Pat Riley thinks NBA should have "franchise tag"

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Pat Riley thinks NBA should have "franchise tag"

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/07/16/pat-riley-thinks-nba-should-have-franchise-tag-of-course-he-does/

Quote:
Pat Riley thinks NBA should have “franchise tag.” Of course he does.

The move of Kevin Durant from small market Oklahoma City to form a superteam in Golden State — right in the middle of ongoing Collective Bargaining Agreement talks between the NBA and players’ union — has put an old favorite of owners and GMs back in the spotlight:

A franchise tag in the NBA.

If owners want to ensure a work stoppage in 2017 that causes games to be missed, insist on a franchise tag (or a hard cap). But of course, GMs and team executives love the franchise tag idea. Including Pat Riley of the Miami Heat, via Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald.

Follow
Manny Navarro ✔ @Manny_Navarro
Riley says he believes the NBA should have a franchise tag -- someone who can be paid as much as you want. "Everybody gets 1 player."
1:59 PM - 16 Jul 2016
32 32 Retweets 41 41 likes
The NFL has a franchise tag, although the NFL players’ union has historically not been nearly as strong as the NBA’s. Actually, that’s far too kind — the NFL union has been steamrolled more than once. There’s a lot of things in the NFL CBA that would never fly in the NBA.

The NFL version gives a tagged player a one-year contract for at least the average of the top five salaries at the player’s position. What Riley seems to be proposing is somewhat different — one tagged player where a team can void the max contract numbers to offer more to keep a player in a market. In theory, the Thunder could have tagged Durant and offered him $40 million a year in this scenario.

There is zero chance the players’ union goes for this — it restricts player movement. What they want for their players isn’t only money, it’s options. If Durant spends nine years in OKC and fulfills his end of the contract, he should have the option of changing work locations just like you or I can. This is important to the union and a line in the sand it would not cross. It would lead to a lengthy lockout.

A better idea — why not just do away with max salaries all together while keeping the cap? No way Stephen Curry and Durant end up on the same team when both could make $45 million a season and there is even a soft cap. The biggest opponents of that are the NBA’s well-paid role players (of which there are far more than star/max players) — the cap on max salaries leaves more money for them. If Durant makes $20 million more, the role players on that team make less.

(One interesting tangent: What if teams could tag a player, but said player could still leave? For example, if the Thunder could tag Durant, ignore max salary restrictions and offer $40 million a season, but he could still choose to leave for less with Golden State. Is that acceptable to the players? I doubt it would be to the owners, but it’s an interesting hypothetical topic.)

I heard mixed things in Las Vegas about the possibility of a 2017 lockout. The Durant move seemed to galvanize hard-line owners — mostly from small and middle-sized markets — who want hard caps or franchise tags. Of course, what a lot of those owners want is another few percentage points of “basketball related income” (the money the league takes in from national television deals, ticket sales, jersey sales and much more) — the players used to get 57 percent, now it is 49-51 percent (depending on a number of factors each year), but greedy owners want more. It’s all about the money. There is zero chance the players union under Michelle Roberts goes for that after feeling they gave up too much last time. But there will be some push to restrict player movement.

On the other side , there is a lot of optimism a lockout (at least one that costs games) can be avoided, in part because there is simply so much money in the system with the new television deal there is faith cooler heads will prevail. The two sides are already talking, the dynamic is different with Adam Silver and Roberts, and they can find enough common ground to make this work. NBA owners are seeing profits, NBA players are making more than ever before, who wants to kill the golden goose?

My experience with the rich (players) and ridiculously wealthy (owners) is that they never think they are making enough money. Never underestimate human greed. I just hope I’m wrong in this case.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject:

Sure, if you saw off one year of the rookie contract and raise the player share of BRI.

Riles is just being greedy.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

It's called restricted free agency. Players should have no obligation to a team after that's fulfilled.

Franchise tag is so cheap. I hate that it's in the NFL.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
It's called restricted free agency. Players should have no obligation to a team after that's fulfilled.

Franchise tag is so cheap. I hate that it's in the NFL.

I feel the same way. The NFL doesn't really have unrestricted FA, because the tag can be used multiple times.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Pat was pissed that Bron left. Hated his entourage and his Millennial and media-savvy outlooks as a pro athlete. Pat's old line that fit a generation past was "the disease of ME." Now, many players are infected according to his stringent definition. He was also not happy with Wade just jumping ship over an extra year, haha. The notion of player "loyalty" is antiquated as well. I'll give the youngins that much. There was never any loyalty from FO to player, they'll dump you at their earliest convenience if you miss a couple of steps.

Pat also had a "hold me back"/"F.U.!" shouting match with Shaq in the locker room once. I still have a lot of fondness for Pat, but his militaristic style (e.g. he an effin friend of Bobby Knight's for godsake) is over with. Byron was his disciple. His arms are STILL crossed at this very moment, I'd bet a C-note on it. There were many other old schoolers who either adjusted with the times or retired. Worthy and Ireland just discussed the other day how coaches used to be old like Bill Fitch. No more. Del Harris had problems with Gen X, much less Gen Why? He adjusted tho, but was relegated to assistant for the rest of his career. I liked Del, but he had a belligerent side that was unreal. I've got 4 clips of him storming out onto the court screaming his ass off. That's over with. Luke looks like he was slipped a lude from Cosby by comparison. That's what today's players want.

My collection of Del freakouts. This is from 91. If you wanna watch the others, I put the links in the video description. I included his pick on Michael Adams in 91. He DID set a strong pick, gotta give him that much.

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Pat was pissed that Bron left. Hated his entourage and his Millennial and media-savvy outlooks as a pro athlete. Pat's old line that fit a generation past was "the disease of ME." Now, many players are infected according to his stringent definition. He was also not happy with Wade just jumping ship over an extra year, haha. The notion of player "loyalty" is antiquated as well. I'll give the youngins that much. There was never any loyalty from FO to player, they'll dump you at their earliest convenience if you miss a couple of steps.

Pat also had a "hold me back"/"F.U.!" shouting match with Shaq in the locker room once. I still have a lot of fondness for Pat, but his militaristic style (e.g. he an effin friend of Bobby Knight's for godsake) is over with. Byron was his disciple. His arms are STILL crossed at this very moment, I'd bet a C-note on it. There were many other old schoolers who either adjusted with the times or retired. Worthy and Ireland just discussed the other day how coaches used to be old like Bill Fitch. No more. Del Harris had problems with Gen X, much less Gen Why? He adjusted tho, but was relegated to assistant for the rest of his career. I liked Del, but he had a belligerent side that was unreal. I've got 4 clips of him storming out onto the court screaming his ass off. That's over with. Luke looks like he was slipped a lude from Cosby by comparison. That's what today's players want.

My collection of Del freakouts. This is from 91. If you wanna watch the others, I put the links in the video description. I included his pick on Michael Adams in 91. He DID set a strong pick, gotta give him that much.

Van Exel giving the middle finger @ 1:11
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Pat steals LeBron and now that he's in rebuild he want to be able to prevent anyone from returning the favor. He can go suck a turnip.
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Van Exel giving the middle finger @ 1:11

Caught that, too. Van Thugxel doin' work.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject:

If a player has fulfilled his contract and wants to leave he should be able to do so. That being said, i hate the cap in the NBA (and the NFL for that matter). the cap should really be softened a bit to allow those teams with money to be able to use it to their advantage. Maybe its a bit unfair but I see how the small market teams unfairly steamrolled the CP3 Deal with no compensation to the Lakers; they are no angles by any means, so i say Fu** them, the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, and Nicks built the league....

...Not the Mavericks, Cavs, and Bobcats
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject:

Salty much Riles?

He just doesn't like it when the shoe is on the other foot.

I guess he's not the closer every one thought.

Bye.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Oh, Pat's pissed off every which way.

He's pissed off Whiteside required a max contract instead of playing for less to "help out" the team.

He's pissed off Wade was tired of leaving money on the table.

He's pissed off that Lebron didn't see him as a svengali.

He's pissed off that players see the Heat as a play to sell their services rather than a cult with him as their guru.

He's pissed off that it's 2016, and not 1986.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Wait until Bosh is forced to retire, that will REALLY piss him off, as the Heat circle the drain hoping for 25 wins...

LOL .........Rat Piley
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject:

I bet he wants non-guaranteed contracts like the NFL too.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject:

so now that Wade left he wants franchise tags... I'm sure he wasn't wanting them when he went out to get Lebron and Bosh right?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject:

The NBA will get a franchise tag when Pat Riley the Basketball exec gets a muzzle.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

I like the idea that you could use a Franchise tag that allowed you to over pay your guy, but he could still leave if he wanted to.

That being said, I bet the owners would find a way to be able to drop that player down the road and not have it count against their salary cap.

Imagine some guy making 40 million and just falling apart, like Howard. And you are stuck paying him stupid money like that for 5 years. You would be done as a franchise for 10 years, minimum.

But I do like it that nobody could offer similar, or more, money to your best player. That you could lock them up, money wise. If they want to leave, no problemo, they just can't make the same money elsewhere. Wouldn't stop a lot of players. I mean does it make a difference if you are filthy rich or super filthy rich?
etmo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Sure, if you saw off one year of the rookie contract and raise the player share of BRI.

Riles is just being greedy.

This doesn't make any sense. How is he being greedy?

We don't know the exact specifics of an NBA franchise tag because it doesn't exist in the NBA, so maybe you and I have different assumptions about its implementation.

But if you take only the face of what was said -- a franchise can offer (this is the key word here, imo) a player more than the max -- then it's entirely to the benefit of the player and the players union.

If you assume it means the team can force the player to stay against his will, then that's a different animal.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Make it a franchise tag with qualifications. The player had to have been with the team for at least 8 straight seasons and he could make up to 1.5% of the max. Only it wouldn't count against the salary cap or luxury tax.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: