So Excited & I Just Can't Hide It.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: So Excited & I Just Can't Hide It.

I'm so excited about Lakers basketball again for the first time probably since the offseason we got Dwight and Steve. I'm excited to see D'Angelo's growth as a point and see him finally have some guys who can finish of his passes in screen and roll. I'm excited to see this team get on the break and the athletes on this team like Nance Jr, Randle, and Clarkson finish on the break. I'm excited to see motion sets and more ball movement and man movement similar to how the Lakers played in that huge upset over the Warriors last March. I'm excited to see Russell, Randle, and Clarkson take on leadership roles as well as Larry Nance Jr. I'm excited to see the new defensive scheme we'll see and we don't hopefully see so many mental mistakes. Of course there will be some with such a young squad, but I don't see how we don't improve given how bad the Lakers have been the last few years.

I'm excited to move into the post Kobe era. As much as I love Kobe as the old saying you have to move on. The team is in a lot better position than it was after Kobe's final game. Looking forward to seeing these veterans help our young guys improve with their leadership and the fact that they can still contribute. Mozgov unlike Hibbert won't fall down and won't hang D'Lo out to dry on his dives to the hoop. With more shooting around him with the additions of Calderon, Ingram, and Deng (although Deng isn't great he is serviceable) he'll have more room to operate. I look forward to seeing the chemistry between these guys that we already got a preview of in summer league. What we've heard from the USA select camp only makes me even more excited. Some of the best players in the game are saying what we've already seen with our own eyes. That these young guys are really good, really hard workers, and if they continue to work they're gonna be terrific.

It's a new day and age. It's been a long time since the Lakers have had to build through the draft like this and that's where we're. There are no quick fixes. This will take some time and a lot of it. Let these kids grow. They've some decent pieces around him. We've got a 20 year old point guard in D'Angelo who averaged about 16 and 5 per 36 minutes which is pretty hard to do for such a young player. He looks so much different than a season ago. He's gotten stronger, more comfortable, even more confident, and has a tremendous skillset and pretty much can do what we wants out there.

D'Angelo to me has the highest ceiling along with Ingram who despite the fact that he's not likely to make a huge impact right away once the kid grows into his body I think we all have to be excited just what we've seen from here in college and in flashes in summer league. He's so skilled, so smooth, can shoot the rock, has all the tools to be a special defensive player, once he gets stronger will be able to finish more. He has a surprisingly good floor game. Doesn't force things much. Uses that length on both ends.

Julius Randle probably has the most to work on between his subpar defense, his bad shot selection, lack of a right hand and a shot overall yet and still Julius is still coming off a double double year despite everything he has to improve. He's ambidextrous, he's quick, can be a nightmare in transition, can be a bull down and did start to play more under control in the second half of the season which resulted in better shooting nights. If he can just improve a couple of those flaws this season such as shooting and mental mistakes on defense you'll see a big jump.

Clarkson, Nance, and Zubac cannot be ignored either. Zubac may even end up being the third best player on this young squad. He's so skilled down low, good touch, runs the court, is quicker with his rotations than I thought, isn't just a sloth like Hibbert, can really move better than you'd expect, obviously needs to get stronger and have more experience, but I think he has a chance to be a really good center in the NBA. Clarkson isn't far away from being a 20 point guard and if he can improve his defense he can be a really good starting two guard in the NBA. We could have to legit play makers in the backcourt who can also fill it up. We can have a similar dynamic that Golden State has with all their playmakers. Larry Nance was very impressive before he got hurt in summer league. He was everywhere on the court. Blocking shots, rotating, rebounding, pushing the ball on the break, posterizing dudes, and was more aggressive offensively. He is probably the best all around player on this team.

Yes I have to put realistic expectations. I have us winning 32, but could really see anywhere between 25-35 wins. This is such an inexperienced team they'll will be lots of growing pains. A lot of blown games. We'll still get blown out plenty. The team is still a couple of years away, but that's just fine. I'm expecting some progress. That isn't unrealistic. Playing together with a new and bright basketball mind who is gonna make a huge effort to develop them should result in a much better team than a season ago. As they grow and mature more players and coaches will start to take notice and then all of a sudden the Lakers public perception will start to change. We've drafted well, we've hired the right coach, added some good players in free agency and now it's time to see these young Lakers go to work and get better.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject:

It's always great to be a Laker fan!
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject:

Yezzir! Seeing the young guys develop is a huge part of the journey for me. It is the most gratifying part. Like building a business or a house/complex from the ground up. Yes, the end result, if profitable, is a great feeling but the road that got us there is all that really matters. There is no quick fix. Majority of the time, quick fixes result in failure, imo.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

Right there with you in excitement! And I think our coaching staff has just as much potential as our young players!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
FloppyDiskz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject:

I'm about to lose control and I think I like it!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject:

Preseason is gonna have as big of a hype then any time we have seen in Lakers history.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Preseason is gonna have as big of a hype then any time we have seen in Lakers history.
This maybe the year to fly down to SoCal and catch a couple of games throughout the season. Haven't done that in a minute.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: So Excited & I Just Can't Hide It.

Lakers2015 wrote:
I'm so excited about Lakers basketball again for the first time probably since the offseason we got Dwight and Steve. I'm excited to see D'Angelo's growth as a point and see him finally have some guys who can finish of his passes in screen and roll. I'm excited to see this team get on the break and the athletes on this team like Nance Jr, Randle, and Clarkson finish on the break. I'm excited to see motion sets and more ball movement and man movement similar to how the Lakers played in that huge upset over the Warriors last March. I'm excited to see Russell, Randle, and Clarkson take on leadership roles as well as Larry Nance Jr. I'm excited to see the new defensive scheme we'll see and we don't hopefully see so many mental mistakes. Of course there will be some with such a young squad, but I don't see how we don't improve given how bad the Lakers have been the last few years.

I'm excited to move into the post Kobe era. As much as I love Kobe as the old saying you have to move on. The team is in a lot better position than it was after Kobe's final game. Looking forward to seeing these veterans help our young guys improve with their leadership and the fact that they can still contribute. Mozgov unlike Hibbert won't fall down and won't hang D'Lo out to dry on his dives to the hoop. With more shooting around him with the additions of Calderon, Ingram, and Deng (although Deng isn't great he is serviceable) he'll have more room to operate. I look forward to seeing the chemistry between these guys that we already got a preview of in summer league. What we've heard from the USA select camp only makes me even more excited. Some of the best players in the game are saying what we've already seen with our own eyes. That these young guys are really good, really hard workers, and if they continue to work they're gonna be terrific.

It's a new day and age. It's been a long time since the Lakers have had to build through the draft like this and that's where we're. There are no quick fixes. This will take some time and a lot of it. Let these kids grow. They've some decent pieces around him. We've got a 20 year old point guard in D'Angelo who averaged about 16 and 5 per 36 minutes which is pretty hard to do for such a young player. He looks so much different than a season ago. He's gotten stronger, more comfortable, even more confident, and has a tremendous skillset and pretty much can do what we wants out there.

D'Angelo to me has the highest ceiling along with Ingram who despite the fact that he's not likely to make a huge impact right away once the kid grows into his body I think we all have to be excited just what we've seen from here in college and in flashes in summer league. He's so skilled, so smooth, can shoot the rock, has all the tools to be a special defensive player, once he gets stronger will be able to finish more. He has a surprisingly good floor game. Doesn't force things much. Uses that length on both ends.

Julius Randle probably has the most to work on between his subpar defense, his bad shot selection, lack of a right hand and a shot overall yet and still Julius is still coming off a double double year despite everything he has to improve. He's ambidextrous, he's quick, can be a nightmare in transition, can be a bull down and did start to play more under control in the second half of the season which resulted in better shooting nights. If he can just improve a couple of those flaws this season such as shooting and mental mistakes on defense you'll see a big jump.

Clarkson, Nance, and Zubac cannot be ignored either. Zubac may even end up being the third best player on this young squad. He's so skilled down low, good touch, runs the court, is quicker with his rotations than I thought, isn't just a sloth like Hibbert, can really move better than you'd expect, obviously needs to get stronger and have more experience, but I think he has a chance to be a really good center in the NBA. Clarkson isn't far away from being a 20 point guard and if he can improve his defense he can be a really good starting two guard in the NBA. We could have to legit play makers in the backcourt who can also fill it up. We can have a similar dynamic that Golden State has with all their playmakers. Larry Nance was very impressive before he got hurt in summer league. He was everywhere on the court. Blocking shots, rotating, rebounding, pushing the ball on the break, posterizing dudes, and was more aggressive offensively. He is probably the best all around player on this team.

Yes I have to put realistic expectations. I have us winning 32, but could really see anywhere between 25-35 wins. This is such an inexperienced team they'll will be lots of growing pains. A lot of blown games. We'll still get blown out plenty. The team is still a couple of years away, but that's just fine. I'm expecting some progress. That isn't unrealistic. Playing together with a new and bright basketball mind who is gonna make a huge effort to develop them should result in a much better team than a season ago. As they grow and mature more players and coaches will start to take notice and then all of a sudden the Lakers public perception will start to change. We've drafted well, we've hired the right coach, added some good players in free agency and now it's time to see these young Lakers go to work and get better.

I like the feeling we're building toward something rather than running a treadmill.

I've always liked Russell.

I don't have high expectations for Randle or Clarkson -- I think they'll be OK NBA players, but nothing special. I think Randle's flaws and defense make him a bad fit for a good team and wouldn't mind seeing him shipped out. I am much higher on Nance than him.

I want to see how Ingram and Z develop.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
This maybe the year to fly down to SoCal and catch a couple of games throughout the season. Haven't done that in a minute.

Yeah, I think this team is gonna be worth every penny.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Yeah, I think this team is gonna be worth every penny.

Yeup in entertainment value
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject:

This is how most folks in the Northeast feel about spring. 3-4 months of terrible wintery weather, and then you feel the first light of Spring.

We're sort of getting to that point. We're starting from the bottom up. Not sure if we can be out of the bottom 5 in the West, but we are slowly but steadily on the way up.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject:

See vid in signature.
mrand
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject:

Exactly my thoughts.

Even better that the whole league is still sleeping on us. Which team except the Wolves has such a young and talented foundation?

I feel like our team is comparable to the Thunder team of 7 years ago or the Warriors team of like 4 or 5 years ago.

It's gonne be one hell of a ride.

Now with Luke in charge who even knows a thing or two about how to deal with younger guys....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject:

[Just-Minged]

Last edited by Gatekeeper on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately, others don't share that same excitement here.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject:

FloppyDiskz wrote:
I'm about to lose control and I think I like it!

I got that reference.
lakershead22
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject:

I feel the same way. I can't wait for the season to start!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject:

Keep the excitement in your pants though. Please don't let your co-workers or students see it.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject:

The great young talent and defensive issues have me thinking...

'I'm so excited! I'm so excited! I'M SO SCARED!"
Agent P
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Keep the excitement in your pants though. Please don't let your co-workers or students see it.

But I want them to FEEL the excitement!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject:

Agent P wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

But I want them to FEEL the excitement!

#HR/Legal Advice.
Boybees
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: So Excited & I Just Can't Hide It.

Lakers2015 wrote:
I'm so excited about Lakers basketball again

Great post - I share your optimism. I'm patient, I want to grow with this group. I'm against trading any of the young core for an older veteran like Russ. If we can sign him next year as an FA, great - but keeps the core intact!
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Even though we are still years way from another championship, I am excited to finally have a bunch of guys that are proud to be wearing the PNG.

I hope we can ignite another rivalry with a certain bunch of leprechauns.

I hope the fans bring it every night.

I hope Zubac develops a drop-step and a solid 8 footer in the pick-n-pop.

I hope Jeanie takes over.

I hope Nance jr takes his game as far as his body and mind will allow.

I hope D-Russ is for real.

I hope Ingram respects the game enough to realize that he ain't done nothing yet.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
The great young talent and defensive issues have me thinking...

'I'm so excited! I'm so excited! I'M SO SCARED!"

Yeah, next season is going to come with a lot of frustration. We got a glimpse of it during the summer league against the Cavs. The team is going to be bad and people are expecting this big turnaround. They are going to be bad. They are going to give up leads. They are going to give up career nights to average players. They are going to be disrespected in the media. I expect for guys like Westbrook and Harden to drop 50 on these guards. The fans are going to get impatient, and eventually the front row seats will be empty... but, there will always be the die hards that continue to expect great things from 20 year olds.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
It's always great to be a Laker fan!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: