during the last 3-4 minutes and played their minds off. So the only thing that was left for us was to celebrate our minds off. Oh, and hurry to the airport, fly back home and head to work after 3 hours of sleep total.

But it was (bleep) worth it.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so after we beat Spain, the whole country frantically searched for ways to get to Istanbul (roughly 1500 km from our capital city). The airlines and travel agencies scrambeled, they supposedly received 2 or 3 thousand calls in a matter of hours (on a Friday, no less).

Me, my father and my friend were semi-interested in going, but the prices were too high (500 EUR for a chartered flight - there and back in the same day - and game tickets). Luckily for me, they got more and more interested as the day went by and before you knew it we were on some sort of a waiting list. They confirmed our reservation late Friday night and told us the details late Saturday night.

After 4 hours of sleep, we went to the airport (6 AM), made the flight to Istanbul (11 chartered flights, 2.400 fans total, 44 local buses), strolled around until 7 PM and then went to the Arena.

The ambient was incredible, there were 7.000 Slovenian fans in the arena (the second biggest Slovenian fan "exodus" ever - EURO 2000 (football) holds the record still with 10.000 fans). The rest is already history - the biggest collective sports achievement for our tiny country (total population of 2 million). With Dragic putting on a Kobe-esque performance, along with the "too tired to even hit the front of the rim" finish, where he was completely gassed, cramped and dead-tired but still tried to will us to victory. And in the end the B-squad (no Doncic who badly sprained his ankle late in the 3rd) held the fort down during the last 3-4 minutes and played their minds off. So the only thing that was left for us was to celebrate our minds off. Oh, and hurry to the airport, fly back home and head to work after 3 hours of sleep total.

But it was (bleep) worth it.

Oh you got to be there?!?! How incredibly awesome!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

Goran Dragic: NBA Prospect Luka Doncic Will Be ‘One of the Best in the Whole World’
Dragic showered praise on his 18-year-old Slovenian teammate.

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/goran-dragic-nba-prospect-luka-doncic-best-world/#1gk0h1qQOYiCqBSX.97
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: