Are we still the most loved and hated team in the NBA?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Are we still the most loved and hated team in the NBA?

Is this still a Lakers universe, and everyone else is just living in it?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Every move we make seems to generate a lot of attention.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Siempre
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Yes we are, even Tom Penn had a quiet reaction to Russell's game winner the Lakers are hated everywhere.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Yes we are, and will always be. As strange as it sounds, there's real fear that we will strike at any moment as we've done so many times in the past (Kareem, McAdoo, Kobe, Shaq, Gasol).

We are the teams people love to hate and hate to love or (respect). The difference this time versus previous eras is that we're building in an unconventional way (for us).

We're building through the draft, but I have no doubt people in NBA circles wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers struck BIG....again. Even if that again is Westbrook in 17' to go with this nice core we've constructed.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject:

there are 2 different types of hate... We are hated because of all the star players that played for this glorious franchise that brought us to the playoffs year after year and in many of those cases we won year after year

the other type of hate is the deserving hate that the Clippers are receiving. which IMO is a very legitimate hate.

Last edited by 999 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Hm.
More than loved or hated...
I enjoyed when we were the most FEARED team in the NBA.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject:

I'll tell ya'll one thing, people are loving that we're at the bottom right now. Happens when all we do is WIN.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Hm.
More than loved or hated...
I enjoyed when we were the most FEARED team in the NBA.

Hopefully we will see that moment in the near future.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject:

70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject:

From what I can tell from friends and family, the predominant national opinion about the Lakers among non-Laker fans and outside of media writers - historically - has been weariness, rather than hate.

They're tired of seeing our colors featured so much on TV, in the playoffs, in the news and in the winner's circle. They're tired of us appearing able to buy our way to the top as a big city.

I suspect that most folks are just glad to see the Lakers slip in the shadows for a while again. That's because that's how I feel now that the Knicks and Celtics and Bulls are essentially inconsequential franchises for the time being. It's not hate. It's a sense of justice, relief, and maybe a little spite from seeing a once big dog reduced to scrawny mongrels again.
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Siempre

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Yes.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely, I don't remember the Celts getting even a taste of this hate all the years they were down between rings. Not only that, but you can actually see Wilbon types salivating over being able to jab them, or even just bring them up for no reason but to hate.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject:

BSPN does a good job of fueling the hate. I can't think of another commentator that took more Ls than Tom Penn during the summer league. They've gone the way of TMZ and try to make huge headlines out of nothing. The Nick Young incident is a prime example of why their journalism is shameful. Apparently they kept "count" of how many times teammates passed the ball to Russell in practice.

Last edited by KindCrippler2000 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Of course. The Lakers have the most fans in the world, which isn't that surprising. So conversely, there are more fans who root against the Lakers. I mean, just look at Zubac. A lot of other countries only really know the Lakers, so they root for them. Heck, how many Lakers fans showed up on the road this season for Kobe's farewell tour? A ton. When you're the most storied franchise and have consistently won over the years, it's natural. The Celtics, even with their banners don't compare. It's like the Canadiens in the NHL. Yeah, you won a lot of titles, but how many teams were in the league? Bill Russell was responsible for 2/3's of their banners for cripesakes.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Are we still the most loved and hated team in the NBA?

lakerlove123 wrote:

The Lakers are the leagues only Worldxwide Brand.

It is like the NY Yankees, Dallas Cowboys, Manchester United, Montreal Canadiens.....the Lakers are THE biggest basketball fraanchise in the world, you won't see a lot of Celtics jerseys in Bejing yo.
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject:

I agree that the hate, or, resentment will quickly rise again as we too rise again. However, at this exact moment, I think whether we or a team like the Cavaliers or Warriors has more active hatred is arguable.

Also, let's not forget about how many bandwagon fans there are. I think we still have any team beat on a worldwide scale but the margins may be narrowing, and in the USA the Warriors may very well be the team with the most love/hate.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Are we still the most loved and hated team in the NBA?

LakerLanny wrote:
lakerlove123 wrote:

The Lakers are the leagues only Worldxwide Brand.

It is like the NY Yankees, Dallas Cowboys, Manchester United, Montreal Canadiens.....the Lakers are THE biggest basketball fraanchise in the world, you won't see a lot of Celtics jerseys in Bejing yo.

Montreal Canadiens?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
BSPN does a good job of fueling the hate. I can't think of another commentator that took more Ls than Tom Penn during the summer league. They've gone the way of TMZ and try to make huge headlines out of nothing. The Nick Young incident is a prime example of why their journalism is shameful. Apparently they kept "count" of how many times teammates passed the ball to Russell in practice.

Playing in a high profile profile market, being in the media spotlight etc are some of the things that brought Shaq to LA a few decades ago. When the situation is favorable, it is an advantage that few other teams have.

If the team was moved to Seattle, St Louis or some other small market, the spotlight would dim a fair amount because of the minimal presence that the national media has in those markets. The downside is that the allure to Free Agents of playing in a major market with significant media attention would also be gone.

This idiom appears to fit rather well.

Comes with the Territory

If you say that something comes with the territory, you mean that you have to accept it as a necessary part or result of a particular situation
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Presently, we are not.

Either the Warriors or Cavs are the most love and hated team
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Ugh. I would've just kept the team on lockdown throughout that period. No reporters, no rumor mill, no BS.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Most loved, yes. Most hated no. Having haters is an honor. People still have a deep seeded hate for us, but right now I just don't think we are enough of a threat to be hated like we used to be.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject:

It is so much easier for the media when the Lakers are good. Write anything Lakers related and it's a hit.

This year the Lakers don't really have anything worth writing about. They're a very young team that isn't going to be good, and they don't have the instant ratings that Kobe provided the last 20 years.

They'll just have to write a million articles about Durant and the Warriors and LeBron and the Cavs.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject:

What a topic.

I'm a transplanted Angeleno (living North Carolina now) and longtime Laker fan. I can vouch only that this region seems to think of our team generally as just another team to dislike, on par with the Bulls and Celtics. I couldn't say the Lakers are more hated or less loved than two or three other teams. Oddly enough, the Warriors and Spurs seem to have become this area's most admired foreign franchises; not sure exactly why.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: