Homegrown vs Acquired Talent and Sustainability
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

This day and age, having homegrown talent is a must. Home runs are needed in the draft and at least 2-3 parts of.your core need to be young players who can seriously contribute. Then once you do that you can bring in a stud free agent or two, or three to take you to the promised land. Big two and three do t exist anymore you need at least 4 serious ballers if you want to get to the finals now.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
I know I'm gonna be flamed for this but I think Kobe would have difficulty winning a ring without Shaq and Gasol, both of whom were acquired pieces.

FWIW, Magic never won without Kareem.
No one is saying you don't need to acquire FA's or make trades.

Thread title could have fooled me.

The Lakers would have won 0 titles if they hadn't acquired players.

What team has won a title without the benefit of free agents or trades?

There will be no team in existence that can be assembled without free agents or acquired through trades let alone win a title, no need to state the obvious.

Who I mentioned were "franchise players" not to be compared to "lesser" type of deals.

OKC had tremendous homegrown talent, never won anything and now near rebuild.

It has to have a mixture of both homegrown plus big time acquisitions to win.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Homegrown vs Acquired Talent and Sustainability

Wino wrote:
Looking at the way the league is set up now. Do you think it is possible that teams like GSW or the Cavs can sustain their league status once their current core begins to faulter?

Or is it MORE likely that teams are going to come and go, more than they did in the past?

The key seems to me is to be able to attract the top talent when your current top talent has a few years left in the tank, so that your next teir of top talent is around 5-6 years behind them.

Will teams always have to go through a rebuilding phase in order to build with homegrown talent or is it possible to be in a constant trading phase that continues to replenish your talent at a sustainable rate that allow you to win championships?

The Spurs are a unique case of a team that has been so successful drafting that they continued their run for a long time.

Other than them, I don't think any team has been able to quickly rebound after its top guys faded. (The Lakers rebounded after our threepeat rapidly, but we started with a GOAT level player in Kobe; the Heat rebuilt in 7 years but they had Wade, one of the top shooting guards ever).

But, sure, if you draft great players and keep them, then your run can inherently be longer simply because you can have those guys on your team longer than the ones you trade for or get through free agency.

In fact, I'd say the Lakers success has been largely due to our desirability for free agents. That gave us a huge advantage in attracting foundational players like Kareem and Shaq.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
I know I'm gonna be flamed for this but I think Kobe would have difficulty winning a ring without Shaq and Gasol, both of whom were acquired pieces.

FWIW, Magic never won without Kareem.
No one is saying you don't need to acquire FA's or make trades.

Thread title could have fooled me.

The Lakers would have won 0 titles if they hadn't acquired players.

What team has won a title without the benefit of free agents or trades?

There will be no team in existence that can be assembled without free agents or acquired through trades let alone win a title, no need to state the obvious.

Who I mentioned were "franchise players" not to be compared to "lesser" type of deals.

OKC had tremendous homegrown talent, never won anything and now near rebuild.

It has to have a mixture of both homegrown plus big time acquisitions to win.

Oh I agree, I thought you were somehow stating that a team had to be pure homegrown. No championship team is ever really homegrown, by the strictest definition. What we need to differentiate is "homegrown" versus development.

The Lakers acquired Kobe via trade, using homegrown talent.

The Celtics acquire Bill Russell via trade, using homegrown talent.

The common denominator behind success isn't the strictest definition of homegrown, but rather the ability to develop players. If you develop your talent, they can either help you win directly, or indirectly, through your ability to use them as trade assets.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
The GSW team is young, but those extended seasons will take a toll. In particular I'm not sure how Curry will hold up over time. I'll give them another 3-4 years to dominate, and at that point they'll really wear down due to age and fatigue. In terms of Lakers team planning, that the time horizon should be 3 years for a deep playoff, championship contending team.

The free agents we've signed might have some trade value as expiring contracts around that time frame, but the front office shouldn't bank on it. My gut feel is that the financial fortunes of the league have improved even for the crappy teams, which means that there's less value placed on expiring contracts.

In that three horizon, the priority should be to develop our young talent, and to set a modern system of basketball in place. We've shot ourselves in the foot by being wildly inconsistent in terms of the offense due to the seemingly capricious choice of head coaches. In other words, even if Luke leaves or is fired, you need to have a plan in place if you really intend to run a more modern, open system.

Signing free agents of course is also important. We might not be good enough to sign Westbrook, but we should look for that next free agent who will be still at peak or near-peak in 3 to 4 seasons.

In terms of the draft, we'll miss out on some first round talent due to the Nash and Dwight trades. However I think what we should be prioritizing is acquiring players who can play 3 and D. Scout those elite defenders who can be developed into weak-side 3 point shooters. Those players are available in the second round, and are sometimes available as undrafted free agents.

The downside with playing dray green as small ball center s lot is he will wear down over time doing so. I see out of that group that he's the most susceptible to a dramatic decline.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
the teams with the longest championship windows are generally homegrown talent.

Besides, it's a whole lot of fun to watch your young kids take over the league which is exactly what is happening now. As Dal, Houston, OKC, Miami, etc all start to fall off, teams like Lakers, Minny, Philly, Orlando, etc are all on the come up

It' really a fun process watching them grow like we did Kobe or with the Doyers with Corey Seager. He's already an all-star and could be NL ROY.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Unless you have a situation where multiple top tier guys agree to take less money to join forces in one place (Miami), the economics of the league dictate that you need the majority of your core to be homegrown talent.

That is going to be especially important with this enormous cap spike. The cost-control on Randle, Clarkson (even after the new deal), Russell, Ingram, & Nance is an enormous advantage. This is what they'll be paid after Ingram signs for (presumably) 120% of the rookie scale.

Think about that in the context of what those players can become during that time, and what players are getting on the open market. That's why while I didn't like the Mozgov signing, it's not a death knell, not even close. We have so much in the way of cost-controlled talent that we're still in extraordinary shape.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject:

You absolutely must have homegrown talent in today's NBA to succeed.

The absolute elite FA's leave for non-monetary reasons only. They're getting their max contract so they'll need something non-monetary. The top reason is higher chance of winning. Look at Lebron I, KD and LaMarcus for instance. And to improve your chances of winning, you need to join a winning team. which means you need existing talent -- presumably homegrown talent.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject:

You've needed homegrown talent to win in the NBA for as long as most people can remember.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Franchise players acquired leading to championship/s:

2016 Miami Heat Love, LBJ
2015 Golden State Warriors IGGY
2014 San Antonio Spurs
2013 Miami Heat LBJ,BOSH
2012 Miami Heat LBJ,BOSH
2011 Dallas Mavericks KIDD
2010 Los Angeles Lakers PAU
2009 Los Angeles Lakers PAU
2008 Boston Celtics KG, ALLEN
2007 San Antonio Spurs
2006 Miami Heat SHAQ
2005 San Antonio Spurs
2004 Detroit Pistons RASHEED
2003 San Antonio Spurs
2002 Los Angeles Lakers SHAQ
2001 Los Angeles Lakers SHAQ
2000 Los Angeles Lakers SHAQ
1999 San Antonio Spurs
1998 Chicago Bulls
1997 Chicago Bulls
1996 Chicago Bulls
1995 Houston Rockets DREXLER
1994 Houston Rockets THORPE
1993 Chicago Bulls
1992 Chicago Bulls
1991 Chicago Bulls
1990 Detroit Pistons AGUIRRE
1989 Detroit Pistons AGUIRRE
1988 Los Angeles Lakers KAREEM
1987 Los Angeles Lakers KAREEM
1986 Boston Celtics PARISH
1985 Los Angeles Lakers KAREEM
1984 Boston Celtics PARISH
1983 Philadelphia 76ers MOSES
1982 Los Angeles Lakers KAREEM
1981 Boston Celtics PARISH
1980 Los Angeles Lakers KAREEM
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject:

We're gonna need 1-2 bonafied stars from homegrown talent but we will need to at some point add more star level pieces via trade or free agency to get back to championship form. I believe Ingram and Russell can be our cornerstones.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Unless you have a situation where multiple top tier guys agree to take less money to join forces in one place (Miami), the economics of the league dictate that you need the majority of your core to be homegrown talent.

That is going to be especially important with this enormous cap spike. The cost-control on Randle, Clarkson (even after the new deal), Russell, Ingram, & Nance is an enormous advantage. This is what they'll be paid after Ingram signs for (presumably) 120% of the rookie scale.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h231/massinfusion/Screen%20Shot%202016-07-14%20at%201.18.46%20PM_zpsvpvnivb4.png

Think about that in the context of what those players can become during that time, and what players are getting on the open market. That's why while I didn't like the Mozgov signing, it's not a death knell, not even close. We have so much in the way of cost-controlled talent that we're still in extraordinary shape.

even lou will is on an extraordinary deal for the next 2 seasons.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h231/massinfusion/Screen%20Shot%202016-07-14%20at%201.18.46%20PM_zpsvpvnivb4.png

even lou will is on an extraordinary deal for the next 2 seasons.

Normally, I'm not a big fan of restricted free agency, because it could limit players from going to a team or system they might actually enjoy playing for. For example, Eric Gorden didn't want to resign with the Pelicans/Hornets. He signed an offer sheet with Phoenix, and publicly stated that's where he wanted to play. New Orleans matched him anyways, end of story. I know they could sign a one year tender, but then they'll have to play with all the issues associate with that.

But I can't argue with restricted FA when potentially we can have Russell, Ingram, and Nance on our team for the next 7-8 years. And I'm very excited about that. If from our core we can develop one superstar, one star, and one ultimate roll player (i.e. Rodman, Horry) we are golden. We might not have to even worry about attracting big stars and just sign the appropriate supporting cast to help us win a championship.

So to answer the OP's question, organic, homegrown all the way.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:

2014 San Antonio Spurs
2013 Miami Heat LBJ,BOSH
2012 Miami Heat LBJ,BOSH
2007 San Antonio Spurs
2006 Miami Heat SHAQ
2005 San Antonio Spurs
2003 San Antonio Spurs
1999 San Antonio Spurs
1998 Chicago Bulls
1997 Chicago Bulls
1996 Chicago Bulls
1993 Chicago Bulls
1992 Chicago Bulls
1991 Chicago Bulls
All teams mentioned had allstar/generational homegrown talent. I think you're missing the point.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
We're gonna need 1-2 bonafied stars from homegrown talent but we will need to at some point add more star level pieces via trade or free agency to get back to championship form. I believe Ingram and Russell can be our cornerstones.
Gets it.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

2014 San Antonio Spurs
2013 Miami Heat LBJ,BOSH
2012 Miami Heat LBJ,BOSH
2007 San Antonio Spurs
2006 Miami Heat SHAQ
2005 San Antonio Spurs
2003 San Antonio Spurs
1999 San Antonio Spurs
1998 Chicago Bulls
1997 Chicago Bulls
1996 Chicago Bulls
1993 Chicago Bulls
1992 Chicago Bulls
1991 Chicago Bulls
All teams mentioned had allstar/generational homegrown talent. I think you're missing the point.

Yet, they didn't rest on their laurels.

Honestly the point I am missing is personally vague to begin with that's why I'm stating my own point that we cannot win with hombrew alone we have to be always in the hunt for that proverbial big fish who is willing to swim in our lakes.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

It's gonna be hard to keep the kids. So, who do you think we'll be the odd man out
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

It's gonna be hard to keep the kids. So, who do you think we'll be the odd man out

whoever doesnt move the ball. they dont want iso play.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

2014 San Antonio Spurs
2013 Miami Heat LBJ,BOSH
2012 Miami Heat LBJ,BOSH
2007 San Antonio Spurs
2006 Miami Heat SHAQ
2005 San Antonio Spurs
2003 San Antonio Spurs
1999 San Antonio Spurs
1998 Chicago Bulls
1997 Chicago Bulls
1996 Chicago Bulls
1993 Chicago Bulls
1992 Chicago Bulls
1991 Chicago Bulls

Honestly the point I am missing is personally vague to begin with that's why I'm stating my own point that we cannot win with hombrew alone we have to be always in the hunt for that proverbial big fish who is willing to swim in our lakes.
Agreed.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

2014 San Antonio Spurs
2013 Miami Heat LBJ,BOSH
2012 Miami Heat LBJ,BOSH
2007 San Antonio Spurs
2006 Miami Heat SHAQ
2005 San Antonio Spurs
2003 San Antonio Spurs
1999 San Antonio Spurs
1998 Chicago Bulls
1997 Chicago Bulls
1996 Chicago Bulls

1993 Chicago Bulls
1992 Chicago Bulls
1991 Chicago Bulls

Agreed, however, two issues with your list. 2016 should be Cleveland. With the 1995-1998 Bulls, you completely miss Rodman who was absolutely incredible and clearly a HOF talent. Bulls don't win any of those three without his all-time great defense and rebounding. Remember that Horace Grant was a key (homegrown) piece in the first three-peat and losing Horace was a big reason why the Bulls lost to the Magic in 1995. In the 1995 off-season, the Bulls bring in Rodman who was honestly an upgrade over Horace.
KobeDGreatesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Sorry to break it to you fellas but the league is rigged. So when it's our turn to win, it'll happen.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

2014 San Antonio Spurs
2013 Miami Heat LBJ,BOSH
2012 Miami Heat LBJ,BOSH
2007 San Antonio Spurs
2006 Miami Heat SHAQ
2005 San Antonio Spurs
2003 San Antonio Spurs
1999 San Antonio Spurs
1998 Chicago Bulls
1997 Chicago Bulls
1996 Chicago Bulls
1993 Chicago Bulls
1992 Chicago Bulls
1991 Chicago Bulls

See that's the thing with hero ball.

Sometimes, the right play is a pass to the open man in the corner and not the contorted falling out of bounds, one-armed scoop from 3pt range hero shot.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject:

KobeDGreatesss wrote:
Sorry to break it to you fellas but the league is rigged. So when it's our turn to win, it'll happen.

Illuminati!
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject:

likelijood of getting a player that isn't homegrown before his first max extension is almost zero. You need homegrown talent to peak at the same time as when you have cap space.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject:

The Silver/Stern mass hypnosis is wearing off. You guys are starting to remember the truth now. No wonder you're pushing so hard to trade for Westbrook. The reality that we've been living under has been false. Nobody home grows super stars, they were traded for.

Kobe never played 20 years with the Lakers. He honed his skills 10 yrs in with the Hornets, then we swooped in and traded for him in his prime. The Warriors traded for Steph Curry and Klay who came from OKC. I forgot the players involved, but that's how they got them. When Durant was hitting his stride, OKC swooped in and traded future stars to the Bulls for Kevin Durant. Meanwhile, Westbrook was just tearing it up for the Utah Jazz and Presti, the awesome GM that he was, swooped in and traded for him as well.

It's all coming back to me now. We can no longer believe in home-growns. We must deal all our youth for Westbrook now!!! You guys have convinced me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: