Kareem speaks at the DNC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Kareem speaks at the DNC

I know politics and sports don't mix very well, but I wanted to share that Kareem spoke at the Democratic National Convention in case any of you all missed it!

I thought his introduction was pretty hilarious:

KAJ introduces himself as Michael Jordan

^ In the way of ESPN, I'm going to have to say click the link to find out why

I was too young to watch KAJ growing up, but it seems he's changed a lot from his playing days in terms of personality.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject:

For those of you who are against clicking links, he introduces himself as Michael because he says Trump wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them anyway.

KAJ has a history with trump, iirc. Kareem bashed him in an article, and Trump sent him a very trump-esque postcard.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Kareem is not the stereotypical jock. He's also a good writer.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Best spokesperson that any sport could ask for.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Maybe it's just me as a liberal, but I prefer what Kareem's done a lot more off the court than whatever Jordan's done off the court
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Maybe it's just me as a liberal, but I prefer what Kareem's done a lot more off the court than whatever Jordan's done off the court

Kareem is a philosopher, a deep thinker and an activist. Jordan is more of a businessman.

I'll take Cap all day, any day on or off the court
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:

I'm not a fan of the political duopoly, but yeah, there's no comparison. Kareem is a thinker, scholar, writer who cares deeply about the world, regardless of his personal limitations (interpersonal skills). Jordan is a smiling salesman who has always served the brand.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Greatest player ever.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject:

A gentleman and a scholar. Articulate and erudite.

He looks great, hopefully his leukemia is in remission.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Actually he hasn't changed, he always has found a way to rub people the wrong way and to alienate himself form the norm.

I think it is because he is a deep thinker and a very smart person who speaks his mind and that is what has kept him from getting that coaching job he has always wanted..

I love Kareem, that is just my psych-profile of him...
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject:

and this is in the wrong forum
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject:

We don't see him smile often. That was funny.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject:

A great player and a wonderful mind.
VanderBlue'sJersey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Kareem speaks at the DNC

The_Dynasty24 wrote:
I know politics and sports don't mix very well, but I wanted to share that Kareem spoke at the Democratic National Convention in case any of you all missed it!

I was too young to watch KAJ growing up, but it seems he's changed a lot from his playing days in terms of personality.

First, I like how nobody in here has gotten political! Great job kids!

and 2nd, you're right, Kareem's personality has opened up much much more as he's grown. He wasn't exactly Shaquille O'Neil back then; now he's very smart, articulate, thoughtful, and he's a great spokesman for any cause. Really really smart guy
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Kareem speaks at the DNC

VanderBlue'sJersey wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:

First, I like how nobody in here has gotten political! Great job kids!

and 2nd, you're right, Kareem's personality has opened up much much more as he's grown. He wasn't exactly Shaquille O'Neil back then; now he's very smart, articulate, thoughtful, and he's a great spokesman for any cause. Really really smart guy

Kareem has always been a "very smart, articulate, thoughtful, and he's a great spokesman for any cause. Really really smart guy." He is just reserved and cerebral but he is human and can become salty at times.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject:

He's certainly utilizing that UCLA and John Wooden erudition well.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
He's certainly utilizing that UCLA and John Wooden erudition well.

None better!
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Kareem is a philosopher, a deep thinker and an activist. Jordan is more of a businessman.

Has you say, Kareem has a rich history in civil rights activism. However, I have to applaud Jordan for this:

https://theundefeated.com/features/michael-jordan-i-can-no-longer-stay-silent/
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:
pio2u wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Has you say, Kareem has a rich history in civil rights activism. However, I have to applaud Jordan for this:

This really is the wrong forum for this discussion, but I'm just gonna say that Jordan didn't really say much of anything. He made a very non-controversial statement that very few people could fault, and he did so after pretty much everyone and his uncle had already come out and given his/her 2 cents on the issue. I can't help but think that his statement was motivated more by criticism over his perceived lack of social awareness than anything else.

Jordan is no Muhammad Ali. True leaders are out in front of issues. Jordan has always been about the brand over all, because...well...people of all stripes buy sneakers, right?

Edit - I would just add that Jordan's lack engagement on these issues is particularly disappointing because, as he points out in the referenced article, his father was a murder victim.

With great power comes great responsibility (thanks, Uncle Ben)
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
pio2u wrote:
The Logo wrote:

This really is the wrong forum for this discussion, but I'm just gonna say that Jordan didn't really say much of anything. He made a very non-controversial statement that very few people could fault, and he did so after pretty much everyone and his uncle had already come out and given his/her 2 cents on the issue. I can't help but think that his statement was motivated more by criticism over his perceived lack of social awareness than anything else.

Jordan is no Muhammad Ali. True leaders are out in front of issues. Jordan has always been about the brand over all, because...well...people of all stripes buy sneakers, right?

Why does the statement have to be controversial for Jordan to be considered a leader?

Jordan expressed his point of view. He spoke of his concern and gave support to some groups working to resolve a complex and emotional issue. Perhaps his viewpoint is not as rhetoric filled as you like but it does not make him less socially aware. And even if he is not as much a social activist as some would like, does he deserve to be critically judged for having his own point of view?

Cap has always been one of the All Time Greats IMO. His demeanor alienated him at times because of the proximity of Magic at times. But the man has always been a class act. Am happy to see him healthy and engaged.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
mirak wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
pio2u wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Why does the statement have to be controversial for Jordan to be considered a leader?

Jordan expressed his point of view. He spoke of his concern and gave support to some groups working to resolve a complex and emotional issue. Perhaps his viewpoint is not as rhetoric filled as you like but it does not make him less socially aware. And even if he is not as much a social activist as some would like, does he deserve to be critically judged for having his own point of view?

Cap has always been one of the All Time Greats IMO. His demeanor alienated him at times because of the proximity of Magic at times. But the man has always been a class act. Am happy to see him healthy and engaged.

I'm just going to say that Jordan is not a leader, he's an athlete/businessman, and that's pretty much it. That's cool for him. And I get that most people probably just want their entertainers (athletes, actors, musicians) to "stay in their lane", rather than potentially ruining the entertainment experience for them. Jordan personifies this mentality.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
mirak wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
pio2u wrote:
The Logo wrote:

I'm just going to say that Jordan is not a leader, he's an athlete/businessman, and that's pretty much it. That's cool for him. And I get that most people probably just want their entertainers (athletes, actors, musicians) to "stay in their lane", rather than potentially ruining the entertainment experience for them. Jordan personifies this mentality.

Jordan is a leader always has been maybe not politically but who knows what truly goes on in his mind politically. It's not like you see Peyton Manning or Tom Brady releasing statements when a white guy is shot by a cop.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
mirak wrote:
mirak wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
pio2u wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Jordan is a leader always has been maybe not politically but who knows what truly goes on in his mind politically. It's not like you see Peyton Manning or Tom Brady releasing statements when a white guy is shot by a cop.

Well that's not the same thing, but again, I think we're in the wrong forum. I do appreciate that people have kept the conversation civil. Have a good night all.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
mirak wrote:
mirak wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
pio2u wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Well that's not the same thing, but again, I think we're in the wrong forum. I do appreciate that people have kept the conversation civil. Have a good night all.

Good night good sir.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject:

I've always liked Kareem. What a great man.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: