Get A Grip People.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject:

vic out here like
KB824MJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject:

I think people that think this offense will run better with our real guys out there are going to be disappointed. It will take a while to run the full offense. The offense won't be ready by training camp or regular season. I think it may take till all star break to get the offense running. So yes we all do need to get a grip. I hope management does not go for a trade cause of this game. Would be dumb.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject:

KB824MJ wrote:
I think people that think this offense will run better with our real guys out there are going to be disappointed. It will take a while to run the full offense. The offense won't be ready by training camp or regular season. I think it may take till all star break to get the offense running. So yes we all do need to get a grip. I hope management does not go for a trade cause of this game. Would be dumb.

Yeah I agree. There is no way veterans will run an offense better than rookies and second year players who've had less than 10 practices.
KB824MJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
KB824MJ wrote:

Yeah I agree. There is no way veterans will run an offense better than rookies and second year players who've had less than 10 practices.
yes, that's why I don't agree with "oh, it's only summer league" yes, it is but lakers are implementing a whole new offense. These are the ones that will understand what it will take in this offense. Veterans will be behind these guys. They'll have time to work on it but look at our first practice was chaos. Same thing will happen even with veterans. Even coach Mermuys said it might take into the regular season for the offense to start clicking
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject:

We need at least ONE guard that can consistently apply defensive pressure.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
KB824MJ wrote:

What about the veteran defenders on the other team? Didn't see too many NBA players in burgundy last night. At least not on the defensive end.

Remember, this is the same offense that failed to create a single decent shot in halfcourt during the last 5 minutes of Games 5 & 7 of the Finals. The Warriors were unable to score out of halfcourt during those two critical stretches, because they had no one who could create off the dribble, and no disciplined PG to settle them down. He was too busy making hot dog passes...sound familiar? Even if we hate ISO ball, we need to have the threat of being able to isolate and score, be it on a drive, drive and kick, or in-your-face three ball. Otherwise the defense rarely has to send help and can switch with impunity.

Team USA's scrimmage with the Select team will put the idea of 30 wins to bed. It is far more likely the Lakers lose 70 than win 30. Only the Sixers are potentially worse.
LAPauer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject:

Everyone needs that come to Jesus moment that this team will not make the playoffs. If they win 34 games, they will have doubled the wins from last season. I would be happy with that, and they still won't sniff the post season. Even if Russell breaks out as an all star this season, we probably won't win 40 games with the young and raw talent we are relying on. These guys are going to have terrible games now and then, which is just part of the process. We're looking at being an elite team in 3 or 4 years. There's no reason to complain about our player as long as they keep pushing that win total in a positive direction every season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject:

Vic5150 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
This thread is gold.

This is the first time in years that I have tuned to SL games.

Preseason is more Important for team identity when you have all the guys playing.

I'm glad that we are out of the SL championship game I wanna see the guys get some rest.

The Guys get some rest?? Are u kidding? These guys need to work together more, the more they play the better they will be later on. They got their arses handed to them by a couple of scrubs from D league. Can you imagine what's going to happen when they enter the real show!

That was so irrational I laughed out loud at work. I showed a couple co-workers and they also got a hearty chuckle out of that too. I cannot take such a panicked reaction to a game that essentially doesn't count. It's like you've forgotten about training camp, preseason, the regular season. You're right though they'll just stop working now that they've lost and they're headed to the gallows. How you haven't had a stroke or heart attack by now is a modern medical miracle. Please chill out. Maybe spoon your wife.

And maybe having actual NBA level players like JC, Deng, Randle, etc will hop over brick layers like Anthony brown. I mean would you even pass him the ball if he's open? It's a virtual turnover.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Roon wrote:
KB824MJ wrote:

What about the veteran defenders on the other team? Didn't see too many NBA players in burgundy last night. At least not on the defensive end.

Remember, this is the same offense that failed to create a single decent shot in halfcourt during the last 5 minutes of Games 5 & 7 of the Finals. The Warriors were unable to score out of halfcourt during those two critical stretches, because they had no one who could create off the dribble, and no disciplined PG to settle them down. He was too busy making hot dog passes...sound familiar? Even if we hate ISO ball, we need to have the threat of being able to isolate and score, be it on a drive, drive and kick, or in-your-face three ball. Otherwise the defense rarely has to send help and can switch with impunity.

Team USA's scrimmage with the Select team will put the idea of 30 wins to bed. It is far more likely the Lakers lose 70 than win 30. Only the Sixers are potentially worse.

Let me know what you're smoking. One SUMMER LEAGUE loss and all of a sudden the Lakers are closer to 70 losses than 30? You're taking the word overreaction to an entire new level. As I already mentioned all the talent we don't have right now because it's summer league, the fact that we haven't implemented the system yet, and that these guys haven't played together much and it's easy to see why they've struggled.

The Lakers are definitely a better team than last season just by the fact of having a real coach and better veterans. Deng is a huge upgrade over Kobe as much as I love him. Not ball dominant, cuts hard, and an excellent defender. Mozgov isn't great by any means, but he can catch, finish, set screens, and a solid interior defender. Calderon gives us a legit backup point guard who can be a playmaker and shoot the basketball as well.

Yes we all know the Lakers young core has a long way to go, but for the most part D'Angelo has played very well. He's looked poised, in control, been pretty unstoppable offensively, getting to wherever he wants, he just needs to be more consistent defensively and find a better balance between scoring and passing. Ingram even though he's struggled has shown flashes of the player he can be. His defense has been solid. He's shown he can make extra passes. Push the ball in transition which leads to easy buckets. Just needs some time to get accustomed to the three point line.

We haven't even see Randle who is coming off a very good rookie season and for some idiotic reason people are writing the kid off. He's already a double double guy and an absolute terror on the boards as well as transition. He's been working hard and the experience of playing against Team USA will only help him. I see no reason to think he won't be much improved. Clarkson and Nance Jr. are right now the most consistent Lakers. Nance is showing to be an excellent all around player. He's running the court, rotating and blocking shots, switching, hitting open shots, making extra passes, and talking on defense.

I just don't get the overreaction. It's ridiculous to me to overreact and say we are closer to 70 losses than 30 wins when the Lakers are clearly more talented, clearly better coached, and are missing such a large chunk of what is a vastly upgraded roster. There are a number of teams I could see being worse than the Lakers besides the Sixers. The Nets. What exactly does Brooklyn have? Saying they're better is idiotic. They have nothing on that roster. They overpaid for some role players, but that doesn't make them better than us. Dallas lost Parsons and Dirk is on the downside. I see them taking a deep drop. They probably are better than L.A., but not by much. Phoenix, Miami, Denver, Sacremento, and Milwaukee all could be potentially worse which puts which around 30 wins.

As for the system (bleep) you mentioned ugh did you forget that same system won 73 games? Also won a championship. Yes they struggled in the last few minutes of the finals so what you're suggesting we run a bunch of isos? Brilliant plan. This system is perfect for us because it commands constant motion, ball movement, good spacing, playing with pace, and great cohesion. This team needs to learn how to play the right way. We clearly have guys who can get their own. Russell, Clarkson, even Randle and eventually Ingram should be a dominant scorer. Once we learn how to play together we're gonna take off.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Vic5150 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
This thread is gold.

This is the first time in years that I have tuned to SL games.

Preseason is more Important for team identity when you have all the guys playing.

I'm glad that we are out of the SL championship game I wanna see the guys get some rest.

The Guys get some rest?? Are u kidding? These guys need to work together more, the more they play the better they will be later on. They got their arses handed to them by a couple of scrubs from D league. Can you imagine what's going to happen when they enter the real show!

That was so irrational I laughed out loud at work. I showed a couple co-workers and they also got a hearty chuckle out of that too. I cannot take such a panicked reaction to a game that essentially doesn't count. It's like you've forgotten about training camp, preseason, the regular season. You're right though they'll just stop working now that they've lost and they're headed to the gallows. How you haven't had a stroke or heart attack by now is a modern medical miracle. Please chill out. Maybe spoon your wife.

And maybe having actual NBA level players like JC, Deng, Randle, etc will hop over brick layers like Anthony brown. I mean would you even pass him the ball if he's open? It's a virtual turnover.

Ughhh. I've been trying to be optimistic about Brown, but outside of his defense, he is not even showing flashes.

How do you shoot 45% from long 2 range in college, and completely brick it in the pros? It's got to be a mental block.

I'm still clinging to some hope he'll figure it out but I'm clinging by my fingernails at this point.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject:

I love the "SPL means nothing" (when DLo plays well).

Then when he has one bad half "SPL means everything."

The hypocrisy and irrationality is stunning.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject:

I have a grip...now what?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject:

Sky is falling people said spl was garbage when we were winning now after a loss it's the end all be all.

The key guys playing have shown that we are going to be legit. I have zero anxiety about the future. We are perfectly on the path of getting back.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject:

"Mama said there'd be days like this..."

Especially for a developing dlo, etc, etc

Yes, second half was frustrating to watch but the young guys will learn from that. The additions of deng, Calderon, etc look even better now as guys who are from all I've heard are not only good character guys but like to teach as well.

More concerned with the nance injury, but seems like that will be no more than 2 months so should be ok.

And don't worry, we will have a lot of ups and downs this year. We will have games like the first half tonight, and like the second half. Let's just try and enjoy what will be an at times bumpy, but ultimately satisfying journey for this team this year and those that follow.
halosage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject:

Look...kids played very well...including Nance, Zubac, Ingram, Munford and DLO.
Pleasantly surprised about Zubac.

Lets understand the other side... this 25 yrd old kid Jordan McRae was playing literally for his life in the NBA. Good for him. Kid was drafted 2014 in the second round and played overseas and D-LEAGUE. Kid was inspired and Lakers did not focus on what initially how they started with "moving the ball" and started to play ISO ball like the CAVS.

Anyhoot...excited to for Camp to start.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject:

It's amazing people expect NBA level game planning and play. It's a glorified rec league with some modicum of coaching.

I've seen enough good things from DLo, Ingram, nance and zubac.

Auguste and Mumford should be camp invites.

Abrown is prob back but man he needs to hit a shot.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject:

I thought the loss was good for the kids. They were getting a bit too cocky after the 3-0 and yesterday's game kinda brought them back down to earth. Going up by 19 and blowing that lead was a humbling experience I hope and they learn from it.

I just hope Nance will be okay. Besides that it was a good loss.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject:

halosage wrote:
Look...kids played very well...including Nance, Zubac, Ingram, Munford and DLO.
Pleasantly surprised about Zubac.

Lets understand the other side... this 25 yrd old kid Jordan McRae was playing literally for his life in the NBA. Good for him. Kid was drafted 2014 in the second round and played overseas and D-LEAGUE. Kid was inspired and Lakers did not focus on what initially how they started with "moving the ball" and started to play ISO ball like the CAVS.

Anyhoot...excited to for Camp to start.

One would think this was apparent.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject:

Lost in the hysteria of the franchise breaking SPL defeat is Coach Mermuys taking personal responsibility for the team's second half collapse, without being specifically asked about it.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Roon wrote:
KB824MJ wrote:

Let me know what you're smoking. One SUMMER LEAGUE loss and all of a sudden the Lakers are closer to 70 losses than 30? You're taking the word overreaction to an entire new level. As I already mentioned all the talent we don't have right now because it's summer league, the fact that we haven't implemented the system yet, and that these guys haven't played together much and it's easy to see why they've struggled.

The Lakers are definitely a better team than last season just by the fact of having a real coach and better veterans. Deng is a huge upgrade over Kobe as much as I love him. Not ball dominant, cuts hard, and an excellent defender. Mozgov isn't great by any means, but he can catch, finish, set screens, and a solid interior defender. Calderon gives us a legit backup point guard who can be a playmaker and shoot the basketball as well.

Yes we all know the Lakers young core has a long way to go, but for the most part D'Angelo has played very well. He's looked poised, in control, been pretty unstoppable offensively, getting to wherever he wants, he just needs to be more consistent defensively and find a better balance between scoring and passing. Ingram even though he's struggled has shown flashes of the player he can be. His defense has been solid. He's shown he can make extra passes. Push the ball in transition which leads to easy buckets. Just needs some time to get accustomed to the three point line.

We haven't even see Randle who is coming off a very good rookie season and for some idiotic reason people are writing the kid off. He's already a double double guy and an absolute terror on the boards as well as transition. He's been working hard and the experience of playing against Team USA will only help him. I see no reason to think he won't be much improved. Clarkson and Nance Jr. are right now the most consistent Lakers. Nance is showing to be an excellent all around player. He's running the court, rotating and blocking shots, switching, hitting open shots, making extra passes, and talking on defense.

I just don't get the overreaction. It's ridiculous to me to overreact and say we are closer to 70 losses than 30 wins when the Lakers are clearly more talented, clearly better coached, and are missing such a large chunk of what is a vastly upgraded roster. There are a number of teams I could see being worse than the Lakers besides the Sixers. The Nets. What exactly does Brooklyn have? Saying they're better is idiotic. They have nothing on that roster. They overpaid for some role players, but that doesn't make them better than us. Dallas lost Parsons and Dirk is on the downside. I see them taking a deep drop. They probably are better than L.A., but not by much. Phoenix, Miami, Denver, Sacremento, and Milwaukee all could be potentially worse which puts which around 30 wins.

As for the system (bleep) you mentioned ugh did you forget that same system won 73 games? Also won a championship. Yes they struggled in the last few minutes of the finals so what you're suggesting we run a bunch of isos? Brilliant plan. This system is perfect for us because it commands constant motion, ball movement, good spacing, playing with pace, and great cohesion. This team needs to learn how to play the right way. We clearly have guys who can get their own. Russell, Clarkson, even Randle and eventually Ingram should be a dominant scorer. Once we learn how to play together we're gonna take off.

I may be smokin' somethin, but you really gotta cut me some of whatever you're snorting.

Even after the 3-0 start, 24 wins was the absolute ceiling of my expectations for this team. Being a PG is, by his own admission, a completely new challenge for Russell, and it shows with his decision making and fundamentals. The Lakers have more of their starting rotation than either Philly or Cleveland, and struggled in both games.

As for our vets being better this year...from 12/7 onward last year, Kobe shot 39% overall while carrying the offense on many nights(when the shot clock was low they looked for Kobe), and we will miss this. Deng can't play Kobe's role on offense, so that falls on D'Angelo, Lou, Randle, and Clarkson to make more plays for themselves and teammates. All are defensive liabilities, and Randle can't go right. Odom got away with that because he was 6'10, but even he was better off the bench. Julius' best games were in garbage time. Calderon is more likely to be mistaken for Ryan Lewis than a point guard.

Where did I say we should run a bunch of ISOs? I said not having the ability to run ISOs is a liability. When the Cavs and Thunder figured that Curry wasn't 100% and couldn't even take Kevin Love off the dribble, the gameplan was simpler. In the regular season, Curry gets a paint touch in that situation. What we saw in the final quarters of Games 5-7 was what the Warriors' offense looks like without the threat of a playmaker beating his man off the dribble. Which is the current situation with this Lakers squad.

This Lakers team is far less talented and experienced than Golden State, and doesn't have the two best shooters in the league. The "record setting" 1999 Bulls that once scored 49 points in a game ran an offense similar to the 1998 Bulls, and the TWolves were unable to replicate the success of the Triangle with lesser players under Rambis.

Losing Kobe and expecting to nearly double the win total is a mixture of blasphemy and analytical hubris. Phoenix is better, Denver is better, Sacramento will be their usual mediocre selves, Miami will win 25+ if Bosh can play, leaving Philly as the only possible "competitor" standing between us and the worst record.

Before writing me off as a chicken little pessimist, I had us with 18 wins last year after Game #1, and had us missing the playoffs when we committed to MDA ball in 2012-13 (12-20 running his offense with that team).
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject:

Kobe carried the offense? wow you really are delusional. I love Kobe and he had some great flash back games, but he was a liability for most of the season. Took a lot of three's and shot a very low percentage. Couldn't stay in front of anyone. Our offense was so predictable with just Kobe iso after Kobe iso. We get much better having someone like Deng who won't stagnant our offense and will be able to stay in front of guys as well as the versatility with being able to play multiple positions.

Also lol at us having more of a starting rotation than the other teams. We literally have ONE guy who will likely be a starter for us. Russell and that's it. With his wrist injury Nance Jr. will almost certainly be a backup to Julius. Zubac will probably be a third string center and Ingram is not ready to supplant Deng. We have no more of a starting rotation than the Sixers do and even if we did so what if they had struggled? They haven't played together can you not get that through your head? How long have you watched basketball? Teams don't just start playing together and start dominating. Who the hell said we are as good as the Warriors? They're the best team in the league. What people are saying is their system that we are likely to run here will best utilize the players we have and their respective skill sets.

As for Russell yes he has a lot to learn, but playing with better players with no doubt lead to better decisions because he'll have players capable of I don't know making some shots, cutting hard, and we have the ability to take the able out of Russell's hands and let Clarkson facilitate the offense. There will be growing pains, we'll blow games, but the veterans we added and the improvement of our young guys throughout the year and playing for Luke should lead to at least 10-15 more wins this season.

How is Phoenix better? They have nothing outside of Booker. The Heat? Please Bosh will probably never play again and they've pretty much lost all their key players outside of Whiteside and Dragic. Yeah the Kings will be their mediocre selves which will probably be right around 30 wins so I see no reason why the Lakers can't do the same. Basing all this off one summer league loss is ridiculous, but go ahead keep freaking out over one meaningless exhibition game where we're missing like seven rotation quality players.
Jbar805
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject:

Yea people! GET SOME GRAPES!
tothesky
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject:

Every year there are people that think we could contend for the last playoff spot. We always find out fairly quickly that it won't happen.
Jbar805
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject:

tothesky wrote:
Every year there are people that think we could contend for the last playoff spot. We always find out fairly quickly that it won't happen.

Who invited this guy to the party?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/70/Eeyore.gif
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject:

I believe Jimmy & Mitch need to keep their grip & allow these young kids to stay together & be patient cause no matter what it's gonna take at least two more years for this team to win & compete against rest of league.

I would stick with Dlo, Ingram, Randle & Clarkson under age 24 & NOT trade any of them for a Westbrook or others that are already 28-29 yrs old, your losing 5 yrs of players & that still wouldn't be enough would still need a year or two to gel as a team, so stick with the young guns as we did back in the 90's with Nick, Eddie, etc. & then add that one piece if necessary in free agency when these kids have more experience. IMO, we have the 4 key positions at a youthful age so everyone needs to be patient, were not in a win now mode with an aging Kobe anymore!
HC: Riley
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: