Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I give up. Some of you seem to be incapable of understanding the point. You are so locked into a different discussion that you cannot hear something different.

Perhaps your point was lost or confusing when instead of merely addressing her, you were pretty demeaning. It's pretty unusual for you, because I've seen you try to understand concerns from other minority groups, even when you felt they were wrong. You weren't demeaning with a "get over yourself" attitude unless they were being particularly abrasive, arrogant or ridiculous.

It really did come across badly. Especially considering Asians are typically viewed as subservient. It comes across as you buying into that stereotype, whether you know it or not.

Arrogant and ridiculous applies here. What she said was really stupid. Oh, yeah, casting Matt Damon in this movie perpetuates the racist notion that POCs need salvation from white people. Sure, The Great Wall should be renamed Birth of a Nation II.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I give up. Some of you seem to be incapable of understanding the point. You are so locked into a different discussion that you cannot hear something different.

Perhaps your point was lost or confusing when instead of merely addressing her, you were pretty demeaning. It's pretty unusual for you, because I've seen you try to understand concerns from other minority groups, even when you felt they were wrong. You weren't demeaning with a "get over yourself" attitude unless they were being particularly abrasive, arrogant or ridiculous.

It really did come across badly. Especially considering Asians are typically viewed as subservient. It comes across as you buying into that stereotype, whether you know it or not.

Arrogant and ridiculous applies here. What she said was really stupid. Oh, yeah, casting Matt Damon in this movie perpetuates the racist notion that POCs need salvation from white people. Sure, The Great Wall should be renamed Birth of a Nation II.

I think you're way off here.

You have the right to your opinion, but I don't think people are misunderstanding you. You're being pretty dismissive and arrogant yourself here, and it's bound to rub many the wrong way.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Okay, but if you think that casting Matt Damon as the lead in an action movie set in China perpetuates the racist notion that POCs need salvation from white people, then I think you're being just as ridiculous as Ms. Wu. There comes a point at which even open-minded people like me are going to see this sort of nonsense as political correctness run amok. I guess Hollywood has a duty to teach the Chinese that they can be their own saviors in a battle against imaginary CGI monsters in an action movie.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Okay, but if you think that casting Matt Damon as the lead in an action movie set in China perpetuates the racist notion that POCs need salvation from white people, then I think you're being just as ridiculous as Ms. Wu. There comes a point at which even open-minded people like me are going to see this sort of nonsense as political correctness run amok. I guess Hollywood has a duty to teach the Chinese that they can be their own saviors in a battle against imaginary CGI monsters in an action movie.

I don't really agree with her, but I can see where she's coming from.

This movie isn't the cause of any such notion, and it likely doesn't advance it. It merely falls in line with the general theme that in order for an Asian themed movie to have success, the hero should be white.

Her description is an exaggeration that is likely made to drive home a point. The movie industry believes that Asian male actors aren't capable of carrying a film. Also, much of the viewing populace (such as yourself) agrees.

There comes a point where it gets ridiculous. Creating a story about The Great Wall and specifically writing a part so it could star a white hero is part of that ridiculousness. Far more ridiculous than what Wu has exaggerated about. But it's a ridiculousness that people are used to and accept.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Guys, this movie is fake. It's not a documentary and it is not a biography.

It's just a silly action movie that takes place in China.

It is not any more symbolic of anything than was Karate Kid II.

Jeezus. People need (bleep) to do.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

I think everyone is aware of that.

The movie itself isn't symbolic of anything. It's just a movie.

The casting choices are symbolic of anything, but they do follow a pretty clear and established bias.

That's it. It's not a big grand conspiracy. It's not the end of the world. The movie may even end up being pretty good.

But it's strange seeing how people respond so differently depending on the race that has a grievance. I think it's a legitimate grievance to have. Just like other minorities have had in the past.

Should something be done to force change? I don't believe so. But when the mere fact of someone pointing it out gets her ridiculed I do think there's a problem.

I don't think the problem is racism, but is more about generally accepted cultural biases. These things naturally change over time, but only if they are recognized.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

The casting choices are symbolic of anything, but they do follow a pretty clear and established bias.

That's it. It's not a big grand conspiracy. It's not the end of the world. The movie may even end up being pretty good.

But it's strange seeing how people respond so differently depending on the race that has a grievance. I think it's a legitimate grievance to have. Just like other minorities have had in the past.

Should something be done to force change? I don't believe so. But when the mere fact of someone pointing it out gets her ridiculed I do think there's a problem.

I don't think the problem is racism, but is more about generally accepted cultural biases. These things naturally change over time, but only if they are recognized.

I agree with your post.

What irks me, is her misuse of the term racism. It surprises me (and then it doesn't) that people aren't more upset about the misuse of the term. That, for me being biracial, is a very, very, serious charge. The way it gets thrown around like a stage prop by libbies and SJWs and here with Wu is a problem.

She gets ridiculed, and rightfully so, for referring to a mole hill as a mountain.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I agree with your post.

What irks me, is her misuse of the term racism. It surprises me (and then it doesn't) that people aren't more upset about the misuse of the term. That, for me being biracial, is a very, very, serious charge. The way it gets thrown around like a stage prop by libbies and SJWs and here with Wu is a problem.

She gets ridiculed, and rightfully so, for referring to a mole hill as a mountain.

Well, she's using the term as a generality. She's describing the bias in the industry as racist, not people being racist.

She's actually made tweets to emphasize that she's not blaming any people, studio, etc... She's not pointing fingers at someone crying, "racist!"

Just because the industry may suffer from racism doesn't mean that the people in it are inherently racist. They're just going along with things the way they are, not realizing.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I agree with your post.

Well, she's using the term as a generality. She's describing the bias in the industry as racist, not people being racist.

She's actually made tweets to emphasize that she's not blaming any people, studio, etc... She's not pointing fingers at someone crying, "racist!"

Just because the industry may suffer from racism doesn't mean that the people in it are inherently racist. They're just going along with things the way they are, not realizing.

Except the bias in the industry isn't racist. It may be discriminatory, but it isn't racist. There is a very distinct difference there. If there were racism in the industry, there would have to be a grand conspiracy to intentionally and systematically deny asians roles based solely on the color of their skin. That's not what is happening. This is the kind of casual use of the term that has become really disturbing. Racism requires an element of hatred or malice.

What's ironic about this whole thing, in a way, is that we're talking about the selection of a white actor by, in large part, a Chinese production company. So I suppose the implication is, that if you're a Chinese production company making a movie, even if based purely on fantasy, then you should hire your own kind? Not a premise I agree with. If you invest the funds in producing a film, I think you should be able to cast whoever you want since you are ultimately responsible for return on your investment.

In some ways, as a person of partial asian blood (I'm a halfie), these kinds of productions can help bridge the cultural gaps in the same way "white washing" asian cuisine has helped draw greater interest in, and appreciation for, asian food by non-asians.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

^It's understandable that Constance is trying to raise awareness, considering what Asian American actors have had to deal with over the years, they've had quite an uphill climb. Even Bruce Lee's original concept of Kung Fu, which he had envisioned as a vehicle for himself, was given to David Carradine. Back in the day, Marie Matiko (Art of War) talked about the roles being offered would require Asian-American actors to do an "Asian" accent. It was a struggle to even get that aspect of it phased out in movies and television.

As far as The Great Wall's concerned, the production company Legendary Pictures (LP) is now owned by the Wanda Group, the largest operator of movie theaters in China. While they could've gone with an all Asian cast, when marketing this film globally, they were probably looking for a recognizable name that's had some decent international box-office results. US production companies have been known to bring on Chinese actors to help reach Chinese audiences (Fan Bingbing in Iron Man 3), so it's not surprising LP would bring someone like Matt Damon aboard for this one. They probably would've hired Tom Cruise he was available.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"

Meh, at the end of the day it's just some entertainment. In the grand scheme of things, its not that important. Hollywood can do what they want, it's their money, studios, and their white race that founded Hollywood.

However, as someone (probably an Asian member) pointed out here, we don't like to be told to stay in our place. As a few, probably white members here and their half white/Asian member have suggested we do. Asian ethnic groups like the Chinese and Vietnamese didn't stay in their place and let American whites, its black allies, and Latino allies run roughshod over us in our own homeland. And more than likely with China's continued rise, there will be another major conflict soon with the USA. But that's another topic for another day and I'm digressing.

As I've said, your money, your system, and your values, and your white race founded Hollywood. Do what you want.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
I thought it was weird when I saw a poster for the first time. Bizarre.

Reminds me of this

mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Hollywood is all about entertainment. It's about creating fantasy worlds. If executives want to sell a story about a wicked smart, lily-white dude from Boston saving China from CGI monsters, more power to them. It's not any more ridiculous than white Moses, white Jesus, or (European) Egyptian gods showing up on our movie screens. Again, we're talking about a fantasy world created mostly by middle-aged white men. That's why in today's movies, the starlet often falls for the the dude that looks like Seth Rogen or Woody Allen (because he's the guy writing the scripts, more often than not). Pure fantasy.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"

4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
Meh, at the end of the day it's just some entertainment. In the grand scheme of things, its not that important. Hollywood can do what they want, it's their money, studios, and their white race that founded Hollywood.

However, as someone (probably an Asian member) pointed out here, we don't like to be told to stay in our place. As a few, probably white members here and their half white/Asian member have suggested we do. Asian ethnic groups like the Chinese and Vietnamese didn't stay in their place and let American whites, its black allies, and Latino allies run roughshod over us in our own homeland. And more than likely with China's continued rise, there will be another major conflict soon with the USA. But that's another topic for another day and I'm digressing.

As I've said, your money, your system, and your values, and your white race founded Hollywood. Do what you want.

The production company behind this film is Chinese.

So we are going to tell a Chinese production company that they must hire their own kind? Thats not cool.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

^It's understandable that Constance is trying to raise awareness, considering what Asian American actors have had to deal with over the years, they've had quite an uphill climb. Even Bruce Lee's original concept of Kung Fu, which he had envisioned as a vehicle for himself, was given to David Carradine. Back in the day, Marie Matiko (Art of War) talked about the roles being offered would require Asian-American actors to do an "Asian" accent. It was a struggle to even get that aspect of it phased out in movies and television.

As far as The Great Wall's concerned, the production company Legendary Pictures (LP) is now owned by the Wanda Group, the largest operator of movie theaters in China. While they could've gone with an all Asian cast, when marketing this film globally, they were probably looking for a recognizable name that's had some decent international box-office results. US production companies have been known to bring on Chinese actors to help reach Chinese audiences (Fan Bingbing in Iron Man 3), so it's not surprising LP would bring someone like Matt Damon aboard for this one. They probably would've hired Tom Cruise he was available.

Tom Cruise would've been better since he'd make the actual Asian actors look tall.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"

Asian ethnic groups like the Chinese and Vietnamese didn't stay in their place and let American whites, its black allies, and Latino allies run roughshod over us in our own homeland. And more than likely with China's continued rise, there will be another major conflict soon with the USA. But that's another topic for another day and I'm digressing.

The hell did this come from?
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"

ringfinger wrote:

The production company behind this film is Chinese.

So we are going to tell a Chinese production company that they must hire their own kind? Thats not cool.

I feel that a Chinese production company should hire its own, just like an White American company should hire their own. I also agree with the sentiment that hey, its someone's money, they should do with it as they wish, hire anyone they please. I'm not into telling someone who they should hire. So, Constance Wu, imo is out of line. Now, before someone says it's a contradiction on my part. No, it's not. Just because I feel that a company should hire its own, but doesn't. Doesn't mean that I have a right to tell a company on who they should hire.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Asian ethnic groups like the Chinese and Vietnamese didn't stay in their place and let American whites, its black allies, and Latino allies run roughshod over us in our own homeland. And more than likely with China's continued rise, there will be another major conflict soon with the USA. But that's another topic for another day and I'm digressing.

The next time you quote someone, don't cut out bits and pieces of the quote. It turns it into something else and misrepresents it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"

This topic has generated some peculiar responses.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"

Look what we have here, a PLA general itching for a fight.....
BTW, the CCP's biggest concern is its own people. They would rather run them over with tanks then let them have a sliver of democracy.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"

From Alfred Rosenberg, and his theories on racial purity and lebensraum.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"

lakersken80 wrote:

BTW, the CCP's biggest concern is its own people. They would rather run them over with tanks then let them have a sliver of democracy.

Nah, It's America that's itching for a fight. The number of troops stationed in East Asia by Uncle Sam, particularly in Korea and Japan would attest to that.

Anyways, on this topic. Production companies can hire anyone they want. For the life of me, I don't know why these Westernized Asians want to be in these movies. Many of the roles are downright degrading and dehumanizing what many of these roles called for. IF they want an acting career, go overseas to their own ethnic homelands where success is much higher.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"

lakersken80 wrote:

Nah, It's America that's itching for a fight. The number of troops stationed in East Asia by Uncle Sam, particularly in Korea and Japan would attest to that.

Anyways, on this topic. Production companies can hire anyone they want. For the life of me, I don't know why these Westernized Asians want to be in these movies. Many of the roles are downright degrading and dehumanizing what many of these roles called for. IF they want an acting career, go overseas to their own ethnic homelands where success is much higher.

Those troops were there since WW2 and have decreased over time. But the CCP's "peaceful rise" is all a sham.They have always envied America's strength and used goodwill from Presidents like Nixon and Clinton giving one sided trade deals and offshoring thinking it would build friendship, but instead used those gains to build up their armed forces targeting specifically the USA. Only problem was the current man in charge overestimated his strength and though he could bully their way in the SCS. Now they either have to save face and fight back and risk losing it all or backing down and going back to the diplomatic table to resolve their disputes with their neighbors. Backing down goes against what the CCP have been telling their own people thru the media so here we are.

And BTW, do you know why some Asian Americans don't want to go back to their "homeland" to act? Their parents migrated away from it for a reason, whether for economic or political reasons. These people grew up here. It is their home. They want to work where they live.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I agree with your post.

Except the bias in the industry isn't racist. It may be discriminatory, but it isn't racist. There is a very distinct difference there. If there were racism in the industry, there would have to be a grand conspiracy to intentionally and systematically deny asians roles based solely on the color of their skin. That's not what is happening. This is the kind of casual use of the term that has become really disturbing. Racism requires an element of hatred or malice.

What's ironic about this whole thing, in a way, is that we're talking about the selection of a white actor by, in large part, a Chinese production company. So I suppose the implication is, that if you're a Chinese production company making a movie, even if based purely on fantasy, then you should hire your own kind? Not a premise I agree with. If you invest the funds in producing a film, I think you should be able to cast whoever you want since you are ultimately responsible for return on your investment.

In some ways, as a person of partial asian blood (I'm a halfie), these kinds of productions can help bridge the cultural gaps in the same way "white washing" asian cuisine has helped draw greater interest in, and appreciation for, asian food by non-asians.

If you've been to a few Asian countries, you'll see that the problem there is bigger than the problem here.

There really is an aura of White = Superior.

It's pretty sad actually. But a lot of peoples' perceptions are influenced by what they see and are told.

In a lot of Asian countries where the populace tends to be darker, you'll notice that many celebrities are like you... half white.

The whole situation reminds me of this video:
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Actress Constance Wu slams Matt Damon casting in "The Great Wall": It perpetuates a "racist myth"

`

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: