Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject:

sign me up.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Damon is one of my favorite actors but he should have left this one alone. There's good Asian actors out there that they could have got for the lead role.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Damon is one of my favorite actors but he should have left this one alone. There's good Asian actors out there that they could have got for the lead role.

It's a Chinese production company that cast him. It's pretty clear their intent was to have a host of Asian actors surround the big name white dude. If it wasn't Damon, it would have been someone else. What a silly notion that he should have left this alone.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
there has been small but subtle shifts for Asians in hollywood.
I think the first recent hollywood movie I can remember with an Asian dude as the romantic lead was "the warriors way" with Dong-gun Jang and Kate Bosworth.

Then you got Glenn from the walking dead, the korean couple in LOST, Jet Li in that movie with Aaliyah...

so its happening.. slower than most would probably prefer.. but what can you do?
I was an extra in that movie.

Did you get beat up in it? That would be cool to show friends... "See that guy that got kicked in the face and flipped over backwards... that's me!!!"

Man, I remember how Romeo Must Die was kind of marketed as some forbidden romance thing. Then when I watched it I laughed at how at the end him an Aaliyah just hugged instead of the typical make out scene when a hero goes through hell to save a girl.

Interesting article about that...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/24/AR2007052402573.html
Quote:
...talks about the revised ending for the action movie "Romeo Must Die," a retelling of "Romeo and Juliet" where the R&B star Aaliyah plays Juliet to the Chinese actor Jet Li's Romeo. The original ending had Aaliyah kissing Li, a scenario that didn't test well with an "urban audience." So the studio changed it. The new ending had Aaliyah giving Li a tight hug. Says Cajayon, "Mainstream America, for the most part, gets uncomfortable with seeing an Asian man portrayed in a sexual light."
Lol, nah. It was filmed in Vancouver and I got paid $75 for 2.5 hours of work. I was an extra in the jail scene where he broke out. Not that exciting of a story.

I was also an extra in the movie Saving Silverman. That was the end of my illustrious acting career.

Saving Silverman was terrible.

Whatever they paid you wasn't enough to endure that mess.

Bye.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

Let me guess, Jordan Clarkson?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Let me guess, Jordan Clarkson?

Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject:

I wonder what Jason Scott Lee is up to nowadays.
NYCLaker
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Hollywood has been producing crap for many years and the best actors in Hollywood are primarily Europeans moreso than Americans or anyone else.

In Asia, China where the money is at, however, Korea is the biggest entertainment industry in Asia. IF anyone is interested, I can give you some quick looks into asia/european cinema worth watching
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject:

http://asianmoviepulse.com/2016/08/g...g-controversy/

Quote:

‘The Great Wall’ Director, Zhang Yimou, defends Matt Damon from Whitewashing Controversy

The Great Wall is an upcoming American-Chinese fantasy adventure action movie by Zhang Yimou. The legendary director of House of Flying Daggers, Hero and The Flowers of War.

Starring Matt Damon, Jing Tian, Pedro Pascal, Willem Dafoe, and Andy Lau. This is Zhang Yimou’s first large budget English-production that is entirely filmed in China.

Matt Damon in The Great Wall has become the centre of attention since the release of the first trailer last week. The film is currently under fire for whitewashing due to the focus on the actor in the trailer.

However, Zhang Yimou has recently responded in a statement to Entertainment Weekly:

Matt Damon is not playing a role that was originally conceived for a Chinese actor. The arrival of his character in our story is an important plot point. There are five major heroes in our story and he is one of them — the other four are all Chinese. The collective struggle and sacrifice of these heroes are the emotional heart of our film. As the director of over 20 Chinese language films and the Beijing Olympics, I have not and will not cast a film in a way that was untrue to my artistic vision. I hope when everyone sees the film and is armed with the facts they will agree.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://asianmoviepulse.com/2016/08/g...g-controversy/

Quote:

‘The Great Wall’ Director, Zhang Yimou, defends Matt Damon from Whitewashing Controversy

The Great Wall is an upcoming American-Chinese fantasy adventure action movie by Zhang Yimou. The legendary director of House of Flying Daggers, Hero and The Flowers of War.

Starring Matt Damon, Jing Tian, Pedro Pascal, Willem Dafoe, and Andy Lau. This is Zhang Yimou’s first large budget English-production that is entirely filmed in China.

Matt Damon in The Great Wall has become the centre of attention since the release of the first trailer last week. The film is currently under fire for whitewashing due to the focus on the actor in the trailer.

However, Zhang Yimou has recently responded in a statement to Entertainment Weekly:

Matt Damon is not playing a role that was originally conceived for a Chinese actor. The arrival of his character in our story is an important plot point. There are five major heroes in our story and he is one of them — the other four are all Chinese. The collective struggle and sacrifice of these heroes are the emotional heart of our film. As the director of over 20 Chinese language films and the Beijing Olympics, I have not and will not cast a film in a way that was untrue to my artistic vision. I hope when everyone sees the film and is armed with the facts they will agree.

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/matt-damon-defends-the-great-wall-casting-amid-whitewashing-claims/ar-AAld4te?

Quote:
Matt Damon Defends 'The Great Wall' Casting Amid Whitewashing Claims

Matt Damon is once again defending The Great Wall against accusations of whitewashing.

"The whole idea of whitewashing, I take that very seriously," Damon told The Associated Press , citing the 1962 film Geronimo and its casting of a white American actor in the role of the Native American chief as an example.

Directed by legendary Chinese filmmaker Zhang Yimou, The Great Wall is set 1,000 years ago, and stars Damon as an English mercenary faced with a slew of fantastical monsters. Since the film's trailer was released earlier this year, The Great Wall has been slammed by critics for featuring Damon as a lead character. "We have to stop perpetuating the racist myth that [only a] white man can save the world," Fresh Off the Boat actress Constance Wu wrote in a widely circulated post denouncing the film.
© Universal Pictures
Speaking to the AP, Damon said he believes the 30-second trailer blew up as it did and faced such a wide range of controversy thanks to the age of click-bait stories.

"It suddenly becomes a story because people click on it, versus the traditional ways that a story would get vetted before it would get to that point," Damon said. "Eventually, you stop clicking on some of those more outrageous things because you just realize there is nothing to the story when you get to it."

Following the initial release of the trailer and subsequent backlash, Yimou released a statement to EW, saying that the film is "deeply rooted in Chinese culture, with one of the largest Chinese casts ever assembled, and is being made at tent pole scale for a world audience." The director also noted that Damon's role was not "originally conceived for a Chinese actor."

"The arrival of his character in our story is an important plot point. There are five major heroes in our story and he is one of them -- the other four are Chinese," Yimou added.

Damon has responded to criticism over the film before. At New York Comic-Con in October, he called the negative reaction a "----ing bummer."

Damon went on to explain that he understood the concerns, but hoped people would wait until viewing the movie in its entirety before jumping to conclusions.

"If people see this movie and there is somehow whitewashing involved in a creature feature that we made up, then I will listen to that with my whole heart," he said. "I will think about that and try to learn from that. I will be surprised if people see this movie and have that reaction. I think you are undermining your own credibility when you attack something without seeing it. You have to educate yourself about what it is before making your attack or your argument and then it's easier to listen to from my side."

The Great Wall is out on Feb. 17. 2017.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Just had a convo about this with a friend. Hollywood is trying to penetrate Chinese market and the Chinese governement has a quota of non-local made movie that can be shown domestically, somewhere around 30-40 per year. So the past couple years, Hollywood has actually moved their production to China and moved production there (I think Dragon Blade was one of them) so it counts as a local made movie. I'm not sure if it has to have joint venture/if it has to be under a chinese film company.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: