Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"

4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Asian ethnic groups like the Chinese and Vietnamese didn't stay in their place and let American whites, its black allies, and Latino allies run roughshod over us in our own homeland. And more than likely with China's continued rise, there will be another major conflict soon with the USA. But that's another topic for another day and I'm digressing.

The hell did this come from?

The next time you quote someone, don't cut out bits and pieces of the quote. It turns it into something else and misrepresents it.

>please don't copy and paste complete thoughts that I wrote, it's insulting

K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
K2 wrote:

^It's understandable that Constance is trying to raise awareness, considering what Asian American actors have had to deal with over the years, they've had quite an uphill climb. Even Bruce Lee's original concept of Kung Fu, which he had envisioned as a vehicle for himself, was given to David Carradine. Back in the day, Marie Matiko (Art of War) talked about the roles being offered would require Asian-American actors to do an "Asian" accent. It was a struggle to even get that aspect of it phased out in movies and television.

As far as The Great Wall's concerned, the production company Legendary Pictures (LP) is now owned by the Wanda Group, the largest operator of movie theaters in China. While they could've gone with an all Asian cast, when marketing this film globally, they were probably looking for a recognizable name that's had some decent international box-office results. US production companies have been known to bring on Chinese actors to help reach Chinese audiences (Fan Bingbing in Iron Man 3), so it's not surprising LP would bring someone like Matt Damon aboard for this one. They probably would've hired Tom Cruise he was available.

Tom Cruise would've been better since he'd make the actual Asian actors look tall.

Some of the younger actors would indeed tower over him, then again, Tom hasn't met a forced perspective shot/apple crate/pair o' platform shoes he didn't like.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Guys, this movie is fake. It's not a documentary and it is not a biography.

It's just a silly action movie that takes place in China.

It is not any more symbolic of anything than was Karate Kid II.

Jeezus. People need (bleep) to do.

I think everyone is aware of that.

The movie itself isn't symbolic of anything. It's just a movie.

The casting choices are symbolic of anything, but they do follow a pretty clear and established bias.

That's it. It's not a big grand conspiracy. It's not the end of the world. The movie may even end up being pretty good.

But it's strange seeing how people respond so differently depending on the race that has a grievance. I think it's a legitimate grievance to have. Just like other minorities have had in the past.

Should something be done to force change? I don't believe so. But when the mere fact of someone pointing it out gets her ridiculed I do think there's a problem.

I don't think the problem is racism, but is more about generally accepted cultural biases. These things naturally change over time, but only if they are recognized.

I agree with your post.

What irks me, is her misuse of the term racism. It surprises me (and then it doesn't) that people aren't more upset about the misuse of the term. That, for me being biracial, is a very, very, serious charge. The way it gets thrown around like a stage prop by libbies and SJWs and here with Wu is a problem.

She gets ridiculed, and rightfully so, for referring to a mole hill as a mountain.

Well, she's using the term as a generality. She's describing the bias in the industry as racist, not people being racist.

She's actually made tweets to emphasize that she's not blaming any people, studio, etc... She's not pointing fingers at someone crying, "racist!"

Just because the industry may suffer from racism doesn't mean that the people in it are inherently racist. They're just going along with things the way they are, not realizing.

Except the bias in the industry isn't racist. It may be discriminatory, but it isn't racist. There is a very distinct difference there. If there were racism in the industry, there would have to be a grand conspiracy to intentionally and systematically deny asians roles based solely on the color of their skin. That's not what is happening. This is the kind of casual use of the term that has become really disturbing. Racism requires an element of hatred or malice.

What's ironic about this whole thing, in a way, is that we're talking about the selection of a white actor by, in large part, a Chinese production company. So I suppose the implication is, that if you're a Chinese production company making a movie, even if based purely on fantasy, then you should hire your own kind? Not a premise I agree with. If you invest the funds in producing a film, I think you should be able to cast whoever you want since you are ultimately responsible for return on your investment.

In some ways, as a person of partial asian blood (I'm a halfie), these kinds of productions can help bridge the cultural gaps in the same way "white washing" asian cuisine has helped draw greater interest in, and appreciation for, asian food by non-asians.

If you've been to a few Asian countries, you'll see that the problem there is bigger than the problem here.

There really is an aura of White = Superior.

It's pretty sad actually. But a lot of peoples' perceptions are influenced by what they see and are told.

In a lot of Asian countries where the populace tends to be darker, you'll notice that many celebrities are like you... half white.

The whole situation reminds me of this video:

Ehh, it's not really White = Superior though. I do know what you're getting at, but they don't believe they are subordinate to the white man. LOL.

It's more like ... how some white dudes have yellow fever. Like that.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

The casting choices are symbolic of anything, but they do follow a pretty clear and established bias.

That's it. It's not a big grand conspiracy. It's not the end of the world. The movie may even end up being pretty good.

But it's strange seeing how people respond so differently depending on the race that has a grievance. I think it's a legitimate grievance to have. Just like other minorities have had in the past.

Should something be done to force change? I don't believe so. But when the mere fact of someone pointing it out gets her ridiculed I do think there's a problem.

I don't think the problem is racism, but is more about generally accepted cultural biases. These things naturally change over time, but only if they are recognized.

I agree with your post.

What irks me, is her misuse of the term racism. It surprises me (and then it doesn't) that people aren't more upset about the misuse of the term. That, for me being biracial, is a very, very, serious charge. The way it gets thrown around like a stage prop by libbies and SJWs and here with Wu is a problem.

She gets ridiculed, and rightfully so, for referring to a mole hill as a mountain.

Well, she's using the term as a generality. She's describing the bias in the industry as racist, not people being racist.

She's actually made tweets to emphasize that she's not blaming any people, studio, etc... She's not pointing fingers at someone crying, "racist!"

Just because the industry may suffer from racism doesn't mean that the people in it are inherently racist. They're just going along with things the way they are, not realizing.

Except the bias in the industry isn't racist. It may be discriminatory, but it isn't racist. There is a very distinct difference there. If there were racism in the industry, there would have to be a grand conspiracy to intentionally and systematically deny asians roles based solely on the color of their skin. That's not what is happening. This is the kind of casual use of the term that has become really disturbing. Racism requires an element of hatred or malice.

What's ironic about this whole thing, in a way, is that we're talking about the selection of a white actor by, in large part, a Chinese production company. So I suppose the implication is, that if you're a Chinese production company making a movie, even if based purely on fantasy, then you should hire your own kind? Not a premise I agree with. If you invest the funds in producing a film, I think you should be able to cast whoever you want since you are ultimately responsible for return on your investment.

In some ways, as a person of partial asian blood (I'm a halfie), these kinds of productions can help bridge the cultural gaps in the same way "white washing" asian cuisine has helped draw greater interest in, and appreciation for, asian food by non-asians.

If you've been to a few Asian countries, you'll see that the problem there is bigger than the problem here.

It's pretty sad actually. But a lot of peoples' perceptions are influenced by what they see and are told.

In a lot of Asian countries where the populace tends to be darker, you'll notice that many celebrities are like you... half white.

Ehh, it's not really White = Superior though. I do know what you're getting at, but they don't believe they are subordinate to the white man. LOL.

Not really.

Being white will have people assume you are higher class. If you're dark, you're assumed to be lower class.

White is attractive. Dark is unattractive.

Whitening creams are all the rage for a reason.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I agree with your post.

Not really.

Being white will have people assume you are higher class. If you're dark, you're assumed to be lower class.

I'd agree with that. Huge difference though between "attractive" and "higher class" and "superior".

They do think more Western features are more attractive, which is why eyelid surgeries in particular (and whitening creams as you mentioned) are not uncommon.

But they are not a group of people who believe they are subordinate to the white man. I have never heard of such a thing.

But I do agree that white people tend to be on the higher end of the social class spectrum.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I agree with your post.

Not really.

I'd agree with that. Huge difference though between "attractive" and "higher class" and "superior".

They do think more Western features are more attractive, which is why eyelid surgeries in particular (and whitening creams as you mentioned) are not uncommon.

But they are not a group of people who believe they are subordinate to the white man. I have never heard of such a thing.

But I do agree that white people tend to be on the higher end of the social class spectrum.

I don't think they necessarily see themselves as subordinate to the white man. The white man is not their boss.

But it's like the video I put up a little earlier. There are biases that media and entertainment have put in everyone, and the white hero (or villain) archetype falls into that.

Heck, often times you'll see a white person cast as the villain if they want to show the Asian hero overcoming someone truly intimidating and powerful.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"

Asian ethnic groups like the Chinese and Vietnamese didn't stay in their place and let American whites, its black allies, and Latino allies run roughshod over us in our own homeland. And more than likely with China's continued rise, there will be another major conflict soon with the USA. But that's another topic for another day and I'm digressing.

The next time you quote someone, don't cut out bits and pieces of the quote. It turns it into something else and misrepresents it.

>I love all Asians. Especially native Chinese. I also love big fat ladies with strong unyielding attitudes towards others.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
I don't think they necessarily see themselves as subordinate to the white man. The white man is not their boss.

But it's like the video I put up a little earlier. There are biases that media and entertainment have put in everyone, and the white hero (or villain) archetype falls into that.

Heck, often times you'll see a white person cast as the villain if they want to show the Asian hero overcoming someone truly intimidating and powerful.

I don't disagree that those biases in media and entertainment exist, what I don't agree with, is the notion that those biases create the behaviors you're suggesting they do. In fact, I suppose it could be argued that those biases existed first, and are manifested through the arts.

That said, sometimes, I think we have a tendency to try to force fit behaviors in to some kind of greater meaning that isn't necessarily there. Sure, you have asian tendencies to undergo eyelid surgeries and whiten their skin but is that really a reflection of anything other than they have cherry picked some things about another culture they like and have adopted?

Because white people in America spend hundreds of dollars on tanning salons to darken their skin. What does that mean? I think it just means people like to add a little color more than it some deep rooted belief that another race is superior.

And yes, Asian films do cast white heroes and villains, to represent power and intimidation. But is that necessarily a function of skin color? Because I don't see it that way. I see it as, the white person symbolizing power, because the white person represents America, and America is universally considered the most powerful nation in the world.

Interestingly, in America, we often cast non-Americans as the villains. So does that mean we think they are superior? I don't think so. But somehow that's the reasoning for when that is done in Asian films?

Sometimes, as with Constance Wu here, we're looking for something that isn't necessarily there.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I don't disagree that those biases in media and entertainment exist, what I don't agree with, is the notion that those biases create the behaviors you're suggesting they do. In fact, I suppose it could be argued that those biases existed first, and are manifested through the arts.

It's probably a little bit of both. Light skin already meant that you didn't have to work out in the fields.

Movies and TV aren't 100% responsible for creating these kinds of biases. But they do have a very very wide influence, and propagating those archetypes doesn't help, and probably hurts.

Quote:
That said, sometimes, I think we have a tendency to try to force fit behaviors in to some kind of greater meaning that isn't necessarily there. Sure, you have asian tendencies to undergo eyelid surgeries and whiten their skin but is that really a reflection of anything other than they have cherry picked some things about another culture they like and have adopted?

Because white people in America spend hundreds of dollars on tanning salons to darken their skin. What does that mean? I think it just means people like to add a little color more than it some deep rooted belief that another race is superior.

I don't think they're trying to be white people. I agree that those things are probably just things that they like.

They don't see white people in general as superior, but in the world a white person is given a certain amount of automatic respect. Nobody in particular is to blame. It's just the way things are. I don't think there was a plan to try to portray white people to the world in a certain way in order to achieve some goal of white strength. It's kind of happened by accident.

Quote:
And yes, Asian films do cast white heroes and villains, to represent power and intimidation. But is that necessarily a function of skin color? Because I don't see it that way. I see it as, the white person symbolizing power, because the white person represents America, and America is universally considered the most powerful nation in the world.

I can see that. They do that with Europeans too. But when most foreigners think of Americans or Brits, they think white. That's their image of power.

Quote:
Interestingly, in America, we often cast non-Americans as the villains. So does that mean we think they are superior? I don't think so. But somehow that's the reasoning for when that is done in Asian films?

The villain is morally corrupt. And yes, many movies see white people as morally corrupt. Especially if that white person is from the country that may have conquered them.

Quote:
Sometimes, as with Constance Wu here, we're looking for something that isn't necessarily there.

I think people are reading more into what she said than she meant. She was speaking as this being an example of the industry as a whole. Why must studios fear an Asian lead? Why aren't they given the chance?

We know the answer is money. It's safer to have a white guy.

That awareness... knowing that studios just feel having a white guy is a safe investment is something that we have to be cognizant of if anything is going to change over time. Otherwise no progress ever happens.

She wasn't blaming anyone. She wasn't blaming the studios involved. She wasn't blaming Damon. She was pointing out how Asians are treated differently with the hopes that maybe next time, someone will be more aware when they are writing or casting.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject:

there has been small but subtle shifts for Asians in hollywood.
I think the first recent hollywood movie I can remember with an Asian dude as the romantic lead was "the warriors way" with Dong-gun Jang and Kate Bosworth.

Then you got Glenn from the walking dead, the korean couple in LOST, Jet Li in that movie with Aaliyah...

so its happening.. slower than most would probably prefer.. but what can you do?
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject:

I'd never heard of this movie till I saw this thread. I watched the trailer...and I laughed. I dunno why people are taking this movie seriously, it looks ridiculous. Half the cast is Chinese, filmed in China with a Chinese director (Zhang Yimou...directed Hero...go watch Hero if you haven't seen it). I think in this instance Constance Wu is incorrect. Just my opinion.

Having asian males in lead roles in Hollywood is a legit issue though. I can't remember the last movie I saw where the main romantic interest was an asian male. I grew up in the 80's and I swear if an asian male was in a movie he was either a nerd or a ninja, lol.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
I think the first recent hollywood movie I can remember with an Asian dude as the romantic lead was "the warriors way" with Dong-gun Jang and Kate Bosworth.

Then you got Glenn from the walking dead, the korean couple in LOST, Jet Li in that movie with Aaliyah...

so its happening.. slower than most would probably prefer.. but what can you do?

Just bring awareness to the more blatant situations.

It helps keep things moving forward, even if slowly. Better than people thinking there is no issue at all.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"

lakersken80 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Look what we have here, a PLA general itching for a fight.....
BTW, the CCP's biggest concern is its own people. They would rather run them over with tanks then let them have a sliver of democracy.

Nah, It's America that's itching for a fight. The number of troops stationed in East Asia by Uncle Sam, particularly in Korea and Japan would attest to that.

Anyways, on this topic. Production companies can hire anyone they want. For the life of me, I don't know why these Westernized Asians want to be in these movies. Many of the roles are downright degrading and dehumanizing what many of these roles called for. IF they want an acting career, go overseas to their own ethnic homelands where success is much higher.

Those troops were there since WW2 and have decreased over time. But the CCP's "peaceful rise" is all a sham.They have always envied America's strength and used goodwill from Presidents like Nixon and Clinton giving one sided trade deals and offshoring thinking it would build friendship, but instead used those gains to build up their armed forces targeting specifically the USA. Only problem was the current man in charge overestimated his strength and though he could bully their way in the SCS. Now they either have to save face and fight back and risk losing it all or backing down and going back to the diplomatic table to resolve their disputes with their neighbors. Backing down goes against what the CCP have been telling their own people thru the media so here we are.

And BTW, do you know why some Asian Americans don't want to go back to their "homeland" to act? Their parents migrated away from it for a reason, whether for economic or political reasons. These people grew up here. It is their home. They want to work where they live.

I'll just address the bottom portion to get this thread back on track.

Examples of westernized Asians starting a career in Asia would be Bruce Lee and Daniel Wu, whom both went back to their own ethnic homelands, specifically a place like Hong Kong to make it happen. They were both born in the USA, and had many years of living in the country, but it was HK that let them shine. There are also many other examples where westernized Asians went back home such as Japan, S. Korea, Taiwan, to jump start a career. It's a much better alternative, imo. A guy like Daniel Wu doesn't even speak any Chinese dialect and was a star in Hong Kong! Maggie Q who doesn't even have 1 drop of Han blood in her or speak any Chinese dialect had a very good career over there. Both now have returned to the USA and have tv shows. If any westernized Asian wants to work in the entertainment industry try Asia. Far better roles, far better opportunities. Countries like Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, S. Korea are well off countries that are politically stable, even Hong Kong a special administrative region of China is known for it's high standard of living and its film industry. Is it a big change for these westernized Asians to go back to their ethnic homelands? Sure it is, but if they want to have an opportunity to jump start a career and have decent roles, it's in the East and not the West.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:

I was an extra in that movie.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject:

^ Were you able to be in any scenes with Jet Li or Aaliyah? Saw RMD a couple of times, it was Jet Li's first starring role in a U.S. film. He was promised by Joel Silver that if he agreed to be the villain in Lethal Weapon 4, he'd be the lead in the next film. RMD turned out to be better than his other Hollywood efforts like The One, C2G, and KotD.

Last edited by K2 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"

lakersken80 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

BTW, the CCP's biggest concern is its own people. They would rather run them over with tanks then let them have a sliver of democracy.

Nah, It's America that's itching for a fight. The number of troops stationed in East Asia by Uncle Sam, particularly in Korea and Japan would attest to that.

Anyways, on this topic. Production companies can hire anyone they want. For the life of me, I don't know why these Westernized Asians want to be in these movies. Many of the roles are downright degrading and dehumanizing what many of these roles called for. IF they want an acting career, go overseas to their own ethnic homelands where success is much higher.

Those troops were there since WW2 and have decreased over time. But the CCP's "peaceful rise" is all a sham.They have always envied America's strength and used goodwill from Presidents like Nixon and Clinton giving one sided trade deals and offshoring thinking it would build friendship, but instead used those gains to build up their armed forces targeting specifically the USA. Only problem was the current man in charge overestimated his strength and though he could bully their way in the SCS. Now they either have to save face and fight back and risk losing it all or backing down and going back to the diplomatic table to resolve their disputes with their neighbors. Backing down goes against what the CCP have been telling their own people thru the media so here we are.

And BTW, do you know why some Asian Americans don't want to go back to their "homeland" to act? Their parents migrated away from it for a reason, whether for economic or political reasons. These people grew up here. It is their home. They want to work where they live.

Examples of westernized Asians starting a career in Asia would be Bruce Lee and Daniel Wu, whom both went back to their own ethnic homelands, specifically a place like Hong Kong to make it happen. They were both born in the USA, and had many years of living in the country, but it was HK that let them shine. There are also many other examples where westernized Asians went back home such as Japan, S. Korea, Taiwan, to jump start a career. It's a much better alternative, imo. A guy like Daniel Wu doesn't even speak any Chinese dialect and was a star in Hong Kong! Maggie Q who doesn't even have 1 drop of Han blood in her or speak any Chinese dialect had a very good career over there. Both now have returned to the USA and have tv shows. If any westernized Asian wants to work in the entertainment industry try Asia. Far better roles, far better opportunities. Countries like Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, S. Korea are well off countries that are politically stable, even Hong Kong a special administrative region of China is known for it's high standard of living and its film industry. Is it a big change for these westernized Asians to go back to their ethnic homelands? Sure it is, but if they want to have an opportunity to jump start a career and have decent roles, it's in the East and not the West.

So who's going to e-mail Ms. Wu about the "Go back to Asia" campaign?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Did you get beat up in it? That would be cool to show friends... "See that guy that got kicked in the face and flipped over backwards... that's me!!!"

Man, I remember how Romeo Must Die was kind of marketed as some forbidden romance thing. Then when I watched it I laughed at how at the end him an Aaliyah just hugged instead of the typical make out scene when a hero goes through hell to save a girl.

Interesting article about that...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/24/AR2007052402573.html
Quote:
...talks about the revised ending for the action movie "Romeo Must Die," a retelling of "Romeo and Juliet" where the R&B star Aaliyah plays Juliet to the Chinese actor Jet Li's Romeo. The original ending had Aaliyah kissing Li, a scenario that didn't test well with an "urban audience." So the studio changed it. The new ending had Aaliyah giving Li a tight hug. Says Cajayon, "Mainstream America, for the most part, gets uncomfortable with seeing an Asian man portrayed in a sexual light."
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"

lakersken80 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

So who's going to e-mail Ms. Wu about the "Go back to Asia" campaign?

She's fighting for equality right here in USA
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:

I think the shift started when the Japanese, particularly Sony Corp., became heavy hitters in Hollywood. Prior to Sony purchasing Columbia Pictures Entertainment and becoming Sony Pictures Entertainment, Asians were pretty much fair game for rather rude, racist jokes like Sixteen Candles. Asian men may not have leading romantic roles yet, but with an upwardly mobile domestic Asian populace, I believe it to be only a matter of time.

A couple of additional factors:

1) The continued piracy of intellectual property in China means that there is less incentive to invest in Asian lead actors.

2) The eventual Asian romantic lead will probably emerge from a well-received, lower budget movie that generates a hefty profit. Hollywood is all about the money; there is no way Hollywood studios will invest the big bucks required for a major theatrical release behind an actor who can't bring a huge gate with him.

In a nutshell, it's all about money.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

are you white or asian?

LOL!
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Maybe Jackie Chan but yes I agree.

Jackie Chan's skills are limited to a very narrow genre of film.

The reality is, if no one breaks the cycle and casts an Asian in an Asian role despite the lack of recognition, the cycle will just repeat.

Make a good film, cast it well (and appropriately) and people will go.

John Lone in The Last Emperor comes to mind.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Did you get beat up in it? That would be cool to show friends... "See that guy that got kicked in the face and flipped over backwards... that's me!!!"

Man, I remember how Romeo Must Die was kind of marketed as some forbidden romance thing. Then when I watched it I laughed at how at the end him an Aaliyah just hugged instead of the typical make out scene when a hero goes through hell to save a girl.

Interesting article about that...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/24/AR2007052402573.html
Quote:
...talks about the revised ending for the action movie "Romeo Must Die," a retelling of "Romeo and Juliet" where the R&B star Aaliyah plays Juliet to the Chinese actor Jet Li's Romeo. The original ending had Aaliyah kissing Li, a scenario that didn't test well with an "urban audience." So the studio changed it. The new ending had Aaliyah giving Li a tight hug. Says Cajayon, "Mainstream America, for the most part, gets uncomfortable with seeing an Asian man portrayed in a sexual light."
Lol, nah. It was filmed in Vancouver and I got paid $75 for 2.5 hours of work. I was an extra in the jail scene where he broke out. Not that exciting of a story.

I was also an extra in the movie Saving Silverman. That was the end of my illustrious acting career.

Last edited by Vancouver Fan on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

are you white or asian?

LOL!
Asian of course.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

are you white or asian?

LOL!
Asian of course.

and they say we have a problem.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject:

We need a petition to replace Matt Damon with Vancouver Fan.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: