Report: Russell Westbrook close to extension w/ Thunder

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Report: Russell Westbrook close to extension w/ Thunder

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/08/04/report-russell-westbrooks-extension-could-be-finalized-within-48-hours-but-thunder-havent-set-deadline/

Quote:
Report: Russell Westbrook’s extension could be finalized within 48 hours, but Thunder haven’t set deadline

Russell Westbrook is reportedly in “serious talks” with the Thunder on a renegotiation-and-extension.

A resolution could come soon.

Chris Broussard and Ramona Shelburne of ESPN:

All-Star guard Russell Westbrook and the Oklahoma City Thunder are in serious negotiations on a three-year max extension worth more than $85 million, which could be finalized within the next 48 hours, league sources told ESPN.

The source added that Oklahoma City is not giving Westbrook a hard deadline by which he must agree to the extension.

If a deal is expected within a couple days, of course the Thunder aren’t imposing a deadline. There’s no better use for their $8,770,726 in cap space than renegotiating-and-extending Westbrook’s deal. They’d gain team control over a superstar player, position themselves to attract outside help and, if it comes to it, improve value of a trade chip. Westbrook could probably take a week or two.

But, at some point, Oklahoma City will want to know where it stands. If Westbrook rejects a raise of nearly $9 million just to hit free agency a year sooner, that would say something. It wouldn’t mean Westbrook would absolutely leave the Thunder next summer, but it’d at least be an indicator and should make them think harder about trading him.

We’re a long way from that, though. Right now, an extension looks probable.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like a smart move for both WB and the Thunder.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject:

Interesting... I recall reading that he would get more money if he waits till Free Agency.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject:

That was a condition for trade to the Lakers. The Lakers aren't giving up a young potential start for someone that may not in a year.

LoL. Or more likely just wishful thinking on my part.
halosage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject:

Does not really make sense for him signing now...he can opt out and receive way more money....Potential trade scenario?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject:

halosage wrote:
Does not really make sense for him signing now...he can opt out and receive way more money....Potential trade scenario?

Because of a CBA technicality, the deal allows the Thunder to give him a $10 million raise this year, so he'll come out ahead. He can also become a free agent after next year, and be eligible for 35% of the cap, rather than the 30% he'd be next year.

So it's a good financial deal for him
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject:

So this does give OKC some more leverage in trading him? If he's locked into a 3-year deal, possible suitors don't have as much risk of losing him to FA; or at least until 2018?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Did anyone see this Enes Kanter thing?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2655814-enes-kanter-hits-lakers-fans-with-crying-jordan-meme-after-westbrook-re-signs

Now on one side, I was never an advocate for Westbrook. I think we're better off developing our youth. But this thing annoyed me a little bit because most Laker fans that I knew of weren't really crying for Westbrook.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject:

12 wrote:
Did anyone see this Enes Kanter thing?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2655814-enes-kanter-hits-lakers-fans-with-crying-jordan-meme-after-westbrook-re-signs

Now on one side, I was never an advocate for Westbrook. I think we're better off developing our youth. But this thing annoyed me a little bit because most Laker fans that I knew of weren't really crying for Westbrook.

Hope Kanter enjoys perennial first round exits for the next three years.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
So this does give OKC some more leverage in trading him? If he's locked into a 3-year deal, possible suitors don't have as much risk of losing him to FA; or at least until 2018?

If thats what they want to do, yes, since he won't be a 1 year rental. I don't think that's what they want to do though. They probably aren't ready to call it quits and go back to rebuilding now that Durant left. The previous season Durant only played 27 games and they were probably thinking about possible plans with just Westbrook if Durant couldn't recover. I think they will stick with him until he opts out in 2 years. And we would have to give up too much to get him now I would think, so on to the next one.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject:

I hope he does get locked into that deal... it helps us in attaining boogie
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Enes kanter trolling Lakers fans.

http://hoopshype.com/2016/08/04/enes-kanter-trolls-lakers-fans-so-hard/

That is ok Kanter. I am sure most Lakers fan didn't want Wesbrick! Have fun losing in the first round of the playoffs!
Showty
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject:

LOL at Kanter´s trolling, not only the Lakers´s fans were dreaming about Westbrook though.

He´s gonna have a very good year, now that Ibaka is gone i can see him starting and putting up some good numbers, although his defense will remain in Turkey.

But...wouldn´t be so ironic if somehow he ends up on the Lakers in the near future.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:

That is ok Kanter. I am sure most Lakers fan didn't want Wesbrick! Have fun losing in the first round of the playoffs!

I ain't gonna bother, but a dude whose name sounds like anus cancer shouldn't troll.

I think 2017 is the first year since 2011 where at least we have some dignity as fans, no offense to Kobe for the Brown/Dan Tony/By Scott years.

If you think about it, which would you have taken if you had to choose one or the other: Luke Walton replacing Byron Scott or getting Westbrook and keeping Byron Scott? I'm sure that poll would skew heavily towards Luke as great a player as Westbrook is. It has been DETH for 5 years with 3 terrible coaches and rosters. I think getting the coaching situation solved was as difficult if not MORE difficult than getting Westbrook, I think our success on that front is being undersold, and I'm not trying to cheapen our need for a superstar either. I've said before that the Lakers as a team are just going have to stand and deliver (ganas) and show they're worthy of a star name signing in LA. I doubt most of us as fans can blame these players from being gunshy regarding the Lakers.

On that hope, maybe Russell pans out next year, maybe Ingram/Zubac, maybe Nance. We have a roster that's young and may not make the playoffs, but next year should at least give us hope that we're finally on a positive and FUNCTIONAL track towards future success. Kinda like a lesser version of the 1995 renaissance season post-Showtime. We had some rough seasons before turning that corner into a young and athletic team. I don't think we'll do 48 wins like we did in 95 by any means, but I finally feel POSITIVE about being pointed in that direction. (And dump Swaggy ASAP).

Our self-esteem should be up, ladies and germs.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Interesting. Westbrook's telling of how he heard about KD's "Decision" does not jibe with the story Durant has been telling (I always heard how he and Russ talked, and Russ understood, etc etc)

https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/761346643753140224
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:

After that post, he entered a limo paid for by President Erdogan.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Good luck with that, dummy. Can't wait to see the star talent that rushes to join you in OKC.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: