The bond amongst these guys is special
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: The bond amongst these guys is special

As many of you know, I was in Vegas for each of the 3 Summer League games, and just got back to LA this morning. Rather than post the entirety of my thoughts on every little thing, I wanted to focus on the dynamics within the team, which were nothing short of tremendous. Here are some interactions that I found to be meaningful.

-After Jerami Grant dunked on Zubac, both Russell & Nance made it a point to not let him get discouraged on the next dead ball. And it wasn't in an "it's okay, don't worry about it" kind of way, it was in a "focus, we need you" kind of way.

-Russell was less playful pre-game than he was last year. The Lakers usually came out in the 1st/2nd quarter of the game before to watch some of it. Last year, he would laugh & joke with teammates. This year he'd stand by himself, or having a serious conversation w/whomever engaged him. (not fans though, he ignores the fans) I don't think I saw him smile once in a pre-game conversation. He did yawn a lot though. lol

-Ingram is a really low key dude. I wouldn't say he's shy necessarily, he just goes about his business and isn't especially gregarious. Him and Anthony Brown would usually sit next to each other when they'd watch the game before, but I didn't notice a whole lot of conversation.

-Mermuys is already extraordinarily popular amongst the players. It's pretty great. I saw several instances where he was walking from Point A to Point B, kinda minding his own business, and Russell, Nance, or someone else would seek him out and they'd have a lively/friendly conversation. So I take it back...the only time I saw Russell joking/smiling was in interactions with Mermuys.

-The communication was great, both amongst the young guys and between the young guys and the coaching staff. There was a lot of spirited conversations between players, trying to work one issue out or another, and everyone paid close attention to the coaches. Russell was instructing guys where to be on both ends of the court, and everyone talked really well on defense. I was especially impressed with Brown's communication on that end. Even on the bench in the GS game, the starters were engaged with the guys who hadn't gotten any run, and enjoying their successes.

-As I'm sure you guys saw, Clarkson, Randle, & Black all came out at various times over the last few days to show support. All in all I really didn't see anything that was concerning to me. It was a really, really healthy environment and you can tell that they care a lot about each other. Different vibe than any other team that I saw in Vegas.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Larry Nance is a future politician. When all of the other guys were doing their own thing, usually on their phones and/or listening to music, Nance was working the room, talking to reporters.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Were you in Vegas last summer? I bet when you were there the coaches and players stood like a statue and did nothing.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Our team culture is going to be much better going forward.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dope. Thanks.
GoldenThroat

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Were you in Vegas last summer? I bet when you were there the coaches and players stood like a statue and did nothing.

Yes, I was. Last year, you could tell the young guys really liked each other, but on the bench and on the court it was like a funeral. Much less lively, much less communication.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Great read GoldenThroat.

Love the part about Russell. Loving his new attitude.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Yes, I was. Last year, you could tell the young guys really liked each other, but on the bench and on the court it was like a funeral. Much less lively, much less communication.

Chemistry is a crucial element for team success, I'm sure every summer the team liked each other just that this time we have great leaders guiding the young players.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject:

What are the betting odds, we make the playoffs?

Ingram would stay/limit with his peers which is appropriate behavior at his age.

I saw him laughing with Auguste at the bench SL Game 3 in YT.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject:

The offense was rather simplified, but it's miles away from what we ran last year during the summer league right? Also glad to see that the guys are getting along. Also who did you watch in the other games who caught your eye?
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't give the yawning a second thought. Marathon runners often yawn before a big race. There are all sorts of theories on why athletes do this (increases oxygen to the brain, increases focus, Etc.), but it's not uncommon at all.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Great to hear. It's amazing how much a new coaching staff can change the atmosphere. The increased camaraderie is palpable as a fan observing from a far. No surprise it's noticeable in person. I'm really looking forward to watching these guys this Fall. Wins aside, I can already tell this will be one of my favorite Lakers teams.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Good read GT, thanks for sharing.

You can tell Nance is going to be the glue guy going forward, just a great guy to be around. Love the fact that Russell is embracing the leadership role head on. Mermuys is popular among fans as well, I'm always looking forward to his interviews

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
I wouldn't give the yawning a second thought. Marathon runners often yawn before a big race. There are all sorts of theories on why athletes do this (increases oxygen to the brain, increases focus, Etc.), but it's not uncommon at all.

He was practicing all night, explains the turn overs
lakerfan2012
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject:

DLO yawns too much?
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The bond amongst these guys is special

GoldenThroat wrote:
As many of you know, I was in Vegas for each of the 3 Summer League games, and just got back to LA this morning. Rather than post the entirety of my thoughts on every little thing, I wanted to focus on the dynamics within the team, which were nothing short of tremendous. Here are some interactions that I found to be meaningful.

Please post the entirety. It would be a good read.
SoCaLjAy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The bond amongst these guys is special

aprevo15 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Please post the entirety. It would be a good read.

Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Permission to hijack this thread.

Question to GT:

Are the Lakers in your opinion, incapable of Tanking and why?

My position is last 2 years with Scott were us in tank mode but this year Sixers can have our first round pick.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject:

How was D'angelo's hair in person?
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
How was D'angelo's hair in person?

Didn't affect his shooting no doubt.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely great observations to share GT. Thanks. Now, I have a question for the board. If we do not add anymore significant pieces, or make any major trades, I envision this group growing closer and closer throughout the year.

I'm projecting the point of my question to after the upcoming season, and I realize that it's summer league, but, if Russell continues his progression at this rate, we're looking at a born leader with skill. His stature will inevitably rise significantly if he continues to play as he has.

Question: how does a possible signing of the guy in OK affect his game going forth?
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Great stuff GT. Thanks for sharing.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Absolutely great observations to share GT. Thanks. Now, I have a question for the board. If we do not add anymore significant pieces, or make any major trades, I envision this group growing closer and closer throughout the year.

I'm projecting the point of my question to after the upcoming season, and I realize that it's summer league, but, if Russell continues his progression at this rate, we're looking at a born leader with skill. His stature will inevitably rise significantly if he continues to play as he has.

Question: how does a possible signing of the guy in OK affect his game going forth?

One problem I'm happy to have.

Westbrook steals Jordan's role. We have Russell tandem at the guards.

DLo will stiil run the show making life easier for Westbrook to score.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Ah, yes. This must be the "culture" thing Luke talked about. Culture Smulthure. Culture doesn't win ball games. Manning up wins ball games.

-The Great Byron Scott.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Ah, yes. This must be the "culture" thing Luke talked about. Culture Smulthure. Culture doesn't win ball games. Manning up wins ball games.

-The Great Byron Scott.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: