The real '07 plan and the reason behind it.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: The real '07 plan and the reason behind it.

I know we talked about this yesterday when II Cleva came upon huge news that was previously just speculation. But IMO it's just way too important to ignore. KG can opt out after next year.
You know Laker brass knew about this. KG hates McHale (even moreso after a flareup last month) and he wants to win before he dies. Minny will never be good enough with him to ever be any kind of contender. And he already has 2 homes in Malibu. (Can you say compound?)

If he tells Minny that he's opting out, they will either trade him this summer or risk losing him for nothing.

No other team can match salaries ($20 mil.) in a KG trade and still be talented enough to contend even with KG. Therefore nobody else will want to give up the franchise solely to rent him for 1 year.

The Lakers can/will offer Lamar/Kwame and maybe a draft pick for KG this summer and he will make sure it happens.

Our roster next year:
Mihm/Bynum
KG/Cook/Turiaf
Green/Walton
Kobe/McKie
Smush/Sasha/Wafer

Wait, it gets better.

After next year, KG will opt out and take a pay cut to about $13 million. (At this point he will be worth hundreds of millions of dollars)
Because Grant, Sasha, Cook, McKie, and Walton's contract expires we will still have a max slot to sign FA's.
If LBJ or Bosh do decide to opt out, it will be for this opportunity.
If they don't then we still sign quality FA's to blend in w/ our incredible foundation.

Possible 2007-08 lineup:

Bynum
KG/Turiaf
LBJ or Bosh/Green
Kobe/Wafer
Whoever

Locked up for several years this team will dominate and win multiple titles barring a team plane crash.
Jerry Buss will be completely vindicated.
Phil will hold the record for most titles.
Kobe will end up with at least 8 titles after winning this year's MVP.

Kobe will eventually take a pay cut to make sure that Bynum can be kept at max $.
The Lakers will once again truly become SHOWTIME if not undisputed GOAT and will be the biggest deal in the entertainment capitol of the world.
The team will be worth $1 billion (at least), courtside seats will go for $5,000 per game (at least).
Shat will never show his 800 lb. physique in public again by attempting to fake his own death (there will be Elvis/Bigfoot type sightings that can't be confirmed).
And we will all die happy people knowing that all is well in Lakerland at least until Andrew Bynum retires in 2025 w/ 6 mvp's (same as Kareem) and 12 titles (one more than Russell), while Chick laughs from heaven.

Now don't you feel a whole lot better?
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I'm almost positive that ESPN is wrong about the '07 Opt-Out. I'm pretty sure it's an 08' ETO. Even if it is an '07 opt-out, it's less likely that we get an LBJ or BOSH with Kobe and KG. It simply CAN NOT, and WILL NOT, happen.

The more likely scenario, should we obtain KG losing LO in the process, is that he takes the paycut to 13 million and we sign a guy like Hinrich or Bibby.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
senator kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:

I brought up KG's ETO about a month ago in that long KG thread, guess no one knew what it meant.

I know to most of the fans here this is too good to be true, but really, who knows what can happen.

Sky confirmed KG's ETO is in the summer 07.
dvjs
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

KG and Nocioni become Lakers in the summer of 2007.

F- Kevin Garnett
F- Lamar Odom
C- Andrew Bynum
G- Kobe Bryant
G- Smush Parker

6th- Andres Nocioni
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Ok, I'm almost positive that ESPN is wrong about the '07 Opt-Out. I'm pretty sure it's an 08' ETO. Even if it is an '07 opt-out, it's less likely that we get an LBJ or BOSH with Kobe and KG. It simply CAN NOT, and WILL NOT, happen.

The more likely scenario, should we obtain KG losing LO in the process, is that he takes the paycut to 13 million and we sign a guy like Hinrich or Bibby.

Fine with me... I'd rather use the max slot to sign a solid point guard AND keep Mihm as a backup center. SF is the easiest position in the league to fill and KG could easily play spot minutes there.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:

dvjs wrote:

F- Kevin Garnett
F- Lamar Odom
C- Andrew Bynum
G- Kobe Bryant
G- Smush Parker

6th- Andres Nocioni

Even bringing KG aboard in that scenario, we'd still have enough scratch
to sign a solid starting PG. You honestly think Smush stays as our starter
when guys like Bibby are available for $7-8M? I doubt it.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject:

dvjs wrote:

F- Kevin Garnett
F- Lamar Odom
C- Andrew Bynum
G- Kobe Bryant
G- Smush Parker

6th- Andres Nocioni

Hopefully, we use Odom to get KG here this summer. We contend for a title next year and KG gets another year of $20 mil. Odom's nice but I'd much rather a better fit for the kind of $ he makes. Either way it's pretty nice though.

A lineup next year of:
Mihm/Bynum
KG/Cook/Turiaf
Walton/Green
Kobe/Wafer
Smush/Sasha/Mckie
after 2 years of triangle under their belts is as good as anybody IMO.
El Ocho
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject:

wow, the season cant be going this bad. please, i have a bad heart.
senator kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:

El Ocho wrote:

Unfortunately it is this bad. And it's only going to get worse before it get's better.

Sorry bout the bad heart.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:

senator kobe wrote:
El Ocho wrote:

Unfortunately it is this bad. And it's only going to get worse before it get's better.

Sorry bout the bad heart.

This year's just gravy anyway. An extended training camp to acclimate the team in the triangle. Therefore, when KG comes along, he's the only novice playing w/ a team of system savvy players. PF is the easiest triangle position to learn.
hahahahahahahahahahha
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:

The ETO is in '08 according to Larry Coon. His info is usually better than the media, and in this case the source of it is very good. ESPN is wrong.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Well, I just saw Emplay post elsewhere that KG's opt out is in 2008. Kind of kills this thread, doesn't it.

I have very little faith that the 07/08 plan will ever be worth waiting for. Very little.

Jake Speed, 1986
senator kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:

This thread will here on be known as my happy place.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The real '07 plan and the reason behind it.

Smel Counts wrote:
I know we talked about this yesterday when II Cleva came upon huge news that was previously just speculation. But IMO it's just way too important to ignore. KG can opt out after next year.
You know Laker brass knew about this. KG hates McHale (even moreso after a flareup last month) and he wants to win before he dies. Minny will never be good enough with him to ever be any kind of contender. And he already has 2 homes in Malibu. (Can you say compound?)

If he tells Minny that he's opting out, they will either trade him this summer or risk losing him for nothing.

No other team can match salaries ($20 mil.) in a KG trade and still be talented enough to contend even with KG. Therefore nobody else will want to give up the franchise solely to rent him for 1 year.

The Lakers can/will offer Lamar/Kwame and maybe a draft pick for KG this summer and he will make sure it happens.

Our roster next year:
Mihm/Bynum
KG/Cook/Turiaf
Green/Walton
Kobe/McKie
Smush/Sasha/Wafer

Wait, it gets better.

After next year, KG will opt out and take a pay cut to about $13 million. (At this point he will be worth hundreds of millions of dollars)
Because Grant, Sasha, Cook, McKie, and Walton's contract expires we will still have a max slot to sign FA's.
If LBJ or Bosh do decide to opt out, it will be for this opportunity.
If they don't then we still sign quality FA's to blend in w/ our incredible foundation.

Possible 2007-08 lineup:

Bynum
KG/Turiaf
LBJ or Bosh/Green
Kobe/Wafer
Whoever

Locked up for several years this team will dominate and win multiple titles barring a team plane crash.
Jerry Buss will be completely vindicated.
Phil will hold the record for most titles.
Kobe will end up with at least 8 titles after winning this year's MVP.

Kobe will eventually take a pay cut to make sure that Bynum can be kept at max $.
The Lakers will once again truly become SHOWTIME if not undisputed GOAT and will be the biggest deal in the entertainment capitol of the world.
The team will be worth $1 billion (at least), courtside seats will go for $5,000 per game (at least).
Shat will never show his 800 lb. physique in public again by attempting to fake his own death (there will be Elvis/Bigfoot type sightings that can't be confirmed).
And we will all die happy people knowing that all is well in Lakerland at least until Andrew Bynum retires in 2025 w/ 6 mvp's (same as Kareem) and 12 titles (one more than Russell), while Chick laughs from heaven.

Now don't you feel a whole lot better?

You forgot to add one thing to this scenario... that I win the lottery.

msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject:

oy not again
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Damn. Well, it was nice while it lasted.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Smel Counts wrote:
Damn. Well, it was nice while it lasted.

Sorry 'bout that. Maybe we should come up with a KG FAQ that Larry could put together.
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject:

So then it seems I'm the only one who thinks the "real" '07 plan is a plan by Mitch to avoid being fired for another couple years by claiming to have a plan?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The real '07 plan and the reason behind it.

Smel Counts wrote:

Ummm....let's see....Golden State, easy. They can afford to give up some combination of Murphy, Dunleavy, Pietrus, Biedrins, Diogu, Ellis, and Taft. They could even throw Jefferson in, keep Pietrus and Baron as the backcourt. Any combination of those would be better than Odom/Kwame. Baron/KG/Jefferson contends.

Who else...Chicago can offer Gordon, Deng, Chandler as the centerpiece of a package. Thomas comes off the books this season, as do a couple others, so they have a core of Hinrich/Nocioni/KG and money to shop. If they do it deadline, they can send Thomas, Gordon, Deng. Minny gets cap room in the summer and two young prospects. Chicago has Kg/Chanlder up front, Duhon/Hinrich in the back court, Nocioni and Songalia still, add a piece with the MLE in the summer and Chicago is going ECF.

New Jersey can send Jefferson, Collins, and filler. KG/Kidd/Carter/Kristic is also in a position to compete for the ECF.

Bucks can send Bogut, Mags, Simmons and change. Cleveland can send Z and Hughes and Varejao. Clippers can send a package including Maggette and Livingston--they'll go to the finals with Brand, KG, Mobley and Cassell. Indiana can offer JO for KG straight up. The Heat, if they were smart, could offer Shaq straight up. Denver some combination of Nene, Watson, KMart, and Miller. KG/Melo/Camby frontline? It's over.

I could go on. Obviously there are other teams that can offer packages better than Odom plus crap, still have the pieces to contend (especially in the East) and where KG will thus be happy to go. We are deluding ourselves if we don't think Mullin's got the chips to do it if McHale is willing to go West Coast. On the East, there's some slightly less desirable deals (though I think Chicago could give them some nice pieces), weighed against him staying in the West, Minny will take an Eastern deal. And if it takes less to get KG in the East, that team will still have the pieces to contend with KG.

Oh yeah, lets also not forget....New York can trade Penny and Rose and take KG and most of the bad contracts off of Minny's hands. Throw in Frye and a couple of the other youngins from the Knicks and Minny starts totally fresh. Way under the cap, no bad contracts, a few young players, and ready to rebuild. Marbury, Crawford,Q, KG, Curry is a contending team in the East.

So KG is still as much pipe as always. Minny isn't going to do us any favors; they can get a better deal and send KG somewhere else he'll be just as happy as L.A.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:

If either of these scenarios occur that's fantastic.

C Mihm
PF KG
SF who cares
SG Kobe
PG who cares (Hinrich if possible)

That's a good team.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject:

senator kobe wrote:
This thread will here on be known as my happy place.

May I join you?
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject:

The only people who know what the "o7 plan " is about are Jimmy,Jerry and Mitch. At least i hope they know
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject:

So much for that...
I took it seriously for a moment there too.
kells1220
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Why do they have to wait for 2007. The Lakers could've been making moves. I think this plan is just an excuse.
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject:

kells1220 wrote:
Why do they have to wait for 2007. The Lakers could've been making moves. I think this plan is just an excuse.

Believe it or not, we actually have Laker fans that claim Mitch Kupchak knows exactly what he's doing with the 2007 plan. That he was smart to be "patient" and give out MLE contracts to Devean George, Vlade Divac, and Aaron McKie.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: