Ray Allen has talked to Celtics and Bucks about possible comeback

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Ray Allen has talked to Celtics and Bucks about possible comeback

Just go to teams I don't care for (I can at least combine my hate with certain teams/players that way)

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/08/06/ray-allen-has-talked-to-celtics-and-bucks-about-possible-comeback/

Quote:
Ray Allen has talked to Celtics and Bucks about possible comeback

Ray Allen hasn’t played in the NBA since the 2013-14 season, but he never officially announced his retirement. Rumors have popped up sporadically since LeBron James returned to Cleveland in 2014 that Allen would follow him there after playing two years in Miami before that, but nothing has ever come of it. But Allen recently told Dom Amore of the Hartford Courant that he hasn’t shut the door on continuing his NBA career, and he’s had conversations with two of his former teams, the Bucks and Celtics.

““My decision is predicated on what is available,” he said. “I said that I was interested because I never retired for a reason. I’ve been watching, seeing what teams have been doing and I’ve been waiting to see if the opportunity presented itself where I think I could fit.”

The Spurs and Clippers have been mentioned, also, but Allen said he has spoken with the Celtics, with whom he won a championship in 2008, and the Bucks, his first NBA stop.

“I would love going back to those places if it worked out,” Allen said, “because both teams are good, too. It doesn’t necessarily have to be championship-or-bust for me to go back to the NBA.

“I want to be in a situation where I thought I could help, play a little bit and help where they have good young talent.””

Allen is 41 years old, but he’s apparently kept himself in good shape, and shooters tend to age well. If he really wants to play again after two years off, and a team wants to add him, it could work.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject:

He can go play for the Sonics.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject:

He said he wants to go to a team with good young talent and that he's not chasing a championship.

DoItMitch?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
He said he wants to go to a team with good young talent and that he's not chasing a championship.

DoItMitch?

no.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

DoItMitch?

Could always use more compost.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Warriors.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject:

First, you mentioned the teams who would unlikely want you.
It is just a way of saying, hey I am available.
Once a ring chaser will remain the same.
I wont be surprised if he sells his soul to Bron or Curry.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Warriors.

Curry
Ray
Klay
Durant
Green

Wow
NYCLaker
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject:

Celtics already have too many guards on their team... Unless, they sign Allen and trade one of them + picks for something
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:

Don't know why you think he has to "sell his soul" to join the Cavs or Warriors (heck, I don't even now you mean by that).

I could see almost any team in the league wanting him. For a competitor, he's a sharp shooter off the bench. For a building team, he's a great model of professionalism.

If he willing wants to play, lots of teams will line up. In fact, rather than begging for a spot (as you seem to suggest), he'll be sitting back and seeing if he likes their pitch about his role with the team.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

Don't know why you think he has to "sell his soul" to join the Cavs or Warriors (heck, I don't even now you mean by that).

I could see almost any team in the league wanting him. For a competitor, he's a sharp shooter off the bench. For a building team, he's a great model of professionalism.

If he willing wants to play, lots of teams will line up. In fact, rather than begging for a spot (as you seem to suggest), he'll be sitting back and seeing if he likes their pitch about his role with the team.

LeBron owe him for his 2nd chip, he'll get Gilbert to write a check for Jesus Shuttlesworth
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject:

He'd be a great fit for the Bucks. They need a shooter, vet mentor, and experience. I always felt like Ray should finish his career with the Bucks and then move upstairs to a front office position.
NYCLaker
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn't the Clippers be an ideal fit.

Doesn't need to do much in the reg season, knows Doc, Pierce was able to play the last 2 seasons there and would be a suitable sub for JJ Reddick, rather than Austen Rivers.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject:

NYCLaker wrote:
Wouldn't the Clippers be an ideal fit.

Doesn't need to do much in the reg season, knows Doc, Pierce was able to play the last 2 seasons there and would be a suitable sub for JJ Reddick, rather than Austen Rivers.

I believe Crawford was the backup sg, and Rivers the backup pg.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/08/09/report-ray-allen-wants-to-play-to-extend-his-3-point-record-over-stephen-curry/

Quote:
Report: Ray Allen wants to play to extend his 3-point record over Stephen Curry

Ray Allen is making news about a potential comeback. Again.

I figured Allen just looking for attention, but he might have another motivation:

Stephen Curry.

Gary Washburn of The Boston Globe, via CSN New England:

“Ray wants to play again. I’m sure about that. I don’t think he particularly enjoys watching Stephen Curry rain 3s and challenge his record and be called the best shooter in the world. I think that bothers him. I know Ray wants to extend his all-time 3-point record.”

Allen has spoken positively about Curry, but that doesn’t preclude the competitive Allen from wanting to best Curry.

Allen still holds the all-time 3-point record (2,973), but it appears to be only a matter of time until 19th-place Curry (1,593) passes him.

Here are the career arcs for 3-pointers through each age for Curry (yellow) and Allen (green):

If Allen returns, he’ll certainly play a limited role, and his 3-point pace would flatten even further. But every additional Allen 3-pointer makes it a little less likely Curry catches him.

It’d still probably take a bigger shift – Curry getting hurt or the NBA moving back the arc – but Allen could buy himself a little more margin for error by playing again.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/08/09/report-ray-allen-wants-to-play-to-extend-his-3-point-record-over-stephen-curry/

Quote:
Report: Ray Allen wants to play to extend his 3-point record over Stephen Curry

Ray Allen is making news about a potential comeback. Again.

I figured Allen just looking for attention, but he might have another motivation:

Stephen Curry.

Gary Washburn of The Boston Globe, via CSN New England:

“Ray wants to play again. I’m sure about that. I don’t think he particularly enjoys watching Stephen Curry rain 3s and challenge his record and be called the best shooter in the world. I think that bothers him. I know Ray wants to extend his all-time 3-point record.”

Allen has spoken positively about Curry, but that doesn’t preclude the competitive Allen from wanting to best Curry.

Allen still holds the all-time 3-point record (2,973), but it appears to be only a matter of time until 19th-place Curry (1,593) passes him.

Here are the career arcs for 3-pointers through each age for Curry (yellow) and Allen (green):

If Allen returns, he’ll certainly play a limited role, and his 3-point pace would flatten even further. But every additional Allen 3-pointer makes it a little less likely Curry catches him.

It’d still probably take a bigger shift – Curry getting hurt or the NBA moving back the arc – but Allen could buy himself a little more margin for error by playing again.

I don't mind speculation, but stupid speculation is irritating. If this guy couldn't think of anything to write, he should have just taken the day off.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: