Homegrown vs Acquired Talent and Sustainability
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Homegrown vs Acquired Talent and Sustainability

Looking at the way the league is set up now. Do you think it is possible that teams like GSW or the Cavs can sustain their league status once their current core begins to faulter?

Or is it MORE likely that teams are going to come and go, more than they did in the past?

The key seems to me is to be able to attract the top talent when your current top talent has a few years left in the tank, so that your next teir of top talent is around 5-6 years behind them.

Will teams always have to go through a rebuilding phase in order to build with homegrown talent or is it possible to be in a constant trading phase that continues to replenish your talent at a sustainable rate that allow you to win championships?
Jbar805
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject:

I think it comes down to growing your own superstar then that magnetizes the team for other star players.

The team brand doesn't do ish for you anymore if you don't have a superstar people want to play with. Hence, why we couldn't sign or get a meeting with KD. Or why Aldridge didn't sign with us last season.

Before Curry and Thompson, who the hell wanted to play in Golden State? Now everyone wants to play there. Same thing goes for Cleveland.

Once Russell or Ingram become something special, the superstars will come. Till then, don't expect many people running to the Lakers.

Aside from Westbrook, I think he has that Killer mentality where he thinks he can win one by himself every year. I think he may want to come to LA next offseason if the means are there.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that a team like the Spurs have been steadily successful all these years because they have drafted and kept their superstars.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:

The GSW team is young, but those extended seasons will take a toll. In particular I'm not sure how Curry will hold up over time. I'll give them another 3-4 years to dominate, and at that point they'll really wear down due to age and fatigue. In terms of Lakers team planning, that the time horizon should be 3 years for a deep playoff, championship contending team.

The free agents we've signed might have some trade value as expiring contracts around that time frame, but the front office shouldn't bank on it. My gut feel is that the financial fortunes of the league have improved even for the crappy teams, which means that there's less value placed on expiring contracts.

In that three horizon, the priority should be to develop our young talent, and to set a modern system of basketball in place. We've shot ourselves in the foot by being wildly inconsistent in terms of the offense due to the seemingly capricious choice of head coaches. In other words, even if Luke leaves or is fired, you need to have a plan in place if you really intend to run a more modern, open system.

Signing free agents of course is also important. We might not be good enough to sign Westbrook, but we should look for that next free agent who will be still at peak or near-peak in 3 to 4 seasons.

In terms of the draft, we'll miss out on some first round talent due to the Nash and Dwight trades. However I think what we should be prioritizing is acquiring players who can play 3 and D. Scout those elite defenders who can be developed into weak-side 3 point shooters. Those players are available in the second round, and are sometimes available as undrafted free agents.

Last edited by angrypuppy on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

Pretty obvious you win with homegrown talent. Even in previous generations, the Lakers and Celtics of the 80's, the Bulls of the 90's, early Spurs and the teams dominating today drafted key components, if not generational talent through the lottery. All those teams mentioned acquired one or multiple all-star players through the draft. Then the free agents or players via trade came to compliment the players to put the team over the top.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

Parity and "sharing" success across the league has long been the aim of the NBA front office. I expect that continue.
Chadley
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject:

I don't like when star players run to other teams, it really shows a mentality of wanting to take the easy way out. Kobe and Dirk and Duncan are the only loyal players. Well, Dirk said he didn't want to play on a rebuilding team, which isn't loyal. And Duncan has always had a great team. Kobe was truly loyal. The others, only semi-loyal.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

I prefer homegrown talent.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject:

Contending teams in this era are homegrown and then augmented by key free agents.

It's not like superstars emerge out of nowhere as some would seem to suggest here.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:
Me too. Magic, Worthy, and Kobe. All home grown talent. Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen. All home grown talent. Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Ginobli, Parker. All home grown talent. Bird, Mchale, the chief. All homegrown talent. Curry, Klay, Draymond. All homegrown talent. Kyrie, Lebron, Thompson. All homegrown talent.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

I see one team out there going the "we will not tank and rebuild through free agency" route, and that is Dallas. And they have become a first round playoff exit team. While the playoffs are nice, they have no hope of challenging for the Finals. That is not the way we are going, thank goodness. Signing top FAs is difficult, we haven't done so in 20 years. Granted we didn't have the cap space in a lot of those, but when we have, our team wasn't good enough to attract star attention.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
Me too. Magic, Worthy, and Kobe. All home grown talent. Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen. All home grown talent. Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Ginobli, Parker. All home grown talent. Bird, Mchale, the chief. All homegrown talent. Curry, Klay, Draymond. All homegrown talent. Kyrie, Lebron, Thompson. All homegrown talent.

Exactly
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

Yeah, you need the homegrown talent. Lebron didn't just want to return to his roots in Ohio, that's a myth fanned by PR. Cleveland had a stockpile of young talent, which probably looked inviting when he looked at age and mileage of the Miami roster. We have some young talent, but it needs to be developed. Having Byron didn't help.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:

Parish was traded but yeah, I get your sentiment.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Yeah, you need the homegrown talent. Lebron didn't just want to return to his roots in Ohio, that's a myth fanned by PR. Cleveland had a stockpile of young talent, which probably looked inviting when he looked at age and mileage of the Miami roster. We have some young talent, but it needs to be developed. Having Byron didn't help.
Yes sir.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Development, no. Acquisition, yes.

Can't wait to see what Luke and his staff can do.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:

Parish was traded but yeah, I get your sentiment.
My bad. You're right. I always viewed him being only a Celtic.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject:

I know I'm gonna be flamed for this but I think Kobe would have difficulty winning a ring without Shaq and Gasol, both of whom were acquired pieces.

FWIW, Magic never won without Kareem.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
I know I'm gonna be flamed for this but I think Kobe would have difficulty winning a ring without Shaq and Gasol, both of whom were acquired pieces.

No one is saying you don't need to acquire FA's or make trades.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:

Well ya, of course But....

1 Shaq was a free agent acquisition ( Which FA is needed)

2 Pau was traded for Kwame Brown and J-Critt and a unproven Marc Gasol

Point being I'd rather not trade homegrown players for stars.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:

same thing can be said about every superstar
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

Thread title could have fooled me.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

The Lakers would have won 0 titles if they hadn't acquired players.

What team has won a title without the benefit of free agents or trades?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:

Quote:
Pretty obvious you win with homegrown talent. Even in previous generations, the Lakers and Celtics of the 80's, the Bulls of the 90's, early Spurs and the teams dominating today drafted key components, if not generational talent through the lottery. All those teams mentioned acquired one or multiple all-star players through the draft. Then the free agents or players via trade came to compliment the players to put the team over the top.

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:

Exactly

If you look over the past 20 years teams have generally acquired their top players through a combination of drafting, trades and free agency.

The Showtime Lakers got Kareem through a trade; the Celtics traded for Parish (he started his career in Golden State).

The Spurs and the Warriors are the only ring team in the past 15 years who didn't acquire one of its two top players through free agency or trades.

Homegrown talent is better simply because you can keep them longer; the downside is drafting is less predictable than trades or free agency. We knew Shaq was a superstar when we signed him as a free agency; we didn't know what Kobe would become.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

the teams with the longest championship windows are generally homegrown talent.

Besides, it's a whole lot of fun to watch your young kids take over the league which is exactly what is happening now. As Dal, Houston, OKC, Miami, etc all start to fall off, teams like Lakers, Minny, Philly, Orlando, etc are all on the come up
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: