Where Does Lou Williams Fit with this New Lakers Team?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject:

CLW will introduce a modernized style of play that requires more passing, teamwork and defensive pressure on both ends of the floor.
This change in philosophy will obviously make the Lakers more interesting to fans as well as future free agents.

Last season the Lakers had the dubious distinction of leading the NBA in possessions that ended in iso-ball and Lou Williams was, of course, a big part of that ball-dominate stat line.

It has been well documented that Lou’s game relies heavily on him creating his own shot.
In fact “160 of his 283 made field goals last season were unassisted and 48.5 percent of his shot attempts were on pull-up jumpers (NBA.com).”

However he had his moments and was our third leading scorer with a 99.6 offensive rating last season.

That being said, if he is going to be effective in Luke’s schemes, he will have to tweak his game to become more team oriented.
He'll have to pass up decent looks and iso-ball in order to get an even better look for an open teammate. Of course he will also have to put forth a better defensive effort to be effective.

Overall I believe that once Lou buys in to Luke’s plan and returns to his comfort zone (sixth man role) he can help the team immensely as a potent offensive spark. If it doesn't work out, no problem, he has value and could be traded away for assets or a defensive minded guard.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject:

He fits playing 15 to 20 minutes. Any more and I will spend another season complaining about his standing around and flopping.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject:

This guy on a GSW system is a 14ppg on very good %. He likes IsO? Good we need a creator off the bench
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject:

He'll play the Barbosa role but better.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject:

Lou's probably still a good second team asset for the LAL. In this setting of the salary inflation this Summer, he's instantly been made something of a bargain. He's no answer to the future, but he'll do - for now.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject:

He'll do what he always does, get buckets off the bench. Hopefully Calderon will provide some spacing and create for others in the second unit..
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
This guy on a GSW system is a 14ppg on very good %. He likes IsO? Good we need a creator off the bench

Just one tiny requirement that you left out: GSW plays defense. They don't have a player smaller than 6'3'' in their rotation and for good reason. Due to his size and lack of versatility, Lou would not see the light of day on that roster.

Lakers won't be the Mike D'Antoni Suns, which Lou would have been perfect for. Everything begins on the defensive end according to Luke.

I don't see how Lou fits into any championship caliber team tbh. Even the pseudo-contenders in the Raptors and Hawks had far more success without his bench scoring dynamic.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

paolomagma wrote:
Precisely what I think. At a bargain.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
paolomagma wrote:

Sorry to repeat myself (due to my lengthy post now looking at it) but an effective bargain 18mpg player could be a really good 30mpg 4th scorer on another team. Lou may be effective, but even if he works out I don't know if they're getting enough out of him vs having an ideal fit in a Thabo type.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
paolomagma wrote:

Sorry to repeat myself (due to my lengthy post now looking at it) but an effective bargain 18mpg player could be a really good 30mpg 4th scorer on another team. Lou may be effective, but even if he works out I don't know if they're getting enough out of him vs having an ideal fit in a Thabo type.
I hear you, but at 7 million and if he can maintain his offensive production along with being regulated back to his 6th man minutes, I think his returns will be nice.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
paolomagma wrote:

I hear you, but at 7 million and if he can maintain his offensive production along with being regulated back to his 6th man minutes, I think his returns will be nice.

That's the thing, a typical 6th man gets what 24-30mpg? A lot can happen but Calderon isn't as talented (at this point) but is an easier fit. If he gets the backup 1 minutes, and who knows maybe Ingram plays a few at the 2 then Lou won't even get close to normal 6th man minutes. That sounds crazy as he isn't far removed from winning an award for that role. So I won't doubt his ability, nor will lesser minutes lower his trade value but I'd rather have a defender locked into his role than have a talent like Lou handcuffed with the payoff being injury insurance. I'm cool with Lou though, but addressing the "fit" it could be better.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
paolomagma wrote:

That's the thing, a typical 6th man gets what 24-30mpg? A lot can happen but Calderon isn't as talented (at this point) but is an easier fit. If he gets the backup 1 minutes, and who knows maybe Ingram plays a few at the 2 then Lou won't even get close to normal 6th man minutes. That sounds crazy as he isn't far removed from winning an award for that role. So I won't doubt his ability, nor will lesser minutes lower his trade value but I'd rather have a defender locked into his role than have a talent like Lou handcuffed with the payoff being injury insurance. I'm cool with Lou though, but addressing the "fit" it could be better.
Absolutely agree my dude.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully if Nance doesn't start he is our "sixth man"

Hopefully Lou is like 8 or 9 man
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
paolomagma wrote:

Lou has never had a season were he averaged 30 MPG (or better).

The closest he came to that was 29.9 MPG in the 20019 - 2010 season for Philadelphia. He had some starts at PG instead of the rookie Jrue Holiday.

That team went 27 - 55 and played below expectations.

Lou has played in 701 games and started 89. Of those 89 starts, 38 were for Eddie Jordan (2009 - 2010) and 35 were for Byron (2015 - 2016). Both Philadelphia and the Lakers made coaching changes after those seasons.

Lou Williams

If Lou is put in a future situation were he averages 30 MPG (or better), he would be playing quite a few minutes against starters. That might not be such a good thing for that lucky team.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Nance is not our sixth man either because right now that goes to Ingram till he's ready to start.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
defense wrote:

Nance is not our sixth man either because right now that goes to Ingram till he's ready to start.

Unleashing Ingram is exciting so I'm cool with that.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
paolomagma wrote:

Lou has never had a season were he averaged 30 MPG (or better).

The closest he came to that was 29.9 MPG in the 20019 - 2010 season for Philadelphia. He had some starts at PG instead of the rookie Jrue Holiday.

That team went 27 - 55 and played below expectations.

Lou has played in 701 games and started 89. Of those 89 starts, 38 were for Eddie Jordan (2009 - 2010) and 35 were for Byron (2015 - 2016). Both Philadelphia and the Lakers made coaching changes after those seasons.

Lou Williams

If Lou is put in a future situation were he averages 30 MPG (or better), he would be playing quite a few minutes against starters. That might not be such a good thing for that lucky team.

I'm not sure I see the need to split hairs (28.5mpg last year and debating 29.9 min vs 30) to support a separate conversation. I even said in the post right after a typical 6th man is in the 24-30 range. Fine, he was a 28.5mpg player that the Lakers valued. It takes one lucky team to want said 7M/yr player. Doesn't matter if it's a bad one, a team desperate for bench scoring or one that wins. You can debate how effective he is by a few minutes here or there, or just look at it and say someone will see what he was to LA and get more use out of him than LA will this year.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject:

If not traded Lou will probably be utilized on an "as-needed-basis."
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
defense wrote:

My hunch is that Luke has a man crush on Nance. I think he will get good minutes one way or another. As of this moment we have 7 guys that need 28+ minutes a game. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I see Lou taking a hit when it's all said and done.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
He fits playing 15 to 20 minutes. Any more and I will spend another season complaining about his standing around and flopping.

Depends a lot on how Calderon shoots. If he can get his 3-pt percentage back up to where it was in Dallas then 15 is probably about right.

The flopping, while effective, is just ugly basketball. I can't see Luke being too thrilled about watching that.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
defense wrote:

Depends a lot on how Calderon shoots. If he can get his 3-pt percentage back up to where it was in Dallas then 15 is probably about right.

The flopping, while effective, is just ugly basketball. I can't see Luke being too thrilled about watching that.

I would take Calderon's 46%-41%-87% over Lou's flopping all day everyday. Neither of them are locking anyone up.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Where Does Lou Williams Fit With This Roster?

Quote:
With the exception of a handful of players, the Lakers roster going into the 2016-17 season is stacked with promising young talent. From two second overall picks in D’Angelo Russell and Brandon Ingram, to late draft steals in Jordan Clarkson and Larry Nance. Jr.

However, one name that doesn’t pop into mind when naming the Lakers young core is former Sixth Man of the Year Lou Williams.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2016/09/04/lakers-where-does-lou-williams-fit-with-this-roster/
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject:

**Drake voice**

"How bout nah!"
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject:

He's the one guy I'd rather see traded. Give his minutes to brown or young
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:32 am    Post subject:

I dont like his game at all. Looks like never passing to anyone, pretty selfish from my standpoint . For the style of play which Luke try to implement he is not good fit. He need to be traded or kept like a 15 min guy not more.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: