Lakers Trainer: "The players are actually enjoying themselves this year."
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject:

Laker Junkie wrote:
We would be nowhere without B Scott. No Ingram and no Russell.

B Scott will always be the GOAT in my book.

He the real MVP.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject:

The current crew who worked under Byron all appreciate the new coaching team as it is such a contrast and they are committed to making it work. Victory starts with a positive attitude and a committed approach.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject:

This whole summer has been dedicated to throwing shade at Byron
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject:

jwbrown77 wrote:
Real men don't enjoy basketball. They man up and grind their job out.

STOP!!!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject:

jwbrown77 wrote:
Real men don't enjoy basketball. They man up and grind their job out.

There's no enjoyment in foxholes.
ChickHearnMamba
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject:

No Kobe and a new coaching staff does that, the fact that they can all act like themselves means we are not winning a championship period. Maybe we could get the 7th or 8th spot with our team chemistry,
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject:

ChickHearnMamba wrote:
No Kobe and a new coaching staff does that, the fact that they can all act like themselves means we are not winning a championship period. Maybe we could get the 7th or 8th spot with our team chemistry,

I think we'll be the 7th seed

in everyone's hearts
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject:

ChickHearnMamba wrote:

There is no way they're winning a championship period with that team up in the Bay. Not sure what that has to do with them acting like themselves though.
ChickHearnMamba
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
ChickHearnMamba wrote:

There is no way they're winning a championship period with that team up in the Bay. Not sure what that has to do with them acting like themselves though.

it means they could act like themselves because we are not serious about winning a championship due to the current timeline. Come on now, not to difficult to comprehend.

very similar to when there's a substitute teacher replacing the teacher of the year.

its all due to Luke being laid back and trying not to hinder the growth of the young core unlike Byron. Jesse M...the assistant also makes them more comfortable (especially with Russell who mainly needed a change)
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject:

Part of the reason OKC faltered was because they didn't establish the simple things the Lakers are working on now - culture, foundation, ball-movement, sharing the ball, etc will go a long way few years from now. The Thunder have had an incomprehensible level of talent throughout the years (Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Jackson, Ibaka, etc), but still couldn't put it together, so having talent is by no means a guarantee that a team will ever win the championship. They took a step in the right direction by hiring Billy Donovan, who got Westbrook playing more team oriented ball, but it still wasn't good enough because they went back to ISO-ball when they were up 3-1 against the Warriors. Durant bolted exactly for this reason.

Last edited by KindCrippler2000 on Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
3 years of mediocrity will wear them down.

Our record hasn't changed yet. So we're still mediocre until we prove ourselves.

Ryan Kelly isn't a threat to be inserted into the lineup and be a regular part of the rotation.

There's no backup center with alligator arms and alligator leaping ability in the rotation. There's no necessity to regularly play a 6'8" fwd as the backup center.

There will be no low % chucking from wherever I please because I've earned the right, and it's not my fault that I can't play defense.

They won't automatically lose every center jump to open the game. They will have shot blocking ability most of the game.

They will have a credible offensive and defensive system.

There are quality players to play every position.

At least 2 players from last season have already shown significant improvement in July.

The overall quality of players on the roster has been upgraded,

They said goodbye to an aging star while saying hello to a rising star (or 2).

No, this team isn't mediocre.

Last edited by lakersboy on Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject:

How hard was last year on the players if a professional basketball player says "oh yeah, I like playing basketball!"

Oooof.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

Debbie downer womp womp

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

I love these articles. I look forward to watching the kids grow. This will be fun.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject:

Yeah definitely a young mans game. An Luke is still a young man.

Nobody wants to hear Byron and his speech for about the thousandth time about this is the purple and gold, we only win championships around here.
An then he makes them run suicides until they all vomit.

I heard Luke plays music during practice. Very loud as well. Now that will keep these guys pumped up.

They don't want to hear speeches they want to hear Kendrick Lamar lol

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Part of the reason OKC faltered was because they didn't establish the simple things the Lakers are working on now - culture, foundation, ball-movement, sharing the ball, etc will go a long way few years from now. The Thunder have had an incomprehensible level of talent throughout the years (Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Jackson, Ibaka, etc), but still couldn't put it together, so having talent is by no means a guarantee that a team will ever win the championship. They took a step in the right direction by hiring Billy Donovan, who got Westbrook playing more team oriented ball, but it still wasn't good enough because they went back to ISO-ball when they were up 3-1 against the Warriors. Durant bolted exactly for this reason.

The other reason is that they went up against a very, very good team.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

They were up 3-1 and had a sizeable lead in the closeout game. That's more beating themselves than it is the other team being very, very good.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

They were up 3-1 and had a sizeable lead in the closeout game. That's more beating themselves than it is the other team being very, very good.

Sure, but they still went up against a superior team in GSW.

GSW just did to OKC what OKC did to GSW first. Won a bunch of games in succession.

That's the main reason they lost.
TheKing23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Kirby Brian wrote:
It's all because Kobe is no longer around.

Be careful and don't go over the edge

Spurstalk troll running rampant in LG. They refer to Kobe as Kirby in there. He'll always spew garbage in here.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Sure, but they still went up against a superior team in GSW.

GSW just did to OKC what OKC did to GSW first. Won a bunch of games in succession.

That's the main reason they lost.

Iguodala disagrees: http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2016/07/warriors_forward_andre_iguodal.html

"Now that we got (Kevin Durant), I can say it. They were the best team last year in the league in the playoffs," Iguodala said. "They were better than us. They were better than Cleveland.

"They played us better than anybody. They played us better than Cleveland did. They had our number."
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Trainer: "The players are actually enjoying themselves this year."

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
MJST wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers' new head trainer says '(the players) are actually enjoying themselves' this year

Oh that's right! The Lakers got a new coach and fired that other guy.

Look, it wouldn't be fair to credit the coaching change solely for the improved positivity around the team, but it would also be pretty naïve to think the young guys haven't enjoyed not being yelled at or kept consistently late for windsprints as they were last season.

While we were in Vegas, it was impossible not to notice those improved attitudes on and off the court, as well as on the bench. This was a completely different team than we saw a year ago at this time.
Nuñez spoke to this new vibe on the Popcorn Machine:

"The big change that I've seen from this year to last year is: this year they want to come to practice. They want to play the games. Everybody, Larry Nance, D'Angelo, Anthony Brown, the words that they keep saying to me is like, 'I love basketball again. I love basketball. I want to come here. I want to play.' They want to get on the court. They're having fun. That's the most important part. They're actually enjoying themselves, even at practice."

I mean, at no point last season did we hear anything like this. None, whatsoever. Nuñez goes on:
"Prime example: Yesterday, Luke (Walton) gave them a day off a day ago or two days ago and made it an optional shootaround and I was surprised to see Larry Nance. He jumped on the bus and I was like: 'Hey, you're here.' And he was just like, 'Yeah I just want to go get some shots up.' Where normally in the past year, you wouldn't have seen that."
Read More: http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/7/15/12204464/la-lakers-new-head-trainer-fun-byron-scott-luke-walton

Good to hear! New atmosphere and staff getting some positive responses as compared to last year with that 'other guy'. Good news early on!

Great. I hope that translates to better basketball and more wins.

I agree.

That is fine that they are more happy but this team will be judged by wins and losses.

Happy is nice but they also need to be professional and take it serious like the mamba.
*Purple&Gold*
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject:

I think they came out of the gates last season with a positive attitude...but once they found they could not win a game, that kind of took the wind out of their sales. Lets hope that is not the case this season. Also pray we can stay away from injuries. Seems in the old days, players were iron men, now days we have all these sophisticated methods of training, new age vitamins, protein drinks, etc., but more and more players are going down injured. Hmmm? Maybe old school methods ought to be looked at a little harder. Babe Ruth drank beer, ate hot dogs, and smoked cigars...not sure we should go back that far!
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Well this is the kind of character that they were dealing with last year:

Quote:
NBA'S BYRON SCOTT
I CAN'T AFFORD MY EX-WIFE'S LIFESTYLE
... I'm Unemployed!!

Ex-Lakers coach Byron Scott says he can't keep paying for his ex-wife's baller lifestyle, 'cause he hasn't found a new job yet.
As we previously reported, Scott signed a $17 MILLION contract with the Lakers right after he filed for divorce in 2014. He'd been married to his high school sweetheart, Anita, for 29 years.
Since he was making around $300k per month at the time, the judge ordered him to pay $26k per month in spousal support.
But in new court docs obtained by TMZ Sports, Byron claims his financial situation has changed drastically ... 'cause he got fired in April and isn't pulling those huge NBA checks anymore.
Byron says his only form of income these days is a $50k-per-month deferred compensation check from the Cavs ... and half of that already goes straight to Anita.
On top of that, Byron says he probably won't find a new job 'til next year .... 'cause every team has filled their coaching spots and "there will not be a need for an analyst or commentator" at this point in the season.
Byron is asking the judge to cut off all spousal support payments ... at least for now. The case is due back in court later this month.

laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

Our record hasn't changed yet. So we're still mediocre until we prove ourselves.

Ryan Kelly isn't a threat to be inserted into the lineup and be a regular part of the rotation.

There's no backup center with alligator arms and alligator leaping ability in the rotation. There's no necessity to regularly play a 6'8" fwd as the backup center.

There will be no low % chucking from wherever I please because I've earned the right, and it's not my fault that I can't play defense.

They won't automatically lose every center jump to open the game. They will have shot blocking ability most of the game.

They will have a credible offensive and defensive system.

There are quality players to play every position.

At least 2 players from last season have already shown significant improvement in July.

The overall quality of players on the roster has been upgraded,

They said goodbye to an aging star while saying hello to a rising star (or 2).

No, this team isn't mediocre.

A mediocre team is a .500 teams which means that this team will win at least 41 games.

Yes there was an upgrade but we only won 17 games last year so that is not saying to much.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Quote:
'I love basketball again. I love basketball. I want to come here. I want to play.'

Byron Scott was a (bleep) cancer. SMH

Don't insult our tank commander. He got us all the rare pokemon.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: