How far is Randle from being as good as prime Odom?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KBH wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Honestly, Odom is being memorialized as a player in a far better light than I ever remember. Offensively there was very little smooth about his game. I'd venture to say he was almost as mistake prone attacking the basket. The one thing he was that Randle wasn't right off the bat though was unselfish and team first to a fault.

Lamar did make a lot of mistakes. But he was still smoother, more polished and less mistake-prone than Randle at the same stage, much less when Odom was a veteran contributing to our championship runs. And LO was a far better defender. The only area Randle has an edge is rebounding. Check the stats and the few highlights floating around. If Randle reached Lamar Odom's output and impact (on both ends) we'd be in excellent shape. Especially with D'Lo and Ingram projected to be stars by many.

Time makes people forget the frustrating part of having LO on your team, the games where he mentally checked out or just didn't show up. It is like those games never happened. I agree with most posters, this is a horrible comparison. Comparing the prime of any player with a guy with one season under his belt is flat out dumb.

I haven't forgotten anything. The good far outweighed the bad with LO. Which is why we enjoyed great success with him in our lineup even in games when either Pau or Bynum (or both in a few instances) were out of the lineup. Odom's good definitely outweighs the bad in comparison to Randle at this stage of his career. If anything, this thread is a disservice to Randle.

Last edited by KBH on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KBH wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Honestly, Odom is being memorialized as a player in a far better light than I ever remember. Offensively there was very little smooth about his game. I'd venture to say he was almost as mistake prone attacking the basket. The one thing he was that Randle wasn't right off the bat though was unselfish and team first to a fault.

Lamar did make a lot of mistakes. But he was still smoother, more polished and less mistake-prone than Randle at the same stage, much less when Odom was a veteran contributing to our championship runs. And LO was a far better defender. The only area Randle has an edge is rebounding. Check the stats and the few highlights floating around. If Randle reached Lamar Odom's output and impact (on both ends) we'd be in excellent shape. Especially with D'Lo and Ingram projected to be stars by many.

Time makes people forget the frustrating part of having LO on your team, the games where he mentally checked out or just didn't show up. It is like those games never happened. I agree with most posters, this is a horrible comparison. Comparing the prime of any player with a guy with one season under his belt is flat out dumb.

I haven't forgotten anything. The good far outweighed the bad with LO. Especially in comparison to Randle at this stage of his career. If anything, this thread is a disservice to Randle.

Yeah. I don't get why we need to dump on LO, who was instrumental to our most recent success. Without his unique contributions, Kobe may only have had 3 rings instead of 5. Ask Kobe and LO is probably his man.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject:

Randle will be better than Odom IMO. He will be a better scorer although wont be as well rounded. But he will average 20 ppg. Most LO did was 17 and that was because he had to carry the load as the first option, something he wasn't best suited to be. It's just when the Lakers acquired Pau that Odom was able to slot nicely into that 3rd option/role player/gkue guy role. Randle will be more than that.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KBH wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KBH wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I haven't forgotten anything. The good far outweighed the bad with LO. Especially in comparison to Randle at this stage of his career. If anything, this thread is a disservice to Randle.

Yeah. I don't get why we need to dump on LO, who was instrumental to our most recent success. Without his unique contributions, Kobe may only have had 3 rings instead of 5. Ask Kobe and LO is probably his man.

The thing I hate about this thread is that it is almost making me dumb on Randle when I really like the kid. But it's a fact that he has a long way to to even match a young LO with the Clippers or in his lone season with the Heat. Much less the older version who was a Swiss Army Knife willing to do just about anything the Lakers asked of him. Inconsistencies and all, Lamar from 2004-2011 is better than Randle at every facet of the game. And outside of rebounding, you could say the same when they were both 20 year old rookies as well (Randle was essentially a rookie last year).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
Randle will be better than Odom IMO. He will be a better scorer although wont be as well rounded. But he will average 20 ppg. Most LO did was 17 and that was because he had to carry the load as the first option, something he wasn't best suited to be. It's just when the Lakers acquired Pau that Odom was able to slot nicely into that 3rd option/role player/gkue guy role. Randle will be more than that.

How many 20ppg scorers do you imagine on the Lakers? IMO I think thanks to the 3 ball, DLO/JC will have a better chance at scoring 20ppg than Jules.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

How many 20ppg scorers do you imagine on the Lakers? IMO I think thanks to the 3 ball, DLO/JC will have a better chance at scoring 20ppg than Jules.

Next season nobody although I expect DLO, Clarkson and Randle to average over 15 ppg each. Say around 17-18 each.
For the future though, those 3 and Ingram.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

Next season nobody although I expect DLO, Clarkson and Randle to average over 15 ppg each. Say around 17-18 each.
For the future though, those 3 and Ingram.

I can't remember an NBA team that 4 20+ ppg scorers.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

Ingram likely projects to be a 20 point scorer as well. With Randle's size and diverse set of potential skills, I think he'd likely be best served (at least on this team assuming everyone develops how we'd hope) as a Jack of all trades who facilitates, rebounds, defends as an enforcer and scores opportunistically rather than a volume scorer. I know the Warriors comparisons are a bit overdone, but I'd like to see him as something of a Draymond-Iggy hybrid in four years.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KBH wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KBH wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I wasn't trying to dump on him. He was a wonderful all-around player.

As far as the comparison, it's probably as good as any. Randle is a difficult player to peg. I'd probably link him more to Blake Griffin (no-D, no jumpshot, no post-game), but even that has flaws.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

Ingram likely projects to be a 20 point scorer as well. With Randle's size and diverse set of potential skills, I think he'd likely be best served (at least on this team assuming everyone develops how we'd hope) as a Jack of all trades who facilitates, rebounds, defends as an enforcer and scores opportunistically rather than a volume scorer. I know the Warriors comparisons are a bit overdone, but I'd like to see him as something of a Draymond-Iggy hybrid in four years.

Yeah, that's been my hope too. And if hoping that he turns into an all-NBA, NBA-champ, all-star, all-defense, Olympian is a pejorative...so be it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KBH wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KBH wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Who is dumping on LO? I guess using that logic many are dumping on Randle as well. LO wasn't perfect, he had many undesirable traits, yet due to having Kobe, Bynum and Pau on the team we were able to benefit from his strengths while making 3 finals with 2 titles.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Who is dumping on LO? I guess using that logic many are dumping on Randle as well. LO wasn't perfect, he had many undesirable traits, yet due to having Kobe, Bynum and Pau on the team we were able to benefit from his strengths while making 3 finals with 2 titles.

I guess you haven't read all of the posts here then.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject:

That is true, I have not read all of them.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Randle can be like lebron. that's not a crazy thing. he can do all the same things. he has the same kind of body, and even moves the same way. if he focuses on defense, rebounding, hustle, smart (but simple) passing strategies, he would be just as good as lebron in my mind. And for shooting, again, Lebron is not a great shooter by any means. Just do what he does...take wide open easy shots, and pass to someone else if it's a little difficult.

Good lord. Serious question. And I'm not being sarcastic. How many times on an average day do you say each of the following words out loud regardless of context?

- LeBron
- James
- Steph (or Stephen)
- Curry
- James
- Harden
- Conspiracy
- Referees (or any derivation thereof)
- Tim (or Timothy)
- Donaghy
- Welsch
- Bet

er...this is an nba lakers discussion forum.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

Randle if he focuses on defense, rebounding, hustle, smart (but simple) passing strategies, he would be just as good as lebron in my mind.

Well, the average JV high school player is as good as lebron in your mind so that isn't much of a goal.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Randle if he focuses on defense, rebounding, hustle, smart (but simple) passing strategies, he would be just as good as lebron in my mind.

Well, the average JV high school player is as good as lebron in your mind so that isn't much of a goal.

and in your mind lebron is better than kareem and magic put together. and good riddance of kobe, eh?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

and in your mind lebron is better than kareem and magic put together. and good riddance of kobe, eh?

Not even close. I rank Magic and Kareemwell ahead of Lebron. And I put Kobe right up there. I think all four of them are great players.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Nah, he may have the stats, but in terms of skill, Lebron aint near Kobe
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_SQop5DWw8

one of his most underrated seasons! if i had better knowledge I'd say it was one of the most underrated seasons of any star player in the last 15 years.

other team's fans conveniently forget what he looked like right until the achilles injury. Taking over games like prime Kobe, carrying us to wins, averaging 27 and 6assists on 46% shooting. it was great to watch him that year
umanasibo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

one of his most underrated seasons! if i had better knowledge I'd say it was one of the most underrated seasons of any star player in the last 15 years.

other team's fans conveniently forget what he looked like right until the achilles injury. Taking over games like prime Kobe, carrying us to wins, averaging 27 and 6assists on 46% shooting. it was great to watch him that year

Yep. He was willing that "superteam" to victory and giving teams the business. And then his Achilles went snap.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

I think he would have had the GOAT Seasons 16-20 stretch if he didn't tear his Achilles. His 17th season, even with non-existent defensive effort, was by many measures the best 17+ season ever.

A shame what we missed out with the Achilles tear.

(By the way, only Mr. Karl Malone had a higher VORP season than Vino, counting 15th Season and onwards.)
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

I think he would have had the GOAT Seasons 16-20 stretch if he didn't tear his Achilles. His 17th season, even with non-existent defensive effort, was by many measures the best 17+ season ever.

(By the way, only Mr. Karl Malone had a higher VORP season than Vino, counting 15th Season and onwards.)

He gave his basketball life for us to get into the playoffs that season. Had it been Lebron doing that he would've gotten MVP.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
tox wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

He gave his basketball life for us to get into the playoffs that season. Had it been Lebron doing that he would've gotten MVP.

Yea, in some sense of the award, I think he did deserve MVP. Not the best player, but in terms of how necessary he was to his team. Obviously, in the spirit of how the award is always voted, LeBron deserved MVP, probably unanimously... but there's definitely one angle from which Kobe had a claim.

Regardless, "Vino" will always be one of my favorite basketball seasons. Pure tenacity.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject:

Odom was 6'10, had a 7'4 wingspan and was a good shooter and defender. Odom at 20 avg 17 pts, 8 rebs, 4 ast, 44% FG, 36% 3pt. Despite being on a bad Clippers team he still had good advanced stats. He never made the All Star team but he was an All Star talent coming off the bench.

Randle is a great rebounder but he has ways to go before he reaches Odom level. It all starts and ends with his jumpshot.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10
Jump to: