Amare stoudemire retires
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Amare stoudemire retires

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17148895/amare-stoudemire-retires-member-new-york-knicks-14-seasons-nba
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Too bad injuries robbed him of part of his career.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Weird he retired a knick tho. Best seasons were with the Suns
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Who's better: Prime Amare or Blake Griffin?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject:

We talk about the slow extinction of players from the 90s but look at how many of the early 2K players are left.

Mike Dunleavy Jr.
Nene
Matt Barnes
Luis Scola

Pau Gasol
Tyson Chandler
Joe Johnson
Richard Jefferson
Zach Randolph
Tony Parker

Jamal Crawford
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject:

^
Why hasn't Matt Barnes' athleticism diminished at his age?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Apparently Amar'e wanted one more season he was considering returning to the Suns and have a farewell tour but the Suns refused.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Apparently Amar'e wanted one more season he was considering returning to the Suns and have a farewell tour but the Suns refused.

He wanted a farewell tour?

I read the recent article about Amare wanting to be in the HOF, and I got the sense that he has an inflated view of his place in NBA history. The guys actually thinks he transcended the PF and C positions. In his prime, he was certainly a monster, but I doubt anyone ever thought of him as a transcendent player.

I've been wondering why he made it a point to retire a Knick, but if this story is true, now I know why. Still, it's hard to believe that he thinks his career was worthy of a farewell tour.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject:

This explains it better than I do

http://arizonasports.com/story/745012/amare-stoudemire-victory-lap-with-phoenix-suns-before-retirement-knicks/

Quote:

Report: Amar’e Stoudemire wanted a victory lap before retirement

It came as a surprise that Amar’e Stoudemire ended his career by signing a one-day contract with the New York Knicks rather than completing his final hours as an NBA player as a member of the Phoenix Suns, where he spent his best days of his 14-year career.

That doesn’t mean Stoudemire didn’t want that chance.

The six-time NBA All-Star and 2002 first-round pick of the Suns wanted a victory lap in Phoenix and elsewhere, but the Suns weren’t interested, reports Arizona Sports 98.7 FM’s John Gambadoro.

Could the fit have worked?

Phoenix already committed to fill its power forward need by signing veteran Jared Dudley and has P.J. Tucker also at hand to split time alongside rookies Marquese Chriss and Dragan Bender.

A Stoudemire signing might align with the Suns already bringing back his former Seven Seconds or Less teammates Leandro Barbosa and Dudley this offseason.

But it wouldn’t make sense from a financial, productivity or developmental standpoint.

By bringing Stoudemire back in a limited role and even on a reasonable deal, the Suns would add more of a mediocre logjam to the frontcourt that might hamper this season’s development of Bender and Chriss. Even though Phoenix has plenty of money to spend, Stoudemire wasn’t exactly known as the same type of developmental leader as Dudley, for example.

His resume doesn’t exactly lend any evidence that he’ll help Bender or Chriss learn correct pick-and-roll coverage — Bender is arguably already ahead of him in that regard. As for his skillset, he wouldn’t fit any need as a limited pick-and-roll dive man.

Simply put, the fit wasn’t right, nor was the timing.

It isn’t known whether Stoudemire would have accepted or whether the Suns offered to sign him on a one-day deal.

Sure, it could’ve given Suns fans a fuzzy feeling inside.

Then again, a large segment of Valley sports fans hardly celebrated Stoudemire’s 8.9 rebounds per game while he played in Phoenix. As unfair as that criticism might’ve been, it wasn’t completely unwarranted.

Regardless, he leaves the game with seasons of outright dominance, having made Phoenix fans jump off their couches in reaction to his violent slams whether they loved him for what he was or wished he was the more complete player that he was not. Those memories are there, no matter which team Stoudemire ended his career with.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject:

His knees retired a long time ago.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

I read the recent article about Amare wanting to be in the HOF, and I got the sense that he has an inflated view of his place in NBA history. The guys actually thinks he transcended the PF and C positions. In his prime, he was certainly a monster, but I doubt anyone ever thought of him as a transcendent player.

I've been wondering why he made it a point to retire a Knick, but if this story is true, now I know why. Still, it's hard to believe that he thinks his career was worthy of a farewell tour.

I wouldn't put Amare in the Hall, but I'm not surprised he considers himself Hall worthy. The guy did average 19-8, make 6 all-star teams, and 6 all-NBA teams. His credentials are on par with a lot of borderline Hall of Famers. However, there is a sense that his stats were inflated by the Phoenix system.

My prediction is he'll make the Hall short list, but not get in.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

I wouldn't put Amare in the Hall, but I'm not surprised he considers himself Hall worthy. The guy did average 19-8, make 6 all-star teams, and 6 all-NBA teams. His credentials are on par with a lot of borderline Hall of Famers. However, there is a sense that his stats were inflated by the Phoenix system.

He was also one of the worst defenders in the entire league.

kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject:

He had an excellent first season in New York. The following season I drafted him with my first pick in fantasy. The injuries ruined his career and any chance I had of winning the league.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

He was also one of the worst defenders in the entire league.

True, but poor defense has little effect on a great offensive player's reputation or Hall of Fame chances.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject:

As much I couldn't stand the Suns, i loved Amare's game. Shame he couldn't keep it up over the course of his career.

!...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject:

I remember when Bynum destroyed him in the low post. That was before he left for the Knicks.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject:

He had his moments, but I always thought he was very overrated. Just awful defensively. One of those players who people think is a good defender because he got highlight reel blocks but really did little else on that end.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject:

kobe_4_mvp wrote:
He had an excellent first season in New York. The following season I drafted him with my first pick in fantasy. The injuries ruined his career and any chance I had of winning the league.

The lowlights was him injuring himself punching that fire extinguisher in the playoffs....
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject:

He really didn't even care about "D".
Another young player who excelled right away, but no coach had the balls to tell
him to evolve.

His game hardly improved after his 3rd season, and when the knees broke down, he became a liability on the court.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
He had his moments, but I always thought he was very overrated. Just awful defensively. One of those players who people think is a good defender because he got highlight reel blocks but really did little else on that end.

Pretty much. Lamar worked him in that 2010 conference finals and I remember amare saying Lamar was getting 'lucky' in those games
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject:

dcastillo wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Pretty much. Lamar worked him in that 2010 conference finals and I remember amare saying Lamar was getting 'lucky' in those games

That was one of my favorite series cuz Lamar was just cooking him over and over again. Amare got saltier and saltier LOL
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject:

dcastillo wrote:

Because they PAID the man.

Amare was a beast even from Summer League at the Pyramid. Probably a PED user though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Dude was a beast in his hey day.

Probably would have won the 2007 championships but for Horry's hip check. They would have cleaned out Lebron's Cavs.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
dcastillo wrote:

Because they PAID the man.

Amare was a beast even from Summer League at the Pyramid. Probably a PED user though.

I think he also played AAU ball in the NYC for a time. So he loves that city.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

I don't have a problem with anyone thinking Amare is worthy of the HOF. I agree that his credentials have him knocking on the door. However, my issue is with Amare thinking that he transcended the two positions he played at throughout his career. That's an awfully arrogant statement to make.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: