Kobe's first TV ad for Nike to debut Thursday
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Light It Up
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Kobe's first TV ad for Nike to debut Thursday

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2323992

NEW YORK -- Pleased with his play on the court, Nike is ready to test Kobe Bryant's ability as a salesman.

Bryant's first televised ad with the shoe company will debut during NBA programming Thursday night, more than 2½ years after he signed an endorsement deal with the sneaker company in the summer of 2003. Soon after he struck the deal with Nike, Bryant was charged with sexual assault in Colorado.

The ad coincides with the release of the Zoom Kobe I sneaker Saturday and seeks to capitalize on Bryant's renewed popularity. Interest in the Los Angeles Lakers star has been the on rise this season, especially after his 81-point game last month, the second-highest total in NBA history.

"Kobe's inclusion in marketing and promotional material is an acknowledgment of his elevated level of sports performance," Nike said in a statement.

The commercial shows Bryant shooting free throws, then doing other drills. His voice narrates, 'Love me or hate me, it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved, for the exact same reasons."

The theme of the ad seems to play off the fact that Bryant, though long one of the NBA's best players, has never enjoyed total acceptance from fans.

He was booed near his hometown when the 2002 All-Star game was in Philadelphia, and was viewed by many as the driving force behind the breakup of the Lakers because of his feud with Shaquille O'Neal.

His image took a major hit when he was accused of sexual assault by a woman in June 2003 at a Colorado hotel. The criminal trial fell apart when the woman refused to testify, and a settlement was reached in the civil suit.

Though Bryant lost endorsements with McDonald's and Nutella as a result, Nike kept him under contract, though the company didn't use him until a print ad last summer.

"He's part of the Nike group of athletes that endorse our product," said Rodney Knox, Nike's director of communications for basketball. "There's been no change. Our relationship with Kobe has remained intact."

Bryant was asked recently how he thought he was viewed by fans.

"I think they're seeing a person who's determined, who's focused on being one of the best basketball players and is trying to elevate his team to get back to that elite status," he said. "Despite whatever challenges, mountains and obstacles were in his way, he's been able to overcome it and continue to battle through it.

"And everybody has their own crosses to bear. Mine isn't different from anybody else's here but we all have our crosses. The point is to pick that cross up and carry it."
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait
Manu
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject:

The ad sounds pretty sweet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Coop_21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
'Love me or hate me, it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved, for the exact same reasons."

Perfect words right there.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Damn!! That ad sounds really badass. Nike is really pushing the right buttons with Kobe. Don't be afraid to mention that some dislike you, embrace it.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
brownlakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

Great news, but I just saw this ad on NBA TV, it looks great smiliar to Kobe's Sprite Commerical
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Why do they always bring up Nutella?

Was Nutella really that big of a deal to Kobe?
I mean he had Sprite, Adidas, Nike, Spalding, and McDonalds just to name a few...
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Ooh, looking forward to seeing a new commercial from Kobe. It has been a while.
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Commercial sounds awesome!
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
Why do they always bring up Nutella?

Was Nutella really that big of a deal to Kobe?
I mean he had Sprite, Adidas, Nike, Spalding, and McDonalds just to name a few...

Well it was an Italian hazelnut chocolate spread seeing as how he grew up in Italy it may have had sentimental value but that's probably it.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Coop_21 wrote:
Quote:
'Love me or hate me, it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved, for the exact same reasons."

I absolutely LOVE that !!! LOVE IT !!! AWESOME and it moves me! I hope they directed his narrative just perfect, because those words are flawless and truly capture what is the public response and sentiment towards and about Kobe Bean Bryant.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Agreed LakerJam.

Those words absolutely epitomize Bryant's very existance. You hate him. He doesn't care. Cause he believes that at the end of the day, you WILL respect him.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
freshprince
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject:

yeah i heard about the commercial being simialr to his sprite ad from 2003...i love that...

thought i was not good enough...thought i shot too much...showed him working out, running, boxing and shooting..and i think squats

at the end with the music coming out of the tunnel at staples..i love my job!!!! he says...

he was rockin some dope kicks in those commecials too!!!!!!

can not wait to see this..just got my focus nike shirt from the nyc special limited release..pretty dope!!!!
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Anyone seen the Carl's Jr. poster? Has Jerry West, Kareem and Kobe on it? Says something to the tune of "Those who endure...conquer." I want one so bad.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait. I hope it recieves positive reactions. But as Kobe said, some people will like it, and some don't.

Hope Nike's Kobe ads pay off.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject:

"Love me or hate me, it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved, for the exact same reasons.''

magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
"Love me or hate me, it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved, for the exact same reasons.''

That is such an inspirational message. It just REALLY fits Kobe. This is going to be a GREAT commercial.
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:

I haven't seen the commercial, but it would be good if they use the music from Nas' and Puffy's song, "Hate me now."
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:

i heard it was on NBA TV earlier. Can anyone upload it. I'd like to see it as i don't really want to endure listening to Charles tonight in order to view the commercial.
MrLaker83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:
i heard it was on NBA TV earlier. Can anyone upload it. I'd like to see it as i don't really want to endure listening to Charles tonight in order to view the commercial.

HAHA!! Good point! I guess if no one can I guess I'll have to though!
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject:

Cannot wait to see that commercial.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
That is such an inspirational message. It just REALLY fits Kobe. This is going to be a GREAT commercial.

It also fits being a Laker and a Laker fan. It's been my new catchphrase for this season: Embrace the Hate.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:

Coop_21 wrote:
Quote:

Yup
DALAKERSRULE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:

MrLaker83 wrote:
CrimsonLaker wrote:

HAHA!! Good point! I guess if no one can I guess I'll have to though!

would you please, I would love to see it.
someone please upload it .
Gary_Harper363
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:

The fact this thread has been such a hit makes me think everyone on this message board is either a). 12 years old; or b). a 34-year old man who still lives at home with his mother and wishes Kobe would spoon him.

I am neither, although I wouldn't mind a night with Jeanie Buss.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: