Do you think that legends like Kobe Magic and Jordan become MORE rich AFTER retirement?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Do you think that legends like Kobe Magic and Jordan become MORE rich AFTER retirement?

I say this because theyre very popular and they dedicate 200 hours a week to basketball.

Now that theyre retired they have all this extra time to devote to commercials, shows, programs, events, tours, camps...

Im sure the revenue of all those endorsements and extra curricular activities aside amass to more than 20-30m - which is what they would be earning during those hours preparing and training to play basketball.

Just curious...
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:

Mike made roughly over $90M during his playing career. He is worth close to $1B these days. So I'd say he did something right. Ditto for Magic.
Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Mike made roughly over $90M during his playing career. He is worth close to $1B these days. So I'd say he did something right. Ditto for Magic.

Man... makes you wonder if these players look forward to retirement one day.

Kobe. Inc.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

MJ and Magic of course.

We will see what Kobe does. He definitely has a chance to be come richer after retirement since he has the time to invest in whatever business venture he decides on.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

The NBA money was just seed money for their post-NBA business careers. If they don't blow it on stupid investments like Scottie Pippen they'll be alright.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Do you think that legends like Kobe Magic and Jordan become MORE rich AFTER retirement?

Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1 wrote:
I say this because theyre very popular and they dedicate 200 hours a week to basketball.

Now that theyre retired they have all this extra time to devote to commercials, shows, programs, events, tours, camps...

Im sure the revenue of all those endorsements and extra curricular activities aside amass to more than 20-30m - which is what they would be earning during those hours preparing and training to play basketball.

Just curious...

Jordan has become more rich because he makes most of his money from his shoe deal, and he bought an NBA team which increased dramatically in value. I wouldn't say in his case it's because he has more time to devote to stuff. He could basically take 355 days a year off and still make $90 million a year from shoe sales.

Magic has built a large business empire, so he might be a better example of what you're taking about.

Kobe, we'll see. ...

In addition to losing their salaries, endorsements start to dry up after a player retires. So most of their money comes from how well they invest the money made before they retire.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Do you think that legends like Kobe Magic and Jordan become MORE rich AFTER retirement?

activeverb wrote:
Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1 wrote:

Just curious...

Jordan has become more rich because he makes most of his money from his shoe deal, and he bought an NBA team which increased dramatically in value. I wouldn't say in his case it's because he has more time to devote to stuff. He could basically take 355 days a year off and still make $90 million a year from shoe sales.

Magic has built a large business empire, so he might be a better example of what you're taking about.

Kobe, we'll see. ...

In addition to losing their salaries, endorsements start to dry up after a player retires. So most of their money comes from how well they invest the money made before they retire.
Gets it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:

Both spent time in Chicago, but MJ is a better shoe salesman than Al Bundy.
Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Do you think that legends like Kobe Magic and Jordan become MORE rich AFTER retirement?

activeverb wrote:
Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1 wrote:

Just curious...

Kobe, we'll see. ...

Why would endorsements dry up - i doubt that - players popularity remain preeminent years after retirement.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Do you think that legends like Kobe Magic and Jordan become MORE rich AFTER retirement?

Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1 wrote:

Just curious...

Kobe, we'll see. ...

Why would endorsements dry up - i doubt that - players popularity remain preeminent years after retirement.
Certain players and they're the minority.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Do you think that legends like Kobe Magic and Jordan become MORE rich AFTER retirement?

activeverb wrote:
Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1 wrote:

Just curious...

Kobe, we'll see. ...

Yep. Kobe does seem off to a good start, FWIW. He did a lot to lay the groundwork the past 5+ years. I mean, he started going to China, I think, in 2005 or so. Certainly before Beijing in 2008 -- he was already the STAR of STARS by the time the Olympic team sauntered in. Polls had him as more popular than Ming (Yao, not JUST)
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you think that legends like Kobe Magic and Jordan become MORE rich AFTER retirement?

Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1 wrote:

Basketball players make the vast percentage of their endorsement money from shoes. And kids who buy basketball shoes are interested in the current stars, not older, retired players.

Shaq is a noticeable exception, but he also devotes a lot of attention to reminding younger people that he's around by doing NBA commentary and twitting non-stop.

So the few guys who keep the endorsing money flowing are big personalities who build a strong post-career brand and work hard to keep themselves in the public eye and create an image with younger consumers who don't know them from their playing days.

It's not a coincidence that the NBA stars who get the most endorsement in retirement (Magic and Shaq) are attention sluts with big personalities.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you think that legends like Kobe Magic and Jordan become MORE rich AFTER retirement?

Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1 wrote:
Just curious...

So not only did they never sleep or eat, but they also managed to somehow squeeze and extra 32 hours into the week?

Just curious . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you think that legends like Kobe Magic and Jordan become MORE rich AFTER retirement?

activeverb wrote:
Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1 wrote:

Basketball players make the vast percentage of their endorsement money from shoes. And kids who buy basketball shoes are interested in the current stars, not older, retired players.

Shaq is a noticeable exception, but he also devotes a lot of attention to reminding younger people that he's around by doing NBA commentary and twitting non-stop.

So the few guys who keep the endorsing money flowing are big personalities who build a strong post-career brand and work hard to keep themselves in the public eye and create an image with younger consumers who don't know them from their playing days.

It's not a coincidence that the NBA stars who get the most endorsement in retirement (Magic and Shaq) are attention sluts with big personalities.

Im curious to now what Kobe's shoes sales are in lets say China... where he is universally adored more than any other player or even figure ... probably more so than MJ is adored there.
point-guard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject:

richer guys. richer
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject:

At the end of the day, NBA players are salaried. Salaries allow for accumulation at fixed rates, investments at exponential rates.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you think that legends like Kobe Magic and Jordan become MORE rich AFTER retirement?

activeverb wrote:
Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1 wrote:

First of all, it's "Tweeting". You have to know the lingo dude.

I'm not so sure Magic or Shaq resonate with the younger generation. Shaq's main commercial endorsement is Icy Hot; a brand that appeals to old people who injure themselves doing yard work.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1 wrote:

First of all, it's "Tweeting". You have to know the lingo dude.

I'm not so sure Magic or Shaq resonate with the younger generation. Shaq's main commercial endorsement is Icy Hot; a brand that appeals to old people who injure themselves doing yard work.

Oh, I know the lingo, dude. I'm just not proofreading myself on an anonymous Internet site. If you do, you probably have too much time on your hands.

But since you want to play Internet word cop, you have a grammatical error in your first sentence. The period should go inside the quotation mark, not after it. Aren't Internet word cops an annoying pain-in-the-ass
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you think that legends like Kobe Magic and Jordan become MORE rich AFTER retirement?

Vancouver Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1 wrote:

Just curious...

Kobe, we'll see. ...

Gets it.

Never forget when Delonte West had to work in Home Depot
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Yes
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you think that legends like Kobe Magic and Jordan become MORE rich AFTER retirement?

Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1 wrote:

Im curious to now what Kobe's shoes sales are in lets say China... where he is universally adored more than any other player or even figure ... probably more so than MJ is adored there.

Well, maybe the most universally adored other than Stephen Marbury

Kobe is extremely popular in China. I know Jordan lost a big trademark case in China where a company was using his name and image without permission (trademark issues is a big obstacle for doing business in China).
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject:

The vast majority of pro athletes go broke relatively quick into retirement. The exception to the rule is like a Magic or Jordan who have major business investments in things such as pro sports teams or other investments they were part of in creating their own branding throughout their careers.

I don't think Kobe's film making and storytelling will take off, there's not a market for it among the general population, it would be a great side business though for a select audience.. I think he will end up following suit with similar ventures that MJ and Magic have done out of necessity, and out of missing being part of the game.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
The vast majority of pro athletes go broke relatively quick into retirement. The exception to the rule is like a Magic or Jordan who have major business investments in things such as pro sports teams or other investments they were part of in creating their own branding throughout their careers.

It's interesting -- the broke athlete story is taken as gospel, but there are a lot of questions about how true that is. Most of the studies that are the basis for belief have been called into question. So it's a big puzzle right now.

ReaListik wrote:
I don't think Kobe's film making and storytelling will take off, there's not a market for it among the general population, it would be a great side business though for a select audience.. .

I get the impression that's something he's doing for fun, rather than because there is a compelling business proposition for it. But, heck, the guy has as much money as anyone needs so no reason he shouldn't do things just for fun.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Kobe could run for King of China if he wanted. With his popularity over there, imagine what kind of success any sort of Chinese business venture with his face plastered on it would generate.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Kobe really took a hit with Colorado. Those mvp and championships aren't coming back. This in turn will limit his ability tocash in.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: