Will the 2016-17 Lakers Have a 20+ PPG Scorer?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Will the 2016-17 Lakers Have a 20+ PPG Scorer?

For as long as I could remember, the notion of having a top scorer on the Lakers was never a really big consideration. We always had Kobe, who was at worst, slotted for 27-28 ppg (until his Achilles injury).

Looking at our roster, is it guaranteed that we will have a 20+ ppg player?

I see JC as a strong possibility, but with so many mouths to feed, I think he may be in the 18-19 ppg range. I think DLO will improve on his scoring, but still be below 20 ppg.

We lost Kobe/Young**/Bass/Hibbert, which accounts for about 38ppg.

We brought in Deng/Ingram/Moz/Calderon/Zub, and will see improved overall play from JC/Jules/DLO/Nance/Black.

Aside from JC possibly sneaking closest to 20 ppg, I don't see anyone being a surefire 20 ppg scorer.
Jbar805
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject:

I think JC can average 21ppg or so. Russell 18ppg.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Will the 2016-17 Lakers Have a 20+ PPG Scorer?

yinoma2001 wrote:
For as long as I could remember, the notion of having a top scorer on the Lakers was never a really big consideration. We always had Kobe, who was at worst, slotted for 27-28 ppg (until his Achilles injury).

I see JC as a strong possibility, but with so many mouths to feed, I think he may be in the 18-19 ppg range. I think DLO will improve on his scoring, but still be below 20 ppg.

We brought in Deng/Ingram/Moz/Calderon/Zub, and will see improved overall play from JC/Jules/DLO/Nance/Black.

Aside from JC possibly sneaking closest to 20 ppg, I don't see anyone being a surefire 20 ppg scorer.
It'll come down to JC and D'ice, imo. They'll have the green light to shoot the rock. Maybe Deng will be close but he hasn't ever averaged 20 in his career.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject:

The Kobe/Young**/Bass/Hibbert group took about 34 shots a game too.

Deng (10 shots a game last year)
Moz (about 5 shots a game, closer to 6 when he was healthy in 2014-15).
Calderon (6)
TOTAL: about 21 shots a game

From the young core:

JC (14, 2nd to Kobe)
DLO (12)
Jules (10)
Nance (5)
Black (3)
TOTAL: 44 shots a game. I see JC/DLO/Jules increasing their shot attempts by probably 5-6 a game. Nance will probably get some more too.

So based on just the combined incoming vets + uptick in shots for JC/DLO/Jules, they take up the 34 shots that Kobe, et. al took last season, without even considering our rookies.

I expect Ingram to take around 9-10 shots a game, Zub, probably at most 2-3 shots.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Will the 2016-17 Lakers Have a 20+ PPG Scorer?

Vancouver Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It'll come down to JC and D'ice, imo. They'll have the green light to shoot the rock. Maybe Deng will be close but he hasn't ever averaged 20 in his career.

We only scored 97 points a game, and optimistically we go up to say 102 ppg (middle of pack).

I think it's interesting that we may have a scoring vacuum that one of DLO/JC/Jules will try to take up. Hopefully the coaching staff will make sure that the players keep in mind moving the ball.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

*waits for someone to add up individual ppg stats for every player thinking it equals the same thing as the team ppg*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

Clarkson is the only 1 who can average 20PPG, Russell will probably hover around 17-18.

It would be nice if we had a established scoring option on the team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
*waits for someone to add up individual ppg stats for every player thinking it equals the same thing as the team ppg*

That's why I approached it more from shot attempts/individual PPG.

I really do think it's an interesting angle. We will have several interesting scoring options, and we've really taken the 25+ ppg scorer in Kobe for granted.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject:

so we have 30shots available. somebody will average 20points.

my guess is clarkson or DLO. nobody else has the appetite or skill set to score 20 on any night
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Clarkson is the only 1 who can average 20PPG, Russell will probably hover around 17-18.

JC, DLO, Lou, or Deng could score 20 PPG.
But I think it's in our team's best interest that none of those players do. Means said person has too high of a usage rate.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject:

Oddly enough I can honestly say I recently experienced something with my Travel team that pertains to this topic. It's obvious we have more than enough capable scorers on the roster, but the ability to score 20+ppg night in and night out rest solely on the individual.

This past weekend, I had a few players missing for a league game and I told one of my star players that we needed him to carry the load and lead his team so we can win. This kid responded in big fashion, knocking down shots, stealing the ball, collecting rebounds and dishing dimes all over the place. His stat line for the day was 25pts - 10Asst - 5Rbs - 3Steals and we won the game by 3. It was close to say the least.

My point here is that the young Lakers will need to know how to assert themselves on that end of the floor and not quit nor give up on any plays.
Kobe was great and scored those types of points because he asserted himself, the work he put in during the off season and in the gym showed on the floor when he played the game.
Russell + Clarkson + Ingram + Randle are more than capable scorers but only one or two of those guys will assert themselves enough to average 20+ppg.
As of now, I see Russell, take too many plays off and somewhat lazy at times. Clarkson might be the more suitable player to average 20+ppg, he would just need to touch the ball more.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

Russell is the better scorer than JC. If we have a 20 pt guy, it's dlo
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Tbh, it'd be nice to have 3-4 players all averaging around 16-20 a game. That'd be a great thing to see. Means we're sharing the rock.
umanasibo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject:

I don't. I see Russell and Clarkson coming the closest, though, averaging around 18 each.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

But I think it's in our team's best interest that none of those players do. Means said person has too high of a usage rate.

Yeah. Not that I'm advocating it, but THIS year may be the year for someone like JC to be a 20+ppg scorer b/c once Ingram becomes a starter and/or a star like WB joins the Lakers in 2017, there will be 2 more larger appetites to feed.

I wouldn't mind seeing a bunch of players in the 17-19 ppg range with lots of sharing the rock, etc.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:
Russell is the better scorer than JC. If we have a 20 pt guy, it's dlo
20/6/6 and it's lit af. Lofty expectations for a 20 year old sophomore. I'd love to see it but I think he'll hover around 15-18/5/5 this season.

Last edited by Vancouver Fan on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Yeah. Not that I'm advocating it, but THIS year may be the year for someone like JC to be a 20+ppg scorer b/c once Ingram becomes a starter and/or a star like WB joins the Lakers in 2017, there will be 2 more larger appetites to feed.

I wouldn't mind seeing a bunch of players in the 17-19 ppg range with lots of sharing the rock, etc.
Pretty much. Hopefully, no one tries to get theirs in the process. Sadly, imo, it is inevitable.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

If I had to guess I think this will be the case. It's probably optimum given our youth and the way our roster is constructed.

I think for our young core to be successful they will need to rely on each other in an '04-'08 Pistons kind of way where everyone contributes offensively.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

If I had to guess I think this will be the case. It's probably optimum given our youth and the way our roster is constructed.

I think for our young core to be successful they will need to rely on each other in an '04-'08 Pistons kind of way where everyone contributes offensively.

Until WB comes in 2017 and tells everybody to back the F up and give him the ball.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject:

I think Clarkson will just miss the 20ppg mark and be our leading scorer.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Until WB comes in 2017 and tells everybody to back the F up and give him the ball.

hahahaha which is a huge possibility! I'd hate it if that happened lol
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I think Clarkson will just miss the 20ppg mark and be our leading scorer.

Yeah. I see that too.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject:

JC's the most likely, but hopefully he doesn't turn himself into a chucker to get those kinds of numbers.
Slash&Splash
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject:

I see ~ 18 ppg for Clarkson and Russell and ~15ppg for Deng and Randle.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

hahahaha which is a huge possibility! I'd hate it if that happened lol

WB and an improving Ingram will take even more shots "away" from JC/DLO. Will be interesting to see the dynamics of how each player tries to establish himself in the pecking order.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: