DeMarcus Cousins favorite team growing up was the Lakers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: DeMarcus Cousins favorite team growing up was the Lakers

Quote:
DeMarcus Cousins ‏@boogiecousins
Favorite team growing up was the Lakers. #CANTBOXBOOGIE
https://twitter.com/boogiecousins/status/756269971727011840

I get the feeling that he'll be our primary target in the 2018 off-season. Which means we'd need to build to a point where we looked like a consistent playoff making team. Which means we've got two seasons to be at least a 47 win team.

Don't know if that's possible, but whether people here love him or hate him, I'm fairly certain he'll be our primary target come the 2018 off-season if the Kings haven't already traded him to a better situation.

The biggest question would be two fold. Would he fit in this system here, and is Luke the right coach that could bring the best out of him.

P.S. So this post/thread is primarily just thoughts on what he's said but also discussing a potential fit, and why he does or doesn't fit Luke's system or why or why you don't think Luke is potentially the right coach for him.

Not for an "I hate Cousins" Crusade, but for actual constructive discussion.

Have fun!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject:

I love Cousins numbers, but I am just not sure on his ability not to self-implode the team...

At 17 wins, I would be willing to take the chance....

Last edited by unleasHell on Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
indyrckstar
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I love Cousins numbers, but I am just no sure on his ability not to self-implode the team...

At 17 wins, I would be willing to take the chance....

Yep

He is a loose cannon. Probably will do some stupid @#% once he makes it to LA.

However, he is a really good player for a position we need. As a current bottom feeder in the league, I am willing to take the chance.

With Cousins and our young nucleus of a roster, we would be in the playoffs IMO.
Jbar805
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject:

Send Randle, Lou Williams, nick young and a first and second round pick.

lol Vlade is way too stubborn to deal with us. He hates us for letting him go.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject:

Part of me wonders if the culture Luke is building, the fun in practice, the focus on winning and the fun atmosphere but also the honesty two-way relationship he has with his players, would be a good one for Cousins.

I keep hearing stories about Luke being the guy that was able to 'get to' Draymond Green and get a character him to fly right, and that he was Green's favorite mentor and considering the yelling match he had with Kerr when Kerr tried to do it, whereas Luke got to him completely and they got very close. So I'm wondering if Luke could create that same kind of relationship with a guy like Cousins that he created with Green and that he seems to be creating with our young core.

Jbar805 wrote:

He's a free agent in two seasons. I'd rather make this team an attractive destination by having our young core start to come into their own and look on the verge of something special, and then pitch to him in free agency.

At that point it's likely not just us pitching to him, but his 'lil bro' Julius Randle, and his mentor Shaq whom he now has a very good relationship with. That's when how well we treated Shaq comes back around hopefully.

Last edited by MJST on Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

Woopty (bleep)
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject:

Twitter AMA with Boogie? This will end well....

Praying for someone to ask: "Describe Vivek Renedive in 3 words"
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject:

Funny, I think Luke is exactly the type of personality.. Cousins would listen and play for... It's just that the Kings are gonna try to screw us... we have a better chance of stealing Gay from SAC.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject:

Mozgov for Boogie
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Part of me wonders if the culture Luke is building, the fun in practice, the focus on winning and the fun atmosphere but also the honesty two-way relationship he has with his players, would be a good one for Cousins.

I keep hearing stories about Luke being the guy that was able to 'get to' Draymond Green and get a character him to fly right, and that he was Green's favorite mentor and considering the yelling match he had with Kerr when Kerr tried to do it, whereas Luke got to him completely and they got very close. So I'm wondering if Luke could create that same kind of relationship with a guy like Cousins that he created with Green and that he seems to be creating with our young core.

Jbar805 wrote:

He's a free agent in two seasons. I'd rather make this team an attractive destination by having our young core start to come into their own and look on the verge of something special, and then pitch to him in free agency.

At that point it's likely not just us pitching to him, but his 'lil bro' Julius Randle, and his mentor Shaq whom he now has a very good relationship with. That's when how well we treated Shaq comes back around hopefully.

But we picked Kobe over him...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject:

Is Shaq still a part of the Kings ownership group?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject:

15 wrote:
Mozgov for Boogie

Back from your ban and this is your first post?

You can do better.

Sacre for Boogie.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

Well hopefully DMC takes it easy again next year and knowing the Kings and their awful team franchise, that shouldn't be hard to do. Stay healthy Cuz and come home to join fellow UK Wildcat Julz in a few!
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
15 wrote:
Mozgov for Boogie

Back from your ban and this is your first post?

You can do better.

Sacre for Boogie.

gotta make up for lost time
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject:

15 wrote:
Mozgov for Boogie

The first thing to cross my mind.

We can throw Julius, Nick, Brown, a first and a second round pick.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject:

Jbar805 wrote:

Vlade doesn't hate the Lakers. He did come back to the Lakers and retired a Laker. He was a scout for them after he retired.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject:

I don't see the rush to acquire Demarcus Cousins right now via trade. He will be 26 years old this year so he's still young and will be 28 in 2018.

Let's sign him in the 2018 Free Agency. Our young core isn't ready to win yet anyway. If they develop into All-Star caliber players by 2018, then he will want to come here and the combined talent could win in 2018-2019. If our players don't develop as we hope, he probably would not come, but the point is moot because we would still be in a rebuilding phase and not ready to win.

Add Cousins in 2018 to our young core should be the strategy.

D'Angelo
JC
Ingram
Randle
Cousins

I'm hoping we can get a high-level wing to start beside Ingram so Clarkson can be a nightmare 6th man off the bench, but we will wait and see on that.

Side Note: Lucky for us, Randle will likely be signed to his new contract during the summer of 2018 so we would have ample amounts of cap space due to a low cap hold on Randle. We sign Cousins first and then can go over the cap to keep Randle since we have his Bird Rights. The following two summers, we can retain D'Angelo, Nance, Ingram, and Clarkson without worrying about the cap because we will have their Bird Rights as well, allowing us to go over the cap to sign them (this is assuming no MAJOR changes to the CBA).
cycl0nus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: DeMarcus Cousins favorite team growing up was the Lakers

MJST wrote:
Quote:
DeMarcus Cousins ‏@boogiecousins
Favorite team growing up was the Lakers. #CANTBOXBOOGIE
https://twitter.com/boogiecousins/status/756269971727011840

I get the feeling that he'll be our primary target in the 2018 off-season. Which means we'd need to build to a point where we looked like a consistent playoff making team. Which means we've got two seasons to be at least a 47 win team.

Don't know if that's possible, but whether people here love him or hate him, I'm fairly certain he'll be our primary target come the 2018 off-season if the Kings haven't already traded him to a better situation.

The biggest question would be two fold. Would he fit in this system here, and is Luke the right coach that could bring the best out of him.

P.S. So this post/thread is primarily just thoughts on what he's said but also discussing a potential fit, and why he does or doesn't fit Luke's system or why or why you don't think Luke is potentially the right coach for him.

Not for an "I hate Cousins" Crusade, but for actual constructive discussion.

Have fun!
in 2018 where is dmc agewise?
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
I don't see the rush to acquire Demarcus Cousins right now via trade. He will be 26 years old this year so he's still young and will be 28 in 2018.

Let's sign him in the 2018 Free Agency. Our young core isn't ready to win yet anyway. If they develop into All-Star caliber players by 2018, then he will want to come here and the combined talent could win in 2018-2019. If our players don't develop as we hope, he probably would not come, but the point is moot because we would still be in a rebuilding phase and not ready to win.

D'Angelo
JC
Ingram
Randle
Cousins

I'm hoping we can get a high-level wing to start beside Ingram so Clarkson can be a nightmare 6th man off the bench, but we will wait and see on that.

Side Note: Lucky for us, Randle will likely be signed to his new contract during the summer of 2018 so we would have ample amounts of cap space due to a low cap hold on Randle. We sign Cousins first and then can go over the cap to keep Randle since we have his Bird Rights. The following two summers, we can retain D'Angelo, Nance, Ingram, and Clarkson without worrying about the cap because we will have their Bird Rights as well, allowing us to go over the cap to sign them (this is assuming no MAJOR changes to the CBA).
it's interesting that there's no mention or reference to Zubac, a very good 19 year old who is better than Bynum at the same age. I believe he's the real deal and that 2 years from now, everyone in the league will know his name. There won't be any reason to be begging for Cousins by that time. Plus, you'd have 2 highly paid centers after Zubac's new contract. Are you going to bench a top paid, talented young backup, or would you just trade him away for a defensive pg like Marcus Banks?

Cousins has too many times where he's frustrated and then quits on plays. I hate playing with anyone who quits while I'm playing hard, and I don't want to watch that person on the Lakers.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:

D'Angelo
JC
Ingram
Randle
Cousins

it's interesting that there's no mention or reference to Zubac, a very good 19 year old who is better than Bynum at the same age. I believe he's the real deal and that 2 years from now, everyone in the league will know his name. There won't be any reason to be begging for Cousins by that time. Plus, you'd have 2 highly paid centers after Zubac's new contract. Are you going to bench a top paid, talented young backup, or would you just trade him away for a defensive pg like Marcus Banks?

Cousins has too many times where he's frustrated and then quits on plays. I hate playing with anyone who quits while I'm playing hard, and I don't want to watch that person on the Lakers.

It lives!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
it's interesting that there's no mention or reference to Zubac, a very good 19 year old who is better than Bynum at the same age. I believe he's the real deal and that 2 years from now, everyone in the league will know his name. There won't be any reason to be begging for Cousins by that time. Plus, you'd have 2 highly paid centers after Zubac's new contract. Are you going to bench a top paid, talented young backup, or would you just trade him away for a defensive pg like Marcus Banks?[/quote]

It's too soon to guess what Zubac will become. He might make a good NBA player or he might flame out (I wouldn't get hot and bothered by a couple of summer league games). At this point, I can't imagine the Lakers consider him a factor in any decision.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
It's interesting that there's no mention or reference to Zubac, a very good 19 year old who is better than Bynum at the same age. I believe he's the real deal and that 2 years from now, everyone in the league will know his name. There won't be any reason to be begging for Cousins by that time. Plus, you'd have 2 highly paid centers after Zubac's new contract. Are you going to bench a top paid, talented young backup, or would you just trade him away for a defensive pg like Marcus Banks?

It's too soon to guess what Zubac will become. He might make a good NBA player or he might flame out (I wouldn't get hot and bothered by a couple of summer league games). At this point, I can't imagine the Lakers consider him a factor in any decision.
It's not too soon to believe that Ingram will be a very good player. Just because he's #2 , while Zubac was 32, doesn't mean that the 32nd pick can't also be projected as a very good player now that people have seen more than just film of him. They both performed against the same summer league competition so you can't credit one and excuse the other.

Bottom line is you can't predict Zubac's #'s, but clearly he shoots well with his back to the basket, facing it, from the free throw line, and has a great touch on hook shots. Also, when you watch how he keeps his body separate from defenders before using his length to block shots, that's something Bynum took time to learn and even Hibbert wasn't good at it. There's a reason Mitch is saying Zubac is better than he thought. Nothing about those factors give any reasonable person cause to believe he's going to flame out.

In the end, the Lakers aren't making a decision today. They have 2 years to see how things turn out so there's no reason to dismiss the possibility that Zubac's play will be a determining factor in whether they pursue Cousins or not.

Last edited by lakersboy on Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

I'd love to see Boogie Cousins in p&g; can't understand this locker room cancer bs said about him. He's done some stupid things early in his career, but to base his entire persona off that is dumb. I'd be pulling my hair out too if I'm mired in the dysfunction that is the Sacramento Kings with Coach Karl prodding my rear end at every given opportunity. Melo had a rocky relationship with Karl, does that make him a distraction in the locker room? He's only 25 and will be 27 when he hits free agency; hopefully we go for him then.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
I'd love to see Boogie Cousins in p&g; can't understand this locker room cancer bs said about him. He's done some stupid things early in his career, but to base his entire persona off that is dumb. I'd be pulling my hair out too if I'm mired in the dysfunction that is the Sacramento Kings with Coach Karl prodding my rear end at every given opportunity. Melo had a rocky relationship with Karl, does that make him a distraction in the locker room? He's only 25 and will be 27 when he hits free agency; hopefully we go for him then.

Dislike /disagreements /not getting along was the accusation before Karl or Westphal. Media reported issues with former college teammates.

Melo has a reputation of being very likeable, something that was just mentioned by a team USA reporter yesterday on a sports talk show I listened to (ESPN).

The quitting I referred to, was last season.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Dislike /disagreements /not getting along was the accusation before Karl or Westphal. Media reported issues with former teammates.

Melo has a reputation of being very likeable, something that was just mentioned by a team USA reporter yesterday on a sports talk show I listened to (ESPN).

The quitting I referred to, was last season.

Can DMC be mercurial and lash out at his teammates from time to time? Yes. Does that make him a terrible teammate? Not necessarily. Cousins has a reputation for demanding the best from his teammates while on the floor if that's a cause for controversy, I'd live with that.

Who were these dudes he fought with and what was the cause? Donte Greene? For making a pass to Tyreke at the end of a game (who missed the game winner) when supposedly Boogie was open.

Just this past season when Rondo played for the Kings everyone (including people on here) was saying it wouldn't bode well for team chemistry. The result? Why not have Rondo explain it from his own first person account:

https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/675158832079859712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Make no mistake, DMC is an a**hole. The same way Rondo is an a**hole and Kobe was an a**hole. I wouldn't mind having these a**holes playing for my team. (Okay maybe not Rondo, b/c we've already got DLo and since he's limited offensively.)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: