Silver Lining of Lackluster 2016 Free Agency
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Silver Lining of Lackluster 2016 Free Agency

Overall, my personal grade for this offseason is a B-, maybe C+. Not as horrific as some make it out to be. However, reading some of Luke's comments, I feel there is a tremendous silver lining to the somewhat lackluster free agency.

If we had landed a marquee all star or all star level FAs (think something like DRoz/Hassan), the expectations for a rookie coach would be immense. There would be no latitude to miss the playoffs or incrementally improve the young core. Of course, having talent is always a great thing in the NBA, but given our circumstances.

This is also a reason why I'm against trading for WB. His supernova ways may prove to be too challenging for a rookie coach. Let Luke breath a bit. Allow him to develop a culture and an ecosystem first. Trying to cheat the process will only end up hurting Luke, or even chasing someone away like WB if he doesn't like what's being brewed up.

I know this is really seeing it from a glass is half full perspective (as opposed to my glass is half empty view the past few seasons), but I genuinely believe we are up to something really nice. Not having such lofty expectations may prove beneficial for the team overall, assuming that Jim/Mitch aren't on the "Deadline." If the whole team can just "trust the process" for one more year, I think the franchise will be in a position to finally make that pivot towards the playoffs again.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

I'm with you! Especially the part about WB. We can get him next year as a FA. Let the team exceed it's modest expectations this season like the Blazers did last season and we will be ready to go as our youngsters improve and start to bond with the new coaching staff.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject:

Brandon ingram, zubac and deng were great additions. Mozgov, meh. Let's see if the coaching staff can work some magic. I'd give this off season a C+/B-. Maybe, just maybe, Mozgov will surprise a lot of us. I remain optimistic.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
I'm with you! Especially the part about WB. We can get him next year as a FA. Let the team exceed it's modest expectations this season like the Blazers did last season and we will be ready to go as our youngsters improve and start to bond with the new coaching staff.

The reason I want to give Luke a chance to set an ecosystem is that if we trade a king's ransom for him, and he doesn't like Luke's system, he can leave.

Instead, let Luke establish a culture now without the pressures of being a playoff contender. WB will be watching from afar, be it OKC, or Boston, etc. If he likes what Luke is developing, he'll come. If not, he won't. We will be a better team for it either way.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject:

The drafting more than made up for it. Lakers found two of their future starters.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
The drafting more than made up for it. Lakers found two of their future starters.

Although we got Shaq as FA we have gotten most of our marquee players via trade or draft. Kobe, Magic, Worthy, Kareem, West, Wilt, Gasol ect.

So this is the way to go.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject:

I'm curious to know about this "deadline" that Jim is on.

If the Lakers win 35 games or so while losing 10-15 really close games that are lost in the final minutes, and the young guys look good doing it, while Luke looks great. Would LA be alright with giving Jim another year on the basis of a promising future?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject:

12 wrote:

If the Lakers win 35 games or so while losing 10-15 really close games that are lost in the final minutes, and the young guys look good doing it, while Luke looks great. Would LA be alright with giving Jim another year on the basis of a promising future?

First off- Jim is an owner, it is not like he can get fired. But to go with the gist of your post I think that 35 games with competitive losses would be a great result and would take pressure off of the FO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject:

12 wrote:

I hope there is no "deadline" to be frank, as that may induce panic-guided moves.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Silver Lining of Lackluster 2016 Free Agency

yinoma2001 wrote:
Overall, my personal grade for this offseason is a B-, maybe C+. Not as horrific as some make it out to be. However, reading some of Luke's comments, I feel there is a tremendous silver lining to the somewhat lackluster free agency.

If we had landed a marquee all star or all star level FAs (think something like DRoz/Hassan), the expectations for a rookie coach would be immense. There would be no latitude to miss the playoffs or incrementally improve the young core. Of course, having talent is always a great thing in the NBA, but given our circumstances.

This is also a reason why I'm against trading for WB. His supernova ways may prove to be too challenging for a rookie coach. Let Luke breath a bit. Allow him to develop a culture and an ecosystem first. Trying to cheat the process will only end up hurting Luke, or even chasing someone away like WB if he doesn't like what's being brewed up.

I know this is really seeing it from a glass is half full perspective (as opposed to my glass is half empty view the past few seasons), but I genuinely believe we are up to something really nice. Not having such lofty expectations may prove beneficial for the team overall, assuming that Jim/Mitch aren't on the "Deadline." If the whole team can just "trust the process" for one more year, I think the franchise will be in a position to finally make that pivot towards the playoffs again.

Perhaps. But the expectations would not have been that much greater for those of us who realize that the only reason those two were "marquee" FA's is the because of the scarcity of real marquee players.

I'm of the school of thought that we went for the home runs with the guy in Houston/Atlanta, and Nash. We've depleted ourselves so much by obtaining them, and losing them for nothing, that the only sensible approach is taking the assets (our kids) that came out of our failure, and invest in surrounding them with the environment, or culture as you stated, and talent (Mosgov, Deng) that would come in our present state.

If I was Durant, I would not have given us a meeting either. It would have been a waste of time, which he doesn't have. But I tell you what, we've got two studs, and possibly three (Ivicka) and I love the direction in which we're going, and that's the basis of my patience with the process.

Lakers for Life!!
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Sorry but this is like not winning a lotto and then trying to justify why not winning the lottery is good for us
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Sorry but this is like not winning a lotto and then trying to justify why not winning the lottery is good for us

You save your $1
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

This is called moving on life Jim. You can sit there and cry about not winning the $100m lotto, or be thankful that you still earn 250k a year and will have a chance at another 100m lotto card the next year.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Nobody said it was "good for us". Those are your words. The lottery is not good for us, but NOW that we have a couple of prizes, I reiterate that surrounding them with talent is the sensible course.

Do you have realistic alternatives?
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

This is called moving on life Jim. You can sit there and cry about not winning the $100m lotto, or be thankful that you still earn 250k a year and will have a chance at another 100m lotto card the next year.

i know and i think i am ok with who they signed. just don't like the term of the contracts
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Use the term silver lining when you want to emphasize the hopeful side of a situation that might seem gloomy on the surface.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/silver%20lining

Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

Playing the lotto is about plunking down the dollar for the privilege of dreaming. Not the actual winning.

We all had a few months of fantasizing and debating on which combo of marquee free agents was best. We got to dream a little about the possibilities of a Hail Mary

Now we get to see the actual results of the realistic outcome.

Frankly I am happy with developing a new head coach and systems with the young talent. Lakers need to build credibility and identity. Bringing in any of the flawed talent currently available in trade only sets the Lakers back.

I am optimistic this combination of a HC who is proving himself to be an above average communicator and a roster of players willing to listen and learn has some intriguing possibilities.

This is the Lakers. Everyone feels pressure to revive a winning tradition.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Brandon ingram, zubac and deng were great additions. Mozgov, meh. Let's see if the coaching staff can work some magic. I'd give this off season a C+/B-. Maybe, just maybe, Mozgov will surprise a lot of us. I remain optimistic.

Staples will chant Mozzie's name.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject:

I don't agree that it was a lackluster offseason, we filled two holes with solid character vets. The star FAs weren't coming to a 17-win team. That being said, I believe that the Lakers pursued players that Luke thinks can help him establish what he wants to do here. That is a good thing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I don't agree that it was a lackluster offseason, we filled two holes with solid character vets. The star FAs weren't coming to a 17-win team. That being said, I believe that the Lakers pursued players that Luke thinks can help him establish what he wants to do here. That is a good thing.

My point is that this team is perfectly set up to allow Luke to grow his own culture/ecosystem, without having to immediately cater to stars and/or playoff expectations.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject:

12 wrote:

There is no deadline. There never was. Jim had his "Dan Gilbert" moment and it's time for fans and the organization to move on. Jeanie has certainly moved on and it's only fair that we do the same.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
12 wrote:

There is no deadline. There never was. He had his Dan Gilbert moment and it's time for fans and the organization to move on. Jeanie has certainly moved on and it's only fair that we do the same.

To be honest, Ingram/(Zubac) were kind of like the baby that was born during the divorce. The parties kind of agreed to disagree but stay together...for now.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
12 wrote:

There is no deadline. There never was. He had his Dan Gilbert moment and it's time for fans and the organization to move on. Jeanie has certainly moved on and it's only fair that we do the same.

To be honest, Ingram/(Zubac) were kind of like the baby that was born during the divorce. The parties kind of agreed to disagree but stay together...for now.

Both have all-star potential. It's amazing how good they can be in 2-3 years. It's like a lotus being born out of mud as the monk Thich Nhat Hanh would say.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

My point is that this team is perfectly set up to allow Luke to grow his own culture/ecosystem, without having to immediately cater to stars and/or playoff expectations.

True, but I wouldn't worry about Luke even if we had brought in a star and were slated for the playoffs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject:

12 wrote:

Would you consider that as the team improving? That is what Jim is expected to do, rubber stamp the moves suggested by Mitch to keep the team improving.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: