Will the 2016-17 Lakers Have a 20+ PPG Scorer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
D'Lo and Clarkson will be very close to that.

Agreed

I believe they will fall short, but I wouldn't be surprised with one of them scoring 22 per. If you give the green light for Russell to score I believe he can flirt with this numbers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject:

Even though there are lots of shots opening up post Kobe, I don't see one player assuming most of them; rather, I see it being distributed amongst several players. If WB were here, he'd simply take a bunch of Kobe's 18 FGAs from last year.

IF JC can get to the line more, he's probably the best candidate to get to 20ppg.

IF DLO shoots 16+ times a game, due to his 3 point shooting/FTs I could see him flirting with 20ppg.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject:

Per 36, DLO and JC were already around 17 ppg. They both will get more minutes, raise their shooting percentage, and get more shots both due to increased pace and higher usage.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject:

Clarkson avg 16 pts in 35 games as a starting rookie. He avg 16 pts again this year with having to defer to Kobe, Lou, and playing in a horrid offense. In a better system with a quicker release, added bulk, and an improved handle we might be underestimating Clarkson scoring potential.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Clarkson avg 16 pts in 35 games as a starting rookie. He avg 16 pts again this year with having to defer to Kobe, Lou, and playing in a horrid offense. In a better system with a quicker release, added bulk, and an improved handle we might be underestimating Clarkson scoring potential.

He's also playing with better players who will also score more (DLO/Randle/Deng/Ingram, etc. will get increased shots too). It's not just JC who will shoot more.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject:

Russell will be the closest but I ultimately see him averaging about 18 which is not bad.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

He's also playing with better players who will also score more (DLO/Randle/Deng/Ingram, etc. will get increased shots too). It's not just JC who will shoot more.
That's true but 20 ppg doesn't seem like a lot for a guy that can score in so many ways. I think 20 ppg is a given. It's possible he could avg more than that. He's clearly improved in so many other areas of his game and still looks explosive with the added bulk.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Even though there are lots of shots opening up post Kobe, I don't see one player assuming most of them; rather, I see it being distributed amongst several players. If WB were here, he'd simply take a bunch of Kobe's 18 FGAs from last year.

IF JC can get to the line more, he's probably the best candidate to get to 20ppg.

IF DLO shoots 16+ times a game, due to his 3 point shooting/FTs I could see him flirting with 20ppg.

Deng shot around 10 times per game last year, so we can assume Deng takes 10-12 of Kobe's FGA's. That leaves around 6-8 shots to be distributed among the rest of the players in the starting lineup. Of course, there are unaccounted variables such as pace (we were 18th last year), I'd assume that Luke would want us to finish in the upper half of the league in that category, so there could ultimately be more shots available.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

That's true but 20 ppg doesn't seem like a lot for a guy that can score in so many ways. I think 20 ppg is a given. It's possible he could avg more than that. He's clearly improved in so many other areas of his game and still looks explosive with the added bulk.

There are only 20 players in the NBA who have scored more than 20 ppg. It's actually not that commonplace and easy to do so.

Stephen Curry
James Harden
Kevin Durant
DeMarcus Cousins
LeBron James
Damian Lillard
Anthony Davis
Russell Westbrook
DeMar DeRozan
Paul George
Isaiah Thomas
Klay Thompson
Carmelo Anthony
Kyle Lowry
Kawhi Leonard
Kemba Walker
C.J. McCollum
Andrew Wiggins
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

It is a lot when you consider that about 5% of the players in the NBA average 20+.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject:

Wall, Hayward, and CP3 basically avg 20 as well. Griffin was hurt and he's a 20 ppg scorer. That's still a lot of players and I expect Towns, Clarkson, and Aldridge to be in the 20's.

The injuries really slowed Clarkson down but he was having a monster 2nd season . He was our best 3pt shooter all year at about 38% and FG 45% until the ankle injury.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Wall, Hayward, and CP3 basically avg 20 as well. Griffin was hurt and he's a 20 ppg scorer. That's still a lot of players and I expect Towns, Clarkson, and Aldridge to be in the 20's.

The injuries really slowed Clarkson down but he was having a monster 2nd season . He was our best 3pt shooter all year at about 38% and FG 45% until the ankle injury.

The key is for JC to take contact and get FTs. He's really poor at drawing fouls.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

The key is for JC to take contact and get FTs. He's really poor at drawing fouls.
He avoids it most of the time. Let's see with his added bulk if he's willing to directly take the contact. If he does, it should push up his ppg.
underdogsgv
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject:

Clarkson 17/3/3
Russell 16/6/6
Randle 13/10/2
Deng 12/6/2
Mozgov 8/7/1

Lou Williams 13/2/2
Ingram 6/3/1
Nance 6/6/1
Black 4/4/1
Calderon 3/1/3

Zubac 3/3/1
Brown 1/1/1
Huertas 2/1/2
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject:

underdogsgv wrote:
Clarkson 17/3/3
Russell 16/6/6
Randle 13/10/2
Deng 12/6/2
Mozgov 8/7/1

Lou Williams 13/2/2
Ingram 6/3/1
Nance 6/6/1
Black 4/4/1
Calderon 3/1/3

Zubac 3/3/1
Brown 1/1/1
Huertas 2/1/2

I think Ingram will do a lot better than 6/3/1.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

None should take more shots than Kobe and being a starter Lou also took a fair share of shots. I'm not asking for more shots for Clarkson because I think he got enough, but I'd like to see the ball a bit more on his hands and despite being somewhat a Lou's supporter here, I wish Luke would keep his minutes under 20, that is enough.

Without Lou and Kobe share of shots and with Julius hopefully improving what I expect is the number of assists going up for both Clarkson and Russell.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

He avoids it most of the time. Let's see with his added bulk if he's willing to directly take the contact. If he does, it should push up his ppg.

If we're comparing him to someone like Jamal Crawford, Clarkson averages 3.2 FTAs per 36, while Crawford averages 4.1
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject:

To show how difficult it is to be a 20+ppg scorer in the NBA, CJ McCollum, a pretty efficient player, posted the following:

18 shots a game at 45% FG.
41.7% from 3, at 6 attempts a game.
2.8 FTAs a game.
20.8 PPG.

JC is at :

14 shots a game at 43% FG.
34.7% from 3, at 4 attempts a game.
2.6 FTAs a game.
15.5. PPG.

So JC needs to shoot/make more 3s, and getting a few more FTs could help him get to close to 20 ppg.

Besides Lillard, Portland didn't have too many scorers last year, so that dynamic worked.

On the Lakers this season, I see DLO/Randle/Deng/Ingram/Lou needing more shots.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
To show how difficult it is to be a 20+ppg scorer in the NBA, CJ McCollum, a pretty efficient player, posted the following:

18 shots a game at 45% FG.
41.7% from 3, at 6 attempts a game.
2.8 FTAs a game.
20.8 PPG.

JC is at :

14 shots a game at 43% FG.
34.7% from 3, at 4 attempts a game.
2.6 FTAs a game.
15.5. PPG.

So JC needs to shoot/make more 3s, and getting a few more FTs could help him get to close to 20 ppg.

Besides Lillard, Portland didn't have too many scorers last year, so that dynamic worked.

On the Lakers this season, I see DLO/Randle/Deng/Ingram/Lou needing more shots.
Again, I'd rather see the points spread out rather than seeing one player "get his" unless that said player is scoring within the offense Luke is trying to implement.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

None should take more shots than Kobe and being a starter Lou also took a fair share of shots. I'm not asking for more shots for Clarkson because I think he got enough, but I'd like to see the ball a bit more on his hands and despite being somewhat a Lou's supporter here, I wish Luke would keep his minutes under 20, that is enough.

Without Lou and Kobe share of shots and with Julius hopefully improving what I expect is the number of assists going up for both Clarkson and Russell.

I think that once they get settled in a motion offense we will see those things happen. Luke might lean on Lou more early due to him being a vet, but if he is averaging 22+ mpg then something went wrong.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Teams need someone to take over when the game is on the line (I am looking at you GS) and I think the player to do that on the Lakers will be Russell.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject:

I expect to see JC's FG% to get back up around 45%. He really through some rough spots last season
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject:

We should be playing at a faster pace this year, no 'old' guys (well, except for Calderon/Huertas)

JC or DLo
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject:

I would like JC to hover around 39-40% from the 3pt arc.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject:

JC and Dlo are the guys on our squad who have a chance of cracking 20. My money is on Russell since he seems to score so effortlessly. JC can get there as well if he improves his efficiency, which means more FTs and more 3s.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: