Sub-plots for the 2016 season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Sub-plots for the 2016 season

1. How well does Randle adjust to the new system? Will Ingram in affect, outplay Him, earn the SF spot and then Deng slides over to become the starting PF? I think Ingram can do it and makes us more balanced on the floor.

2. By mid-season, who will be the better Laker power forward Nance or Randle? Which of these two will have the better mid-range game and be the better defender? Randle can rebound, can he do enough else to hold off Nance? Nance is closing the gap.

3. When will the Nick Young nightmare be over? Hopefully right after September 1st.

4. Will Black play well enough to earn the 2nd year of his deal? It seems like we overpaid for Him, and if his offensive game doesn't improve, I could see Him being like the last Jordan Hill deal. My guess is he's gone in 2017.

5. How long in the season until we pass last years 17 wins? I'll say mid-January.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject:

Other "subplots"

1. Is DLO really a "point guard?"
Purp&Gold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject:

By mid-season,

1. Is Zubac our best player?
NYCLaker
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject:

Pending our record in at allstar break, will the FO pressure Luke to tank....
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject:

Purp&Gold wrote:
By mid-season,

1. Is Zubac our best player?

Zubac looks to be a great player, but he is a 19 year old big-man, so I think he gets brought along very slowly this year and probably won't get heavy starter minutes until his 3rd year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject:

NYCLaker wrote:

Highly doubt it. You don't promote a growing culture of competition and competence, then tell your rookie Coach to tank.

They may lose games but it won't be because they intentionally decided to.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject:

How many more draft picks can Calderon get us
NYCLaker
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:

Highly doubt it. You don't promote a growing culture of competition and competence, then tell your rookie Coach to tank.

They can. For example. they could pressure Luke to start players a, c and c, even though they suck together to raise trade value or to tank. Not like they didn't with Scott
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject:

NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:

They can. For example. they could pressure Luke to start players a, c and c, even though they suck together to raise trade value or to tank. Not like they didn't with Scott

You mean like start DLO/JC/Deng/Randle/Moz?
NYCLaker
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:

Players that don't fit the mold of Luke's vision.

Also, if our record is bad, they might collectively agree to tank to obtain the 2017 draft pick.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject:

NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:

Also, if our record is bad, they might collectively agree to tank to obtain the 2017 draft pick.

I really doubt it, especially given our miniscule chances of keeping a top 3 pick.

I'm satisfied with 2 #2 picks. Time to grow instead of tank.
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:

NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:

You're giving Byron Scott too much credit. He didn't tank the last 2 years because Jim and Mitch told him to, the Lakers were horrible because he's a horrible coach.
NYCLaker
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:

I really doubt it, especially given our miniscule chances of keeping a top 3 pick.

Almost everyone around the league has us pegged for worst or second worst in the west and bottom 3 overall. Getting the top 3 pick will be luck/ nba rigging, however, the players coming out next summer will be huge for us immediately.

Buss and kupchak definitely knows this and will be tempted. Also, we might not directly even have to tank, since as many others stated, we will be in the bottom 3 regardless
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Almost everyone around the league has us pegged for worst or second worst in the west and bottom 3 overall. Getting the top 3 pick will be luck/ nba rigging, however, the players coming out next summer will be huge for us immediately.

Buss and kupchak definitely knows this and will be tempted. Also, we might not directly even have to tank, since as many others stated, we will be in the bottom 3 regardless

So if we're the bottom 3 with our slated starting lineup, how do you intend to get worse? Starting Zubac at SF?
NYCLaker
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

So if we're the bottom 3 with our slated starting lineup, how do you intend to get worse? Starting Zubac at SF?

For example, benching Mozgov and starting Zubac. Shutting down players with slight injuries. ETc. Many ways to indirectly tank with player personnel.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:

NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

For example, benching Mozgov and starting Zubac. Shutting down players with slight injuries. ETc. Many ways to indirectly tank with player personnel.

God I hate talking about tanking. I'm over it. I think the Lakers are too.

But of course you don't have to be.
NYCLaker
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Well, if the two options are tanking/getting top 3 pick or finishing right above the threshold and missing out on the pick, than I would choose choice A.

Obvious, if we just miss the playoffs and get a top 3 pick, that would be the most ideal situation...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject:

NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Well, if the two options are tanking/getting top 3 pick or finishing right above the threshold and missing out on the pick, than I would choose choice A.

Obvious, if we just miss the playoffs and get a top 3 pick, that would be the most ideal situation...

I don't see being the worst team in the NBA as a goal for the Lakers, especially if there's only a small chance we get a top 3 pick.

To me the goal is to begin a positive culture and system. Tanking does not help that and leaves another terrible impression on prospective FAs. Why not tank in 2018 too while you're at it?

What did KD say? We're just not even "there" yet. Tanking and aiming to be one of the worst puts us right back into that territory.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:

IF we're nowhere near .500 at all star break. Luke should just play DLo, JC, Ingram, Randle, Nance 30+ MPG. THey all don't have to play in a lineup together, just give those young guys as many minutes as possible.
The more reps for the young guys, the faster the rebuild pushes forward.
If giving those guys as many minutes as possible = losing games. So be it. Our young guys combined for an average of 27 MPG under Scott last year. So 30+ MPG is a good benchmark IMO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:

IF we're nowhere near .500 at all star break. Luke should just play DLo, JC, Ingram, Randle, Nance 30+ MPG. THey all don't have to play in a lineup together, just give those young guys as many minutes as possible.
If giving those guys as many minutes as possible = losing games. So be it. Our young guys combined for an average of 27 MPG under Scott last year. So 30+ MPG is a good benchmark IMO.

And that's not tanking. Again, I see a major stigma attached to that philosophy. We've gathered the fruits of our dis-labor...let's build on it.

I'm ALL for the notion of playing a DLO/JC/Ingram/Randle/Nance/Zubac heavier minutes at the end of the year. I don't consider that tanking.

Tanking would be to start Huertas/Brown/Young/Black/Auguste (if he made the team) and just totally try to lose games on purpose.
NYCLaker
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I don't see being the worst team in the NBA as a goal for the Lakers, especially if there's only a small chance we get a top 3 pick.

To me the goal is to begin a positive culture and system. Tanking does not help that and leaves another terrible impression on prospective FAs. Why not tank in 2018 too while you're at it?

What did KD say? We're just not even "there" yet. Tanking and aiming to be one of the worst puts us right back into that territory.

In 2018, we lose our pick regardless of where we finish... This is Luke's first season, so I don't really expect many wins with the current team. No one probably predicted 17 last season, but thats where we were.

If we went from pick #1-3 to #6, for improving the culture that would be the worse scenario for us.
NYCLaker
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:

And that's not tanking. Again, I see a major stigma attached to that philosophy. We've gathered the fruits of our dis-labor...let's build on it.

I'm ALL for the notion of playing a DLO/JC/Ingram/Randle/Nance/Zubac heavier minutes at the end of the year. I don't consider that tanking.

Tanking would be to start Huertas/Brown/Young/Black/Auguste (if he made the team) and just totally try to lose games on purpose.

WEll, if you start all the young guys like

Russ-JC-Ingram-Randle-Zubac, that is tanking.. Since, we have better options available to win games now. Hence, "indirect tanking."
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject:

1. Will Deangelo Russel quickly climb to the ranks of best NBA point guard only to be trapped by the fast life, becoming addicted to partying and prescription drugs, alienating his teammates and eventually hitting rock bottom the day he shows up to the all star game drunk and disorderly. But then he is supported and encouraged by the young core and eventually makes a triumphant return at the Staples Center???

2. Will Larry Nance, in a strange twist of fate be wrongfully accused of rape during a road game in Denver only to be rescued by no other than Kobe Bryant, who completed law school, passed the bar and became one of the most skilled defense attorneys over the summer??

3. Will Brandon Ingram, who was reported to still be growing, grow???

4. Will Nick Young and Lou Williams finally be voted off the island???

These questions and more to be answered this season in Total Drama Lakers!
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:

Time to move forward and build to the future. If we just wanted to tank, we would have kept Scott and kept playing Groundhog Day.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject:

^ Bingo. If the primary goal was the #1 pick for 2017, our head coach would be Byron and Kobe would have gotten a 1 year 35m deal.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: