Offense/Defense for the New Roster
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Offense: Have fun. Share the ball. Get more shot attempts than the opponent.
Defense: Have fun. Be accountable.

I know guys who have fun playing defends better except for those Van Exel teams.

I knew they had fun gunning and running, I just can't remember how good they were on defense.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
Offense - Ball Movement, no isolation plays, push the pace, lots of off ball action.

Defense - Ball pressure, sound team defense, get to the right switches, funneling toward the baseline, trap screen and rolls, good hedges, and no over helping and quicker rotations.

Is this more like GS or more like Cleveland?

I only wanna emulate champions and to a lesser degree the over achieving Blazers.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject:

O- move ball for highest % shot

D- communicate and don't point fingers
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject:

no cucking

if chucking then bench or trade

im looking at u lou williams
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject:

Top 5 usage rates for the Lakers last year:

1. Kobe 32%
2. DLo 24%
3. JC 23%
4. Lou 23%
5. Randle 21%

Yea, that Lou, he sure kept the young fella's like DLo, JC and Randle from getting their touches ey?

Are we really complaining about Lou? IMO, not having Kobe should free up the guys more. I'm OK with Lou's shots. Especially when he gets to the FT line and puts the opponents in foul trouble.

I love Kobe, but he was on his last legs. Having a more efficient SF on offense, that can give effort on defense will do wonders for our team.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject:

Maybe you put DLO on the bigger SGs in the league, if they give Clarkson trouble. That could be a defensive strategy.

In general, need DLO to use his size and length to pressure opposing ball handlers more often than in the past. And the opposite for Clarkson. I'd like to see him play safe, positional defense more often than in the past.

Based on what I've seen up to this point. Randle will be better at playing the 5 in Luke's GS system as opposed to the 4.

When Luke staggers his rotation (mixes starters and bench). He'll find out what 2 man groups play better together.
I think Nance and Randle together at the 4 and 5 positions could work nicely.
I think Deng and Ingram will both play better at the 4 position as opposed to the 3, BUT if you play the two of them together at the 3/4 positions we might find a special defensive lineup.

The backcourt is interesting. We know DLo and Clarkson will start. But what bench player will each guy play best with? If I had to guess the best way to stagger them. Play Clarkson with Lou. Play DLO with Calderon. I like that idea, because it allows Clarkson to run some action as the initial ball handler when Lou's in. And it gives DLO some action as more of an off-ball threat when Calderon is in. I like these pairings because it means DLO and Clarkson get to do different things as the rotation changes. Which is ideal when you have 2 combo guards.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

Guys will be empowered to shoot under Luke, we just have to make sure to protect other teams fast break by keeping Nance and Ingram above the high post.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

Play hard.
Play smart.
Play tough.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Maybe you put DLO on the bigger SGs in the league, if they give Clarkson trouble. That could be a defensive strategy.

In general, need DLO to use his size and length to pressure opposing ball handlers more often than in the past. And the opposite for Clarkson. I'd like to see him play safe, positional defense more often than in the past.

Based on what I've seen up to this point. Randle will be better at playing the 5 in Luke's GS system as opposed to the 4.

When Luke staggers his rotation (mixes starters and bench). He'll find out what 2 man groups play better together.
I think Nance and Randle together at the 4 and 5 positions could work nicely.
I think Deng and Ingram will both play better at the 4 position as opposed to the 3, BUT if you play the two of them together at the 3/4 positions we might find a special defensive lineup.

The backcourt is interesting. We know DLo and Clarkson will start. But what bench player will each guy play best with? If I had to guess the best way to stagger them. Play Clarkson with Lou. Play DLO with Calderon. I like that idea, because it allows Clarkson to run some action as the initial ball handler when Lou's in. And it gives DLO some action as more of an off-ball threat when Calderon is in. I like these pairings because it means DLO and Clarkson get to do different things as the rotation changes. Which is ideal when you have 2 combo guards.

I think we have enough competitive combinations to play around with. We just have to master our own go to plays for the crucial end games.

These go to plays are what I'm curious about.

With Phil we had the triangle. I know Luke is too familiar with it not to utilize some of its aspects.

The biggest question marks for us this season will be the rookie Ingram, the health of Mozgov and the competence of Luke.
underdogsgv
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject:

Very tough question to answer, and not even sure how exactly to answer it --

I think the most effective defense overall right now, for the most part, is where you switch on everything, but that won't be possible in lineups with Mozgov or Lou Williams (or Calderon). Or Clarkson for the matter.

I do think our D will be better this year, biggest factor being that we won't have a guy who was allowed to be a rover while playing half-hearted D and mainly just conserving his energy for the offensive end (Kobe). Sure, everone else was horrible, but Kobe mailing it in on D just exacerbated it. Hopefully on most plays we will have 5 guys all playing at 90-100% effort on D since they all have something to prove (mainly that they aren't horrible defensive players)

On offense, we'll see a lot of ball movement, more wide open shots and less horrible, contested shots, lots of mistakes and turnovers and hopefully people like Deng (or Russell and Calderon in his 10mpg) showing on-court leadership.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Very tough question to answer, and not even sure how exactly to answer it

I just need set plays/patterns.

We will have an identity coz I don't think we will settle for a GS clone.

I just wanna know the best set plays suited for the roster's strength/weaknesses.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject:

Man up

Fist fight

Foxhole

No fear
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
Offense - Ball Movement, no isolation plays, push the pace, lots of off ball action.

Defense - Ball pressure, sound team defense, get to the right switches, funneling toward the baseline, trap screen and rolls, good hedges, and no over helping and quicker rotations.

Is this more like GS or more like Cleveland?

I only wanna emulate champions and to a lesser degree the over achieving Blazers.

I'd say Golden State. We know how great the Warriors are with moving the ball, but they do an excellent job with trapping and icing pick and rolls, finding off ball cutters with their split action, switching and not over helping, and you almost never see isolation plays unless Steph is going bonkers.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Man up

Fist fight

Foxhole

No fear

Byron: You merely adopted the foxhole. I was born in it, molded by it.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Some highlights against the Clippers showing how Mozgov can be utilized on offense and defense. First time I saw someone halting the CP3 to Deandre lob.

He is such a "nobody" they always neglect him on defense.

Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject:

I wonder what offense can luke design without a legitimate stretch four and elite outside shooters. Spurs, Warriors, theses offenses get really stale when the outside shot isn't falling. We're gonna need a lot more movement towards the basket.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
I wonder what offense can luke design without a legitimate stretch four and elite outside shooters. Spurs, Warriors, theses offenses get really stale when the outside shot isn't falling. We're gonna need a lot more movement towards the basket.

Yeah, we don't have a legit stretch 4. They're trying to develop Nance for that. Deng certainly can also play that role.

Here's a short vid discussing Luke's coaching style:

They're saying Luke believes in a position less game.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
zePokar wrote:

Yeah, we don't have a legit stretch 4. They're trying to develop Nance for that. Deng certainly can also play that role.

Almost forgot about Deng. Yeah I think we're gonna see a lot of Ingram at 3 and Deng at 4. Does anyone know how much Deng played at the 4 for Miami last year ?
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
zePokar wrote:

Almost forgot about Deng. Yeah I think we're gonna see a lot of Ingram at 3 and Deng at 4. Does anyone know how much Deng played at the 4 for Miami last year ?

Let's just say he took over Bosh when he went down.

His stats went up and Miami played better.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject:

Love this play when we beat the Dubs last season.

2 of our shooters can easily get open on it.

https://picload.org/image/rropowpc/insta002.gif
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: