LAKERS -VS- WARRIORS – 7-11-16 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, guys. Nice to be able to get out here and see the games in person.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
You know you're a fan when your reading DB's summer league breakdown.

Aint it the truth?!

Entertaining and informative breakdowns as always DB! Glad to hear GT was there as well, keeping those pockets of Philly and Boston fans in check. I'm still curious who if anyone besides Russell seemed to have a handle on the play book, who stood out most to you among the non-contract invitees, were the Laker games sold out, whether the ground shook when that big GS dude took to the court, and what exactly were the 'baby races' you two were joking about after Game 1??
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -VS- WARRIORS – 7-11-16 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:

Zubac -- -- First off, as mentioned, great pick by Mitch. In the second round, you want someone who will survive in the NBA (and you hope eventually thrive). Honestly, if we featured him more on offense (if he was a higher pick, for instance, and you’d be almost forced to double his touches), he’d be putting up great numbers. He’s shown a very consistent touch from that 15- to 18-foot range on his jumper. Good thing, because he’s not very mobile at all rolling to the hoop. So, if you’re running the two-man game, you probably want him popping for the Roy Hibbert jumper instead of the slow-your-roll Mr. Hibbert rumble to the hoop. Mozgov shows a lot more speed in that aspect of the game and no doubt Zubac will improve watching both him and Black. We give him very few touches in the post (maybe a couple tonight). Usually, when the post touches do come this summer they are of the motion-weak seal variety where we cycle through the first cuts of that set. Defensively, again he was able to get some good challenges around the rim. In this game, I think you started to see what I mentioned in the first game about his struggles on the perimeter. He’s staying back to plug the lane, but he’s giving up a lot of space in the midrange to guards. That makes it especially tough on our D as our guard gets picked off by Zubac’s man on the screen. In the next level, this will only be abused more. (Heck, in practice, Russell would feast on those elbow jumpers against Zubac). Ultimately, it’s one of those things that will probably limit his time on the court until he grows his game. He scored 9 points on 3-3 shooting (3-4 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 2 blocks and 1 turnover in 20 minutes.

His D outside the paint is an issue. Even he himself admits it.
Quote:

[What Nance and Madsen tell him] To be hard. To go for every rebound. To just compete. To box out. Because these guys today, I guarded one guy who is not really center. He's faster. Harder to guard him. Gave me advice about that. [Madsen] When I'm doing individual practice, I work w/ him so he's really helping me a lot.

Quote:

[Asked if he faced a type like 7'6 300 pounds; M. Ndiaye.] No. Oh yea, in Serbia. But he's like so much tougher, older like 34 years. I know how to play against those dudes. [Reporter says "step outside and hit the jump shot?"] I shot 2 times.
I want to show that. Because I can hit that. In Europe, coaches didn't want me to shot the jumper midrange, but I knew always I could. Here I have room to show my stuff. When I'm open I'm going to shoot.
Yea. Yeah. Yeah. He [Jesse] didn't say me anything. Expects me to take the shot. Of course [can hit 3 point range]. If I have chance, I going to shoot.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=178625&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=875

I find it interesting that he is rather mobile running full court but slow in half court. Perhaps partly due to lack of training. It seems European coaches ask their bigs to stay in the paint.

Still even with proper training, his foot speed remains an issue. I don't think one can dramatically change that. But if Marc Gasol can overcome it to be the defender he is, there is hope.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -VS- WARRIORS – 7-11-16 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

LaxT wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Zubac -- -- First off, as mentioned, great pick by Mitch. In the second round, you want someone who will survive in the NBA (and you hope eventually thrive). Honestly, if we featured him more on offense (if he was a higher pick, for instance, and you’d be almost forced to double his touches), he’d be putting up great numbers. He’s shown a very consistent touch from that 15- to 18-foot range on his jumper. Good thing, because he’s not very mobile at all rolling to the hoop. So, if you’re running the two-man game, you probably want him popping for the Roy Hibbert jumper instead of the slow-your-roll Mr. Hibbert rumble to the hoop. Mozgov shows a lot more speed in that aspect of the game and no doubt Zubac will improve watching both him and Black. We give him very few touches in the post (maybe a couple tonight). Usually, when the post touches do come this summer they are of the motion-weak seal variety where we cycle through the first cuts of that set. Defensively, again he was able to get some good challenges around the rim. In this game, I think you started to see what I mentioned in the first game about his struggles on the perimeter. He’s staying back to plug the lane, but he’s giving up a lot of space in the midrange to guards. That makes it especially tough on our D as our guard gets picked off by Zubac’s man on the screen. In the next level, this will only be abused more. (Heck, in practice, Russell would feast on those elbow jumpers against Zubac). Ultimately, it’s one of those things that will probably limit his time on the court until he grows his game. He scored 9 points on 3-3 shooting (3-4 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 2 blocks and 1 turnover in 20 minutes.
His D outside the paint is an issue. Even he himself admits it.
Quote:
[What Nance and Madsen tell him] To be hard. To go for every rebound. To just compete. To box out. Because these guys today, I guarded one guy who is not really center. He's faster. Harder to guard him. Gave me advice about that. [Madsen] When I'm doing individual practice, I work w/ him so he's really helping me a lot.
Quote:
[Asked if he faced a type like 7'6 300 pounds; M. Ndiaye.] No. Oh yea, in Serbia. But he's like so much tougher, older like 34 years. I know how to play against those dudes. [Reporter says "step outside and hit the jump shot?"] I shot 2 times.
I want to show that. Because I can hit that. In Europe, coaches didn't want me to shot the jumper midrange, but I knew always I could. Here I have room to show my stuff. When I'm open I'm going to shoot.
Yea. Yeah. Yeah. He [Jesse] didn't say me anything. Expects me to take the shot. Of course [can hit 3 point range]. If I have chance, I going to shoot.
http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=178625&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=875

I find it interesting that he is rather mobile running full court but slow in half court. Perhaps partly due to lack of training. It seems European coaches ask their bigs to stay in the paint.

Still even with proper training, his foot speed remains an issue. I don't think one can dramatically change that. But if Marc Gasol can overcome it to be the defender he is, there is hope.
Most traditional bigs will have problems defending on the perimeter that can be compensated on how to best utilize their length. The bigger question is whether Zubac can punish them when he is on defense.

How effective are bigs like Whiteside, Monroe, KAT, Marc Gasol, Jordan, Gobert, Biyombi, Chandler and and even Cousins are on the perimeter - physically. The key is how to effectively learn how to use their lengths while contesting all shots.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: