Kobe, Letter to my younger self
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Kobe, Letter to my younger self

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/kobe-bryant-letter-to-my-younger-self/

excellent read and such great advice
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject:

Not sure how I feel about him throwing his family drama out there, but perhaps it was therapeutic for him.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject:

kobe types to much
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject:

Sounds more like a letter to his parents and siblings than to his younger self lol

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject:

Still not too late Kobe. You can set them up with some businesses.
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject:

I look at this letter as maybe a sign he's reconciled with them somewhat? (would hope that is the case)
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:

Kobe is missed to much
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

ouch he basically called his family leaches who got used to with a sense of entitlement of his handouts and were left with resentment and without a clue of how to support themselves after he cut them off
this probably should have been a private discussion with his family

Last edited by audioaxes on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:39 am; edited 2 times in total
I Bleed P&G
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
Sounds more like a letter to his parents and siblings than to his younger self lol

Sounds like advice to the young athletes coming into the league.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject:

Overall theme is, "Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime."
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject:

You only live one life. Your success is an anomaly because you're part of the 1%. I would spoil my parents and relatives unless they're making a major dent in my wealth where I cannot set-up my children. So I would only agree with Kobe if his family was making a major dent in his wealth. Otherwise, I just don't understand wealthy people who hoard so much asset. You hear it all the time, so and so is worth this and that much. And it's jaw-dropping because you're not going to be able to use it all in your life, and you're not going to be able to take it with you when you leave this world. I just can never fathom getting into money arguments with my parents if I'm part of the 1%.

And the problem with convincing people that you're cutting them off for their own good is that it's general knowledge that rich people like to become richer. It's never enough for wealthy people. They keep building their empire because they have the means to do so. It takes money to make money, that's why these people keep getting wealthier. One day, Kobe will be an old man with all this money and he may regret that he even had these fights with his parents when they were a live.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject:

I Bleed P&G wrote:
Andre2K wrote:

Sounds like advice to the young athletes coming into the league.

Much needed advice. And not just for athletes. Money really can change a family dynamic...and not always for the better. I still think his folks were really eff'd up for that...selling his stuff behind his back WHO DOES THAT?? What do you tell yourself as a parent to make that okay? It was so spiteful, very atypical of parents. And then they go and screw it up for his sisters. They was getting taken care of too and Kobe had to cut everybody off so that money would no longer be the currency (pun intended) in their relationship.
Spill512
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
You only live one life. Your success is an anomaly because you're part of the 1%. I would spoil my parents and relatives unless they're making a major dent in my wealth where I cannot set-up my children. So I would only agree with Kobe if his family was making a major dent in his wealth. Otherwise, I just don't understand wealthy people who hoard so much asset. You hear it all the time, so and so is worth this and that much. And it's jaw-dropping because you're not going to be able to use it all in your life, and you're not going to be able to take it with you when you leave this world. I just can never fathom getting into money arguments with my parents if I'm part of the 1%.

And the problem with convincing people that you're cutting them off for their own good is that it's general knowledge that rich people like to become richer. It's never enough for wealthy people. They keep building their empire because they have the means to do so. It takes money to make money, that's why these people keep getting wealthier. One day, Kobe will be an old man with all this money and he may regret that he even had these fights with his parents when they were a live.

But his point wasn't about it creating a dent in his pocket or an unwillingness to give them money, but the fact that just giving them money takes them away from their own personal goals and ambitions and ultimately leaves them to lead less fulfilling lives. I think when Kobe is an old man, he won't look at his money, but the things he's accomplished. And he feels like what he did by handing grown capable adults money time and time again, he took away their ambition to create their own accomplishments because now they just relied on him and he "fed their addiction".

And he said specifically to invest in them. So your point in that it takes money to make money, he said that that he would invest in them.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject:

I remember Kobe said he sent his sister to college and now she has a career and a good job
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

I agree to an extent...
I think parents should be taken care of for life if you are filthy rich. By the time people make a huge amount of money their parents would already be retirement age so they shouldnt have to work another day in their lives.
Siblings and other family is a different story. I would try to set them up with something to give them a helping hand (such as an annuity) or perhaps a lump sum investment into something like a family business where they can run and reap the profits. But I definitely wouldnt have them sitting back living off of my money carefree while I'm out in the world working my behind off to keep my success up.
Same goes the other way for me. If one of my siblings ran into some big time money I would never even think of doing something like quitting my job and trying to live off their money.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
I remember Kobe said he sent his sister to college and now she has a career and a good job

The message of hard work and self reliance is great, I get it. And if his sisters are happy, then great. But it's overrated. Eventually everyone hates 9-5, unless your one of the fortunate ones like Kobe, to be paid for essentially your hobby, what you love doing anyways. So unless, my siblings are truly happy working for other people, 9-5... Me, personally, I would set them up. And the fact that he's still airing this, tells me they're not all on the same page. They are still feuding. Like others have mentioned, this should be private. You're giving good advice, but kinda putting your relatives down.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

I agree to an extent...
I think parents should be taken care of for life if you are filthy rich. By the time people make a huge amount of money their parents would already be retirement age so they shouldnt have to work another day in their lives.
Siblings and other family is a different story. I would try to set them up with something to give them a helping hand (such as an annuity) or perhaps a lump sum investment into something like a family business where they can run and reap the profits. But I definitely wouldnt have them sitting back living off of my money carefree while I'm out in the world working my behind off to keep my success up.
Same goes the other way for me. If one of my siblings ran into some big time money I would never even think of doing something like quitting my job and trying to live off their money.

After reading this, I was reading about Kobe's mom selling off his high school memorabilia. The article was estimating the total of all the items to be about 1.5 million dollars. That is just chump change for Kobe. He could have easily given that amount to them and then some. So it makes me wonder did Kobe not give enough to his parents.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

I agree to an extent...

After reading this, I was reading about Kobe's mom selling off his high school memorabilia. The article was estimating the total of all the items to be about 1.5 million dollars. That is just chump change for Kobe. He could have easily given that amount to them and then some. So it makes me wonder did Kobe not give enough to his parents.

you say its chump change but remember if Kobe, Inc. doesnt take off and I dont know of any products they actually produce or sell, then Kobe as of right now doesnt have an income, so if he didnt save for a rainy day or invest wisely, he still has 3 kids to send to college and "set up" so that money could dry up quickly, theoretically speaking
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
ouch he basically called his family leaches who got used to with a sense of entitlement of his handouts and were left with resentment and without a clue of how to support themselves after he cut them off
this probably should have been a private discussion with his family

knee jerk reaction.

Everyone knows that he had troubles with his father way back at the beginning, when they tried to manage his career and his life.

He pointed out the obvious problems from that, and how he could have avoided them. He points out that it would have saved everyone from the anguish.

I thought the concept was a good concept, and certainly good stuff for our current youngsters to be aware of.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

I agree to an extent...

you say its chump change but remember if Kobe, Inc. doesnt take off and I dont know of any products they actually produce or sell, then Kobe as of right now doesnt have an income, so if he didnt save for a rainy day or invest wisely, he still has 3 kids to send to college and "set up" so that money could dry up quickly, theoretically speaking

I guess my choice of words there wasn't the best suited. More like chump change when it comes to his parents. Also the incident was 3 years ago when Kobe was still in the league.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
pmacla wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

I agree to an extent...

I guess my choice of words there wasn't the best suited. More like chump change when it comes to his parents. Also the incident was 3 years ago when Kobe was still in the league.

if I recall the incident correctly, his mom asked him to buy her a house and Kobe had already bought her a couple so asked why do you need another one, she didnt have a good answer as to why and he said no
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject:

Really good article. Based on my personal experience, Kobe is absolutely right. Although usually it applies the other way around --- parents spoiling their children---, the point is that being gifted everything you want decays your drive and work ethic, and you start taking for granted things that you would otherwise have consistently be happy to have gotten.

There's a reason people such as the Gates and Buffetts plan to donate most of their wealth to charity on their death, instead of giving their kids all that money.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

I agree to an extent...

The amount is irrelevant. It's the fact that they went behind his back. His folks were not homeless. They already had 2 homes (that we know of) bought and paid for by Kobe. And he willing to buy them a 3rd home that they wanted. But they wanted X amount of house and he offered Y amount of house. So their reaction was to go behind his back and sell his stuff. Think about that for minute...your child doesn't give you something that you want, so your response is to nuke the relationship. At what point does gratitude get drowned out by entitlement?? We teach our kids to work hard, and be grateful for the things we are given. Well that should cut both ways, shouldn't it??

Unfortunately, Kobe's parents seem to have extreme reactions when they don't get what they want from him. Look what they did when he married Vanessa...completely removed themselves from his life. There are plenty of people who don't like their kids' choice in a mate, but they don't disown them over it (at least not on this side of the world). Don't get the amount of money they wanted for a 3rd home?? Go behind his back and sell his memorabilia. I mean, c'mon!! Really??!!
fan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject:

My takeaway is that Kobe's bored in retirement
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

I agree to an extent...

The amount is irrelevant. It's the fact that they went behind his back. His folks were not homeless. They already had 2 homes (that we know of) bought and paid for by Kobe. And he willing to buy them a 3rd home that they wanted. But they wanted X amount of house and he offered Y amount of house. So their reaction was to go behind his back and sell his stuff. Think about that for minute...your child doesn't give you something that you want, so your response is to nuke the relationship. At what point does gratitude get drowned out by entitlement?? We teach our kids to work hard, and be grateful for the things we are given. Well that should cut both ways, shouldn't it??

Unfortunately, Kobe's parents seem to have extreme reactions when they don't get what they want from him. Look what they did when he married Vanessa...completely removed themselves from his life. There are plenty of people who don't like their kids' choice in a mate, but they don't disown them over it (at least not on this side of the world). Don't get the amount of money they wanted for a 3rd home?? Go behind his back and sell his memorabilia. I mean, c'mon!! Really??!!

Great point. You answered my question about not giving his parents enough money.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: