DeMarcus Cousins favorite team growing up was the Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:
I don't see the rush to acquire Demarcus Cousins right now via trade. He will be 26 years old this year so he's still young and will be 28 in 2018.

Let's sign him in the 2018 Free Agency. Our young core isn't ready to win yet anyway. If they develop into All-Star caliber players by 2018, then he will want to come here and the combined talent could win in 2018-2019. If our players don't develop as we hope, he probably would not come, but the point is moot because we would still be in a rebuilding phase and not ready to win.

Add Cousins in 2018 to our young core should be the strategy.

D'Angelo
JC
Ingram
Randle
Cousins

I'm hoping we can get a high-level wing to start beside Ingram so Clarkson can be a nightmare 6th man off the bench, but we will wait and see on that.

Side Note: Lucky for us, Randle will likely be signed to his new contract during the summer of 2018 so we would have ample amounts of cap space due to a low cap hold on Randle. We sign Cousins first and then can go over the cap to keep Randle since we have his Bird Rights. The following two summers, we can retain D'Angelo, Nance, Ingram, and Clarkson without worrying about the cap because we will have their Bird Rights as well, allowing us to go over the cap to sign them (this is assuming no MAJOR changes to the CBA).
it's interesting that there's no mention or reference to Zubac, a very good 19 year old who is better than Bynum at the same age. I believe he's the real deal and that 2 years from now, everyone in the league will know his name. There won't be any reason to be begging for Cousins by that time. Plus, you'd have 2 highly paid centers after Zubac's new contract. Are you going to bench a top paid, talented young backup, or would you just trade him away for a defensive pg like Marcus Banks?

Cousins has too many times where he's frustrated and then quits on plays. I hate playing with anyone who quits while I'm playing hard, and I don't want to watch that person on the Lakers.

If you've read my posts on Zubac, I absolutely love him. I think he has unlimited potential. He can be a dominant rim protector who alters and blocks shots. He can potentially defend the P&R at an elite level with his mobility. He can potentially do everything offensively, from scoring in the low post to shooting from the perimeter. I love Zubac.

However, with Zubac at age 21, why not bring in a 28-year-old Cousins? I think his character issues have a lot more to do with the dysfunction in Sacramento. We saw with Mike Malone that he was very committed. I think Luke Walton would get the best out of him. He is also absolutely beloved on Team USA. Also, with both Cousins and Zubac's ability to shoot from the perimeter, they could theoretically form a lethal Twin Towers attack. Zubac or Randle could come off the bench, it wouldn't really matter.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
It's interesting that there's no mention or reference to Zubac, a very good 19 year old who is better than Bynum at the same age. I believe he's the real deal and that 2 years from now, everyone in the league will know his name. There won't be any reason to be begging for Cousins by that time. Plus, you'd have 2 highly paid centers after Zubac's new contract. Are you going to bench a top paid, talented young backup, or would you just trade him away for a defensive pg like Marcus Banks?

It's too soon to guess what Zubac will become. He might make a good NBA player or he might flame out (I wouldn't get hot and bothered by a couple of summer league games). At this point, I can't imagine the Lakers consider him a factor in any decision.
It's not too soon to believe that Ingram will be a very good player. Just because he's #2 , while Zubac was 32, doesn't mean that the 32nd pick can't also be projected as a very good player now that people have seen more than just film of him. They both performed against the same summer league competition so you can't credit one and excuse the other.

Bottom line is you can't predict Zubac's #'s, but clearly he shoots well with his back to the basket, facing it, from the free throw line, and has a great touch on hook shots. Also, when you watch how he keeps his body separate from defenders before using his length to block shots, that's something Bynum took time to learn and even Hibbert wasn't good at it. There's a reason Mitch is saying Zubac is better than he thought. Nothing about those factors give any reasonable person cause to believe he's going to flame out.

In the end, the Lakers aren't making a decision today. They have 2 years to see how things turn out so there's no reason to dismiss the possibility that Zubac's play will be a determining factor in whether they pursue Cousins or not.

I think it's too early to predict how either Zubac or Ingram will turn out. No matter where they're drafted, how much potential they have, or how little is known about them, some guys pan out, some don't. Lots of #2 picks bomb -- Ingram could certainly be one of the bombs.

Unless a guy is a strong NBA player out of the box (the rare case of the Lebrons and Towns), you have to see them cycle through the league, and see how they adjust as they're adjusted to, to begin to get a sense of them. Lots of fans get all hot and bothered based on a couple of preseason games, but I tend to be more patience before forming opinions.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:
I don't see the rush to acquire Demarcus Cousins right now via trade. He will be 26 years old this year so he's still young and will be 28 in 2018.

Let's sign him in the 2018 Free Agency. Our young core isn't ready to win yet anyway. If they develop into All-Star caliber players by 2018, then he will want to come here and the combined talent could win in 2018-2019. If our players don't develop as we hope, he probably would not come, but the point is moot because we would still be in a rebuilding phase and not ready to win.

Add Cousins in 2018 to our young core should be the strategy.

D'Angelo
JC
Ingram
Randle
Cousins

I'm hoping we can get a high-level wing to start beside Ingram so Clarkson can be a nightmare 6th man off the bench, but we will wait and see on that.

Side Note: Lucky for us, Randle will likely be signed to his new contract during the summer of 2018 so we would have ample amounts of cap space due to a low cap hold on Randle. We sign Cousins first and then can go over the cap to keep Randle since we have his Bird Rights. The following two summers, we can retain D'Angelo, Nance, Ingram, and Clarkson without worrying about the cap because we will have their Bird Rights as well, allowing us to go over the cap to sign them (this is assuming no MAJOR changes to the CBA).
it's interesting that there's no mention or reference to Zubac, a very good 19 year old who is better than Bynum at the same age. I believe he's the real deal and that 2 years from now, everyone in the league will know his name. There won't be any reason to be begging for Cousins by that time. Plus, you'd have 2 highly paid centers after Zubac's new contract. Are you going to bench a top paid, talented young backup, or would you just trade him away for a defensive pg like Marcus Banks?

Cousins has too many times where he's frustrated and then quits on plays. I hate playing with anyone who quits while I'm playing hard, and I don't want to watch that person on the Lakers.

If you've read my posts on Zubac, I absolutely love him. I think he has unlimited potential. He can be a dominant rim protector who alters and blocks shots. He can potentially defend the P&R at an elite level with his mobility. He can potentially do everything offensively, from scoring in the low post to shooting from the perimeter. I love Zubac.

However, with Zubac at age 21, why not bring in a 28-year-old Cousins? I think his character issues have a lot more to do with the dysfunction in Sacramento. We saw with Mike Malone that he was very committed. I think Luke Walton would get the best out of him. He is also absolutely beloved on Team USA. Also, with both Cousins and Zubac's ability to shoot from the perimeter, they could theoretically form a lethal Twin Towers attack. Zubac or Randle could come off the bench, it wouldn't really matter.

If Zubac turns out to be a really good center, it would be a redundant use of finances. They could play Cousins at pf, but will they do that IF Randle becomes Jump Shot Julius, and Nance proves to be a solid player?
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
It's interesting that there's no mention or reference to Zubac, a very good 19 year old who is better than Bynum at the same age. I believe he's the real deal and that 2 years from now, everyone in the league will know his name. There won't be any reason to be begging for Cousins by that time. Plus, you'd have 2 highly paid centers after Zubac's new contract. Are you going to bench a top paid, talented young backup, or would you just trade him away for a defensive pg like Marcus Banks?

It's too soon to guess what Zubac will become. He might make a good NBA player or he might flame out (I wouldn't get hot and bothered by a couple of summer league games). At this point, I can't imagine the Lakers consider him a factor in any decision.
It's not too soon to believe that Ingram will be a very good player. Just because he's #2 , while Zubac was 32, doesn't mean that the 32nd pick can't also be projected as a very good player now that people have seen more than just film of him. They both performed against the same summer league competition so you can't credit one and excuse the other.

Bottom line is you can't predict Zubac's #'s, but clearly he shoots well with his back to the basket, facing it, from the free throw line, and has a great touch on hook shots. Also, when you watch how he keeps his body separate from defenders before using his length to block shots, that's something Bynum took time to learn and even Hibbert wasn't good at it. There's a reason Mitch is saying Zubac is better than he thought. Nothing about those factors give any reasonable person cause to believe he's going to flame out.

In the end, the Lakers aren't making a decision today. They have 2 years to see how things turn out so there's no reason to dismiss the possibility that Zubac's play will be a determining factor in whether they pursue Cousins or not.

I think it's too early to predict how either Zubac or Ingram will turn out. No matter where they're drafted, how much potential they have, or how little is known about them, some guys pan out, some don't. Lots of #2 picks bomb -- Ingram could certainly be one of the bombs.

Unless a guy is a strong NBA player out of the box (the rare case of the Lebrons and Towns), you have to see them cycle through the league, and see how they adjust as they're adjusted to, to begin to get a sense of them. Lots of fans get all hot and bothered based on a couple of preseason games, but I tend to be more patience before forming opinions.
There's nothing wrong with having patience. I like to speculate about possibilities of certain players. Sometimes there are guys who havediscernable skills and abilities that translate to the NBA, not just height (Darko) or fancy skills (Crittenton's dribbling). Ingram has them, but only because of his weight, people aren't sure if he's going to find success like Reggie Miller, Prince, Durant, etc. , or be like some who were too thin to make it (see Lakers' 6'11" thin draft pick Earl Jones, drafted the same year as Ewing, who was considered on par with him after high school).

You also have to factor what players say. Nance knows what the league is about and after playing against Ingram, he was calling home about him because he experienced 1st hand that this is no ordinary rookie.

What can't be predicted is how much muscle Zubac will add. If he adds that in the next couple of years, there's no question he'll be a force in the league. His Skills are better than M.Gasol at the same age, but he's more lean than Gasol.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject:

DeMarcus Cousins beaming about Julius Randle at Team USA camp "that's my young buck."

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Paul Pierce's favorite team was the Lakers. I don't see him banging down any doors to sign with us...

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Paul Pierce's favorite team was the Lakers. I don't see him banging down any doors to sign with us...

he's a great example. Of course he's a laker fan, he's from here? How do you grow up in LA in the 80s and not be a huge Laker fan? And then he gets selected by the Celtics and wins a ring with them. And then a Philly boy becomes, as Magic says, the biggest celebrity in LA on the lakers. Pretty crazy stuff. I guess if Kobe were from Boston, it would make it all so perfect.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
15 wrote:
Mozgov for Boogie

Back from your ban and this is your first post?

You can do better.

Sacre for Boogie.

Well he is right!

We can't send a bunch of smalls for Cousins and end up with 4 Centers!

Mosgov wants playing time, well he can get it in Xcremento...!

And it would be hard to send Scare for him when we let him walk away unsigned...
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
Let's sign him in the 2018 Free Agency.
D'Angelo
JC
Ingram
Randle
Cousins

Ok, and if we can sign Westbrook in 2017 Free Agency, this team would be ready to challenge the the Warriors

Westbrook/DLO
D'Angelo/Jordan C
Ingram/Deng
Randle/Deng
Cousins/Zubac

Bring on the Dancing Horses!
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
rwongega wrote:

he's a great example. Of course he's a laker fan, he's from here? How do you grow up in LA in the 80s and not be a huge Laker fan? And then he gets selected by the Celtics and wins a ring with them. And then a Philly boy becomes, as Magic says, the biggest celebrity in LA on the lakers. Pretty crazy stuff. I guess if Kobe were from Boston, it would make it all so perfect.

Philly has a love/hate relationship with Kobe though. Most natives consider him a foreign import who only briefly spent time in the posher suburbs away from the inner city. Not sure they've forgiven him for the 'cut your hearts out' comments during the '01 finals.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:

i like zubac a lot but if we have a chance to get cousins in 2018 u go for it. Him being on team USA will do wonders for him I think too being around veteran guys who can show him how to be a leader.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:

I think Cousins is still a real trade target for the Lakers and his situation in Sacramento is one I think we will continue monitoring. I don't think we'd give up Russell or Ingram for him, but I think anyone else on the roster is up if the Kings engaged in talks with us for Cousins.

A core four of Russell, Ingram, Cousins, and Westbrook by free agency would be and should be the Lakers plan.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Not a big deal. Fandom changes when these players have their own personal stake. DMC probably only cares about the team he plays for at the moment.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
I'd love to see Boogie Cousins in p&g; can't understand this locker room cancer bs said about him. He's done some stupid things early in his career, but to base his entire persona off that is dumb. I'd be pulling my hair out too if I'm mired in the dysfunction that is the Sacramento Kings with Coach Karl prodding my rear end at every given opportunity. Melo had a rocky relationship with Karl, does that make him a distraction in the locker room? He's only 25 and will be 27 when he hits free agency; hopefully we go for him then.

Dislike /disagreements /not getting along was the accusation before Karl or Westphal. Media reported issues with former teammates.

Melo has a reputation of being very likeable, something that was just mentioned by a team USA reporter yesterday on a sports talk show I listened to (ESPN).

The quitting I referred to, was last season.

Can DMC be mercurial and lash out at his teammates from time to time? Yes. Does that make him a terrible teammate? Not necessarily. Cousins has a reputation for demanding the best from his teammates while on the floor if that's a cause for controversy, I'd live with that.

Who were these dudes he fought with and what was the cause? Donte Greene? For making a pass to Tyreke at the end of a game (who missed the game winner) when supposedly Boogie was open.

Just this past season when Rondo played for the Kings everyone (including people on here) was saying it wouldn't bode well for team chemistry. The result? Why not have Rondo explain it from his own first person account:

https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/675158832079859712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Make no mistake, DMC is an a**hole. The same way Rondo is an a**hole and Kobe was an a**hole. I wouldn't mind having these a**holes playing for my team. (Okay maybe not Rondo, b/c we've already got DLo and since he's limited offensively.)

my feelings also. cousins is a Talent with a capital T. I started following him after hearing about all the problems he was having. they are blown way out of proportion, at least the stuff on the basketball court. He is easily the most talented center-sized big man right now. AD is the only competition, but he's a different kind of player.

If we can get cousins, we should. And no complaining!! Who cares about his personality? It's not toxic during a basketball game; if you don't think so, just watch a few. THis guy is being underrated; probably a casualty of the massive overhyping of others like Lebron and Curry. This guy is up there with them, just without the hype. He will make a high seed playoff team a dominant favorite in my opinion. similar to how durant joining the warriors just kind of ruins the league.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject:

I would trade for him now if we didn't have to give up our 2 studs. @MJST the waiting game for a FA is ok to do for one year, but waiting for a guy 2 years down the road -- na I rather win more in those two years. (If we don't have to give up DLo or Ingram) . But that's doubtful, although we could luck into a top 3 pick this year with ping pong help.

I was worried that Boogie certainly won't be in his physical prime for all of his next contract - but then I realized that he'd still be as athletic and more of a floor stretcher than Marc Gasol. Cuz would just have to adjust his game a bit. He wasn't healthy at all this year, feet problems, so.. To be safe I wouldn't prefer to wait to nab him
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I would trade for him now if we didn't have to give up our 2 studs. @MJST the waiting game for a FA is ok to do for one year, but waiting for a guy 2 years down the road -- na I rather win more in those two years. (If we don't have to give up DLo or Ingram) . But that's doubtful, although we could luck into a top 3 pick this year with ping pong help.

I was worried that Boogie certainly won't be in his physical prime for all of his next contract - but then I realized that he'd still be as athletic and more of a floor stretcher than Marc Gasol. Cuz would just have to adjust his game a bit. He wasn't healthy at all this year, feet problems, so.. To be safe I wouldn't prefer to wait to nab him

If you could do a Randle + filler or something like that, that would definitely be worth it. You can very confidently say Randle will never be like Cousins, and they are both big bodies with other less important differences. Giving up ingram or Dlo would be more risky since they are not just big bruisers like randle and cousins (although cousins is not super aggressive). All I'm saying is that giving up randle for cousins, we wouldn't lose much and have a ton to gain. DLO, COusins, ingram, clarkson, and filler is for sure a scary contender. they can all shoot with cousins being elite for a big man, dlo looks to be elite, and ingram is expected to be elite. clarkson, not an elite shooter, but elite hustler and very good besides.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: DeMarcus Cousins favorite team growing up was the Lakers

MJST wrote:
Quote:
DeMarcus Cousins ‏@boogiecousins
Favorite team growing up was the Lakers. #CANTBOXBOOGIE
https://twitter.com/boogiecousins/status/756269971727011840

I get the feeling that he'll be our primary target in the 2018 off-season. Which means we'd need to build to a point where we looked like a consistent playoff making team. Which means we've got two seasons to be at least a 47 win team.

Don't know if that's possible, but whether people here love him or hate him, I'm fairly certain he'll be our primary target come the 2018 off-season if the Kings haven't already traded him to a better situation.

The biggest question would be two fold. Would he fit in this system here, and is Luke the right coach that could bring the best out of him.

P.S. So this post/thread is primarily just thoughts on what he's said but also discussing a potential fit, and why he does or doesn't fit Luke's system or why or why you don't think Luke is potentially the right coach for him.

Not for an "I hate Cousins" Crusade, but for actual constructive discussion.

Have fun!

I don't know if Luke is the right coach for him but if that is in doubt, you don't sign Cousins. Cousins would not only have to change his behavior but also his play on the floor, he is currently too selfish.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:

Let's sign him in the 2018 Free Agency.

Well that is the premise of the thread, I guess a lot of people fail reading.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

The Lakers will have an idea on Zubac by 2018.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Kobe's favorite team was the Lakers.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

If you could do a Randle + filler or something like that, that would definitely be worth it. You can very confidently say Randle will never be like Cousins, and they are both big bodies with other less important differences. Giving up ingram or Dlo would be more risky since they are not just big bruisers like randle and cousins (although cousins is not super aggressive). All I'm saying is that giving up randle for cousins, we wouldn't lose much and have a ton to gain. DLO, COusins, ingram, clarkson, and filler is for sure a scary contender. they can all shoot with cousins being elite for a big man, dlo looks to be elite, and ingram is expected to be elite. clarkson, not an elite shooter, but elite hustler and very good besides.

yea we'd have to trade a lot more than Randle my man . just like the Blazers would have to trade a lot more than Lilliard to get Curry haha

Randle, Clarkson, Nance, Zubac. All of em would have to go probably. And I'd do it. for sure. Doubt that'd even be enough. The Kings are so damn tired of being the Kings, they want proven players and improvement.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject:

A lot of players favorite team are the Lakers. We have to start winning consistently before stars want to sign here.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject:

I think if you add Cousins and George to our current core they could be great.

Russell
Ingram
George
Nance
Cousins

Love that starting line.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: