lakers got 2 lottery talents this draft
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: lakers got 2 lottery talents this draft

1) one thing ingram didn't show in duke was his ability to create for others, but he was doing it with ease yesterday. he'll be a nightmare for teams in a couple seasons - when he drives, they won't know whether to close the lane or cover the shooters. and he has dpoy potential with his length and mobility. good luck trying to get a post entry pass around this guy. i think he'll be a legit superstar.

2) zubac is fairly mobile for someone who weights 260+. he can run the floor, hit the midrange shot, alter shots if not block them. He has a post up game and takes high percentage shots. his strengths outnumber his weaknesses by a large margin. i think he'll be an all-star in 2-3 seasons.

the only thing these guys need is TIME, and they have that since the Warriors have the west on lock.

future looks real good right bout now.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

Indeed.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: lakers got 2 lottery talents this draft

Denny_Russo wrote:
1) one thing ingram didn't show in duke was his ability to create for others, but he was doing it with ease yesterday. he'll be a nightmare for teams in a couple seasons - when he drives, they won't know whether to close the lane or cover the shooters. and he has dpoy potential with his length and mobility. good luck trying to get a post entry pass around this guy. i think he'll be a legit superstar.

2) zubac is fairly mobile for someone who weights 260+. he can run the floor, hit the midrange shot, alter shots if not block them. He has a post up game and takes high percentage shots. his strengths outnumber his weaknesses by a large margin. i think he'll be an all-star in 2-3 seasons.

the only thing these guys need is TIME, and they have that since the Warriors have the west on lock.

oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject:

I'm pulling for Zubac. I really hope he is the Lakers starting center in 2-3 seasons. He has shown some really good instincts at protecting the rim that I didn't expect. I'm not sure if he'll ever make an all star team, but he was a steal at 32. If Zubac is able to realize his full potential in the future, that sure would take away some of the Sting from losing the draft picks.
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: lakers got 2 lottery talents this draft

Denny_Russo wrote:

Zubac: The short, 12-16 foot jumper has been a surprise as has been his turnaround bank (which I did not expect to fall at all.) Like the way he alters shots and hangs in there.

Ingram: Very startled to see him unable to hit his uncontested open jumpers. His defense is potentially good, and length a major asset. And I like the way he can move to the rim quickly.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject:

According to this mock draft he was supposed to go #16 to the Celtics!

.... Thanks Boston!

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject:

Mitch has been on a roll. Now if only AB can find his shot!
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

.... Thanks Boston!

Ironically that's exactly where the Lakers had him ranked.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject:

Zubac has looked really good so far. Get him the ball on the block, likely to make the shot. Shown he can shoot the jumper, and protect the rim. I think we did indeed get a steal in the 2nd round.

But what I can't get out of my head is when he didn't box out when that Cavs big man made that monstrous put back jam. That is just terrible basketball and inexcusable for someone in the NBA. Not to mention something like that can change the momentum of the game. Hopefully the coaches get him in the film room and show him that clip and make sure he doesn't pull that again.
lakershead22
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject:

I agree with the OP 100%. That is exactly what Summer League is for. To figure out stuff like this. Who cares if the Lakers lost in a meaningless game.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I've been impressed with Zubac as well, but lets not forget that it's only been 4 summer league games.
Kirby Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

lol

here we go with the annual overrating our players

Ebanks
Character
Upshaw
Xavier Henrey

Lakers not best starting 5..possible best overall??

Last edited by Kirby Brian on Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

.... Thanks Boston!

brian shaw mentioned Lakers had him @16 spot
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Kirby Brian wrote:
lol

there are things that are pretty evident just by watching these meaningless games, the guy's length, his mobility for someone his size, that soft shooting touch, the FT shooting, those things are not going away. You can clearly see the raw talent and the skills he possesses. Now there are things that we don't know, injury, work ethic, coachability, which can dictate whether or not he can live up to the potential, but the excitement is warranted.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Kirby Brian wrote:
lol

Ebanks
Character
Upshaw
Xavier Henrey

To be fair, it wasn't that they weren't NBA quality, but they had unresolved off the court issues that got in the way of their NBA dreams. Both Derek Caracter and Robert Upshaw were suspended/dismissed from their respective universities.

Here's an excerpt on Caracter:

In two seasons at Louisville, Caracter has been suspended for a total of 17 games. He's struggled to control his weight, carried a lax attitude with him to practice, and taken advantage of the multiple lifelines thrown his way by Rick Pitino. With Padgett sidelined in December and his team relying on him to shoulder the load in the post, Caracter was caught breaking curfew twice...on the same night. On top of all this, he's taken inherited talent that just about anyone would kill for, and averaged just eight points and four rebounds at the college level.

Why Ebanks didn't make it:

On August 28th of 2014, Ebanks signed with Bnei Herzliya of Israel for the 2015 season. Sadly after just three game with Herzliya, Ebanks had to part ways for behavioral issues.

Ditto for upshaw except replace the suspension with dismissals.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
I'm pulling for Zubac. I really hope he is the Lakers starting center in 2-3 seasons. He has shown some really good instincts at protecting the rim that I didn't expect. I'm not sure if he'll ever make an all star team, but he was a steal at 32. If Zubac is able to realize his full potential in the future, that sure would take away some of the Sting from losing the draft picks.

He would take away the sting of having to lose Marc to gain Pau. I always hated how the one uncommon draft score Mitch made in those days had to be dealt.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
Kirby Brian wrote:
lol

there are things that are pretty evident just by watching these meaningless games, the guy's length, his mobility for someone his size, that soft shooting touch, the FT shooting, those things are not going away. You can clearly see the raw talent and the skills he possesses. Now there are things that we don't know, injury, work ethic, coachability, which can dictate whether or not he can live up to the potential, but the excitement is warranted.

Maybe Kirby can't see the difference between Zubac and Sacre. One knowing how to play basketball and the other being absolutely feckless in any type of game escapes him. No disrespect to you, Dock, but I think Zubac's touch is refined compared to that of some Cs taken in the top 5. Dwight, Kwame? He already knows how to hit perimeter shots from out front and baseline and has a soft turnaround banker. Dwight still can't make the kind of shots this kid has already made in 4 Summer League games. The fact that he actually CATCHES inlet passes is a refreshing change of pace. We usually get the ones who can't. Maybe Kirby didn't notice the hundred odd number of times that bigs like Samaki, Kwame, and Dwight stumbled, fumbled, and bumbled when the ball was thrown to them in the paint.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Going to continue drinking the kool aid.

The Lakers do have lottery talent that just has to develop.

Randle lottery just needs to develop a jumper and watch out
Clarkson a great find by the Lakers needs some work on defense
DLO 2nd pick just needs playing time great potential
Nance good find by the Lakers
Ingram 2nd pick just needs to gain strength Durant like upside
Zubac should have been a lottery pick. Huge upside.

Each of these players just need to develop and get playing time.

Were Mosgov and Deng lottery picks?
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Not a threat beyond 5-7 feet from the basket…

On Zubac. I am think it was all Mitch's ploy.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject:

I have no idea what his ceiling is but given time I believe that Zu could develop into an NBA caliber center and an asset to this team.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject:

ZenMaster4President wrote:
Quote:
Not a threat beyond 5-7 feet from the basket…

On Zubac. I am think it was all Mitch's ploy.

Maybe Mitch saw how Byron masked the strength of the young Lakers this past season, and figured if he can find Byrons coaching in college or abroad, he can get players that aren't allowed to show their true talent level to scouts.

I don't blame a scout for thinking that since apparently Zubac was not allowed to do anything but set screens in Croatia.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Zubac will be an all star, but he can be a quality big coming off the bench, and if he is able to extend his range and grasp the fundamentals to guarding PnR's, he could become a spot starter, and that's fine for a second round pick.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: lakers got 2 lottery talents this draft

JM wrote:

Zubac: The short, 12-16 foot jumper has been a surprise as has been his turnaround bank (which I did not expect to fall at all.) Like the way he alters shots and hangs in there.

The bank, he's shown in the past. I expected to see that. The touch from out to 18+ feet...that was a surprise. You'd have to see him in practice or in a private workout to see that. Mitch definitely did his homework.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
Kirby Brian wrote:
lol

Maybe Kirby can't see the difference between Zubac and Sacre. One knowing how to play basketball and the other being absolutely feckless in any type of game escapes him. No disrespect to you, Dock, but I think Zubac's touch is refined compared to that of some Cs taken in the top 5. Dwight, Kwame? He already knows how to hit perimeter shots from out front and baseline and has a soft turnaround banker. Dwight still can't make the kind of shots this kid has already made in 4 Summer League games. The fact that he actually CATCHES inlet passes is a refreshing change of pace. We usually get the ones who can't. Maybe Kirby didn't notice the hundred odd number of times that bigs like Samaki, Kwame, and Dwight stumbled, fumbled, and bumbled when the ball was thrown to them in the paint.

Exactly, it's easy to see the high ceiling Zubac has, and he's being universally praised by neutral NBA observers. It's premature to think of Ingram or Zubac becoming A-S caliber, but if a poster doesn't have the basketall acumen to not lump Zubac in with Caracter and Ebanks, that's on them.
Artesties
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Kirby Brian wrote:
lol

Ebanks
Character
Upshaw
Xavier Henrey

lol I remember talking to my buddy about Ebanks and Caracter after two SL games.

Ebanks is like Ariza and Gay and Caracter is like Brand and Boozer.

I've learned since then...

Russell totally looks like Harden and Curry out there though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: