Nick Young - pipe dream, wishful thinking or positive thinking?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Nick Young - pipe dream, wishful thinking or positive thinking?

I know just about everyone here thinks Nick Young is just pure garbage, immature, and a waste of talent. I originally liked him when he first joined the Lakers and led them to mediocrity....

But is it possible he can turn over a new leaf and contribute to the Laker rebuild?

I'm sure he's just about hit rock bottom. He had a horrible last season, barely saw playing time, his girl dumped him and he practically almost blew off his hand.

But can we think positively?

I keep thinking about how the Warrior's Livingston abused the smaller guards. Well Nick young is also a 6'7 guard with probably a better offensive game, albeit very undisciplined.

You all say he's too old to change. Older players are always reinventing themselves, learning or adding new things to their game.

The Lakers could use a tall offensively skilled guard. Nick young can shoot the three.

The key is if Nick Young can set his mind and energies in a positive manner also he now has a positive coach who believes in encouragement, teaching and communication and knows how to create a posture culture. MDA and BS were horrible coaches. If you were in their doghouse you could forget about your season...although Nick Young did have a good season for MDA.

This could be Nicks last chance to stay in the League.

He could be an important missing piece for the Lakers. A tall shooting guard who can also hit the 3.

If he can't produce and stay out of trouble then play ABrown more, at least you will get more defense. Then waive Nick Young.

MWP turned his career around and he was facing much worse demons.

First thing to do is to get rid of that Stupid Swaggy P nickname.

I wish we could think positive and give him one last chance.

Luke, you're our only hope.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject:

I actually like youngs game more than I like Lou Williams and don't have an issue with him being on the team as long as he isn't messing with team chemistry. Chemistry is going to be what makes or breaks this young core IMO and I don't want stuff that happened last season being an issue this seAson
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject:

Young's game is what it is at this point.
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject:

There's absolutely zero chance Swaggy is on the team come opening night.

I don't think Nick Young can function in the same locker room as DLo. For as overblown as the video incident has been by the media, I think it's safe to say that was the one bridge that was legitimately damaged. The team knows this as well, they're not stupid. As long as the they're invested in DLo, there's literally no way they plan to have Swaggy report in to training camp.

I'm guessing they're holding out to try to find any sort of return for him in a trade, but if they can't even find someone who will take him for free before the season starts, then they'll stretch him. Until then, they're in no rush to throw him away for nothing considering nothing is happening.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject:

What makes you think he wants to change or lose his "Swaggy P" persona?

I agree that "if" he could or would change his off court antics and played within a specific role on the court e would be a decent fit as a backup. I personally just do not think he is capable of changing.

He is immature. He is a knucklehead. He loves the image and spotlight for all the wrong reasons. I would love for him to have a life epiphany and become a solid professional just don't see it happening.

At this point I just hope they can trade him away for a competent player or at least a pick. Seems such a waste to have to cut him and incur cap loss for the privilege.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject:

Nope.
ratra_1211
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject:

i actually likes nick young more than lou williams as i prefer big guards (both didnt defend well, but atleast big guards have the size and length to compete on D better)

both are inconsistent shot jackers, have similar contribution for the offense (nick's repertoire consist of his signature two dribble crossover pullup jumper, occasional postups turnaround J, and spotup often contested 3s compared to lou will's signature foul magnet drive shot which often converts to and-1s, his nick young-esque crossover pullup J, occasional drive and kicks, and lastly some spotup 3s).

iirc what makes nick young very inconsistent last season is he's hurt and he got deep into byron's foxhole.

in a "pipe dream" world, id like to see both shipped ASAP, but on a "positive" point of view id give young a chance (like 10-25 games) before seeing his ass shipped
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject:

awntawn wrote:

Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject:

Even if Nick behaved well for the next 2 seasons - No chance the FO tackles the certainty that people and media outside of the team will use his presence as a way to keep the DLo thing alive and well.

Regardless of how - Nick is gone.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject:

awntawn wrote:

well this isn't true unless it follows a statement like "a unicorn will walk around that corner in the next 5 minutes" There is at least a 1% chance he will be on the roster, and probably a much greater likelihood than that. I don't think anyone would be shocked if there was a 20% chance he is in P&G opening night.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
What makes you think he wants to change or lose his "Swaggy P" persona?

I agree that "if" he could or would change his off court antics and played within a specific role on the court e would be a decent fit as a backup. I personally just do not think he is capable of changing.

He is immature. He is a knucklehead. He loves the image and spotlight for all the wrong reasons. I would love for him to have a life epiphany and become a solid professional just don't see it happening.

At this point I just hope they can trade him away for a competent player or at least a pick. Seems such a waste to have to cut him and incur cap loss for the privilege.

The lakers should have known his ways right? Did they do any research about young's Washington days?
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject:

Well, if the issue with DLO and NIck is resolved Would as ratra-1211 said give Nick perhaps 10 to 25 games to see if he fits in with the team.
But if there is a personnel conflict, of course Nick would have to be the one that goes.

But Nick doesn't seem malevolent just scatterbrained and immature.

After all the Lakers do have 15M invested in Nick, and to keep throwing away money and making bad decisions has to slow down.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject:

In abstract I think that Nick Young could be a good fit in Luke's system and he is on a reasonable contract. In reality, he has poisoned the well with the DLO fiasco. It may or may not be fair at this time, but it if he stays on the team the whole Bro Code thing with DLO will never go away.

He will be gone. The FO is just trying to see if there is any way possible to move him without having to eat his reasonable contract.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject:

nick yong and his compatriot lou williams have got to go.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:

Agreed 100%
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Nick Young - pipe dream, wishful thinking or positive thinking?

Lakerpark wrote:
I know just about everyone here thinks Nick Young is just pure garbage, immature, and a waste of talent. I originally liked him when he first joined the Lakers and led them to mediocrity....

But is it possible he can turn over a new leaf and contribute to the Laker rebuild?

I'm sure he's just about hit rock bottom. He had a horrible last season, barely saw playing time, his girl dumped him and he practically almost blew off his hand.

But can we think positively?

I keep thinking about how the Warrior's Livingston abused the smaller guards. Well Nick young is also a 6'7 guard with probably a better offensive game, albeit very undisciplined.

You all say he's too old to change. Older players are always reinventing themselves, learning or adding new things to their game.

The Lakers could use a tall offensively skilled guard. Nick young can shoot the three.

The key is if Nick Young can set his mind and energies in a positive manner also he now has a positive coach who believes in encouragement, teaching and communication and knows how to create a posture culture. MDA and BS were horrible coaches. If you were in their doghouse you could forget about your season...although Nick Young did have a good season for MDA.

This could be Nicks last chance to stay in the League.

He could be an important missing piece for the Lakers. A tall shooting guard who can also hit the 3.

If he can't produce and stay out of trouble then play ABrown more, at least you will get more defense. Then waive Nick Young.

MWP turned his career around and he was facing much worse demons.

First thing to do is to get rid of that Stupid Swaggy P nickname.

I wish we could think positive and give him one last chance.

Luke, you're our only hope.

I'm not a Nick Young fan by any means, but let's be fair with him. Starting the season he was all business, playing seriously, moving the ball, not taking too many will advised shots and even showing good defense, then he came with that "clown basketball" remark about other players being free to play zero defense and take a bad shot whenever he wants just to get into the Scott's dog house again and then his production became miserable. Starting last season Nick Young was our best SF by a wide margin statistically speaking.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject:

Nick and Lou were brought in when the team still had Kobe and some aspirations of making the playoffs. The situation with the team has changed with Mozgov and Deng joining with awareness of that new reality.

The FO has projected that Mozgov and Deng are veterans that will be able to mentally handle being on a team in a youth movement. Not sure if the FO has done the same analysis of Nick and Lou.

Last edited by Bard207 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject:

Shaun Livingston went fourth overall for a reason...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject:

He isn't really "pure garbage". He can ball and has a lot of skill, he just doesn't seem to be capable of applying it in a way that is effective for the team. He is a me first, iso player, three point chucker, and doesn't seem to have a high BBIQ. First he would need to find the willingness to play off ball, setting screens, and moving through sets. Then he would need to find the discipline to learn the sets, then he would need to find the intelligence to recognize when the team is transitioning to a certain set.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:

Lou has skills, Young is 1 dimensational, I would see what Lou can do. he might have good enough value by the TD. Young has reached his peak.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject:

Of course I would love to see Lou traded, but it doesn't seem like there is enough interest to trade him or teams are giving us bad offers.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Of course I would love to see Lou traded, but it doesn't seem like there is enough interest to trade him or teams are giving us bad offers.

If the rest of the Front Offices in the league have made similar offers for Lou and those offers are significantly lower than what Mitch & Jim are expecting, how are those bad offers?
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

the problem is Jim thinks Lou is part of the core. a 30yr old iso no defense chucker
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject:

Swaggy's career highlights...the Drew League.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
First he would need to find the willingness to play off ball, setting screens, and moving through sets. Then he would need to find the discipline to learn the sets, then he would need to find the intelligence to recognize when the team is transitioning to a certain set.

Good breakdown - I'm curious about how each of our Lakers would fare in these three categories.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: