The Key Ingredient / Foundation of our New Coach Has Been Revealed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: The Key Ingredient / Foundation of our New Coach Has Been Revealed

Quote:
Lakers coaches encouraging everyone, even rookie center Ivica Zubac, to 'let it fly' from 3-point range
by Mark Medina - ocregister.com Continued....

I found this interesting. In that article were various segments. In the first segment, the focus was more on Zubac shooting 3's and this comment was made:

Quote:
“We’re letting it fly, man!” Mermuys said. “We want to empower our guys. We want them to feel confident and let it fly, especially in summer league. If that thing comes to (Zubac), he has to be ready and line it up. It looks good.”

And then later in the article, the focus of the segment was on Russell and his assist to turnover rates. This comment was made:

Quote:
We want him to feel aggressive and feel empowered that he can make turnovers and make mistakes,” Mermuys said. “We’re trying to focus more on big picture and try to see him improve as far as facilitating and leading the offense.”

It is obvious that this "empowerment" is a significant theme that the coaches will be stressing during Walton's reign as head coach. For anyone that has ever played basketball can attest, confidence makes up half of your game. It is the very essence of when a player "gets hot!" It's not that their skills have suddenly improved, it's that their confidence and focus is peaked.

Everyone in the NBA has skills or else they wouldn't be in the NBA. But if the focus is on the mental part of the game, that is an area that will take those skills and make them better.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject:

From Negative Man up/you suck to Positive Empowerment/you can do it

what a different concept
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject:

They just had their foxhole permit revoked.
rockyp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject:

I hope they can "empower" Clarkson and Randle to play some D.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject:

Jesse taking shots at Scott yesterday was great.
ibitegirls
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject:

rockyp wrote:
I hope they can "empower" Clarkson and Randle to play some D.

Is that you Byron Scott?

Kudos to the coaching team for trying to implement a positive and healthy atmosphere.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject:

This is one of the biggest reasons why I love our new staff. They really encourage players to be confident in themselves and their abilities rather than restrict themselves to the roles people encourage them to play. I've heard that Luke was the impetus behind Draymond's increased offensive aggressiveness this past season. Particularly in regard to his facilitating more of GState's offense and taking more threes.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject:

I have to say, thus far the coaching staff has been impressive from instilling a positive culture, you can really see it in the way the team plays and how they communicate. I'm really happy with what I am seeing so far
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject:

Byron Scott on Don's criticism:

“First of all to Don, that’s why you not coaching. Let’s put it that way,” Scott said following Monday’s practice at the Lakers’ facility in El Segundo. “You don’t let a guy go out there and just almost embarrass himself or kill himself by playing 35 minutes and creating 10, 12, 15 turnovers. The one thing it can do is self-destruct him as an individual. So what I try to do as far as teaching him and also protect him from making mistakes like that, and from getting ridiculed after a game like that.”

Don nailed it in his response:

“You’re going to have to live with some mistakes with a rookie, especially a point guard. But to me, the more you just let him go, the more he develop. Instead of Byron, later on in his comments saying how he needs to protect him because he could self-destruct. No no no. D’Angelo’s a big boy. He’s making five million bucks a year to play basketball. He’s going to be fine. If he has a nine-turnover game he’s not going to be on the psychiatrist’s couch the next morning. He’ll be fine, he’ll come back and play.”
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:

I highly doubt it was intentional, but it was refreshing how everything he said was the opposite of any and every response Byron would have given. I love Jesse. He's a promising young coach. I think he'll end up being our version of Golden State's Luke Walton on this staff. Hopefully we can keep him for more than two years before opposing teams take notice and poach him.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:

I highly doubt it was intentional, but it was refreshing how everything he said was the opposite of any and every response Byron would have given. I love Jesse. He's a promising young coach. I think he'll end up being our version of Golden State's Luke Walton on this staff. Hopefully we can keep him for more than two years before opposing teams take notice and poach him.

I doubt it was intentional too, but it was still great
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject:

So glad that Byron is gone. It was so hard to watch the team when he was coaching.

Mermuys is my favorite! So much energy and positivity. I can't wait to see how the whole team responds to the new regime.

Great hire by the FO. This staff looks amazing!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject:

The key ingredient: the head coach isn't Byron Scott
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject:

"The new coaching staff should man up and show these rooks who's boss."-- BS
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Full on experimentation mode. Why not. We got a couple of years to burn.
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject:

That's great! Creating a positive atmosphere!
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject:

It's good that the new coaching regime is all positive & all, but all you guys talking all that feel-good-in-your-tummy positive crap will turn on that approach quicker than lightning if we're losing.

At the end of the day, it takes the carrot & the stick in training and in life in general, I think. B Scott's gone. But I believe that his stick-heavy approach is what motivated Russell, Clarkson, Randle & Nance, Jr to all come back hard this year: sometimes it's good to be doubted & to have some adversity to power through. Kobe once said he trained like a maniac all summer after his rookie year to show Del Harris he made a mistake in benching him. Doesn't mean Del Harris made a mistake. Same with Scott.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:
It's good that the new coaching regime is all positive & all, but all you guys talking all that feel-good-in-your-tummy positive crap will turn on that approach quicker than lightning if we're losing.

At the end of the day, it takes the carrot & the stick in training and in life in general, I think. B Scott's gone. But I believe that his stick-heavy approach is what motivated Russell, Clarkson, Randle & Nance, Jr to all come back hard this year: sometimes it's good to be doubted & to have some adversity to power through. Kobe once said he trained like a maniac all summer after his rookie year to show Del Harris he made a mistake in benching him. Doesn't mean Del Harris made a mistake. Same with Scott.

I guess you could make the argument that bad coaching can be so bad that it motivates the player once he leaves it, but i don't think that makes it good coaching.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject:

Why did everyone hate D'Antoni for encouraging this, yet applauds when Luke does it?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Why did everyone hate D'Antoni for encouraging this, yet applauds when Luke does it?

Because he was doing it to Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:

There are diametrically opposed ways to motivate players. What Byron did was teach them bad habits they'll have to unlearn next season. It's not about working hard so much as it's about working smart. You bring up Kobe, but he worked incredibly hard to get some of his shots.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Because he was doing it to Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol.

Which is not different at all. What is different is the fans are not butt hurt that Phil wasn't hired.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I think to an extent people are more accepting of the idea in 2016 than in 2013.

There's also a fair argument that there's a difference between developing players to extend to the 3 point line, and having known commodities sitting behind the 3 point line because you couldn't figure out how to use them better.

There is some double standard involved, but not that much IMO.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Don't worry, ppl will be calling for Luke's head about 20 games into the season.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Don't worry, ppl will be calling for Luke's head about 20 games into the season.

No they won't. He'll be making adjustments as the season progresses.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: