Picking the starting five and second unit?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Picking the starting five and second unit?

The current Lakers roster below, what should the Lakers starting five and second unit be for the first game of the 16/17 season?

Quote:

Russell/Calderon/Huertas
Clarkson/Williams/
Deng/Ingram/Brown/Young
Randle/Nance Jr/
Mozgov/Black/Zubac

LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject:

You've got it right except Nance might move up.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject:

This is hard to answer, as I feel the Lakers aren't done moving players around just yet and that another trade is going to happen which will alter the landscape some more.

Nick Young will not be on our Roster come the new season, that's almost pretty much a given. The question is will he be traded or released?

It seems as though their are rumors floating around about Nerlens Noel, Kevin Love, Demarcus Cousins and of course Russell Westbrook, but those are all rumors pure speculation. It will be interesting to see what happens.

The Lakers got a gem in Zubac so that will be interesting to see later down the line...
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject:

Thought this was gonna be another thread where somebody works backwards from the premise that Clarkson must come off the bench.
Glad that's not the case. In fairness, it's been happening alot less now that free agency pipe dreams have dissipated.

I know people are interested in who will be starting games. But I'm more interested in who will be closing halfs.
I doubt Mozgov will be on the floor then. We'll see if Ingram closes halfs. Or if Luke rolls with Deng, Nance, and Randle at the 3-5 positions. Either wa,y pick and rolls can be defended via switch or hard hedge.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject:

Randle will start but i prefer to have nance start to stretch the floor a bit

if randle shows promise in his J he is ideal starter at pf
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject:

Clarkson, Russell, and Mozgov are guaranteed to start at their position. Deng is a starter but we just don't know what position he's going to start at. Deng was at his best at PF which during the season will allow Ingram to start at SF.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

DLO/Calderon/Huertas
JC/Lou
Deng/Ingram/Brown
Randle/Nance/(Deng)
Moz/Black/Zub
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Clarkson, Russell, and Mozgov are guaranteed to start at their position. Deng is a starter but we just don't know what position he's going to start at. Deng was at his best at PF which during the season will allow Ingram to start at SF.

luke is not going to mess with Randle from the get go. He will get his due at starting and then later evaluate that
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

luke is not going to mess with Randle from the get go. He will get his due at starting and then later evaluate that
None of us know that yet. We have to wait until training camp and preseason.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Yeah. I think the PF starting spot is Randle's to lose. I think he will start, with Nance/Deng backing him up.

Now, 2017 is a different story. I can see Deng coming off the bench by then.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Yeah. I think the PF starting spot is Randle's to lose. I think he will start, with Nance/Deng backing him up.

I think the quicker we are "able" to get Deng on the bench, the better chances our team is going in a positive direction. I said "able" because I do think he will have to start for at a minimum 50+% of this season. It is not just to ensure Ingram/Randle are starting, but I think the vet trio (Calderon, Lou and Deng) could be a powerful and consistent "punch" in the second quarter.....that could actually win us additional games. One of our biggest hurdles this year will likely be inconsistent play from the young guys.....but having that solid vet play in the 2nd quarter could be a big bonus to ensure we are "in the game" during the second half each night.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

I think the quicker we are "able" to get Deng on the bench, the better chances our team is going in a positive direction. I said "able" because I do think he will have to start for at a minimum 50+% of this season. It is not just to ensure Ingram/Randle are starting, but I think the vet trio (Calderon, Lou and Deng) could be a powerful and consistent "punch" in the second quarter.....that could actually win us additional games. One of our biggest hurdles this year will likely be inconsistent play from the young guys.....but having that solid vet play in the 2nd quarter could be a big bonus to ensure we are "in the game" during the second half each night.

I see Deng/Moz as nice (albeit expensive) training wheels for Ingram/Zubac. The latter young and talented rookies will benefit from the aegis that the veterans ahead of them provide. This is where teams like the 76ers and Orlando failed b/c they seem to just thrust their young players into a sink or swim situation.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

This will be the most fun line up:

DLO
Clarkson
Ingram
Deng
Nance

Best Defensive Line Up

DLO
Brown
Deng
Nance
MOZ

24 and under line up

DLO
Clarkson
Ingram
Randle
Zubac

Vet Line Up

Calderon
Williams
Young*
Deng
Moz

Going Super Small

Huertas
DLO
Clarkson
Ingram
Randle
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject:

Can we do the all International Team lineup?

Huertas
Calderon
Deng
Zub
Mozzy
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

I agree it's Randle's to lose, but I think there's a decent chance he may lose it. Nance and Randle will both be interviewing for that PF starting slot in camp/pre-season.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject:

If Deng plays great at PF, why would we start him at SF? I think Ingram should start at SF. Deng just backs up Randle at PF.

Starting fab five:

Zubac/Randle/Ingram/Clarkson/Russell
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject:

Russell/Clarkson/Deng/Randle/Mozgov.
Calderon/Lou/Ingram/Nance Jr./Black.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
If Deng plays great at PF, why would we start him at SF? I think Ingram should start at SF. Deng just backs up Randle at PF.

Starting fab five:

Deng played well once Bosh went out, but that invention was borne out of necessity.

I see Deng starting at SF until Ingram overtakes him later this season or next year. We will see Deng probably at 30mpg split at both forward spots.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject:

I'm a Randle fan but it's not looking good for him with the Deng signing and improvement of Nance. Also, as Ingram gets stronger he'll be able to play some PF. Randle really has to show that he improved his jumpshot because he has a lot of competition.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Starting fab five:

Deng played well once Bosh went out, but that invention was borne out of necessity.

I see Deng starting at SF until Ingram overtakes him later this season or next year. We will see Deng probably at 30mpg split at both forward spots.

I don't get the "slowly breaking in" mentality. If a player shows enough in practice and preseason to be a starter, then he should be the starter. I don't get why we have to wait one season or half a season to make that determintation. Guys like Porzingis, KAT and Wiggins were all thrown into the fire and started their entire rookie season and did great. I don't see why Ingram and Zubac couldn't do the same.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Starting fab five:

I don't get the "slowly breaking in" mentality. If a player shows enough in practice and preseason to be a starter, then he should be the starter. I don't get why we have to wait one season or half a season to make that determintation. Guys like Porzingis, KAT and Wiggins were all thrown into the fire and started their entire rookie season and did great. I don't see why Ingram and Zubac couldn't do the same.

Ingram and Zubac aren't comparable IMO as of yet. Ingram will get a shot, but maybe not from the get go. His body needs a lot of work and he's getting pushed around by SPL players, let alone Lebron/KD whom he will be matched up against.

It's actually not a bad thing to give them cover to grow. Ask the 76ers rookies who were thrown into the fire how they're doing.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Starting fab five:

Ingram and Zubac aren't comparable IMO as of yet. Ingram will get a shot, but maybe not from the get go. His body needs a lot of work and he's getting pushed around by SPL players, let alone Lebron/KD whom he will be matched up against.

It's actually not a bad thing to give them cover to grow. Ask the 76ers rookies who were thrown into the fire how they're doing.

76ers were trying to lose though. I feel for those rookies. If Ingram gets pushed around by the starting SF, he'll get pushed around by the back up SF as well since they're all the same sizes. So if you're afraid he's going to get pushed around, you might as well not play him at all. After watching SL, I think he's more ready than Simmons is.

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Starting fab five:

76ers were trying to lose though. I feel for those rookies. If Ingram gets pushed around by the starting SF, he'll get pushed around by the back up SF as well since they're all the same sizes. I think he's even more ready than Simmons after watching SL.

I get your angst, but I'm more than ok with letting Deng start, while Ingram gets stronger and acclimated to the NBA. I have a long view of Ingram so being a star his rookie year isn't that important for me.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject:

I just hope Luke has a quick hook if we are getting destroyed defensively
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Starting fab five:

76ers were trying to lose though. I feel for those rookies. If Ingram gets pushed around by the starting SF, he'll get pushed around by the back up SF as well since they're all the same sizes. I think he's even more ready than Simmons after watching SL.

I get your angst, but I'm more than ok with letting Deng start, while Ingram gets stronger and acclimated to the NBA. I have a long view of Ingram so being a star his rookie year isn't that important for me.

If Deng would help us win more games, then sure. I'm down to whoever helps us win the most games. I just think Ingram's length will help our defense a lot. It was already shown somewhat in SL.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: