Prime Tim Duncan vs Prime Kevin Garnett
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who was better in their prime?
Tim Duncan
73%
 73%  [ 19 ]
Kevin Garnett
26%
 26%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 26

R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Prime Tim Duncan vs Prime Kevin Garnett

Who would you prefer on your team, having the ability to select one of them in their prime?

Who do you feel was best in their prime years?

Last edited by R-Tistic on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Prime Tim Duncan vs Prime Kevin Garnett

R-Tistic wrote:
Who would you prefer on your team, having the ability to select one of them in their prime?

Depends.

Assuming pairing with Kobe in his prime, I go with Duncan. Better contrast in personality; KG/Kobe would = dead teammates.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject:

Prime Tim Duncan. For me it's not even close.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Prime Tim Duncan vs Prime Kevin Garnett

R-Tistic wrote:

That's tough. On paper. Garnett was a GOAT level guy with an amazing skill set who was only held back by poor teammates. That said, he did tend to underperform in the playoffs until he reached Boston and wasn't required to be the main guy.

We can only guess how a 25-year-old Garnett would do on the Spurs and vice versa with Duncan.

As much as I love Garnett, I'd go with Duncan, but I see the other point of view.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
Prime Tim Duncan. For me it's not even close.

This. KG and Kobe both in their primes would be akin to watching Shaq/Kobe, two alphas going at each other's throats as well as their nightly opponents. KG probably would be less dominant, but in today's NBA of spacing/ball movement/3pt shooting probably would translate better.

Now with Duncan you'd get a HoF/GOAT version of Odom and a pairing that would complement each other better. It's the duo lineup that would most likely win the most amount of championships over a sustained period of time out of all three possibilities (Shaq/Kobe, Kobe/KG, Kobe/TD).
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Not sure where people are getting this idea that KG had some huge ego , was some alpha male and would clash with kobe.

KG was criticized the majority of his career as not being alpha enough, taking big shots, etc.

Him and Kobe would be perfect together. I don't think he'd have any issue deferring to Kobe.

But I pick Duncan, as he was the better player IMO
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
Not sure where people are getting this idea that KG had some huge ego , was some alpha male and would clash with kobe.

KG was criticized the majority of his career as not being alpha enough, taking big shots, etc.

Him and Kobe would be perfect together. I don't think he'd have any issue deferring to Kobe.

Re: KG/Kobe, issue isn't alpha personality, but that they are cut from the same cloth and that would be overwhelming for a team.

Kobe/Duncan on the other hand is a yin/yang perfect fit. No doubt Kobe/KG wins rings, but I think from a sustainability standpoint, Kobe/TD wins more.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:

TD. Loved KG when he was with the Wolves but TD's overall career is as great of a career any pro athlete could ask for. TD can sit at the table with all the other all time greats.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Alpha vs Beta

Their h2h stats are pretty close.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=garneke01&p2=duncati01#stats_playoffs

Duncan always had a solid supporting cast versus KG having to carry those Minny teams until he got to Boston. If this were the Kobe/Shaq era Lakers, TD. If this were the Byron Scott Lakers, KG.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB

Last edited by rwongega on Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

Re: KG/Kobe, issue isn't alpha personality, but that they are cut from the same cloth and that would be overwhelming for a team.

Kobe/Duncan on the other hand is a yin/yang perfect fit. No doubt Kobe/KG wins rings, but I think from a sustainability standpoint, Kobe/TD wins more.

How about Duncan/Garnett. You have two bigs who can play lockdown defense, play inside and outside, and pass. Surround them with some good three point shooters and that's a hard team to beat.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Who was the better defender?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

I routinely see both listed as among the top 15 defenders in NBA history, and they are generally ranked right next to each other. I'd give Garnett the edge because his versatile enough to cover pretty much any position, but they're both great defenders who can anchor a world-class defense.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I routinely see both listed as among the top 15 defenders in NBA history, and they are generally ranked right next to each other. I'd give Garnett the edge because his versatile enough to cover pretty much any position, but they're both great defenders who can anchor a world-class defense.
100%
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject:

KG in 2004 was a beast.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject:

KG all day, every day. What exactly would I expect Duncan to do better than KG? Oh but he has more rings and more mvps? Yea, if garnett player with pop, ginobli, tp, kawhi, Aldridge, and the spurs for 20 years, he would have lots of rings. KG is the man here. KG changed the NBA.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
KG all day, every day. What exactly would I expect Duncan to do better than KG? Oh but he has more rings and more mvps? Yea, if garnett player with pop, ginobli, tp, kawhi, Aldridge, and the spurs for 20 years, he would have lots of rings. KG is the man here. KG changed the NBA.

And if KG had 5 rings and challenged Kobe as the player of his generation like TD you'd say "TD all day..."
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

And if KG had 5 rings and challenged Kobe as the player of his generation like TD you'd say "TD all day..."

maybe, but not in this case. KG was a Celtic and literally beat LA for a ring....whereas Duncan and the Spurs did it a couple of times but not in the Finals. So they are similar on that front. The hate for the two is equal.

The difference is that KG fans aren't going around claiming that he is better than Kobe or calling him the greatest PF in the history, etc. That makes the Duncan world (not him personally) far more annoying.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Alpha vs Beta

Their h2h stats are pretty close.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=garneke01&p2=duncati01#stats_playoffs

Duncan always had a solid supporting cast versus KG having to carry those Minny teams until he got to Boston. If this were the Kobe/Shaq era Lakers, TD. If this were the Byron Scott Lakers, KG.

They are really close, once you factor in things like pace. Garnett was more versatile, especially on the defensive end, a better passer and ballhandler. Duncan was a better shotblocker and performed better in the playoffs, which is probably his biggest edge.

As scorers and rebounders, they were pretty close. Garnett at his peak might have been a tad better, but Duncan probably had a peak that was slightly longer.

In terms of style of play and personality, two guys couldn't be more different -- but both great, effective players.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Easy. Tim Duncan.
rockyp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Better Question:

Prime Kobe + Prime Duncan vs. Prime KG + Prime Lebron = Who'd you rather?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

maybe, but not in this case. KG was a Celtic and literally beat LA for a ring....whereas Duncan and the Spurs did it a couple of times but not in the Finals. So they are similar on that front. The hate for the two is equal.

The difference is that KG fans aren't going around claiming that he is better than Kobe or calling him the greatest PF in the history, etc. That makes the Duncan world (not him personally) far more annoying.

One of the more bizarre things posted here.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject:

I love Duncan's game but his supporting cast was miles better than KG ever had in Minnesota. Would Duncan do better than KG did if they swapped places? I don't think so.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject:

rockyp wrote:
Better Question:

Prime Kobe + Prime Duncan vs. Prime KG + Prime Lebron = Who'd you rather?

I'd say switch KG and Duncan around, so Superboy doesn't have to select Duncan -- poor guy would have a stroke.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject:

This is an extremely tough debate. If we're talking career, then as much as I revere T-Wolves era KG (one of my favorite non Laker players ever), I'd have to go with Alamo Spock.

Howevah {{SAS voice}}, in their primes, I can't ignore KG. The man was a beast. 24/14/5/1.5/2.2. Just WOW. Dude was also a defensive stalwart and could shut down virtually anybody (including Tim... Shaq,Dirk, Amáre, you name it). One of the greatest defensive players I've ever seen, and one of the greatest defensive switching big men to boot. If TD gets caught in a switch vs a guard on the perimeter, it's over (sorry TD). If KG gets switched unto a guard... uh uhh... he's locking him down. One of the most tenacious and competitive players I've seen. In his peak form, a better defender than Duncan (DPOY to boot). If you pit 04 KG vs 02 Duncan, then I take KG by a hair. He was better at almost everything.

Fun fact, both were ousted by the Lakers in their best seasons

Last edited by panamaniac on Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

How can you hold Duncan playing in the WCF against him?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: