Best of All Time vs. Greatest of All Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

I can't think of many instances where a team lost a player of Jordan's caliber and even made it to the playoffs.

I believe Magic left the Lakers and they made the playoffs; ditto Moses with the 76ers; Wilt with the Lakers; and Barkley with Phoenix.

Anyway, I think that about does it for me on this topic.

Sorry, was referring to players when they were still arguably the best player in basketball (emphasis on the bolded). The only one of your examples that would qualify would be Magic. LA did make the playoffs but lost 15 more games than in the prior season. The Bulls lost the arguable GOAT, in his prime, and won 2 less games. When you lose players of that magnitude you expect to see what has happened recently when LeBron switched squads, what happened when Moses left Houston and what will likely happen this year in OKC.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

I can't think of many instances where a team lost a player of Jordan's caliber and even made it to the playoffs.

I believe Magic left the Lakers and they made the playoffs; ditto Moses with the 76ers; Wilt with the Lakers; and Barkley with Phoenix.

Anyway, I think that about does it for me on this topic.

Sorry, was referring to players when they were still arguably the best player in basketball (emphasis on the bolded). The only one of your examples that would qualify would be Magic. LA did make the playoffs but lost 15 more games than in the prior season. The Bulls lost the arguable GOAT, in his prime, and won 2 less games. When you lose players of that magnitude you expect to see what has happened recently when LeBron switched squads, what happened when Moses left Houston and what will likely happen this year in OKC.

Getting awfully nit-picky. But, OK, for people who love time-wasting minutiae for its sake:

Jordan left a team twice (once it made the playoffs, once it didn't)

Moses left a team (it didn't).

Kareem left a team (it made the playoffs)

James left a team twice (it didn't either time)

Magic left a team (it made the playoffs).

So that's what -- about 50-50. Not sure how apples to apples these are since often there a lots of changes in addition to the big guy leaving. And there are weird things -- Kareem didn't made the playoffs in his last year the Bucks but they made it after he left even though their record stayed the same.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: