How good would Bynum have been if he had healthy knees?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
55 wrote:
For the most accurate answer, I would contact Rick12321312312312312331.

You've reached a number that is no longer in service.............

RIP Rick1232132131211123211121111. All user names should be verified by an admin.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject:

This was Andrew during his last healthy year, putting a 37 and 16 on that year's DPOY.

The crazy size and length combined with those feet and the soft touch were too much to handle. A healthy Drew would still be dominating, imo.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
This was Andrew during his last healthy year, putting a 37 and 16 on that year's DPOY.

The crazy size and length combined with those feet and the soft touch were too much to handle. A healthy Drew would still be dominating, imo.

That was after the 2 knee surgeries too when his mobility was already starting to give way.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject:

5 games after the 30 rbs & 16 pts, he put up 2 rbs & 17 pts against that same team. That sums up Bynum really well - great game followed by lackluster performance.

But his overall stats that year were really good.
"When healthy" was always the issue with this kid.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

I was not a huge Bynum fan but when he was on, he was so good. Great in the post and nice hands.
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Forgot about his soft hands. After Kwame, it was a miracle...pretty amazing when you think about it that someone so "unschooled" in the game of basketball would have such a feather touch. We were watching one of the great ones.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

I still remember that 2008 Philly game where he dunked with his right hand before the Pau trade and before his first knee problem. The summer after Kobe was angry about the direction. Bynum was looking dominant and the #2 Kobe was looking for. That Philly game in particular I saw our future superstar (beyond Pau level IMO) to pair with Kobe. Kobe was getting the guy he could rely on. Woulda been special. After the injury, then the next ones, it was mostly flashes of that arc he was on. They might not even have needed the Pau trade with LO and a healthy Bynum. Guy was 20 years old, had a brain, patience on D, length, touch, moves, and for a while determined.
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
I still remember that 2008 Philly game where he dunked with his right hand before the Pau trade and before his first knee problem. The summer after Kobe was angry about the direction. Bynum was looking dominant and the #2 Kobe was looking for. That Philly game in particular I saw our future superstar (beyond Pau level IMO) to pair with Kobe. Kobe was getting the guy he could rely on. Woulda been special. After the injury, then the next ones, it was mostly flashes of that arc he was on. They might not even have needed the Pau trade with LO and a healthy Bynum. Guy was 20 years old, had a brain, patience on D, length, touch, moves, and for a while determined.

You guys remember when we and the league were so psyched/scared about the "twin towers" 7-foot lineup of Pau and Andrew? Those days of thinking you would dominate the league with two bigs are long gone...Philly, if they got their centers healthy, would have the next ones.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject:

He'd have been neck and neck with Dwight as best center in the league.

He wasn't the defender Dwight was, but he was a solid one when healthy, and he had a better post game than Dwight could imagine and you could go to him late in games cause he hit free throws.

He'd have been solid.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject:

lakerlove123 wrote:
focus wrote:

You guys remember when we and the league were so psyched/scared about the "twin towers" 7-foot lineup of Pau and Andrew? Those days of thinking you would dominate the league with two bigs are long gone...Philly, if they got their centers healthy, would have the next ones.

If Steven Adams and Enes Kanter can terrorize Golden State to a 3-1 deficit, imagine what Pau, Bynum and Odom would have done.

It ain't long gone, just not as many dominant ones on the best teams anymore.
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lakerlove123 wrote:
focus wrote:

If Steven Adams and Enes Kanter can terrorize Golden State to a 3-1 deficit, imagine what Pau, Bynum and Odom would have done.

yup
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
70sdude wrote:
His mental approach to the sport seemed to have limited his career arc as much as his knees. Pretty poor attitude.

Didn't everyone here think he had a great attitude up until Mike Brown became head coach? I think it was a combination of bad coaching and frustration over injuries that led to his poor attitude. I wonder what someone like Popovich could have done for him.

They did a good job of shielding him from the interviewers who ask provocative and candid questions.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject:

thurloly wrote:
Bynum has the physical and skill to be a superstar big if he has good knee.
Before the first injury, when he cracked his patella landing on Lamar's foot, he was really good. Elite size, really good hands, and soft touch around the basket. If he stayed healthy, the guy could've been the top 1 or 2 center in the league easy.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject:

He was averaging like 17-10-2 and leading the league in dunks in his recent games before his first injury against Memphis. Whether he was going to lose motivation or not is unknown, but he had the talent to be at least a 20-10-2 center with good athleticism and scoring efficiency.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Better than D12 right now if his knees weren't shot.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject:

Healthy? Both mental and physical? If he could give you 18-10 not healthy one can only imagine healthy and with the right attitude. He could have stopped all this small ball nonsense by himself and named in one breath with the great names.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Without the injuries a 22/10/2 top 8 player in the league. Good enough to be a 2nd option on a championship team.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Just wasted his talent
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject:

He was the last guy to snag 30 boards in a game and one of only two to do 30 in the last 20 yrs. Other? K-Luv, 31. (Drummond, Vucevic, and MozGOD all did 29 if you're more general than technical). Timofey is gonna do 30 with us. He's just waiting.

The 2007/08 Drew pre-injury brings a tear to the eye to watch. Perfect weight, mobile, ran floor. Not a damn plodder the type our training staff has seemed to encourage a number of our 4s and 5s to become since the 90s.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lakerlove123 wrote:
focus wrote:

Enes Kanter played, like, 12 minutes per game against the Warriors. Adams was good as always but he didn't terrorize anyone.

Maybe you're thinking of the Spurs series, but that team had some serious issues that meant they couldn't exploit the Thunder twin towers. Smart coaching by Donovan but that came down to poor roster flexibility. Not enough shooting, and not enough guard penetration. They lived and later died by Aldridge and Leonard ISOs/ postups, which plays into the hand of such a big roster.

There's a reason Kanter hardly played against the Warriors, though.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Healthy Bynum, I feel Kobe wins 3-4 titles post-Shaq instead of those 2 and that humiliating showing against BOS 08.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
He'd have been neck and neck with Dwight as best center in the league.

He wasn't the defender Dwight was, but he was a solid one when healthy, and he had a better post game than Dwight could imagine and you could go to him late in games cause he hit free throws.

He'd have been solid.

He was on track to be as big a defensive force as Dwight prior to the knee injuries. Drew used to have the mobility to check smaller, mobile bigs like prime Bosh and JO on the perimeter. The knee injuries not only took away his hops but his ability to move laterally.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Without the injuries a 22/10/2 top 8 player in the league. Good enough to be a 2nd option on a championship team.

You're lowballing Drew big time. I'd put money on a healthy Drew dropping 25/12/2.5. He put up 19/12/2 during his last healthy year despite 2 major knee surgeries, and he was more of a 2A/2B option along with Pau that year rather than a legit #2.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, as a Lakers fan of nearly 30 years, Drew remaining healthy is probably the biggest "what if" for me. I think having to fight back from those knee injuries really sucked the joy of basketball out of him. A healthy Drew probably has a career arc similar to Zo on the low end or Ewing on the high end.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Top 8 player in the league isn't a 2nd option.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: