How far is Randle from being as good as prime Odom?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Randle will be better than Odom IMO. He will be a better scorer although wont be as well rounded. But he will average 20 ppg. Most LO did was 17 and that was because he had to carry the load as the first option, something he wasn't best suited to be. It's just when the Lakers acquired Pau that Odom was able to slot nicely into that 3rd option/role player/gkue guy role. Randle will be more than that.

How many 20ppg scorers do you imagine on the Lakers? IMO I think thanks to the 3 ball, DLO/JC will have a better chance at scoring 20ppg than Jules.

Next season nobody although I expect DLO, Clarkson and Randle to average over 15 ppg each. Say around 17-18 each.
For the future though, those 3 and Ingram.

I can't remember an NBA team that 4 20+ ppg scorers.

I don't think it's even ideal. You want the ball moving consistently, and it's hard for four players to score over 20 a night without going away from the flow of the game.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Randle will be better than Odom IMO. He will be a better scorer although wont be as well rounded. But he will average 20 ppg. Most LO did was 17 and that was because he had to carry the load as the first option, something he wasn't best suited to be. It's just when the Lakers acquired Pau that Odom was able to slot nicely into that 3rd option/role player/gkue guy role. Randle will be more than that.

How many 20ppg scorers do you imagine on the Lakers? IMO I think thanks to the 3 ball, DLO/JC will have a better chance at scoring 20ppg than Jules.

Next season nobody although I expect DLO, Clarkson and Randle to average over 15 ppg each. Say around 17-18 each.

I don't think it's even ideal. You want the ball moving consistently, and it's hard for four players to score over 20 a night without going away from the flow of the game.

It isn't ideal at all. Too many people evaluate players on box score stats. And most of the time, that refers specifically to the ol' PPG column.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Odom was 6'10, had a 7'4 wingspan and was a good shooter and defender. Odom at 20 avg 17 pts, 8 rebs, 4 ast, 44% FG, 36% 3pt. Despite being on a bad Clippers team he still had good advanced stats. He never made the All Star team but he was an All Star talent coming off the bench.

Randle is a great rebounder but he has ways to go before he reaches Odom level. It all starts and ends with his jumpshot.

Damn, I forget that even as a 20-21 year old, Lamar was pretty damn good (and would have been incredible if his mental game matched his skills).
lifelong9er
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If Randle had Odom's body he may be an all NBA player.

Odom in Randle's body? Probably not in the NBA.

I disagree with the second part. Odom was a very skilled player. His problem was that he tended to be passive/lazy. He would still have been an NBA talent with Randle's body. Skill is skill.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject:

Let's walk to Alpha Centauri... That's how far Randle is from being a prime Candy Man...
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:

The young Odom and Randall had so little in common even as forwards (build-wise, skill-wise, athleticism-wise, usage-wise) that I'd try to avoid an estimate of comparative eventual "total impact".

That said, I think Randall has some potential to be an outstanding player in this league who impacts action in entirely different ways than did Odom. When I first saw Randle in college, he reminded me of the young Moses Malone: a powerful player around the rim, pretty mobile but not a driver with the ball nor a jump shooter I still think that's where his game's best strength lay, moving inside.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
Well, Lamar played in the comfort zone of having still prime Kobe.
Randle has none.
Prime Kobe would have meant something to Randle.

Prime Kobe would have meant that Randle never gets to touch the ball to develop.
underdogsgv
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

Not sure the '69-'70 Lakers count, but technically they had 4x 20+ ppg scorers, but it was made possible by one of the 20+ scorers (Wilt) only playing a dozen or so games.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject:

underdogsgv wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

Not sure the '69-'70 Lakers count, but technically they had 4x 20+ ppg scorers, but it was made possible by one of the 20+ scorers (Wilt) only playing a dozen or so games.

so this goes to the heart of the problem of focusing too hard on the numbers. Trying to extract more from a number which means this person scored 21.6 ppg is hard because of what charles barkely says:
an NBA team can just pick someone on the team, and that person will score 20 a game. it could be pretty much anyone on the team. SO being a 20ppg scorer sometimes just means that the team chose you and you are now scoring a lot because of all the strategies developed around that plan.

If randle ends up scoring 20ppg, that doesn't mean he equaled or is better than odom. odom is still better in my mind because if you look at both of them at their first few years, you will see a much more polished product out of odom. And he's longer which is huge in the nba and sports in general. And stats never show odom's value, he's just one of those guys that for sure needs the proper situation and teammates to really see his value in the scoresheet.

so even from their starting points, randle has a long way to go. He's still spazzy and his lack of a solid jumper is going to be a problem. Odom also technically had a problem with his jumper, but in his case, it's less of a problem because you can tell the form is all there and with him it's just he's not a scorer mentality. randle, however, has a scorer's mentality without the skill and agility of odom. that's a problem that if it gets worse...he ends up in dwight howard territory. if i were randle, i'd focus on being a lebron type of player.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
Randle has none.

Prime Kobe would have meant that Randle never gets to touch the ball to develop.

Why would it mean that?
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Lamar seemed out-of-control from time to time ... to me, Randle seems out-of-control (or nearly so) almost every time he touches the ball. At this point, if Randle's ceiling ends up being Odom's prime, I will be relieved beyond belief. I'm fearful that will never come to pass, though ...
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject:

He needs to become better than Odom ever was. If this core will be successful And become contenders he must be an all star.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject:

We had the benefit of seeing an older Lamar. Clippers Lamar was out of control but dazzling at the same time. Randle is effectively in his second year. Give it time to even start making legit comparisons.
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject:

Not even close. I remember prime Odom during our 3 final year runs were such a force. Nope, Randle is not near that level right now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject:

I would say at least 5-6 years away.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject:

LO may not have been mentally aggressive as we'd wished, but I thought he played the game with a great basketball IQ in the pau years. The little plays guys, right pass, tap offensive rebound to someone, d'ing up on a little guy, passing to the cutter. Key plays.

Randle I worry about though I like the guy and his aggression, positive attitude a lot. But I don't get the natural instinct for the game feel from him, like you do with Ingram and DLo. Clarkson is less than those guys in that way as well. And LO defensively was night and day with Randle. So I can't put him in the LO class or even style at all, especially considering LO's versatility everywhere, on defense too. You could pretty much plug Lamar on any team and he could contribute nicely.

I have a lot of hope for Randle's development though. And he will have a lot more consistency in his career, along with overall maturity perhaps. Hope he just keeps working which they all say, but working intelligently and thoughtfully on his game, and on D for sure.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
LO may not have been mentally aggressive as we'd wished, but I thought he played the game with a great basketball IQ in the pau years. The little plays guys, right pass, tap offensive rebound to someone, d'ing up on a little guy, passing to the cutter. Key plays.

Randle I worry about though I like the guy and his aggression, positive attitude a lot. But I don't get the natural instinct for the game feel from him, like you do with Ingram and DLo. Clarkson is less than those guys in that way as well. And LO defensively was night and day with Randle. So I can't put him in the LO class or even style at all, especially considering LO's versatility everywhere, on defense too. You could pretty much plug Lamar on any team and he could contribute nicely.

I have a lot of hope for Randle's development though. And he will have a lot more consistency in his career, along with overall maturity perhaps. Hope he just keeps working which they all say, but working intelligently and thoughtfully on his game, and on D for sure.

Yep. Remember when LO was a valuable contributor for the 2010 USA team that won the World Championship? People harping on his mental lapses and weaknesses are either choosing to do that or have forgotten the unique talent he was. If Randle can have that type of impact for us, we'll be in excellent shape.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject:

He never will be. Doesn't have the same court vision, passing, handles, length, or even shooting.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
focus wrote:

Yep. Remember when LO was a valuable contributor for the 2010 USA team that won the World Championship? People harping on his mental lapses and weaknesses are either choosing to do that or have forgotten the unique talent he was. If Randle can have that type of impact for us, we'll be in excellent shape.

True. Impact is the better word...it's possible for Randle to have a similar impact without actually having to be better than Odom. I honestly don't think he will ever be better than Odom, except for one category: leadership mentality. and that alone can bring along the desired impact. I wouldn't expect randle to be the rebounder and versatile talent Odom was. But he can still rebound very well, and in this new NBA, he can use his teammates to cover up his weaknesses like jumpshots and stuff...this is what Lebron does. This was less possible 15 years ago.

And just to dig at Lebron and Duncan a little more...Back in the 04 Olympics, I believe, Larry Brown called LO his best player (and not Duncan or lebron or anyone else). And it was mostly because of his rebounding I think. That's how bad Duncan was, btw...the best rebounder on the team was more valuable to the coach than supposedly the mvp of the nba. i think carmelo played better than duncan also.
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject:

If Randle becomes as good as Odom in his prime, I'll be happy. Don't think he'll ever be an All-Star though. He's still got a long way to go in terms of shooting, low post game, passing, and court vision. The game definitely doesn't come as easily to him as it did LO.

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject:

Bad comparison! Randle is not a new version of LO. Randle is ultimately a low post presence, but his main problem is that he needs room to operate. if you put him down their with another low post player their will be issues. He needs to develop a mid-range jumper as well as a 3-ball so that he can spread the floor, but I don't think that will do it either.
Randle plays too much out of control when the ball is in his hands, I wouldn't be surprised if he's trade bate.
Once again if he had a 3-ball and mid-range jumper, he could play the Draymond Green Role in this new system.
lakerhaterhater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject:

I don't see that happening unfortunately. LO had smarts JR just doesn't.

I think its still possible though for Randle to equal and surpass Odom in the ppg department.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject:

Odom came into the league and dominated with a similar position of playing on a short handed team. He played with a complete game of balance and was the team star. With rookies Darius Miles, Quentin Richardson and Keyon Dooling along with the addition of Corey Maggette, the Clippers were a young team. Lamar Odom had a strong second season leading the team in scoring and rebounding as the Clippers doubled their previous season's win total finishing sixth in the Pacific Division with a 31–51 record. Randle in his second year was still recovering from a terrible injury. I think you might remember Odom as a 6th man utility but as a rookie at Randles age Odom was the franchise player. On the court when Odom transitioned to 6th man, opponents always knew how good he was. Randle doesn't carry that earned reputation of menace to opposing teams.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
Randle has none.

Yeah, kinda like Bynum.

Oh wait.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
KBH wrote:
focus wrote:

True. Impact is the better word...it's possible for Randle to have a similar impact without actually having to be better than Odom. I honestly don't think he will ever be better than Odom, except for one category: leadership mentality. and that alone can bring along the desired impact. I wouldn't expect randle to be the rebounder and versatile talent Odom was. But he can still rebound very well, and in this new NBA, he can use his teammates to cover up his weaknesses like jumpshots and stuff...this is what Lebron does. This was less possible 15 years ago.

And just to dig at Lebron and Duncan a little more...Back in the 04 Olympics, I believe, Larry Brown called LO his best player (and not Duncan or lebron or anyone else). And it was mostly because of his rebounding I think. That's how bad Duncan was, btw...the best rebounder on the team was more valuable to the coach than supposedly the mvp of the nba. i think carmelo played better than duncan also.

Didn't LO have like 4 games in a row with 20 rebounds or something maybe when Pau was hurt? Lamar just seemed to do the right things on the court once he matured some.

Actually wouldn't be surprised if Julius has 20 rebound games couple times a season. His motor is special. Just hope he can use that motor to improve defensive fundamentals, and his shot fundamentals (which sounds like is going well)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10
Jump to: