Silver: Perception of Warriors and Cavaliers as overwhelming favorites not good for league
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject:

Everyone calling like it is but Silver.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject:

I'm not one who worries about what image is good for the league. Sheesh, the NBA league is comprised of owners ! They are wealthy in their own right outside of sports, so I'll assume they seem to be doing rather well on their own for four decades out of the past five, at a minimum.

As to what's good for basketball fans in terms of dominant teams ? The 60's were Auerbach-Russell dominated years and the game grew in popularity despite limited TV coverage. The 70's lacked any truly dominant teams and the game sort of stalled in terms of fan base growth. The 80's were the Bird-Magic dominated years and the league prospered in ways it never did before as TV coverage grew to handle the feud. The 90's were the Jordan-Olajuwon years and the league prospered even further. from apparel companies. It seems dominance of a small number of teams is traditionally good for the league.

I reckon that fans feel that if they can follow (,support and) enjoy the play of a few teams then the league - and the pro game - is in plenty good shape.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject:

When the League had super teams ruling it, in the 60s, in the 80s and in the 90s and 00s the league thrived.

When it was an 'everyone has a chance to win a title' league in the 70s, it nearly died. If not for Magic and Bird's Lakers/Celtics Super Rivalry.. the league would have.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Idiot Silver. Should have vetoed the Durant signing for GS. While you're at it, restructure the east/west conferences so Cleveland can have a challenge. See? Easy peasy...
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject:

It's great for the league and for the Owners. Most of the NBA revenue in the future is going to come from TV contracts.

Super teams bring high ratings to games, and thus drive those TV $$$$$s.

If the talent was spread out, the league would seem watered down and definitely not as interesting.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject:

It only works in Baseball due to the history and The American past time, and in Football because of the violence and the appeal.

Basketball doesn't have that advantage. Basketball NEEDS to rely on individual star power to keep that interest going.

Football can drive star power for guys that never win, but their ratings explode even more when they got a guy they can hype AND wins, however their ratings beat the NBA anyway.

The NFL can beat the NBA in ratings when the proverbial "76ers" NFL team faces the proverbial "Bucks" team more than if the NBA puts on anything other than LeBron or Curry at this point.

So right now I'd say that if it wasn't for the Warriors and Cavaleirs rivalry there wouldn't be much to watch in the NBA on a 'mass scale' level.

When the NBA can put a 'face' on dominance and that dominance continuously happening the NBA thrives and thrives better than it ever could.

If the league becomes an 'anyone can win the championship' league, then it will start to die just like it almost did in the 70s till Magic and Bird came in and had their respective super teams. Then Jordan came in and carried it for the next 8 years. Afterwards, it became about Shaq and Kobe, and then about Kobe v LeBron and then LeBron and now LeBron v Curry.

And now it's not just become LeBron v Curry. It's LeBron and Kyrie vs Curry and KD and the story writes itself.

The NBA couldn't have WRITTEN a better off-season cause their ratings are gonna be sky high next year because of that, and it will continue that way.

The NBA needs to stop freaking acting like they wouldn't want Warriors vs Cavaliers in the Finals for 3 of the next 4 seasons till the new generation starts to make a name for themselves. They need to just quit lying.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject:

Why I think the league is FOS. They set up rules for competitive play, a few teams are able to zero in on it and be successful within those rules and then the league changes the rules to keep those teams from being successful.

WTF is ANY team supposed to do? Aren't they supposed to try to be the best they can be within the rules?

It's like Silver wants everyone to be the champion! Like little kids who play team sports where nobody ever loses.

It's a damn joke.

Why should ANY team spend the money to compete and be the best they can be, when the league could just shut them down and force them out?

Silver is a disgrace.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Why I think the league is FOS. They set up rules for competitive play, a few teams are able to zero in on it and be successful within those rules and then the league changes the rules to keep those teams from being successful.

For all the talk, the NBA really hasn't put in any rule changes that keep teams from being successful (well, it's more the NBA and players union put in rules in the CBA process).

The big change has been societal -- some teams, like us, have been affected because superstars no longer have a need to be in LA and other big cities to get publicity and endorsement deals. Lebron, for example, can make as much in Cleveland as he could in New York.

The only move that would really change things is a franchise player tag or eliminating max contracts, none of which the players union would agree to. Silevr can huff and puff, and give all the interviews he wants, but I don't really see things changing.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject:

I do recall one time, David Stern was asked what the ideal Finals matchup would be, and he said "The Lakers versus the Lakers." He was certainly thinking about it in terms of global revenue. But a quote like that (assuming he actually said it) is a tacit admission that superteams do bring home the bacon for the NBA.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
I do recall one time, David Stern was asked what the ideal Finals matchup would be, and he said "The Lakers versus the Lakers." He was certainly thinking about it in terms of global revenue. But a quote like that (assuming he actually said it) is a tacit admission that superteams do bring home the bacon for the NBA.

I wouldn't say his comment was about superteams in general, but reflected that the Lakers are an iconic franchise with a large fan base and many detractors so we always generate interest.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
composite wrote:
activeverb wrote:
The league has always had superteams --the Lakers and Celtics in the 80s, the Bulls in the 90s, the Lakers in the 2000s, the Heat. Heck, Cleveland, the current champ, is a superteam.

Certainly, there's no evidence superteams hurt attendance or ratings -- just the opposite.

Personally, I think this is all posturing for the CBA negotiations. My guess it the real agenda is to use quashing superteams as an excuse for the owners to ask for a bigger slice of the revenue pie.

Agreed. Superteams draw ratings. Stern gushed about how he wished it was Lakers vs Lakers for the NBA Finals every year. Silver is jonesing for bigger revenue somehow.

The league is sooooo full of sh*t, it is a joke.
It is obvious this is what is going on.

And if the league was being honest, they would admit that they took the Lakers from us, and gave the Cavs a free ride. Funny how the guy with the loudest voice complaining about our ability to make a great trade, ended out doing the same thing to bring a championship to Cleveland.

I want that team to rot in hell!! I will forever wish ill will upon that owner, that team, it's players and everyone who lives there that supports that team. When we get back to the top, I pray that we rub our heals on them every time we beat their dead horse!!

thank you wino!!
my sentiments exactly. av always brings up that stern comment...it was such a tongue in cheek remark.

here's my take on all that...
kobe +cp3 made gilbert go crazy like it's the end of the world.
but of course he's fine with lebron + kyrie+love+jr+etc.

and talk about getting gifted a championship, sheesh. it was like the league was dying to give the cavs the ring.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

my sentiments exactly. av always brings up that stern comment...it was such a tongue in cheek remark. .

For the record, I don't believe I've ever brought up the Stern comment, other than to respond to it in this thread. Not sure I ever heard it before today. Probably not worth mentioning but you know I have a fetish for pointing out factual inaccuracies ;}
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

my sentiments exactly. av always brings up that stern comment...it was such a tongue in cheek remark. .

For the record, I don't believe I've ever brought up the Stern comment, other than to respond to it in this thread. Not sure I ever heard it before today. Probably not worth mentioning but you know I have a fetish for pointing out factual inaccuracies ;}

sustained!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

and talk about getting gifted a championship, sheesh. it was like the league was dying to give the cavs the ring.

That really isn't true. Gilbert and the other small market teams were upset that the trade would have put the Lakers well under the luxury tax level, after negotiating a revenue sharing deal with the large markets. That was the cause of the complaints, it was financial and had much more to do with the new CBA than the make up of the Laker team on the floor. And how was Cleveland gifted anything? They made a legit FA signing to get Lebron, same as the Durant signing.
socalfan2708
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
Spanish La Liga does quite well with two teams winning, basically. Real Madrid and Barcelona.

It does well but only because soooo many people watch those two teams. Outside of Spain not many people watch teams like Villareal or Sevilla which are 2 of the other teams considered to be in the top 5 in La Liga this year.

So the question is would the NBA be okay with only the Cavs and Warriors getting good TV ratings? Hell no. And the thing about La Liga in Spain is even the worst teams routinely sell their stadiums out for games. That doesn't happen in the nba
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

That really isn't true. Gilbert and the other small market teams were upset that the trade would have put the Lakers well under the luxury tax level, after negotiating a revenue sharing deal with the large markets. That was the cause of the complaints, it was financial and had much more to do with the new CBA than the make up of the Laker team on the floor. And how was Cleveland gifted anything? They made a legit FA signing to get Lebron, same as the Durant signing.

The Paul situation was highly unusual. You'll probably never seen another situation where the league owns a team. Impossible to know whether Gilbert's comment influenced things or not. But Stern was a complete douche.

Don't see why he thinks the league had any part in Cleveland signing free agents and making trades.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/11/joe-lacob-says-other-owners-mad-about-warriors-signing-kevin-durant-sorry/

Quote:
Joe Lacob says other owners mad about Warriors signing Kevin Durant, ‘sorry’

NBA commissioner Adam Silver said it’s not good for the league that Kevin Durant went to the Warriors and made them overwhelming title favorites.

Silver might feel that way, but he was also probably speaking on behalf of about 29 of his 30 bosses – the owners of the NBA’s other teams. There’s definitely a belief in Golden State those other owners are upset.

Warriors owner Joe Lacob, via Monte Poole of CSN Bay Area:

“I know there are a lot of other owners and teams that are mad at us, at me,” Lacob said Monday. “I felt that very much when I was in Las Vegas this summer.

“Sorry, we got him. We worked hard until we got him.”

The Warriors are excellent facetious apologizers.

I suspect they’ll be pretty good at basketball, too – which should provide even more opportunities for these fantastic “apologies.”
The Brain
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Adam Silver wants an NFL type program in the NBA. Unfortunately, that will never happen. It's not because they aren't trying enough, its a talent issue. The NBA is a Star talent driven league. We all know that. Not enough talent and you do not find franchise players late in drafts regularly either.

There are 5 elite players in the league every year. Thats it. Players that actually make an MVP difference. After that its very good to good to role players to deep bench guys. That's it.

You never find a Lebron James type player in the 2nd round or a Curry. A lot has to happen to get those guys and it usually means losing a lot. Some for years.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/22/report-warriors-joe-lacob-pushed-back-against-adam-silvers-kevin-durant-issues-in-ownership-meeting/

Quote:
Report: Warriors’ Joe Lacob pushed back against Adam Silver’s Kevin Durant issues in ownership meeting

Warriors owner Joe Lacob said he felt resentment from other owners at the NBA’s Board of Governors meeting in July.

Those owners apparently weren’t the only source of it.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

When NBA commissioner Adam Silver met with his league’s Board of Governors in July, he volunteered to a room that included multiple owners that he was no fan of Kevin Durant‘s move to Golden State, fearing its implications on competitive balance. All around him, there were owners and top team executives thrilled to hear the commissioner speak out.

Golden State owner Joe Lacob felt something under seize , finally speaking up, defending the astute way with which the Warriors constructed their roster, managed their salary cap, and reminded everyone, “Hey, the Warriors didn’t win the championship. Cleveland did.” No apologies out of Lacob and no backing down.

Silver didn’t hide his competitive-balance concerns afterward, but he carefully didn’t link them so directly to Durant signing with Golden State. Instead, Silver talked about the perception of the Warriors and Cavaliers as overwhelming favorites and respecting Durant’s right to pick his team.

For that, Silver received rebukes from Durant’s mom and Jerry West.

Apparently, that wasn’t the only negative feedback Silver received.

But Silver also surely satisfied more of his bosses than the one in Golden State pushing back. It’s a numbers game, and Silver is appeasing the crowd – not the one team with Durant.

Lacob is right. Golden State exploited a fluke jump in the salary cap to have space and an appealing environment at just the right time a superstar was considering changing teams. As any team would’ve if in the same position, it signed him.

Silver can dislike the acquisition. Other owners can complain. The new Collective Bargaining Agreement can make it more difficult to assemble super teams. But the Warriors have Durant, and there’s no reason for them to be anything but defiant when criticized.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject:

The Brain wrote:
Adam Silver wants an NFL type program in the NBA. Unfortunately, that will never happen. It's not because they aren't trying enough, its a talent issue. The NBA is a Star talent driven league. We all know that. Not enough talent and you do not find franchise players late in drafts regularly either.

There are 5 elite players in the league every year. Thats it. Players that actually make an MVP difference. After that its very good to good to role players to deep bench guys. That's it.

You never find a Lebron James type player in the 2nd round or a Curry. A lot has to happen to get those guys and it usually means losing a lot. Some for years.

Don't forget the Players Union in the NBA is much stronger than the NFL. NBA has guaranteed contracts and players can decide if they want to leave if they have had it enough with an owner. One player can change the balance of power in the NBA. In the NFL the players are disposable. The owners have all the power in the NFL.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

The Paul situation was highly unusual. You'll probably never seen another situation where the league owns a team. Impossible to know whether Gilbert's comment influenced things or not. But Stern was a complete douche.

Don't see why he thinks the league had any part in Cleveland signing free agents and making trades.

As if the veto wasn't frustrating enough.

vlf's assertion that it was financial only seems reeediculous to me, but whateva.

everything about the event centers around first forming a superteam involving kobe, dwight, and cp3.
the implications of this, financial or otherwise, is the key to the whole event.
nba gifted lebron a ring because of nike.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: