Who is doing a better job at rebuilding. Phil Jackson? or Jim Buss?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who rebuilt better.
Phil
20%
 20%  [ 19 ]
Jim
79%
 79%  [ 75 ]
Total Votes : 94

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Who is doing a better job at rebuilding. Phil Jackson? or Jim Buss?

the Knicks rebuilt with a decent squad to take on Cleveland the same can't be said about the lakers and their west coast rival. I only bring this up given the that lakers and the Knicks were at the same pathetic spot when the rebuilds started it just looks like Phil is way ahead
singlecamVTEC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject:

IMO, Jim. That's with homer shades off.

NYK has the star names though, but in the long run.. Lakers have a higher ceiling.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Knicks started off in probably the worse spot in terms of future assets go. I don't think Phil has done a particularly good job---nothing worth pining over---but I don't think he's been particularly bad.

I'd rather be the Lakers, but for the actual topic, I reserve judgment for now.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject:

I'd pick Jim/Laker FO. The Knicks are probably going to have a better record than us this upcoming season(them playing in the east plays a big role in it), but I feel like we're much better off long term.

I don't see the Knicks being much of a challenge to the Cavs at all. Rose and Noah are huge question marks, Porzingis is only going to be in his second year, and Carmelo's aging. The rest of their roster, outside of Lee and Thomas, is nothing really special either. Hornacek was a good hire.

Both teams have some cap flexibility going forward as well. I think we're ahead because we have more pieces to develop for the future.

Last edited by Lakers95 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Here is the Knicks' depth chart:

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/depth/_/name/ny/new-york-knicks

You think that this is a successful rebuild? I guess if all of those guys stay healthy, they could make the playoffs or maybe even contend for a top 4 seed. Big if, though.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Lakers need 1 star piece to contend, Can Jim get the Lakers there missing piece?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakers need 1 star piece to contend, Can Jim get the Lakers there missing piece?

Russel resigned in Oklahoma.

Who else is left
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Russel resigned in Oklahoma.

Who else is left

Blake Griffin? Kevin Love?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Phil has Hall of Famers on his roster and, in the East, as we saw with Toronto, they do not need much to contend. Jim took the easier route of bottoming out for lottery picks. The trouble is only a couple of teams in history won without Hall of Famers, the '04 Pistons being a recent example and aside from Prince, their starters were acquired via trade not through the draft. I find it hard to praise Jim for tanking, so in that respect, Phil has done a better job...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Phil has Hall of Famers on his roster and, in the East, as we saw with Toronto, they do not need much to contend. Jim took the easier route of bottoming out for lottery picks. The trouble is only a couple of teams in history won without Hall of Famers, the '04 Pistons being a recent example and aside from Prince, their starters were acquired via trade not through the draft. I find it hard to praise Jim for tanking, so in that respect, Phil has done a better job...

So you are praising Phil for trading for a injury prone player and giving Noah 100+ money in contract? There draft pick of Porgz was very well animated, but the Knicks can't and won't win a championship so Jim is the easier choice and you know that.

Lakers are very very close to contending.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Kinda feel like our rebuild is starting this upcoming season. And NY isn't rebuilding. I'd describe what Phil is doing as retooling.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject:

I already Like Zubac as much as Porzingis, and I expect I may like him more. I think old Noah is garbage.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't call grabbing two injury prone stars and banking on their success to be a good job. The Knicks just scream as a tread mill team, good enough to make the playoffs, but not anywhere good enough to beat Lebron.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject:

I think Jim is sexier. No homer.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
I wouldn't call grabbing two injury prone stars and banking on their success to be a good job. The Knicks just scream as a tread mill team, good enough to make the playoffs, but not anywhere good enough to beat Lebron.

Yeah, this poll vote should be a large gap.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Knicks will be in true rebuild when Melo is off. Right now they have one valuable piece in Porzingis and a bunch of guys who are on decline and injury prone. Phil has had two lottery seasons with worse record than when he took over. Didn't even get 2016 pick so should have at least made a playoff run in weak East. They will be in 2013 Lakers stage soon but with one piece in Porzingis.

Lakers have Dlo, Ingram, Randle and late round steals in Clarkson, Nance, Zubac.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Rebuild? Jimmy boy, hands down.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Neither... My vote goes to the brainiacs in New Jersey. I think they have a bright future.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject:

the experts would not agree
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Lakers for the full rebuild. Phil obviously essembled a team that can get into the playoffs faster, but that is not a championship squad
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject:

I don't really consider what the Knicks are doing as "rebuilding". More like retooling. Keep in mind, they have a 32 y/o Melo, whom they likely think can lead them to a playoff run, and have surrounded him with vets who they think can resuscitate their careers. I don't exactly view them as a true contender, but I do think their ceiling is that of a ECSF team. Lakers, otoh, are better positioned for the future imo. The only true asset the Knicks have is Kristaps.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject:

I think had the Knicks decided to wait on Courtney Lee and wound up signing Wade instead the poll would be a little closer. But in terms of a REBUILD I'd say Jim thus far, Phil is just retooling the Knicks into a playoff 'sorta' team with a bunch of names so he can leave on that note, which is what the Knicks always did and often wound up losing assets because of it that would have helped them had they actually bit down and rebuilt.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

The only HOF on that roster is Melo, and he was there before Phil got there.

Knicks are fools gold. Even IF DRose gets back to his MVP form, and IF Noah regains his all-star form it still might not be enough to beat the Cavs. And that's a lot of big ifs.

They have a great rebuilding piece in Porzingis. What Phil should've done is traded Melo for draft picks and young talent while his value was still high and completely committed to a rebuild. Instead he's making the same mistakes the Knicks have made since the early 2000's of acquiring over-the-hill players that will only make them mediocre enough where they're not true contenders, but not bad enough to lose enough games to keep their draft picks.

Jimbo by a mile, and it's not even close.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject:

I think Phil has the same problem the Lakers did a few years back, which is try and add some talent before their superstar is done. I think Phil committed to Melo he would do that. Lakers honestly lucked into this. Two years in a row they could have lost their pick and got the #2. Lakers have drafted well (especially in the 2nd round), the one thing they do right. To say either has done better not really convinced either way. The Lakers FINALLY are committed to the rebuild but probably would have considered Westbrook or Cousins, so they are one flinch away from doing the same thing.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
I think Phil has the same problem the Lakers did a few years back, which is try and add some talent before their superstar is done. I think Phil committed to Melo he would do that. Lakers honestly lucked into this. Two years in a row they could have lost their pick and got the #2. Lakers have drafted well (especially in the 2nd round), the one thing they do right. To say either has done better not really convinced either way. The Lakers FINALLY are committed to the rebuild but probably would have considered Westbrook or Cousins, so they are one flinch away from doing the same thing.

So did the Warriors luck into drafting Curry, Klay, and Draymond?

What about the Thunder? Did they luck into Durant, Westbrook, and Harden?

They haven't flinched thus far, so, advantage JIMBO.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: