Laker Film Room: Summer League in Review - D'Angelo Russell (Re-posted, pg. 3)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Laker Film Room: Summer League in Review - D'Angelo Russell (Re-posted, pg. 3)

https://vimeo.com/177193792

Last edited by GoldenThroat on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject:

GT the man.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject:

On point. Keep the haters hating.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Nice job GT!

But next time, you have to incorporate all parts of his game.

You missed his hair game in the video.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Fantastic vid, GT! The criticism of Russell's defense must've been annoying for you to read, as I remember you preaching this. I'll admit I didn't get the ice misreads at all. It looks like I blamed Russell too much and gave Nance too much credit.

Appreciate it as always
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Fantastic vid, GT! The criticism of Russell's defense must've been annoying for you to read, as I remember you preaching this. I'll admit I didn't get the ice misreads at all. It looks like I blamed Russell too much and gave Nance too much credit.

Appreciate it as always

Awesome, glad you made it that far into the video.

This vid makes Nance look worse than he was. He was fantastic on the defensive end for the most part, but when there were miscommunications w/Russell, it was usually him and occasionally Auguste. Being that it's a Russell vid, that's all that really made it in to that end.

I can't say with certainty what our pick & roll coverage was supposed to be, and it could have been Russell who was messing up. But I hope the video at least demonstrates how often it was a communication error rather than a lack of capability.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject:

GT with the goods
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject:

20 minutes of GT talking about his son
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Great analysis GT. Thanks
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject:

sticky.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject:

The ICE portion of the video was very enlightening.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Very well done. I also see Zubac as an integral part of the offense in the future. I think he'll end up as starting C in a few seasons. He'll only enhance Russell's game in the future.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait to watch!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Professional grade stuff. Really enjoyed that GT.

Does it make me look bad to say I want to watch it again 10 minutes after watching it the first time? In my defense SPCM is one of the best songs ever.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Professional grade stuff. Really enjoyed that GT.

Does it make me look bad to say I want to watch it again 10 minutes after watching it the first time? In my defense SPCM is one of the best songs ever.

That whole album, man...
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject:

GT - every time I watch your videos I pick up at least 3 bbIQ points, sometimes more. Only about 50 more videos and I'll be a freakin' BB Isaac Newton!! So much knowledge my head's gonna splode!

OK seriously great breakdown. Really clear. I particularly liked the section explaining options in how to defend the P&R. I'm going to guess that with more time together Nance and hopefully Randle will be on the same page with DLO if the intent is to ice it. I wasn't expecting Zubac to look like he's ahead of the game in this regard. Great to see.

It'll be interesting to see where DLO improves this coming season, beyond the more obvious components of posting up, midrange/three point accuracy and ball handling. Communication, training and familiarity will cure some ills, but how DLO slips picks to stay on the ball handler, does he make a better effort to square himself in front of the defender in transition (might be easier said than done?), and does he fix his tendency to ball watch? And can he reel in his tendency to dribble too far into the teeth of the defense? Now I'm interested in seeing how he responds to these challenges.

Good stuff GT - keep them coming when you have the time and thanks!!
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject:

This was an informative breakdown. It will be interesting to see how Russell performs next season.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:
20 minutes of GT talking about his son

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
tox wrote:

Appreciate it as always

Awesome, glad you made it that far into the video.

This vid makes Nance look worse than he was. He was fantastic on the defensive end for the most part, but when there were miscommunications w/Russell, it was usually him and occasionally Auguste. Being that it's a Russell vid, that's all that really made it in to that end.

I can't say with certainty what our pick & roll coverage was supposed to be, and it could have been Russell who was messing up. But I hope the video at least demonstrates how often it was a communication error rather than a lack of capability.

Ha yeah, I watch your vids straight through when they come. They're that interesting

But yeah, regardless of whose fault it is, miscommunication is the best possible cause of a breakdown, given our good coaching staff. Definitely encouraging to hear.

Quick question: is P&R coverage read-and-react, i.e. depending on who is the screener and where it's taking place, you run different coverage options? Or is it more that teams tend to run one kind of coverage option all game (or half) for the most part?

Like when DLO is barking out "ice ice" is he telling Nance what to do, or is he reaffirming that their coverage option is ice?

The way you worded the last paragraph suggests the latter, which makes it weird there would be any miscommunication since there isn't that much room for error.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Ha yeah, I watch your vids straight through when they come. They're that interesting

But yeah, regardless of whose fault it is, miscommunication is the best possible cause of a breakdown, given our good coaching staff. Definitely encouraging to hear.

Quick question: is P&R coverage read-and-react, i.e. depending on who is the screener and where it's taking place, you run different coverage options? Or is it more that teams tend to run one kind of coverage option all game (or half) for the most part?

Like when DLO is barking out "ice ice" is he telling Nance what to do, or is he reaffirming that their coverage option is ice?

The way you worded the last paragraph suggests the latter, which makes it weird there would be any miscommunication since there isn't that much room for error.

That's a great question. PnR coverages are mostly predetermined. A few random thoughts...

-It's gonna depend on who you're going up against. If Ben Simmons is the screener, you're going to want to run PnR coverages that protect the paint, and surrender a jumper (Ice, Soft Hedge, for example). If it's Channing Frye, you don't.

-It also depends on what your guys can do. Cleveland KILLED us when we soft hedged every time, but a guy like Zubac can only run a couple of PnR coverages because he's not going to be able to defend the perimeter. Conversely, you can switch some stuff with Randle because he has good feet and can defend the perimeter.

-In both of those cases, those are things that you'll determine before the game. So Russell yelling out "Ice, Ice, Ice" would be more of a reinforcement that he's on the same page as the big man defender rather than it being a decision in the moment.

-It's more common to see Ice against a Side PnR than it is a High PnR up top.

-There is some read & react component to it as well though. Say you're in a Soft Hedge coverage, but if the guard just got cracked on the screen he might yell out for the Switch because he knows he won't recover in time.

-Switching up PnR coverages throughout the game is one of the bigger adjustments that a coach can make defensively. NBA level coaches will figure out what you're doing and then start running stuff/putting in personnel that counters it. PnR play is one of the cat & mouse games in the NBA.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
tox wrote:

That's a great question. PnR coverages are mostly predetermined. A few random thoughts...

-It's gonna depend on who you're going up against. If Ben Simmons is the screener, you're going to want to run PnR coverages that protect the paint, and surrender a jumper (Ice, Soft Hedge, for example). If it's Channing Frye, you don't.

-It also depends on what your guys can do. Cleveland KILLED us when we soft hedged every time, but a guy like Zubac can only run a couple of PnR coverages because he's not going to be able to defend the perimeter. Conversely, you can switch some stuff with Randle because he has good feet and can defend the perimeter.

-In both of those cases, those are things that you'll determine before the game. So Russell yelling out "Ice, Ice, Ice" would be more of a reinforcement that he's on the same page as the big man defender rather than it being a decision in the moment.

-It's more common to see Ice against a Side PnR than it is a High PnR up top.

-There is some read & react component to it as well though. Say you're in a Soft Hedge coverage, but if the guard just got cracked on the screen he might yell out for the Switch because he knows he won't recover in time.

-Switching up PnR coverages throughout the game is one of the bigger adjustments that a coach can make defensively. NBA level coaches will figure out what you're doing and then start running stuff/putting in personnel that counters it. PnR play is one of the cat & mouse games in the NBA.

Thanks for the breakdown, GT! I feel like Julius Randle, and I'm finally getting the coaching I didn't get in youth bball and high school lol.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Thanks for the breakdown, GT! I feel like Julius Randle, and I'm finally getting the coaching I didn't get in youth bball and high school lol.

Happy to help. I'm still learning too.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject:

SO GOOD! Loving these I learn so much! Like I've never known exactly what a pocket pass meant. Yay! (and the music selections were fab)
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Russ 19ppg 5rebs 5ast
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: