Lakers picked to finish last in West by ESPN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject:

so we are missing the playoffs 4 years straight? If the Lakers make the playoffs I wonder how ESPN will respond to that...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject:

It doesn't matter how many games we win, we just need to get real offensive and defensive systems installed and get our young players acclimated to it. I have the feeling we will win less at the beginning of the season and then win at a decent clip the last third of the season, if health allows it. What other players or teams do isn't important, it is all about how the Lakers develop.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject:

how soon are we allowed to start a tank thread?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject:

15 wrote:

That depends on how soon you choose to look foolish.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject:

I don't see any scenario were the Lakers have a lackluster season.

Luke has everything clicking as a group.

Chemistry has been strong between all the players

We have a very good coaching staff.

I can list 100 reasons why the Lakers can end up having a really exciting season.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject:

15 wrote:

there is no tank this year. even if they are bottom team, i am still going to root for them to win every single game

we have 8/9 young guys. how many more you want?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It doesn't matter how many games we win, we just need to get real offensive and defensive systems installed and get our young players acclimated to it. I have the feeling we will win less at the beginning of the season and then win at a decent clip the last third of the season, if health allows it. What other players or teams do isn't important, it is all about how the Lakers develop.

That is how I see it panning out as well VLF.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject:

15 wrote:
That guy.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Right. How about an identity on both sides of the court which are from this century at least? That alone is something I look forward to.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

It'll be hard for these guys to crack more than 30+ wins. However, the win totals don't factor in any injuries for us or our competitors.

If we stay healthy, I think we just cross 30+. If we don't, I think the floor is 26 wins.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject:

Even as a diehard Laker fan, It's not unreasonable to think the Lakers finish dead last in the west. I mean the west is stacked. 30 wins would be a massive improvement if the Lakers somehow got there, and even 30 wins would put them pretty close to last in the West.

25 as ESPN predicted... Entirely plausible.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
so we are missing the playoffs 4 years straight? If the Lakers make the playoffs I wonder how ESPN will respond to that...

Nothing. They'll just never bring it up again. Just like how after the finals, Stephen A.ss were saying sources told him Lebron was talking to other teams and a few days day later Lebron confirmed he's not going anywhere. Then remember when Chris Boussard said Durant was really excited after meeting with the Clippers and then the next day the Clippers signed Rivers to an extension.

A cheerleader might know more about sports than some of these BSPN "analysts". If anything, if BSPN thinks the Lakers are the worst team in the West, I think we should be very excited because now it's highly likely that we'll make the playoffs.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:

Seems reasonable. For most part, they are fairly accurate. It will be fun to go all in with youth development and come back with another top-3 pick. Every team in East and West are trying to win this year. No team is in a tear down and rebuild mode, so we may get bottom 2-3 record even with 25-27 wins.

Only real competition so far seems to be from 76ers and Nets again. Both those teams will end up somewhere in 20s.

Suns will get to 30 wins with Bledsoe and Brandon Knight. They added some really good young pieces like us and Devin Booker is looking like the Suns version of D'Angelo who is poised for a break out year. Wolves, Orlando, Kings, Pelicans, Denver should all get to wins in mid-30s comfortably.

I am actually surprised no team is trying to re-build in a very good draft year. Bulls, Grizzles, Mavs seemed like good candidates.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I don't see any scenario were the Lakers have a lackluster season.

Luke has everything clicking as a group.

Chemistry has been strong between all the players

We have a very good coaching staff.

I can list 100 reasons why the Lakers can end up having a really exciting season.

All of this can happen and we may still end up with wins in mid 20s.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
Seems reasonable. For most part, they are fairly accurate. It will be fun to go all in with youth development and come back with another top-3 pick. Every team in East and West are trying to win this year. No team is in a tear down and rebuild mode, so we may get bottom 2-3 record even with 25-27 wins.

Only real competition so far seems to be from 76ers and Nets again. Both those teams will end up somewhere in 20s.

Suns will get to 30 wins with Bledsoe and Brandon Knight. They added some really good young pieces like us and Devin Booker is looking like the Suns version of D'Angelo who is poised for a break out year. Wolves, Orlando, Kings, Pelicans, Denver should all get to wins in mid-30s comfortably.

I am actually surprised no team is trying to re-build in a very good draft year. Bulls, Grizzles, Mavs seemed like good candidates.

This is what I'm counting on actually. Teams who are out of contention will soon wise up to a potentially strong 2017 draft class while the Lakers hopefully continue to push for wins.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject:

ESPN has made a habit of predicting more wins than we usually end with, IIRC. Wasn't it 25 or 26 last season?
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject:

My guess is around 32 wins (+/- 2), so 25 is plausible if things don't go as well as expected. Actually, 25 is much more likely than 41.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ESPN has made a habit of predicting more wins than we usually end with, IIRC. Wasn't it 25 or 26 last season?

They overestimated Byron and now they're underestimating Luke. To me it's not as easy as it may seem to gauge this team based on last year's performance. That's why I think ESPN is going to get it wrong, by underestimating the number of wins, this year.
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:

We ain't gon finish last. You can bet on that.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject:

ESPN has been dead on in recent years.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject:

People saying we already have 8-9 young players, we dont need another draft pick are way off IMO. If we are finishing last again, we clearly need all the additional assets we can get (along with time)
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
People saying we already have 8-9 young players, we dont need another draft pick are way off IMO. If we are finishing last again, we clearly need all the additional assets we can get (along with time)

Well I wouldn't say we needed another high draft pick. It would be useful for sure to get one, just for the sake of asset accumulation, sure, but I wouldn't say we need one. We absolutely needed the Dlo and Randle picks because we literally had nothing. Anything after that is spoils IMO
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Long term the team still has holes and we still need a sure fire 1st option. That could come through the draft (although not likely as we have saw it takes time to develop draft picks) or through trade. But like I said, we are picked to finish last for a reason. The team still needs more top end talent.

With the way Free Agents has been looking over us and with us likely winning less than 30 games again, I would say we NEED another top 3 draft pick
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Long term the team still has holes and we still need a sure fire 1st option. That could come through the draft (although not likely as we have saw it takes time to develop draft picks) or through trade. But like I said, we are picked to finish last for a reason. The team still needs more top end talent.

With the way Free Agents has been looking over us and with us likely winning less than 30 games again, I would say we NEED another top 3 draft pick

How many lottery picks do you want? You have to cultivate and let them grow. I think the utility of any top 3 pick is that he would be traded.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Just looked at last year's records in the West. Denver won 33 games..... Minny won 29 games with less depth than we have this year, and far worse coaching. I don't see how we don't win 30-32 games..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: